The Inevitable 2017 Weight Loss Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Happy New Year, fatties!

(I.e, you're all wonderful people with unique bodies, circumstances, and health goals. Let's motivate one another.)

Code: Select all

01/01/17: 312.4
11/25/16: 308.2
01/06/16: 322.8 
Intermittently between July and November I made an earnest effort to get in shape for the first time in a while, and it felt good. Unfortunately, I kind of fell off the wagon in December.

I'm revitalized and ready to try again. Not because it's a new year and there's magic in the air, but because I really want to feel better and be healthier. Depression constantly threatens to derail me, but I know if I can strive to overcome it my success should snowball, as my weight is one my main triggers. It would also be nice to have a better/easier/more rewarding sex life/intimacy (with Mrs. Nym!), which between the additional 30+ pounds I've maintained for most of the past five years since taking on a sedentary, stressful job, and the anti-depressants, can be challenge. (Pardon the TMI, if anyone cares.)

As well, I've been experiencing occasional irregular heartbeat for the last several months. I don't know whether it's serious (I've been in touch with my doctor, and am in fact wearing a Holter monitor for two days later this week), but at the very least it's uncomfortable. And even if improving my health doesn't help, I'm looking at developing more health issues in the coming decade if I don't start getting things under control. (I'm 32.)

My ideal goal, for starters, would be to get below 300 by end of February. If I stick with it I know I can achieve this faster, but I don't want to burn out.
Last edited by Sudy on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Re: The Inevitable 2017 Weight Loss Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

01/01 - 265.8
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Where were you and DD*, man? Do you want to know how many times I had to refresh EBG as I was writing my initial post?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was asleep.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm still toting baby weight, and it really has to go. My wife will hopefully be starting work soon and then I'll know what the "routine" is going to be going forward. Likely it's going to be me watching the kids myself in the evening, so I can start going to the gym again and dropping them in the baby prison after fetching them from the sitter.

1/1/17 - 221.0 +0
1/8/17 - 221.0 +0
1/15/17 - 221.0 +0 at least I'm consistent.
1/29/17 - 220.5 (0.5) progress? Maybe walked a little more last week.
2/5/17 - 218.0 (3.0) I guess taking care of both kids is calorie-consuming
2/20/17 - 216.0 (5.0) Spring has sprung! Unreasonably warm weather meant biking and hiking and...weight loss!
3/11/17 - 215.0 (6.0) Winter is back! Expecting hibernation pounds to accrue this week.
6/12/17 - 209.4 (11.6) After spending the last week moving, I attribute this weight loss entirely to a lighter wallet.
Last edited by Jeff V on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was doing well (running, eating right) until the first week of October. That set off a series of vacations which led into the holidays, and it was all over but the crying. Wound up gaining nearly 10 pounds in two months.

Now that the holiday excuse is over, it's time to get my ass in gear again.

2017 Goal: 180.0

1/3/17 - 194.0
Last edited by YellowKing on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

YellowKing wrote:I was doing well (running, eating right) until the first week of October. That set off a series of vacations went led into the holidays, and it was all over but the crying. Wound up gaining nearly 10 pounds in two months.

Now that the holiday excuse is over, it's time to get my ass in gear again.
Me too.

November and December hasn't been kind to my health.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Last year I gained weight, then lost weight, then gained weight again -- my usual annual pattern: Summer good, winter bad. At worst I was up about 7 pounds, at best down by about 3, and I ended up by 2.5 pounds. The burning question is where my friendly rival miltonite finished. :horse:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I really need to keep myself motivated this year. First goal is to get below 200 again.

1/2 - 213.4
Hodor.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm not too sure about this concept. Last year didn't go to well in my experience. :ninja:
two months
MHS

Post by MHS »

I gave up last year and really went with the "screw it" mentality and ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I think it was partly because I was really convinced my kidneys were going to fail last year. They didn't (although they did dip below the cutoff for getting on the transplant list at one point, but then for some bizarre reason went way back up).

But it turns out, eating whatever I want, whenever I want isn't that terrible. I started the year at 190 and ended at 187.5. