2016-17 Winter Storm thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: 2016-17 Winter Storm thread

Post by $iljanus »

Will be flying out of Boston tomorrow morning for my daughter's gymnastics meet in Vegas this weekend. It's an 8:30 AM flight so I think we'll be OK... I think...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote:In Philadelphia we're expecting 5-8 inches of snow tomorrow morning with a low around 29.

Today it was nearly 60, and I rode my bike to work in shorts and a t-shirt.
It is 65 here in central NJ - I went to go to the store and ditched my coat upon getting in the car. I expect to get a decent amount of snow and will have to face the following dilemma. Do I do the minimum (clear the sidewalk) or actually dig out my paths, etc. If I do anything more than the minimum it will assumedly melt in 8 hours and be a total waste of time but if I don't it'll probably be here until April. :)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I've been getting alerts on my phone with the measurements going up all day for NE NJ..
Luckily, I can work from home if need be.. Good thing is, if it's real bad, all our clients will be closed, so easy day!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They just upped most of northern and part of central NJ to 8-12", so we have that going for us. Plus there's also a chance for THUNDERSNOW, the greatest of all snows.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im assuming my weather is Mother Nature's way of getting back at me for all that Chiffon Margarine I consumed as a kid.....and still wish I could buy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Currently in low 50s in my part of NJ - feels very much like early Spring. Which would explain why 6"+ of snow is inbound tonight. Stay safe, NE OOers - hopefully you're all stocked up on beer and snacks. :D
My company made sure to send out the come to work or else email. Did I mention I love my work?

Did I mention I can do 100% of my job from home? Did I mention I work for companies that sell crackers and cookies? Someday I will leave someday.... I got yelled at once when we had a major storm and I couldn't get in contact with them. :dance:
Sounds like a sick day coming on to me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Octavious - your company is literally the worst. All the schools are closed here already. Hoping for Army to have half day (i.e. full day).
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yes they are. And ya school is already closed tomorrow.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote:Yes they are. And ya school is already closed tomorrow.
Even Governor Flip-Flop closed State offices tomorrow. And my employer shut down until 4:30pm - and they *never* close ahead of bad weather, only right in the middle. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Are you trying to point out that my company is a bunch of assholes? Did I mention we never missed a day from Sandy? Nope we had a generator going the entire time. I personally didn't come back for weeks as I didn't have power for 3 weeks. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Philadelphia snow levels are less than expected (so far), but there's something slick about it that it causing extra problems.

Even after road salting, city busses are stuck on the slope near my house because they can't climb it. Maybe we're just below the threshold where they would cancel bus service, but we're now learning that the threshold should be lower.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Octavious wrote:Are you trying to point out that my company is a bunch of assholes? Did I mention we never missed a day from Sandy? Nope we had a generator going the entire time. I personally didn't come back for weeks as I didn't have power for 3 weeks. :lol:
I don't know what you do, but you must have competitors and I guarantee they treat their people better.

This year my company started a new program - when you have or legally adopt a baby, you get 4 weeks off at full pay and can take an additional 6 weeks at 50% pay. Then you can then take an additional 10 weeks unpaid leave. During the 50% and 0% periods, you can choose to work part time. So if you choose to work 20 hours per week, you would get full pay for those 20 hours and the 50% or 0% for the additional 20 hours. You can also choose to use your vacation before any of that. This applies for both men and women and if the woman gives birth, she gets an additional 6 weeks (or 8 weeks for a c-section) paid recovery time.

I'm out of the window where this is something I'll ever use, but I made sure to let HR know I fully support it and am proud of the change. They laughed - I don't think they've ever had such a popular program announcement before.
Last edited by stessier on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Octavious wrote:Are you trying to point out that my company is a bunch of assholes?
Yes. :)

Unforunately, the Army must have heard my joke, and only has half day today. There's a 0% I'm driving in to work at noon. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

First time I get to be the snarky guy in one of these threads. 70 here today, calling for 76°F tomorrow. Really hate these Colorado winters...
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Plane being de iced on the tarmac. One of four flights being allowed out of Logan. For some reason the evacuation from Hoth comes to mind.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote:First time I get to be the snarky guy in one of these threads. 70 here today, calling for 76°F tomorrow. Really hate these Colorado winters...
Welcome to the club.

We're sitting at 33°F at the moment, headed for 59. Tomorrow is 46-73, followed by 60-84.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote:Plane being de iced on the tarmac. One of four flights being allowed out of Logan. For some reason the evacuation from Hoth comes to mind.
You'll freeze before you reach the first parking lot!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

About half of my office is working from home today. I left for my commute 30 minutes early, and it was actually great -- with the snow keeping so many people home, there were plenty of seats and lots of elbow room on the subway.

The view from my office window at 8:30 am:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Plane being de iced on the tarmac. One of four flights being allowed out of Logan. For some reason the evacuation from Hoth comes to mind.
You'll freeze before you reach the first parking lot!
And the first transport is away! (yea!)
Black lives matter!

