Learn me about stationary bikes

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

A nonny mouse

Re: Learn me about stationary bikes

Post by A nonny mouse »

yeah, the cost and "professional installation" is probably to save them the headaches of dopes not knowing how to set it up, thinking they do, and calling the company in frustration.

but those nickle-and-dime things bug the crap out of me.

Can you change the resistance on it to simulate climbing or gear shifts? Or maybe I should read the website, right? :)

edit: never mind, I looked at the web page again and saw the resistance knob on the downtube.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

A nonny mouse wrote:yeah, the cost and "professional installation" is probably to save them the headaches of dopes not knowing how to set it up, thinking they do, and calling the company in frustration.

but those nickle-and-dime things bug the crap out of me.

Can you change the resistance on it to simulate climbing or gear shifts? Or maybe I should read the website, right? :)

edit: never mind, I looked at the web page again and saw the resistance knob on the downtube.
I like that the metrics are presented on the tablet for you so when the instructor says "increase resistance to 30%" you can just dial it quickly to that setting.

My 'accessories' arrived yesterday. Heart monitor, shoes, bike mat, etc. Everything looks to be of good quality, although I've never owned cycling shoes before. T minus 2 days till delivery.

Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
disarm

Post by disarm »

Smutly wrote:My 'accessories' arrived yesterday. Heart monitor, shoes, bike mat, etc. Everything looks to be of good quality, although I've never owned cycling shoes before. T minus 2 days till delivery.
I have two other pair of cycling shoes, one relatively inexpensive for mountain biking and one higher-end pair of road shoes. The Peloton shoes seem to be surprisingly good quality for the price, leaning more toward the feel of my $250 road shoes...ratcheting straps, comfortable, and a sufficiently stiff sole to support hard pedaling without any noticeable flex. I don't plan on using mine outside my basement, so durability hopefully won't be a problem.

We got a free accessory pack with our bike, but I have yet to try the heart rate monitor or headphones that they included...
disarm

Post by disarm »

Smutly... Any update on your bike? We're about a month in more and still love ours. My wife does live rides on an almost daily basis, and I've been hopping on a for times a week. It's great exercise, and they really do have classes that will appeal to just about anyone. I did a ride last week that we entirely music by Motley Crue and it was awesome
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

disarm wrote:Smutly... Any update on your bike? We're about a month in more and still love ours. My wife does live rides on an almost daily basis, and I've been hopping on a for times a week. It's great exercise, and they really do have classes that will appeal to just about anyone. I did a ride last week that we entirely music by Motley Crue and it was awesome Image
I'm loving the Peloton. So here's the update:

I swapped the seat for something a little less painful for someone who has never exercised by riding a bike. Maybe I will swap the seat back to the original later, but for now I'm glad I did because I didn't want that to be a barrier to its use. The only downside is that the shock absorbers make some noise when I'm really going fast but I'm okay with that.

I'm doing the beginner 30 minute rides right now. My intention is to get up to 45 and 60 minute rides as my endurance increases. I'm trying to take it slowly and I have had a couple of set backs (on pain pills right now for a neck issue), but this will pass and I will be back on. It's amazing how even the on demand videos are motivating. The instructors are really good at keeping you involved and on track -- which is exactly what I was hoping for.

I honestly see this as the path I will take for years to come. It's that cool. Love the metrics. Love how it keeps your history. Love that you can download all your rides with all the detail. Very cool.

My wife hasn't taken advantage of it yet. She gets her exercise early in the morning by jogging with the dogs and is in a good routine so she doesn't want to mess that up. I imagine she will use it eventually.

It's expensive, but my health is worth it.
Black Lives Matter*

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I had noticed the lack of updates, and thought to myself, "well this conversation is going nowhere".

:ninja:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

You guys are making it tough to put off buying one of these suckers, damn.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
disarm

Post by disarm »

I think my biggest surprise has been the impressive community of riders. If you join the riders Facebook group, you'll see the amazing way that total strangers come together to support and encourage each other. It's a very busy group, and even the instructors play a frequent role instead of just recording their classes and ignoring the rest of the time. I'm not particularly active in the community, but I see enough to understand how great it is for those who choose to participate.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

I was using the Peloton chest heart monitor, but would find that at some point during most rides it would flatline on me at a greatly reduced heart rate. I would readjust the strap and eventually it would pop back up, but after several rides of this happening I decided to invest in a different heart monitor. I went with the Scosche RHYTHM+ Dual ANT+/Bluetooth Smart Optical HR Band. I'm five rides into using it and am having no signal drop out and it's more comfortable to wear. I didn't like the chest strap and this is much less intrusive.
Black Lives Matter*

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I am ready to pull the trigger on buying a Peloton though i may wait to see if they have a Black Friday deal- they have had one the last few years or is a referral code just as good? The last couple years of BF deals look equivalent to a referral.

If someone has a code and the savings are the equal of last years BF deal I will use your code.

Is there an OO Peloton group?
disarm

Post by disarm »

We're coming up one year with our Peloton, and my wife still loves it...rides almost every day and has made a ton of friends in the Peloton community that all work to encourage each other. She has traveled to the studio in NYC to ride with friends she's made a couple times, and has nothing but great things to say about the bike and everyone involved. In fact, she was invited to the headquarters last month and was part of a small group that met with the CEO (John Foley) to discuss what riders like, don't like, or would like to have added to their experience. The company and community are growing like crazy, and they seem to be paying close attention to how to keep the community aspect strong.

As for buying a bike, they tend to run similar deals every time they have a sale...free delivery, or an accessory package (includes shoes)...both of which are about a $250 value. These deals are pretty infrequent, but they should have something coming up for Black Friday.

If you decide to purchase, my referral code is FX9V8A. A referral now gets you $100 off of accessories, and nets me a $100 credit at the Peloton Boutique (clothing or accessories).
disarm

Post by disarm »

Double post...
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Ended up pulling the trigger today with their Black Friday deal- unfortunately can't use a referral code.

Looking forward to jumping on the bike and exploring the spinning world of Peloton. The Facebook rider page seems to be a pretty good group of people
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Ok, here I am seriously considering a Peloton.

Having reoccurring hip problems with running has nearly convinced me that my days off running is coming to an end.

My wife has been eyeing those silly looking EFX type outdoor bikes I just can't see investing $1K+ for her. This would definitely be more fictional and practical.

Any deals going on now or suggestions on how to get the best possible price?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
disarm

Post by disarm »

There really aren't any deals to be had on the Peloton unless you happen to find someone selling one used. The only time I've seen them run a significant sale is around the holidays, and they that's only a discount on accessories or delivery...will always be paying the same price for a new bike.

That said, let me know if you decide to purchase the bike. I can give you a referral link that will get you $100 off accessories for the bike (and $100 in Peloton Boutique credit for my wife).

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

disarm wrote:There really aren't any deals to be had on the Peloton unless you happen to find someone selling one used. The only time I've seen them run a significant sale is around the holidays, and they that's only a discount on accessories or delivery...will always be paying the same price for a new bike.

That said, let me know if you decide to purchase the bike. I can give you a referral link that will get you $100 off accessories for the bike (and $100 in Peloton Boutique credit for my wife).
Peloton ordered!!! Shoot me your referral code asap!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I can't believe you bought your wife a fictional bike.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Xmann wrote:
disarm wrote:There really aren't any deals to be had on the Peloton unless you happen to find someone selling one used. The only time I've seen them run a significant sale is around the holidays, and they that's only a discount on accessories or delivery...will always be paying the same price for a new bike.

Peloton ordered!!! Shoot me your referral code asap!
Check your PM for the referral code. Sorry I didn't see your message sooner. Enjoy!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

OK, reading this thread is really tempting me. I've done some running, but never really biked much. Are there lots of programs for beginner riders or is this for people who are already hardcore?
disarm

Post by disarm »

gbasden wrote:OK, reading this thread is really tempting me. I've done some running, but never really biked much. Are there lots of programs for beginner riders or is this for people who are already hardcore?
The Peloton programs are for people of all fitness levels. They vary in both duration and difficulty, and the rides are ultimately only as difficult as you make them...can always vary the resistance or your cadence to match your ability. There really is something for everyone.

If you're interested but unsure (and have an iPhone/iPad), they run a free trial for the Peloton app...explore all the same content that's available to those who subscribe to their service and see what you think. Unfortunately, they still don't have support for Android devices Image
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I have had a Peloton since day after Thanksgiving.

Am 142 rides in and this is the best fitness purchase I have ever made.

There are rides for all levels. Additionally, there are programs for Power Zone and Heart Rate training. Power Zone training is tailored to your fitness level. You take a Functional Power Threshold test (20 minutes of challenge and then some) which sets your FTP and your zone levels. There a lot of PZ rides with two great instructors and your zones are displayed right on the tablet. All PZ rides have the instructor tell you what zone to be in but because your FTP number sets the zones everyone is challenged the same even with different FTPs.

Every class, other than live rides, has the difficulty level displayed (which is based on rider feedback).

There are also a lot of scenic rides where you it is up to you. There is also just ride where you have nothing but stats displayed.

You also get bootcamp, strength, running, yoga and stretching classes with your subscription
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm so excited I can't wait until mine gets here Friday.

I'm worried my chronic hip problems have severely hampered my running so the Peloton is exactly what I need.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm weak and you convinced me. I didn't see any space for a referral code when I ordered, though! Can I email them and ask them to apply it? How does that work?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

gbasden wrote:I'm weak and you convinced me. I didn't see any space for a referral code when I ordered, though! Can I email them and ask them to apply it? How does that work?
PM sent
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Congratulations and welcome to the cult.
unfortunately I think once your order is placed they won't apply any codes.....at least that is what I think the policy is.

If XPO is the delivery company, and not Peloton, make sure you thoroughly inspect the bike before they leave- look at every screw if you can, make sure the pedals are attached correctly.

Peloton delivery teams are superb......XPO has more than a few black marks on their delivery performance.

For bad hips I think you may want to limit out of the saddle or maybe not do it at all.

If you have any questions about rides, instructors etc. between my GF and I we have about 400 rides. Get some bluetooth earbuds or headset as the tablet sound is pointed away from you and not all that good. I tried earbuds but like headset better.

Prepare to sweat......a lot. I have a fan pointed at me now which helps lower sweat volume but without it I am a sweat factory.
disarm

Post by disarm »

This doesn't fit the bike topic, but this has also become a bit of a Peloton thread, so I'll mention here that our Peloton Tread treadmill was finally delivered this morning.

Unfortunately, it was defective on arrival and is effectively a 500 pound paperweight for now. There's a large area in the middle of the screen where touch recognition doesn't work, so we can't even get through the first screen of setup...and the actual treadmill function doesn't work without the software loaded and updated. Peloton is already working to replace the whole thing, but we have no idea how soon we'll be able to schedule another delivery.

It's a very impressive looking piece of equipment though. The screen is massive and dwarfs the one on the Peloton bike...

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I saw that they were releasing this. I’ve started running on my current treadmill and was intrigued. How is the running surface compared to traditional treadmills?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
disarm

Post by disarm »

RunningMn9 wrote:I saw that they were releasing this. I’ve started running on my current treadmill and was intrigued. How is the running surface compared to traditional treadmills?
I haven't had the chance to try it yet due to the aforementioned problems, but my wife ran on one at a Peloton store. She says that it definitely has a different feel, but in a good way...very smooth and a little more spring under your feet compared to the standard treadmill we're replacing. I asked her if it's kind of like running on a rubberized track, and she said "sort of...but not that soft."

I'll post my impressions once we get one that works...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Would appreciate, thanks. My old-ass knees would appreciate a little more forgiveness. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My wife had me set up her resistance trainer in the basement. I connected her essentially brand-new mountain bike to it (used just once, for an 18 mile ride 6 months ago) and she's okay with it. Doesn't love it, says the resistance is too up and down, but at least she can do some cross-training while it's icy or muddy out. Her workout area in the basement has a 110 inch projection screen, projector, headphone jack and four pieces of equipment - elliptical, treadmill, rowing machine, and bike.

I think I'm going to make a little project out of cleaning up the area more so she's not so cramped down there.

The big screen has been very helpful in giving her something to do/watch while she's working on any of the items down there. I'm starting to feel like I should be down there, too, watching movies or something instead of gaming in the evenings after everyone goes to bed. Working out has never been my thing - I find it downright tedious, painful, and incredibly hard to keep up with - but being able to watch Deadpool while I bike for an hour might be okay.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah or find some videos on games you enjoy from YouTube and watch those, that's what I do on my stationary bike (not Peloton, no budget for that).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I listen to audiobooks. Used to listen to music. Easier (for me) than focusing on video.

As far as the resistance trainer goes, I usually set it to slight and shift gears to make pedaling harder.
Black Lives Matter