World internet speeds

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

World internet speeds

Post by Zarathud »

Kids stream like we used to use long distance. And remember the per-minute charges from dialing into AOL or a good BBS?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
gilraen

Re: World internet speeds

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote:Double my speed with a radio antenna? I can't even imagine what that would be like. A new steam game in 2 days instead of 4? What kind of amazing futuristic landscape do you live in? On that train all graphite and glitter? Undersea by rail?
If you have 4G LTE cell service in your area or even just 4G, you'd be better off getting your internet through a mobile provider. But then again, not sure what kind of weird technology desert you live in.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:Kids stream like we used to use long distance. And remember the per-minute charges from dialing into AOL or a good BBS?
Yeah, and they all have ipads, so ugh, do they suck up the bandwidth. But I made my desktop take priority in the router. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gilraen wrote:If you have 4G LTE cell service in your area or even just 4G, you'd be better off getting your internet through a mobile provider. But then again, not sure what kind of weird technology desert you live in.
That's what's so funny. I'm 0.4 of a mile off of a NJ state highway. I'm rural but I'm not in a unabomber shed off in the woods. I'm right near some type of 4G tower and my signal strength is bananas. My ISP offered to provide me a hotspot via an agreement they have with Verizon. When I called last year, I believe it was a 10 GB cap/month for $80 a month. Oh, the laugh I had over that one.

This is 100% the fault of the town I live in and their shitty ability to negotiate with the ISPs. Whatever they were doing up until the turn of this last century might have been acceptable, but they never forced the ISPs to expand service as the rest of the world moved into the 21st century close to 20 years ago. It also doesn't help that I'm in a part of the town that is filled with white-haired folks that don't have a need for internet. You really would think I live in a remote part of the country, but it's just poor infrastructure planning.

Anyway, there's been more talk about how ridiculous this all is in the last 6 months than in the 10 years we've been here so I'm really hopeful something is going to change.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:
gilraen wrote:If you have 4G LTE cell service in your area or even just 4G, you'd be better off getting your internet through a mobile provider. But then again, not sure what kind of weird technology desert you live in.
That's what's so funny. I'm 0.4 of a mile off of a NJ state highway. I'm rural but I'm not in a unabomber shed off in the woods. I'm right near some type of 4G tower and my signal strength is bananas. My ISP offered to provide me a hotspot via an agreement they have with Verizon. When I called last year, I believe it was a 10 GB cap/month for $80 a month. Oh, the laugh I had over that one.

This is 100% the fault of the town I live in and their shitty ability to negotiate with the ISPs. Whatever they were doing up until the turn of this last century might have been acceptable, but they never forced the ISPs to expand service as the rest of the world moved into the 21st century close to 20 years ago. It also doesn't help that I'm in a part of the town that is filled with white-haired folks that don't have a need for internet. You really would think I live in a remote part of the country, but it's just poor infrastructure planning.

Anyway, there's been more talk about how ridiculous this all is in the last 6 months than in the 10 years we've been here so I'm really hopeful something is going to change.

My parents property backs on to I-94 and they can't get anything other dial up, so they use Virgin Mobile prepaid out of little box that basically gives the 4 gigs a month before throttling them with a device that acts like a phone does a phone acts like hub. It almost suits their needs. It would suit their needs if Windows didn't need to so so many damned huge updates all of the time.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LordMortis wrote:I don't stream movies, so I'm pretty happy with 2 up 2 down. It sucks when I buy a new game and have to wait two hours to play it but such is life.
When Smoove_B had to reinstall crap on his laptop, he came over to my house. It was faster to take 30 minutes to drive to my house, let me take apart his laptop and install more RAM and a SSD, put it all back together, have to burn like 5 different Windows 10 DVDs, install Windows 10 multiple times, install many giant Steam games, and then drive home. Doing all of that was faster for him than installing one game off of Steam would have been on his terrible ADSL connection.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

RunningMn9 wrote:I have Comcast and started out with 50 Mbps many years ago. For the same price (aside from minor fee bumps here and there) I'm now at 275 Mbps.

If I had to go back to 25 Mbps I would stab someone in the face.
Just curious.. where do you see the most difference? I would think there aren't too many things that could actually max out 25..I'm getting gigabit, but only because it's cheaper than my current setup which is 50 down. Don't think I've ever come close to maxing it out..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zarathud wrote:Kids stream like we used to use long distance. And remember the per-minute charges from dialing into AOL or a good BBS?
I remember.. I had to pay verizon $5 extra each month for the areas I dialed into frequently... I also had 4 lines going into my PC to get the best speed possible.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

EPB that I cant get thanks to the state has 1 gig for like $65 and 10 gig for $200
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Punisher wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:I have Comcast and started out with 50 Mbps many years ago. For the same price (aside from minor fee bumps here and there) I'm now at 275 Mbps.

Just curious.. where do you see the most difference? I would think there aren't too many things that could actually max out 25..I'm getting gigabit, but only because it's cheaper than my current setup which is 50 down. Don't think I've ever come close to maxing it out..
Game downloads on Steam are where I see the payoff. I don't do much of anything else that uses much bandwidth. We will regularly have 3-4 HD (1 of them 4k) video streams going at once on the weekend and never notice any performance issues.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

coopasonic wrote:
Punisher wrote:

Game downloads on Steam are where I see the payoff. I don't do much of anything else that uses much bandwidth. We will regularly have 3-4 HD (1 of them 4k) video streams going at once on the weekend and never notice any performance issues.
I don't think I've ever come close to 25Mbs download from Steam...Is there a log somewhere with history?
RunningMn9

World internet speeds

Post by RunningMn9 »

Yeah, the main time you see the difference is downloads. Steam downloads are insane. I cab download in a couple of minutes what it takes Smoove days to download. I also have several HD video streams running in here 24/7.

Also, Steam tracks speed in MB, not Mb. I routinely hit 30 MB/s when downloading through Steam, which is about 240 Mbps. A 25 Mbps connection would top out at around 3 MB/s.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Case in point, here I am this morning, updating a game at what is my typical, maximum speed:

We can have one TV or portable device streaming a show. Two devices? Not possible. Streaming a show and me trying to download anything from STEAM? Or if heaven forbid Win10 decides it wants to start downloading an update? Trouble.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote:Also, Steam tracks speed in MB, not Mb. I routinely hit 30 MB/s when downloading through Steam, which is about 240 Mbps. A 25 Mbps connection would top out at around 3 MB/s.

OHHHHHHHH - this explains so much!! Whenever I test, I get around 65 Mbps down but whenever I download a game, it would show between 4-8 and I could never figure out how I was still getting a full game in about 5-10 minutes. Thank you for solving my mystery! :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:Case in point, here I am this morning, updating a game at what is my typical, maximum speed:

We can have one TV or portable device streaming a show. Two devices? Not possible. Streaming a show and me trying to download anything from STEAM? Or if heaven forbid Win10 decides it wants to start downloading an update? Trouble.
That is intolerable. I don't know how you deal with that. I just downloaded a 16GB game for fun. Took about 11 minutes, averaging around 24 MB/s. That same game would take 9 hours for Smoove, and about 2 hours at 25 Mbps.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Also, Steam tracks speed in MB, not Mb. I routinely hit 30 MB/s when downloading through Steam, which is about 240 Mbps. A 25 Mbps connection would top out at around 3 MB/s.

OHHHHHHHH - this explains so much!! Whenever I test, I get around 65 Mbps down but whenever I download a game, it would show between 4-8 and I could never figure out how I was still getting a full game in about 5-10 minutes. Thank you for solving my mystery! :)
#CapitalizationMatters
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RMC

Post by RMC »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Case in point, here I am this morning, updating a game at what is my typical, maximum speed:

That is intolerable. I don't know how you deal with that. I just downloaded a 16GB game for fun. Took about 11 minutes, averaging around 24 MB/s. That same game would take 9 hours for Smoove, and about 2 hours at 25 Mbps.
Dude, I am beyond happy with my 10 Mbps. Games take a while to download, and it teaches us to savor and enjoy them better. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I think the most I have seen is 1.5MB from Steam.. Gonna have to test a big one tomorrow after the upgrade.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

RMC wrote:Dude, I am beyond happy with my 10 Mbps. Games take a while to download, and it teaches us to savor and enjoy them better. :)
Ignorance is bliss.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am trying to get my mind around the most recent comments from the FCC:
Americans might not need a fast home Internet connection, the Federal Communications Commission suggests in a new document. Instead, mobile Internet via a smartphone might be all people need.

But with Republican Ajit Pai now in charge, the FCC seems poised to change that policy by declaring that mobile broadband with speeds of 10Mbps downstream and 1Mbps upstream is all one needs. In doing so, the FCC could conclude that broadband is already being deployed to all Americans in a reasonable and timely fashion, and thus the organization would take fewer steps to promote deployment and competition.
F this guy and F the FCC.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

F this guy and F the FCC.
I totally F'n agree!! He is one dumb ignorant shit.

I pay $39.99 a month for 60 down and 4 up. This is my test results....

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I pay $50 a month for 5Mbps down and who the hell cares up. You can't explain that. But I guess since my iPhone can go faster on Verizon's network, I should be thrilled.

Oh, and look at this - in April of 2017 #1 city with the fastest internet speed was Bradley Beach, NJ -- 450 Mbps. With 11 possible providers for internet, I guess the competition is helping. Me? I have one option. My town has two providers, but the way the agreements were written only one provider is obligated to provide service. I'm sure that's just a coincidence that I'm 90x slower than people living in a town with 4300 people.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My state wont let me get better service next door to me. They act like a bunch idiots and think we have plenty of options. They even tried to lower the average to be called broad band from 25mbs to 10mbs.

These are the prices I could be choosing from.

100/100 $58
1000/1000 $70
10000/10000 $300

They even offer discounts to low income families so like that 100/100 would be $27. I need to call my own pos isp and see if they offer that kinda thing.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

This is my latest speedtest with Verizon FIOS:
6ms ping
765Mbps down
860Mbps up

My down speed goes between 750 and 850.
Up has been steadier. between 825 and 875

No idea why the upload is faster most of the time.. Had similar speeds the day of install. Tried through their router and mine and also no router, direct to my desktop and 2 laptops.. just kept moving the cable.

It's a lot better than before though.. I may call them to have them check when I feel up to it.
New package is $100 for voice/tv/data
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I am trying to get my mind around the most recent comments from the FCC:
Seems Pai that instead of doing his job to look out for consumers and help improve stuff he is ignoring all progress and any future work towards a better internet and more coverage and is lowering the bar by saying that mobile covers most people already so its the stats they will use to say we all already have great broadband available to us.

Its like they would love to do with schools. Instead of having better teachers and working harder to make students better they want to lower the bar by making test easier thereby improving test scores for a win.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NY State is on pace to have 25 Mbps service to everyone by 2018. The problem?
Of course filling in availability gaps is only half the battle. Most of these areas will still only have the option of one ISP -- and ISP that will face little to no competitive pressure to keep these lines upgrades or to provide lower rates. Still, it's a step forward all the same.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is there internet slow for anyone else today? It was slow at home and now at work. I can't find any news of a special DDOS.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been slow in my area.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Looks like a Boy Graph and a Girl Graph... Just sayin. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Slow again for me tonight. My ping and speeds read normal but OO , Youtube, every website is slow loading everything.

EDIT: In fact its almost unusable now. SO SLOW. Speed test is still reading normal. Tried multiple browsers.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:27 pm Slow again for me tonight. My ping and speeds read normal but OO , Youtube, every website is slow loading everything.

EDIT: In fact its almost unusable now. SO SLOW. Speed test is still reading normal. Tried multiple browsers.
Did you sneak into Smoove's house?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont think so. This seems faster than 2 tin cans with a string between them.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:25 am Dont think so. This seems faster than 2 tin cans with a string between them.
I think his provider upgraded him to fishing line. Double the bandwidth of string...Plus I think they installed a high end line tightener...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Must have raised his rate then.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Someone used wet string to get speeds of 3.5 Mbps. For reference, I am *slightly* faster at 5 Mbps. Again, my internet speeds are SLIGHTLY FASTER THAN WET STRING.

I feel like I need to send this to the CEO of CenturyLink.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Maybe your ISP is just using really wet string? maybe some fishing line?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Last night I installed a brand-new SB8200 modem in anticipation of the soon-to-come speed bump Comcast is giving us to 100 megs down. The modem was our family XMas present.

I wish I could donate the extra bandwidth to Smoove 'cause I don't even need it.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:31 am Last night I installed a brand-new SB8200 modem in anticipation of the soon-to-come speed bump Comcast is giving us to 100 megs down. The modem was our family XMas present.

I wish I could donate the extra bandwidth to Smoove 'cause I don't even need it.
Just run some wet string from your house to his!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Punisher wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:59 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:31 am Last night I installed a brand-new SB8200 modem in anticipation of the soon-to-come speed bump Comcast is giving us to 100 megs down. The modem was our family XMas present.

Just run some wet string from your house to his!
:clap: