Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: 2016-17 Winter Storm thread

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:
naednek wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
EDIT: Though I do have 3lbs of non-BBQ pulled pork that was slathered with Stubbs (the greatest of all BBQ sauces) that's going to be finished in about 3 hours, courtesy of the crockpot...so that's nice.

Its not BBQ if its in the crockpot...
Better? :D Though now maybe be BBQ lunatics will start arguing about sauces. All I know is that it's good eatin'.

They're all full of it. Of course I can't speak for Stubbs because when I crockpot BBQ (beef slices, I've never tried pork and don't know that pork drippings serve the purpose) I make my sauce from scratch. Kansas City BBQ is the only way to do things and while it's better when the meat comes from a smoker, the important part is the sauce enhancing the meat... That and you make it KC style, which is to say it's based from a gravy (roux?) from the meat and then sauteed with vinegar, mustard, spices and a sweetener. Most people use brown sugar but I've found a smokey real maple syrup to be waaaay better than brown sugar.

Off topic, we got about six inches yesterday. No big deal unless you were still without power from late last week, where "tropical storm level" winds knocked out about million homes, more than other time in my life. Then you're pretty much fucked.

Back on topic. If Worcestershire sauce is pronounced Worster sauce and Gloucester is pronounced Glouster why isn't Rochester pronounced Roster and Manchester pronounced Manster?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Octavious wrote:This fn blows. Spent a good hour just shoveling to get to the first car. The mound at the road is around 4 feet high. I'm too old for this shit.
Might have been better off going into work... :P
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

In El Centro de Jersey - we got far, far less than forecast but it is ice / snow / ice which is delightful. I have a reasonable sized driveway but still only dug out my wife's car. Luckily I don't need to be anywhere tomorrow. It is the wettest, heaviest snow I've dealt with in years. I think it is basically water wrapped in the minimum amount of ice possible to keep its shape. The plowed in stuff is basically immovable. I was chopping it up for a good hour to begin to move it.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Got about .00001 inches here in South Carolina. Just enough to cover the top of the car with a dusting.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, that was unpleasant, but it's done. Turns out my snowblower is a passable slushblower. Good thing, too, because that crap's way too heavy to shovel.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

2 hours of inching my way through seriously dense snow. I hadn't realized just how long it must have been raining or sleeting because that snow is really wet and heavy. It's even more amazing to me then that trees didn't come down. Until the sun comes out, the driveway isn't going to be able to be completely cleared either. See you all again Friday night!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Dug a trench to my gas tanks after work today only to find out that they came on Monday! That's a relief and annoying at the same time. Should of checked the mail first.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image
Looks like one of those Liberty Tax advertisers was standing too close to a big mud puddle. :mrgreen:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

OK, so more of a spring storm but I'm too lazy to start a new thread.

Portland experienced a pretty major wind storm Friday morning and I'm now at 50 hours without power at home. Spent last night in a hotel room.

I think the worst bit is the generator that's running at the curb in front of our house - Comcast put it there to power their equipment for the folks a few streets over who still have power. :evil:
Enough

Post by Enough »

Welp, Colorado is getting absolutely pounded by snow right now. My university just closed due to falling trees. It's absolute craziness out!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
geezer

Post by geezer »

Enough wrote:Welp, Colorado is getting absolutely pounded by snow right now. My university just closed due to falling trees. It's absolute craziness out!
Worth a trip up to RMNP early next week for some photography, or will it be either a) unpassable or b) melted?
Enough

Post by Enough »

geezer wrote:
Enough wrote:Welp, Colorado is getting absolutely pounded by snow right now. My university just closed due to falling trees. It's absolute craziness out!
Worth a trip up to RMNP early next week for some photography, or will it be either a) unpassable or b) melted?
Over the weekend it was a bit of both. All roads were closed on the west side of the Park. I did go for a ride due west after the first part of the melt for what looked to be a killer sunset that ended up merely pretty awesome. A lot of big trees came down, including one of my favorites that was one of the largest cottonwoods in Colorado.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

:?: Had to double check the date stamp. Sorry for the trees lost.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White