Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
The end of the Paul vs Feyd fight when Muad'dib shouts and cracks the floor and everyone jumps. "Usul no longer needs the weirding module". Hate on the weirding modules all you like, I love that scene.
Also my favorite scene of many.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its official now... Denis Villeneuve of Arrival and Bladerunner 2049 is director. And its a film series not TV.
Brian Herbert
‏@DuneAuthor

It's official -- Legendary Pictures has signed the very talented Denis Villeneuve to direct the exciting new DUNE series film project.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Are they filming Frank Herbert or Brian Herbert?

I ask the question in a neutral tone, but I am seething inside.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote:Are they filming Frank Herbert or Brian Herbert?

I understand Frank is unavailable for comment. Being that Frank was on the set of Lynch's Dune and was too star-struck to prevent that trainwreck, I can't imagine Brian being an any more negative influence.

Since this is going to be a "movie series"; unless they break up the original Dune into multiple movies, I don't see them avoiding Lynch's main pitfall -- too much story, too few minutes. If they are doing, say, 3 movies comprising the original trilogy, then Brian might help them create an abbreviated movie that is a little more coherent by using some of his "fill in the gaps" material.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote:
Holman wrote:Are they filming Frank Herbert or Brian Herbert?

I understand Frank is unavailable for comment. Being that Frank was on the set of Lynch's Dune and was too star-struck to prevent that trainwreck, I can't imagine Brian being an any more negative influence.

Since this is going to be a "movie series"; unless they break up the original Dune into multiple movies, I don't see them avoiding Lynch's main pitfall -- too much story, too few minutes. If they are doing, say, 3 movies comprising the original trilogy, then Brian might help them create an abbreviated movie that is a little more coherent by using some of his "fill in the gaps" material.
What I'm asking is whether they're filming Frank's novels or Brian's. I assume it's the former, since they're the classics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love the 1984 movie. Ive never read the novels though.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Paul Atreides has been cast. Villeneuve's Paul will be played by Timothée Chalamet, who was nominated for an Oscar for Call Me By Your Name.

This could be a great choice. The actor is young (well, 22), and I imagine he'll be able to give us the truly adolescent, conflicted Paul of the novel. The casting definitely suggests that they're not going for an action hero.

There's also confirmation that the new Dune will be two movies. That's good news!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I had no idea who Villeneuve is.

Looking him up, I see he essentially is Bladerunner 2049. I'm not sure I have a fully informed opinion on the movie. I do like how it did not cave to CGI special effects and it least appeared to have the budget to go big and I think he took advantage of that. So I can give some hope to this. He has a pretty good sense for dystopia as well. So color me interested.

Finally, with regard to Bladerunner 2049, not a spoiler but some might think it so anyway so...

Spoiler:
my non informed opinion is that the main plot was red herring and the broadcast of and eventual psuedo reveal where only there to distract from the real story, which was the love story between the more human than human and a projection, a la Kreiger. The movie really ended when the love story powerfully concluded. An incredible 2 hour tragic film that really took the moral spirit of the first movie to the next level. The last 45 minutes didn't need to be there. But the background that got the movie made insisted on drawing out what we all knew in to 45 minutes of movie making formula. (Note: I also insist Blade Runner ended after Roy's Soliloquy
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Villeneuve is much more than BR 2049.

There's Prisoners (haven't seen but heard good things), Sicario (amazing) and Arrival (also great) on his resume. You're missing out on high quality movies.
Hodor.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

As I return to this thread, I am now familiar with Villeneuve's work... and I am absolutely excited by this new Dune.
And with that said, I will no longer read or view anything related to this until after I have seen it at release.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wasn't overly impressed with Prisoners or Sicario, but Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival were superb. I'm confident he can do the books justice after seeing those latter two.

Although I am one of a handful of people who actually enjoyed Lynch's Dune. It was amazing to look at, albeit too flighty and self indulgent at times.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The 1984 Dune was on one of the Sling channels the other day, I watched maybe the last 45 minutes or so. I still don't know why Sting didn't get a Best Supporting Actor nomination.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:30 pm Although I am one of a handful of people who actually enjoyed Lynch's Dune. It was amazing to look at, albeit too flighty and self indulgent at times.
Not sure why I feel compelled to say it every time it comes up... I generally don't care for Lynch, but I thought his vision for Dune was excellent. His narrative was all kindsa goofy, constrained in a two hour box of movie trying to be a blockbuster but the vision was crazy good. His direction and design combined with the narrative of the SyFyseries would have been great, even allowing for the fact that I think the SyFy narrative was a bit too Benegesuit(?)/feminist centric to be a literal narrative of the novel.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Did you happen to read the book before seeing the movie?

These are my biggest issues with the movie:

(1) Too short. I saw it with 3 friends. Two of us had read the book and thought it was awful. Two hadn't and didn't understand the movie at all.
(2) Too many special effects. The setting of Dune is one where most technology is banned. It should not have been a special effects extravaganza (the miniseries was much, much more restrained in this regard).
(3) Baron Harkonnen. He was an evil bastard to be sure, but the caricature in the movie was more akin to Fat Bastard than the plotting criminal mind from the books. (I would have thought no way could such a buffoon attain so high a position but then Trump happened).

The book is a story of complex intrigues fomented by a variety of groups. You don't get that from the Lynch movie.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dune 1984 is one of the best sci fi films ever. I was just watching clips on YT last night again. Ive never read the book though I own a early edition hardback. And I understood the movie fine. I thought it was strange back then but I loved it and my love grows each time I see it from the story to the music.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you haven't read the book then you have no idea what a travesty that movie is.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Further casting details for the Villeneuve Dune are coming out.

Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides
Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica
Dave Bautista as Glossu "Beast" Rabban
Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Harkonnen
Charlotte Rampling as Reverend Mother Mohiam

I've only seen Chalamet once, but he strikes me as a good choice. I don't know Rebecca Ferguson.

The other choices here seem 100% perfect. My hopes are high!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh thank god, I was worried this film would be Skarsgård free.

My only hope is that it WILL be James Franco free.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 pm I've only seen Chalamet once, but he strikes me as a good choice. I don't know Rebecca Ferguson.
Have you not watched the last two Mission: Impossible movies?
Hodor.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The writer from The Postman is doing this movie too! :dance:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:15 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 pm I've only seen Chalamet once, but he strikes me as a good choice. I don't know Rebecca Ferguson.
Nah. I don't really do big-budget action.

Will she be a good Lady Jessica?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

No Mark Wahlberg casting means no ticket purchasing for me. :snooty:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 am

She was also the Jenny Lind in The Greatest Showman.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:13 pm Oh thank god, I was worried this film would be Skarsgård free.

My only hope is that it WILL be James Franco free.
Duke Leto is still open...
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 am No Mark Wahlberg casting means no ticket purchasing for me. :snooty:
Duncan Idaho?
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Donald Glover could make a good Duncan Idaho. Tom Hiddleston might be good too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 am No Mark Wahlberg casting means no ticket purchasing for me. :snooty:
Crowd member wearing hat in Duke's arrival scene?

Fremen hot dog vendor in backdrop of Paul's crysknife fight?

Offscreen voice that yells "Get 'em Paul!" during final battle scene?
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:

Says to fellow Freman, "Hey, I'm gonna make a packie run for some spice you want anything?"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 am

Motion capture for "Worm #2"

Fully-armored Sardaukar #10 (it's *kinda* like being a "Southie", right?)

Bene Gesserit...extra...sworn to silence...in the background...of a dark room
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I never read the book, which may be why I actually liked the first movie. Kenneth MacMillan rocked as Baron Harkonnen
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Dune is one of those books that I've tried to read, I really have, but I just can't get into it. I don't know if it's the writing style, the characters, the pacing, whatever but I feel my eyes glazing over each time I try. None of the previous adaptations have done anything to help me find a way to get into it. Maybe this one will be the one, Sicario and Arrival place Villeneuve in an elevated position in my opinion. If someone can do anything with Dune it'd be him. It might be time for me to give that book a go again.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 pm Dune is one of those books that I've tried to read, I really have, but I just can't get into it. I don't know if it's the writing style, the characters, the pacing, whatever but I feel my eyes glazing over each time I try. None of the previous adaptations have done anything to help me find a way to get into it. Maybe this one will be the one, Sicario and Arrival place Villeneuve in an elevated position in my opinion. If someone can do anything with Dune it'd be him. It might be time for me to give that book a go again.
You might try starting with the Brian Herbert prequels. In Dune, Frank does a huge about of world-building to define a complex empire and it's major axis, and it does come together as the book goes on. Brian's prequels are far more simplistic and fall into the category of pulp sci-fi, but it will gradually give you everything you need to know without having to wait for it to make sense in Dune. By the time you reach Dune, you'll be able cruise right through passages that don't make sense on first blush.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It took me about 3 tries before I could get into the Dune series. But when I did I couldn’t stop. The world building is freaking amazing.

But I can’t bring myself to read any Dune books not written by Frank Herbert.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm You might try starting with the Brian Herbert prequels.
No offense to Jeff V, but this may be worst advice ever posted on OO.

Frank Herbert was brilliant, and his DUNE novels are a tour-de-force of world-building and theme on the level of Tolkien. Some of the underlying philosophy (basically warmed-over Jungianism) is weak, but it doesn't detract from the characters or the sweep of the drama.

Brian Herbert is a parasite who couldn't write his way out of a paper bag of wet dogshit.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 am

I would imagine so.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote:Brian Herbert is a parasite who couldn't write his way out of a paper bag of wet dogshit.
Don’t forget to throw Kevin J. Anderson in there with him.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Brian Herbert sucks as a writer- agreed

Still need to cast:

Chani
Irulan
Duncan Idaho
Gurney
Both mentats
Fayd
Duke Leto
Emperor
Stilgar

All out of memory....damn I have read that book it seems
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Brian doesn't measure up in the literary sense, but the prequels fit neatly into the pulp sci-fi genre. While much simpler, the writing as storytelling is better because it's narrowly focused. If you want to understand Dune, you need the prequels.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:08 pm Brian doesn't measure up in the literary sense, but the prequels fit neatly into the pulp sci-fi genre. While much simpler, the writing as storytelling is better because it's narrowly focused. If you want to understand Dune, you need the prequels.
The backstory I can imagine from reading the glossary and appendices to Frank Herbert's DUNE is vastly superior to any novel Brian Herbert wrote or could possibly write.

Yes, I tried to read them. BH's plots constrain and limit the Dune universe to something less than it was. We don't need him.

I will die on this hill.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Fanfic is often superior. But until you turn those delusions into a story, I'll take Brian's prequels with Kevin J Anderson. The prequels are more digestible than Dune and its sequels.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:05 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm You might try starting with the Brian Herbert prequels.
No offense to Jeff V, but this may be worst advice ever posted on OO.

Frank Herbert was brilliant, and his DUNE novels are a tour-de-force of world-building and theme on the level of Tolkien. Some of the underlying philosophy (basically warmed-over Jungianism) is weak, but it doesn't detract from the characters or the sweep of the drama.

Brian Herbert is a parasite who couldn't write his way out of a paper bag of wet dogshit.
Keep in mind I was responding to someone who tried and failed multiple times to get through the original Dune. I do remember it being quite difficult the first 100 pages or so when I first read it as a teen. Brian's simplified story telling would help with some of the things that does make getting into Dune difficult - terminology and back story.

I also don't think Brian's stuff is any worse than Frank's later novels in the series. But hey, it's just a suggestion for someone who has been unsuccessful. I can't say if it's an effective suggestion, but it can't possibly be worse than telling someone to watch the Lynch travesty.
Black Lives Matter