DXRacer Chairs

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Cylus Maxii

DXRacer Chairs

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm thinking about getting a DXRacer Boss series chair. I'd like to know if any of you have any experience with the company and their products. The only OO reference I can find is that LordNine bought one on black Friday in 2014.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Re: DXRacer Chairs

Post by Daehawk »

Seen a lot of video reviews on them the last few years. Seem like nice chairs just expensive.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

How serendipitous. Yesterday I placed an order for the DXRacer Classic. It's not a part of their Fall promotion but I found an online coupon for a smaller discount. I've read both good and bad reviews. Some of the bad ones I thought were picky and so they didn't bother me too much. I haven't gotten a tracking number yet. Will let you know more when I actually get the chair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

My wife got me one of these last May. I think it's one of the Formula series. I really like it. The model I got is pretty narrow, which fits me well, but if I was bigger, it'd be tight. Make sure you check their size guide to get one that'll fit you. I use it on WFH days, so I'm in it for about 9-10 hours at a stretch, and it's comfy. If you're the kind of person who sits with one leg under their thigh or anything, it probably won't work because of the bolstering.

A friend has had a different model for a year or two. He had a problem with the strapping on the lumbar pad fraying recently, but he contacted them and they sent him a new one, so that was fine.

If I had to change anything, I'm not crazy about the traction plate things on the ends of the rolly legs. They've got a sharp corner on them that's not comfortable when I put my foot on them barefoot or in socks. But that's pretty minor.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I loved mine for the first year I had it…now not so much. The chair is still comfortable but it has started to wear out in a big way. Moving or shifting results in horrible creaking and clanking noises that make it sound like it’s going to fall apart at any moment. I have a friend who bought one around the same time as me whose chair is even noisier than mine at this point, so this does appear to be an unfortunate normal occurrence.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Thanks for the advice. I had already checked the size guidesfor these and the BOSS series is probably my best bet. I am about 5'11 and 285 (on a good day). The boss goes up to 425 lbs. Bolster width won't be an issue as I have no ass and it seems just fine on that model. Many of the models are limited to 250 or less. The Classic series Big&Tall are rated up to 250#. The Tank series, King series and Sentinel series can all support me as well. But two of those those are for taller folks and I don't like the styling as much. I'd say the Sentinel would perhaps be a 2nd choice for me. But I like the Boss Series the best.

L9 - is your chair model rated comfortably for your weight/height?

Also - I've looked into a local Internet café that supposedly has these around to look at - but seems like a bust. They only have a couple of the smaller models.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yep, this is the chair I bought. Weight limit is 330 pounds, I thankfully don't come anywhere near that.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

I wrote their customer service and asked for a recommendation. I went for the Classic because it has an open design (not narrow per racing). I also on occasion will tuck my leg, so I knew the other models wouldn't work.

Black Lives Matter*

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Smutly wrote:I wrote their customer service and asked for a recommendation. I went for the Classic because it has an open design (not narrow per racing). I also on occasion will tuck my leg, so I knew the other models wouldn't work.

Good idea. I may call them myself. I just want the best fit and for it to hold up. I noticed that Classic has the exactly same styling as the Boss except it has a pocket in the back. But the Boss is on sale for 25% off making it much closer in price than normal.

BTW - did you get the foot-rest model? I'm not sure that would be used much by me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I often tuck one leg, and at home will often sit cross legged in the chair.

I've just gone through a couple of standard office chairs. One was cloth but fully adjustable. It tilts to the right now as to the left was just a blank wall, meaning I was turning to the right to talk to people and/or reach for things. I still have it, but it's garbage. The cushioning is so far gone that you can actually feel the pointy end of a screw coming up through the cushion to stab you in the butt.

I had a decent costco leather chair that has most of the leather worn off the seat. I put a folded up blanket on it now to increase the cushioning. It's ok, but I weigh more than it's rated for now ( :oops: ) and it has seen better days. The kids use it now.

My wife bought me a decent chair from Staples that was 50% off and came in around 120 bucks. It's not as well made as the costco one and I don't expect it to last more than 2 or 3 years or so.

I should probably spend the money for a "good" chair, but I kind of abuse them so spending a couple hundred bucks every few years seems like a decent compromise.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

GG - my current chair is from Costco or Sam's and was rated to I think #275. But it has virtually no cushioning left right now and the tilt and height mechanisms have started to hang/slip. It has no seat tilt or arm height adjustment, its fairly basic in adjustability. It has lasted about 3 years, but was a lot less comfortable after the first 6 to 8 months. I think it ran me somewhat less than $200 at the time. I just want something that will actually be comfortable for a long while. Good adjustability would be really helpful.

The DXRacer chairs seem well designed and have been very well reviewed for the most part. Any isues I've ever read about were addressed by the manufacturer. So I feel pretty good about buying from them. It doesn't hurt that they are on sale right now. (Well, a lot of them are anyway.) However, I am looking for any ghosts in the closet or highly recommended alternatives.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I recently bought a new office chair for myself.

After years of spending $100 to $200 on office chairs that I inevitably destroy after 18 months, I opted to duplicate the model I have at work that lasted me years without flinching. I've only had it for a month, but it's working just fine.

I present, for your dismay, the $129 Medium-Back Armless Chair from Staples. I'm hoping I get the same life out of this at home as I did at work. Years of sitting my 265lb ass on it for 8 hours a day, no problems. The back didn't bend to hell, the cushion didn't get flattened. Great for swiveling, works backwards with me straddling it, tuck the back under an arm and sit sideways, or put a leg up under my ass while playing.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I emailed DXRacer about chair recommendations and they replied within 15 minutes. So, brownie points for them!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Lordnine wrote:I loved mine for the first year I had it…now not so much. The chair is still comfortable but it has started to wear out in a big way. Moving or shifting results in horrible creaking and clanking noises that make it sound like it’s going to fall apart at any moment. I have a friend who bought one around the same time as me whose chair is even noisier than mine at this point, so this does appear to be an unfortunate normal occurrence.
Have you called them? It has a 2 year warranty on everything and lifetime on the frame.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cylus Maxii wrote:GG - my current chair is from Costco or Sam's and was rated to I think #275. But it has virtually no cushioning left right now and the tilt and height mechanisms have started to hang/slip. It has no seat tilt or arm height adjustment, its fairly basic in adjustability. It has lasted about 3 years, but was a lot less comfortable after the first 6 to 8 months. I think it ran me somewhat less than $200 at the time. I just want something that will actually be comfortable for a long while. Good adjustability would be really helpful.
Oh yeah, I was just running down my history as my wife recently purchased a new chair. Don't take what I said as a suggestion to do as I do.

The costco chair gas cylinder eventually started giving out, slowly. So slowly that you didn't realize you were dropping until you were reaching up to the keyboard on the desk. :D
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
Lordnine wrote:I loved mine for the first year I had it…now not so much. The chair is still comfortable but it has started to wear out in a big way. Moving or shifting results in horrible creaking and clanking noises that make it sound like it’s going to fall apart at any moment. I have a friend who bought one around the same time as me whose chair is even noisier than mine at this point, so this does appear to be an unfortunate normal occurrence.
Have you called them? It has a 2 year warranty on everything and lifetime on the frame.
I haven’t. When I first got the chair it had a defective lift cylinder. It took them two weeks to get back to me after numerous attempts at reaching them and then another week to send me a replacement. I don’t really like the prospect of how much trouble I would go through to get the whole thing replaced.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I've been sitting in mine since 8am, and my ass is still perfectly happy. I do wish I had the footrest though. I'd use that all the time.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
Smutly wrote:I wrote their customer service and asked for a recommendation. I went for the Classic because it has an open design (not narrow per racing). I also on occasion will tuck my leg, so I knew the other models wouldn't work.

Good idea. I may call them myself. I just want the best fit and for it to hold up. I noticed that Classic has the exactly same styling as the Boss except it has a pocket in the back. But the Boss is on sale for 25% off making it much closer in price than normal.

BTW - did you get the foot-rest model? I'm not sure that would be used much by me.
No, I didn't opt for the leg rest. I just thought I wouldn't use it very much.
Black Lives Matter*

Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Cylus Maxii wrote:GG - my current chair is from Costco or Sam's and was rated to I think #275. But it has virtually no cushioning left right now and the tilt and height mechanisms have started to hang/slip. It has no seat tilt or arm height adjustment, its fairly basic in adjustability. It has lasted about 3 years, but was a lot less comfortable after the first 6 to 8 months. I think it ran me somewhat less than $200 at the time. I just want something that will actually be comfortable for a long while. Good adjustability would be really helpful.

The DXRacer chairs seem well designed and have been very well reviewed for the most part. Any isues I've ever read about were addressed by the manufacturer. So I feel pretty good about buying from them. It doesn't hurt that they are on sale right now. (Well, a lot of them are anyway.) However, I am looking for any ghosts in the closet or highly recommended alternatives.
You might also consider NeedforSeat. They also gave a recommendation based on my stats and deal breakers.
Black Lives Matter*

Enough

Post by Enough »

These look like really nice chairs, but I want one just for the name! You may call me Emerson Fittipaldi. Vroom!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

GreenGoo wrote:
I should probably spend the money for a "good" chair, but I kind of abuse them so spending a couple hundred bucks every few years seems like a decent compromise.
I'm still using an Aeron that I bought in 2003. It shows no sign of dying. I'm figuring that $500 is working out to be way cheaper than a few hundred every few years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's sorta on sale over at Newegg

http://flash.newegg.com/foryou/3628?sortby=0
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I ordered a Boss series chair. Should be here by Tuesday.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I ordered a Boss series chair. Should be here by Tuesday.
Mine should be too.
Black Lives Matter*

Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Kasey Chang wrote:It's sorta on sale over at Newegg

http://flash.newegg.com/foryou/3628?sortby=0
Yeah, they've got big sales going on right now. The models that we're talking about aren't on them.
Black Lives Matter*

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

New chair came in in perfect condition. Only small issue was that I got 6 caster (1 extra) and am missing the telescoping plastic shroud that goes over the gas cylinder. But it assembled very easily and I have written DXRacer about the part.

This thing is the most stoutly built piece of furniture that I've ever owned. Its very firm right now (basement is 64degrees F since its winter and I like it cool down here. But I expect a more comfortable butt print when it's broken in a bit.

8/8 tentacles
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm just starting to look at replacing my squeaky computer chair. Is everyone still happy with their purchases?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently Corsair now makes gaming chairs too.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a beat up Lazy Boy and a laptop on a hospital table.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Hrothgar wrote:I'm just starting to look at replacing my squeaky computer chair. Is everyone still happy with their purchases?
Yes. I'm still quite happy with my DXRacer chair. I would definitely buy one again if my needs changed. FWIW, the customer reps were very responsive about the missing shroud piece and I found out it was not included anymore because they had upgraded the cylinders on that model to much larger ones.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hrothgar wrote:I'm just starting to look at replacing my squeaky computer chair. Is everyone still happy with their purchases?
See also this office chair thread from a few years back.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Saw one of those DX racer chairs on Price is Right today. Retailed over $2500.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

dbt1949 wrote:Saw one of those DX racer chairs on Price is Right today. Retailed over $2500.
Wow! That must have been a special edition covered in baby seal or something!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Genuine Saskatchewan seal skin bindings.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

AWS260 wrote:
See also this office chair thread from a few years back.
I don't know. I've been burned by getting behind the technology curve before. :wink:

I see that Mass Drop has Arozzi and AKRacing Chairs. Anyone familiar with those?

Newegg has noblechairs, Nitro Concepts, Clutch Chairz, Playseat, TT eSports and Vertagear in addition to the previous two. Clearly this is a deeper rabbit hole than I thought.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Still loving mine. It comes up in conversation now and again. No regrets here.
Black Lives Matter*

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

SuperDave!!!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Still good on my end. I was working from home for the first few months of the year, and even after 8-10 hours a day, five days a week, I was super comfy.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

AKPlayer and Arozzi are brands that are kinda big in China, but nowhere else.

I get by with my office chair. But my current setup sucks. My floor is sloped, and even a carpet pad doesn't help. AND my chair wants to lean backwards when I sit straight (due to sloped floor)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

PC Gamer's look at chairs

Theres a link near the top of that article for the racing style chairs too.