War for the Planet of the Apes

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

War for the Planet of the Apes

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Montag

Re: War for the Planet of the Apes

Post by Montag »

Ready for it. Greatly enjoyed the last two. I hope they keep the magic.
words
tgb

Post by tgb »

In. So fucking in.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just how many apes and humans are left by this time?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I haven't watched a single one of these. I plan to do them all in sequence as a marathon as soon as I can order the set.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Mandeville

Post by Mandeville »

I watched the first one on demand long after it came was in the theatres and my eleven year old son was around and I let him watch it. It was great. Then we saw the second in the theatre a couple of months later and it was a little more intense. When Koba straight up murdered those guards I felt horrible because my boy was laughing at Koba acting silly and didn't understand what was going on until too late. It really bothered me to watch my boy have his expectations turned so fast. Anyway, he'll be thirteen and a half when this comes out and we are both looking forward to it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This reboot is one of the few franchises that actually meets (and often exceeds) its predecessors. They have a humanity that you rarely see in today's science fiction films. I look forward to seeing more of myself in the mirror that the filmmakers throw in front of audiences.

I also look forward to more bad ass scenes of apes with machine guns riding horses.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought the first two were pretty bad, but obviously I'm in the minority here.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I keep hoping for a shit-flinging scene.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

tgb wrote:I keep hoping for a shit-flinging scene.
Yeah, but you hope for that in every movie that comes out.
Black Lives Matter.
tgb

Post by tgb »

El Guapo wrote:
And usually get it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

tgb wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
And usually get it.
It felt forced in Interstellar though.
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I thought the first two were pretty bad, but obviously I'm in the minority here.
I'm sure others feel the same way. But the franchise has been critically well received. And the audience ratings are even better, I believe. As for the CGI, I'm hard pressed to think of a film that uses it to better effect.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: As for the CGI, I'm hard pressed to think of a film that uses it to better effect.
*Especially* in the shit-flinging scenes. Those turds were gleaming!
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Everybody Wang Chung tonight. Everybody fling dung tonight.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, saw it this afternoon. It is absolutely fantastic. The CGI is still the gold standard and never once looks fake. The expressions on the ape faces are startlingly human. And Maurice still rocks.

Woody Harrelson's character seems 2 dimensional and cliched initially...but then you realize what he's been through and what he's trying to stop, and you almost feel sympathy for the guy.

What really surprised me is that they manage to work in a bit of fan service to those who remember the original Heston film. There is more than one reference to its predecessor/future.

If you liked the first two films in the trilogy, you'll love this one. It wraps up the series almost perfectly. And while I'm sad to see it end, I hope they don't dig it up anytime soon for a sequel. I feel it did what it set out to do, and I'd hate to see it lessened by an inferior entry.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I can't remember if I saw the second Apes movie or not (netflix says no). I added this one to my queue anyway based on all the good reviews, particularly the one that said this is the best movie yet about the Trump administration.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Our annual trip out to a theater (for my birthday) is coming up, and this is definitely my first pick. I loved the previous two, and I'm glad to see this getting such good reviews.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote:Okay, saw it this afternoon. It is absolutely fantastic. The CGI is still the gold standard and never once looks fake. The expressions on the ape faces are startlingly human. And Maurice still rocks.

Woody Harrelson's character seems 2 dimensional and cliched initially...but then you realize what he's been through and what he's trying to stop, and you almost feel sympathy for the guy.

What really surprised me is that they manage to work in a bit of fan service to those who remember the original Heston film. There is more than one reference to its predecessor/future.

If you liked the first two films in the trilogy, you'll love this one. It wraps up the series almost perfectly. And while I'm sad to see it end, I hope they don't dig it up anytime soon for a sequel. I feel it did what it set out to do, and I'd hate to see it lessened by an inferior entry.
I saw it this weekend and agree with all you wrote.

Is this really the end? I hadn't heard that and it makes me sad - they were really good movies. I feared it might be based on the final scene which is a throwback to
Spoiler:
The Ten Commandments for me. Ceaser led his people out of slavery, across a desert to a land of milk and honey and died before he got to experience it because of his sin (inability to let go of his need for revenge).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles