Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:26 pm This could all be presented in Part 2, though.
This leaves me to wonder what part 1 will encompass. Maybe to the Leto betrayal? I'm not sure I can think of another logical break point.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Probably right after that with Paul in the desert.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That's kind of simulatenous. Paul went to the desert before Leto actually died, Yueh tried to booby trap Leto so he would kill the baron; Paul was already on the lam at that point. When Leto died, Paul sensed it and told Jessica.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Previews have shown us Paul and Jessica with blue-within-blue eyes, and we see Paul fighting Harkonnens alongside Fremen. The movie must go up to when they've both gone native.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This YouTuber produces a lot of good DUNE content, and he has impressions here after seeing the first 10 minutes of the movie plus the Spice Harvester scene. He gives lots of details in this video.

tl;dr He was completely blown away and thinks the movie will be extraordinary.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Wow, here's more. Stephen Colbert (himself a known SFF nerd) does a 17-minute interview with DUNE cast members. Really worth watching. Lots of great details.

EDIT: Apparently this is older than I thought, as it's connected to the first trailer. Still fun though.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That video is awesome. Changed my mind. Even if I dont like that one actress the rest are a must see.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:22 am I think I'm going to watch The Arrival and Bladerunner 2049 again just to remind myself how good a director Villeneuve is.
I didn't realize I'd seen and really enjoyed all his English-language films.

I really hope it's great. The cast is ridiculous, but I hope not to the point of distraction. It's going to be weird seeing the third adaptation of this.

Maybe they'll do a Spiderverse thing and Sting, Brad Dourif, Giancarlo Giannini, and William Hurt will all show up as the fat, old versions of their characters.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:45 pm Wow, here's more. Stephen Colbert (himself a known SFF nerd) does a 17-minute interview with DUNE cast members. Really worth watching. Lots of great details.

Definitely strikes me as the first movie worthy of actually watching in IMAX post-COVID.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sting cant get fat. Its in his genes and contracts.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm still not ready to spend 2+ hours in a big room with bunches of unmasked strangers but this is tempting.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:05 pm I'm still not ready to spend 2+ hours in a big room with bunches of unmasked strangers but this is tempting.
but unclothed is still fine, right?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:05 pm I'm still not ready to spend 2+ hours in a big room with bunches of unmasked strangers but this is tempting.
Look, man was created in God's image, so it would be immoral to mask God's image by putting all sorts of "clothes" on.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 pm but unclothed is still fine, right?
Not for a stranger. Maybe after a drink.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:11 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 pm
Look, man was created in God's image
God looks like Rodney Dangerfield after 8 martinis?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I haven't read the book. The trailer is a bit underwhelming to me. Lots of people staring off into the distance for one thing. It reminds me of game trailers where they show you parts of the cut scenes but no actual gameplay. The other thing that worries me is the lead actor seems very bland. I'd hate for this to be one of those movies where everyone in the movie except the lead actor is great in their roles. I'm wondering if it's by design, maybe he's supposed to be like that because that's how he is in the book.
Holman

Post by Holman »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:25 pm I haven't read the book. The trailer is a bit underwhelming to me. Lots of people staring off into the distance for one thing. It reminds me of game trailers where they show you parts of the cut scenes but no actual gameplay. The other thing that worries me is the lead actor seems very bland. I'd hate for this to be one of those movies where everyone in the movie except the lead actor is great in their roles. I'm wondering if it's by design, maybe he's supposed to be like that because that's how he is in the book.
FWIW I've read the book many times, and I think Chalamet is a great choice.

The character Paul starts naive and unaware of his abilities. The story is really his education into his powers (and his realization of being a part of something much larger), but the plot is driven by the adults around him and their loyalty to the Atreides family. In the first half of the novel, Leto and Jessica are as important as Paul.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:25 pm I haven't read the book.
The main problem with the Lynch movie was those who'd not read the book were confused, and those who did recognized what an abomination it was. I hope this is a little more coherent, but I'll wait until both movies are out before watching. Herbert did quite a bit of foreshadowing, and there could be a lot of unresolved (for non-readers) issues in a movie covering only half the book.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think of movies like Star Wars and The Matrix, movies where the protagonist is a nobody at first. In those movies both Luke and Neo held their own in scenes with other more powerful characters, even though at first neither of them knew much or could do much. In the trailer this guy looks like he fades into the background mostly. It's just a trailer though, for all I know they are holding back on showing his best moments.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t get that feeling at all. Chalamet is an outstanding actor. I think he’s going to make a fantastic Paul. The trailers don’t give me any reason to think otherwise.

However, I’m still not sold on Jason Mamoa in this film. I really wish they’d gone with a much better actor.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:07 pm However, I’m still not sold on Jason Mamoa in this film. I really wish they’d gone with a much better actor.
Same, but I think he'll be fine.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If they continue on with the other books, Duncan Idaho becomes a much more prominent character. I just don’t think he’ll be able to pull it off if they do make those films.

He should have been cast as a Fremen leader, in my opinion. Not someone with as much self control as Duncan.

Could have been worse, I guess. Mamoa as a Mentat?

I do think Brolin is perfect as Gurney.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I had hoped Mamoa would at least be enough to stop my wife's eyes from glazing over every time I mention Dune... but no luck.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:37 pm If they continue on with the other books, Duncan Idaho becomes a much more prominent character. I just don’t think he’ll be able to pull it off if they do make those films.
I agree but I can't help feeling that they won't go into the expanded books. At least not in any reasonable time frame. They are too challenging and divisive.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, probably not. But I would love to see a big budget Children of Dune. :(
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm less optimistic. Omitting Feyd's story from the first half suggests they might be overly influenced by Lynch and give that storyline the short shrift.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I kind of have to agree with Jeff on that. The Baron’s plan to replace Rabban with Feyd is a fairly important part of the Baron’s storyline. At least in establishing his cunning and his willingness to sacrifice anyone for power. Without it I fear we’ll get a watered down version of the cutthroat politics that play such a big role in the books.

However, Villeneuve has built up quite a bit of credit in my eyes thanks to his past films, so I suspect he’ll cover it still in a way that works.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ye of little Jason faith. Bah on you.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like Jason Mamoa in certain parts. And he’s definitely a good dude who deserves to become Schwarzenegger big. But his range is limited. At least at this point in his career. Maybe in time he’ll be able to move outside that limited range. But that time is not now.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I like Momoa in the way I like Arnold or The Rock. Their efforts tend to be mediocre, but they have charisma and are fun to watch.

I'm more troubled that my memory of the Sci Fi miniseries gave me the impression Duncan is near Paul's age. Though that may have been more that their Paul was too old.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I recently rewatched the entire SyFy miniseries for Dune and Children of Dune after coming across my DVD copies from ages ago and ripping them to my Plex server.

And yeah, the guy who played Duncan in the miniseries didn't seem that much older than the actor who played Paul.

In the books, I got the feeling that Duncan was still in his early 30s and was like a big brother to Paul. The movies and miniseries have always (mistakenly, I believe) cast an actor a little older than I think Paul should be.
He won. Period.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Duncan is 27 years older than Paul. He is an experienced soldier who is a graduate of the advanced school for military training (Ginaz). He is old and wise enough to be the swordmaster for one of the great houses, in charge of training Paul, as well as personal security for the Duke and his family.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So Paul is supposed to be 4, maybe 5 years old at the start of the film. That sounds about right.

muad'dib wanna juice box!

The kwisatz haderach has demanded the creation of a Bob the Builder ghola!
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:18 am Duncan is 27 years older than Paul. He is an experienced soldier who is a graduate of the advanced school for military training (Ginaz). He is old and wise enough to be the swordmaster for one of the great houses, in charge of training Paul, as well as personal security for the Duke and his family.
But he's also impulsive and flamboyant. He lacks a certain self-control, which may be part of what makes him fearsome.
Spoiler:
Remember in the book when he gets roaring drunk and starts accusing Lady Jessica of being a Harkonnen agent?
Both Gurney and Duncan were terribly mis-cast in the Lynch movie. I think Brolin will be perfect, but Momoa might also pull it off.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:26 pm I kind of have to agree with Jeff on that. The Baron’s plan to replace Rabban with Feyd is a fairly important part of the Baron’s storyline. At least in establishing his cunning and his willingness to sacrifice anyone for power. Without it I fear we’ll get a watered down version of the cutthroat politics that play such a big role in the books.

However, Villeneuve has built up quite a bit of credit in my eyes thanks to his past films, so I suspect he’ll cover it still in a way that works.
I went back and looked. While Feyd has a few lines early in the novel, all he really does is sit and listen to Piter and the Baron discuss Arrakis. His first big scene is when he fights a captured Atreides soldier in the arena, and it occurs at the novel's halfway point. He becomes more of a presence in the book after that.

Villeneuve could easily have the baron allude to his scheme in this movie but then only reveal Feyd as a character in the sequel.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm guessing Villeneuve took that into account and we'll see it mentioned in the first film, but the introduction of the character in the second, as you wrote.

Also

He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:34 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:26 pm I kind of have to agree with Jeff on that. The Baron’s plan to replace Rabban with Feyd is a fairly important part of the Baron’s storyline. At least in establishing his cunning and his willingness to sacrifice anyone for power. Without it I fear we’ll get a watered down version of the cutthroat politics that play such a big role in the books.

I went back and looked. While Feyd has a few lines early in the novel, all he really does is sit and listen to Piter and the Baron discuss Arrakis. His first big scene is when he fights a captured Atreides soldier in the arena, and it occurs at the novel's halfway point. He becomes more of a presence in the book after that.

Villeneuve could easily have the baron allude to his scheme in this movie but then only reveal Feyd as a character in the sequel.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if part 2 begins with a cold open on Feyd's knife fight.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I WILLLL KILLL HIM!

I also tend to forget how the climactic knife fight in Lynch's Dune looks they choreographed it off a viewing of West Side Story. Although I also love the patented Captain Kirk kick to the midsection at the 49 second mark of that video.
He won. Period.