Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by El Guapo »

Also odds are 100% that hepcat will be outside of the Dune premiere in a latex outfit yelling "I WILLLL KILLL HIM!!!"
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is it really right to call it "odds are" if you're at 100 percent?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:22 pm Is it really right to call it "odds are" if you're at 100 percent?
100% odds are still odds.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What chance is there of failure though? Just state it as a fact, as we all know it is, and move one. You know I've got the vinyl bodysuit, blonde hair dye and rubber knife already, so no need to present it as something to bet on.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:27 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:22 pm Is it really right to call it "odds are" if you're at 100 percent?
100% odds are still odds.
Its just odd.

I actually prefer the knife fights in the SyFy series.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:30 pm What chance is there of failure though? Just state it as a fact, as we all know it is, and move one. You know I've got the vinyl bodysuit, blonde hair dye and rubber knife already, so no need to present it as something to bet on.
There doesn't need to be a chance of failure to have odds. Odds range from 0% (certain not to happen) to 100% (certain to happen), but that doesn't mean that 0% and 100% cease to be odds or probabilities. And you can absolutely bet on something that has a 100% chance, it's just that the person on the other side is probably a sucker.

Also I totally forgot that The Captain from How I Met Your Mother played Paul in that movie.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:43 pm There doesn't need to be a chance of failure to have odds. Odds range from 0% (certain not to happen) to 100% (certain to happen), but that doesn't mean that 0% and 100% cease to be odds or probabilities. And you can absolutely bet on something that has a 100% chance, it's just that the person on the other side is probably a sucker.
Princess Irulan wrote: Prophecy and prescience— How can they be put to the test in the face of the unanswered questions? Consider: How much is actual prediction of the “wave form” (as Muad’Dib referred to his vision-image) and how much is the prophet shaping the future to fit the prophecy? What of the harmonics inherent in the act of prophecy? Does the prophet see the future or does he see a line of weakness, a fault or cleavage that he may shatter with words or decisions as a diamond-cutter shatters his gem with a blow of a knife?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:30 pm What chance is there of failure though? Just state it as a fact, as we all know it is, and move one. You know I've got the vinyl bodysuit, blonde hair dye and rubber knife already, so no need to present it as something to bet on.
Is it a plausible crysknife though?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:01 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:43 pm There doesn't need to be a chance of failure to have odds. Odds range from 0% (certain not to happen) to 100% (certain to happen), but that doesn't mean that 0% and 100% cease to be odds or probabilities. And you can absolutely bet on something that has a 100% chance, it's just that the person on the other side is probably a sucker.
Princess Irulan wrote: Prophecy and prescience— How can they be put to the test in the face of the unanswered questions? Consider: How much is actual prediction of the “wave form” (as Muad’Dib referred to his vision-image) and how much is the prophet shaping the future to fit the prophecy? What of the harmonics inherent in the act of prophecy? Does the prophet see the future or does he see a line of weakness, a fault or cleavage that he may shatter with words or decisions as a diamond-cutter shatters his gem with a blow of a knife?
So what I'm hearing is that I am the Maud'Dib.
Black Lives Matter.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:08 pm So what I'm hearing is that I am the Maud'Dib.
Nah, that's the mysteriously elusive moderator of our Trades & Bargains forum. :ninja:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sir Muad’dib a Lot wrote: I like big butts and I cannot lie.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:50 pm
Sir Muad’dib a Lot wrote: I like big butts and I cannot lie.
Link to Randomness.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:08 pm
Maud’Dib

And then there’s Maud’Dib
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:08 pm
Your name is a killing word.
Hodor.
Zarathud

Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by Zarathud »

El Guapo wrote:Also odds are 100% that hepcat will be outside of the Dune premiere in a latex outfit yelling "I WILLLL KILLL HIM!!!"
I’d better bring my cry knife, shield and still suit then.

Edit: Damn you, autocorrect! Crysknife!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:26 pm
El Guapo wrote:Also odds are 100% that hepcat will be outside of the Dune premiere in a latex outfit yelling "I WILLLL KILLL HIM!!!"
I’d better bring my cry knife, shield and still suit then.

Edit: Damn you, autocorrect! Crysknife!
A cry knife is a huge waste of water on Arrakis...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The waste of water is worth the cost of watching Zarathud wiggle that thing around.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud and I were talking about this last night. When the time comes, we should try to get a Chicago group together to see it in a theater. Unfortunately, they closed my favorite theater in Evanston, but I'm sure there are other theaters with bars and reclining seats in the area.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

No bar, but I like the Pickwick in Park Ridge.
$10 for the big theater, free parking, close to home (for me), and minimal previews.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:11 pm No bar, but I like the Pickwick in Park Ridge.
$10 for the big theater, free parking, close to home (for me), and minimal previews.
If you get a chance to do some recon before Dune premieres, see if they have coke icees. The holy triumvirate for me is the coke icee, popcorn and reclining seats.

Bonus points if they let me in with my comfort pelican.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

DUNE just premiered at a French film festival, and the reviews I’ve seen today all agree that it is *extremely* good.

I can’t wait.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:14 pm DUNE just premiered at a French film festival, and the reviews I’ve seen today all agree that it is *extremely* good.

I can’t wait.
Now with 99% less braid pulling and skirt smoothing.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Going to see this with friends in IMAX September 18th. Because I'm not American so won't have to wait for day-and-date theatrical/HBO Max release. 8-)

I think it's already out in Singapore? Anyway broader international release in one week.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:34 am Going to see this with friends in IMAX September 18th. Because I'm not American so won't have to wait for day-and-date theatrical/HBO Max release. 8-)

I think it's already out in Singapore? Anyway broader international release in one week.
Yes, but you're getting the shortened, International version. Here in the U.S. we're getting the 4 1/2 hour director's cut. :P
He won. Period.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:39 pm
Lagom Lite wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:34 am Going to see this with friends in IMAX September 18th. Because I'm not American so won't have to wait for day-and-date theatrical/HBO Max release. 8-)

Yes, but you're getting the shortened, International version. Here in the U.S. we're getting the 4 1/2 hour director's cut. :P
Ahh, yes. The Baliset concert cut. Two hours of impromptu Philip Glass meditations by Josh Brolin.
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Actually, you're also missing out on the Canon Ball Run style blooper reel at the end of Dune.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Complete with lost footage of Burt Reynolds as a Sardurkar trooper. He falls down and all you can hear from inside the blacked out helmet is that trademark laugh.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Man, Dom Deluise would’ve made a great Baron H. :(
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:24 pm Man, Dom Deluise would’ve made a great Baron H. :(
lol

He would have been entertaining, that's for sure! :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Roman

Post by Roman »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:39 pm

Company I work for is one of the sponsors for TIFF. Each year they offer us chances to see some films if there are spare tickets around. While I doubt there will be any freebies for Dune I'm still hopeful :)
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:24 pm Man, Dom Deluise would’ve made a great Baron H. :(
Especially if he channeled the emo energy he showed in Fatso.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And Chris Farley as Beast Rabban.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s amazing to me how decades later, Lynch’s aesthetic still seeps into every vision of Dune put forth.

Can’t wait for this one. It may be the film that gets me into a theater for the first time in almost 2 years.

…my god, just writing that makes me realize how different the world is now. I would always get to at one movie every month simply for the popcorn at times. And now….well….even my favorite theater is long gone. :(
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

I just came back from the theatre after seeing this in IMAX. First reaction? I want to go see it again. Like, immediately. It's REALLY REALLY GOOD and honestly, the only thing I was disappointed in is that it was only 2,5 hours long and we couldn't spend even more time with each character (some die off after all...).

The film is surprisingly poetic. They've tried to balance the action-adventure aspect with the game-of-thrones-y aspect and they DO make it pretty clear (as clear as it in the first novel, anyway) that Paul isn't going to save humanity - he will in fact cause enormous suffering and war. "Kwisatz Haderach" is treated as a curse rather than a blessing. Stellan is great as the Baron. Everyone is doing a great job, Momoa too. They've gone back to the books with the characters rather than relying on Lynch-Dune even though some is clearly inspired from it. There's more focus on arabic-style culture/mysticism, there's a lot of subtext-language-shenanigans going on, some easter eggs for those of us familiar with the novels...

Anyway. I went to see this with a few friends, most of which are normies. They loved the movie as well. Ask me anything if you like and I'll answer, just remember that I'm a fanboy.

10/10. Go see in IMAX if you can, they really do make use of it.
Is there anyone in hell?

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad to hear it. I'll be seeing it at home, but can't wait.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes, but was the popcorn any good? :pop:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just hope the director doesn’t walk away from the franchise because of the streaming release kerfluffle. He’s stated as much in past interviews.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lagom Lite wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:33 pm Anyway. I went to see this with a few friends, most of which are normies. They loved the movie as well. Ask me anything if you like and I'll answer, just remember that I'm a fanboy.
Jealous!

I would love to ask a ton of questions, but I'm trying to see it without too much prior knowledge. I first read DUNE at 13 and have returned to it at least six or seven times. I've waited for a good movie version all my life.

I'll allow myself one important question:
Spoiler:
Is the dinner party scene at Arrakeen in this movie? It's one of my favorites in the book, but Lynch didn't have time for it.