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It was clear as 20/20 on the drive in. When last I walked by a window it was white out. Crazy. I didn't even know we were expecting any snow.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Octavious wrote:Are you trying to point out that my company is a bunch of assholes? Did I mention we never missed a day from Sandy? Nope we had a generator going the entire time. I personally didn't come back for weeks as I didn't have power for 3 weeks. :lol:
If it makes you feel any better, my employer has a large facility in Bedminster. I don't know about all departments, but the legal department there issued a memo yesterday afternoon saying to work from home tomorrow (i.e., today), and if for whatever reason you can't work from home, the company will code the time as inclement weather - paid day off.

Wait, that probably doesn't make you feel better . . . .
That's my purse! I don't know you!
disarm

Post by disarm »

Most of CT is shutting down for the day while we get 12-18" of snow and near-blizzard conditions.

Me? I'm working at an outpatient surgery center providing anesthesia for elective cosmetic surgery while the governor encourages all non-essential workers to stay home...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

disarm wrote:Most of CT is shutting down for the day while we get 12-18" of snow and near-blizzard conditions.

Me? I'm working at an outpatient surgery center providing anesthesia for elective cosmetic surgery while the governor encourages all non-essential workers to stay home...
I'm sure that the governor would agree that preventing sagging tits is an essential function, so you must go to work. Neither rain nor sleet nor yadda yadda WOWZA! :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

My employer helpfully told everyone to not come into the Manhattan office (mid-town) ... at 9:30. I wasn't going anyway but guess the storm was a surprise...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Octavious wrote:Are you trying to point out that my company is a bunch of assholes? Did I mention we never missed a day from Sandy? Nope we had a generator going the entire time. I personally didn't come back for weeks as I didn't have power for 3 weeks. Image
If it makes you feel any better, my employer has a large facility in Bedminster. I don't know about all departments, but the legal department there issued a memo yesterday afternoon saying to work from home tomorrow (i.e., today), and if for whatever reason you can't work from home, the company will code the time as inclement weather - paid day off.

Wait, that probably doesn't make you feel better . . . .
I have 4 weeks vacation so using a day isn't exactly killing my soul. ;) It just cracks me up how ass backwards people can be.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's nasty out there, but not impassable yet. Still don't know if I'll clear it tonight or wait until tomorrow morning. Depends on when it stops snowing and just how cold and windy it is at that time. I'd like to get it out of the way tonight so I don't miss tomorrow's trash pickup.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Dug both cars out. That sucked balls.

Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Wow.

So glad not to be where you guys are.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All our schools are closed due to sickness. At just one school 700+ kids and teachers were out. I think its a flu but why people didn't get a shot is beyond me. In my day they didn't close for Armageddon. Our buses would slide off the road on ice and stuff and we still had to go.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Bad Demographic wrote:Wow.

So glad not to be where you guys are.

:p

Of course when I decide to stop working full time, I'll likely be too stupid to move somewhere that is dry and better climate controlled.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Of course when I decide to stop working full time, I'll likely be too stupid to move somewhere that is dry and better climate controlled.
If it wasn't for work, would you ever leave the house? This sounds like an eventual non-issue to me. :P
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:
LordMortis wrote: Of course when I decide to stop working full time, I'll likely be too stupid to move somewhere that is dry and better climate controlled.
If it wasn't for work, would you ever leave the house? This sounds like an eventual non-issue to me. :P
guilty
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Looks like the snow is already tapering off, but it's cold and dark and windy out there. Still might motivate myself to get the chore out of the way tonight...or maybe not. I sure don't want to, but I'm not going to want to do it in the morning, either.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Snow was pretty much done with around 12pm, and then it was blue skies and sunny - exactly what I need on my driveway. The wind is still ridiculous, but certainly not quite the debilitating storm I was expecting. I think we ended up with close to 8", but the roads have been blacktop since mid-morning. Maybe other parts on NJ were hit worse, so I guess I'm happy it wasn't anything major. It was awful wet-ish snow, but with the snow blower it's just a slow and steady clearing.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Aside from the wind it wasn't that big of a deal to clean up. Looked closer to a foot in my town, but I could be wrong.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Snow stopped by about 5:30 here, but it wound up dumping 18" on us. My snowblower handled it well!
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kinda fizzled here as far as snowfall -- looks to be 6-8" -- but the wind was pretty impressive, and we did get some thundersnow. Should clean up pretty quickly tomorrow.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LordMortis wrote:It was clear as 20/20 on the drive in. When last I walked by a window it was white out. Crazy. I didn't even know we were expecting any snow.
That must have been around 9-9:30 AM. I didn't know we were expecting any snow either, made the drive in a royal bleep. :x
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier

Post by stessier »

It was 74F Wed and Thur. It is 65F today. Tomorrow night it is supposed to snow and the high for the next 7 days is 42F. Crazy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles