Goliath (Amazon series) - MAJOR SPOILERS INSIDE

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Goliath (Amazon series) - MAJOR SPOILERS INSIDE

Post by McNutt »

For those that haven't seen the show, it's worth checking out. Not great, but pretty good. Now please don't read any further because I want this to be a spoiler-filled discussion without everything in spoiler tags.

I thought Thornton was fantastic in this show and his performance made me want to love the show, but I couldn't. I thought the Cooperman character was incredibly over the top. I hated that character. I'm as tired of saying this as you probably are of hearing it, but the antagonist doesn't always have to be some incredibly evil person. Make it a guy who just wants to protect his shady client and the core story still stands up. Same goes for Callie. She was just too much of a bitch. We as viewers can take sides without one group having absolutely no redeeming qualities. That's just an easy way out for writers. Wendell Corey and Leonard Letts however were pretty well written. You could believe that these were real people.

What I really wanted to discuss was the verdict and aftermath. The jury gave a huge verdict for the plaintiff after a closing argument from Billy that was basically, "they're big and bad and do it for the little guy." After the verdict Wendell Corey tries to lower the amount by telling Billy the truth. That bothered me because that guy would never do that. Billy announces that Corey agreed to $50m to settle quickly and shows that he has Corey admitting to it on tape, which he immediately hands over to the FBI.

Ok, that entire part was pretty cheesy and I wasn't a fan at all. But by giving the FBI that tape (not sure if all those arrests would have happened right away), didn't that seriously impact the likelihood of McBride's clients getting their money? I imagine it can be difficult to collect from a company that's essentially being shut down.
Moliere

Re: Goliath (Amazon series) - MAJOR SPOILERS INSIDE

Post by Moliere »

1) Happy to see the "Hoosiers" movie love.
2) The betrayal by Brittany Gold didn't make sense. It came out of left field. Her character seemed so inconsistent. At times she was smart and confident and other times she ran off the rails doing stupid shit.
3) Interesting that the character of Marva Jefferson could continue the "it's ok to make fun of fat people" while also making her the most competent employee he had. It was incredibly annoying how poorly Billy McBride treated the people helping him. The great example where he made them go through boxes of paperwork sitting in a storage locker while he went to the bar to get drunk.
4) I know Billy Bob and Dwight Yoakam are friends, but Dwight didn't seem right as the ruthless corporate CEO.
5) I can't see Harold Perrineau without thinking "WALT!"
6) After Breaking Bad's Betsy Brandt had her purple color theme the set designer for Cooperman's firm seemed overdone: Michelle McBride's yellow theme, Cooperman's black and red, and the lowly lawyers with stark undecorated offices.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I liked Brittany's character. She was a cokehead who turned on Billy to save herself. One thing I loved about the final episode was her wanting to explain things to Billy and he just drove off. No closure for her. That seemed real and I liked that.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

McNutt wrote:I liked Brittany's character. She was a cokehead who turned on Billy to save herself. One thing I loved about the final episode was her wanting to explain things to Billy and he just drove off. No closure for her. That seemed real and I liked that.
Yes, I was happy to see the lack of forgiveness. Not typical of Hollywood. I guess I have to accept her character as an unpredictable coke head that can't be trusted. It was an interesting scene where the Valet guy tries to ask her out on a date and she dismisses him.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Season 2 starts June 15th. :pop:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'll give it a shot.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Wife and I really enjoyed season 1. Season 2? Not so much. Found none of it to be believable and the bad guys were simply gross.
Spoiler:
Right from the start of season 2 when the high profile mayoral candidate chooses to start sleeping with the local drunk lawyer nothing from season 2 made sense. Just seemed violent for the sake of violence and stupid. About the only thing that made sense was the plot set up of Billy looking into his friend's kid's situation. Everything after that was horrible.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I loved Season 1 except for Hurt's over-the-top character. Everything else was really good.

Season 2 was a jumbled mess. Nothing about that story was believable. It's like they took scripts from completely different genres and mixed them all together.

I like Billy and his female lawyer partner enough that I will continue watching.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

McNutt wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:41 am I loved Season 1 except for Hurt's over-the-top character. Everything else was really good.

Season 2 was a jumbled mess. Nothing about that story was believable. It's like they took scripts from completely different genres and mixed them all together.

I like Billy and his female lawyer partner enough that I will continue watching.
I'll give season 3 a look but it had better be way way more season 1 than 2 right away or I'm out.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken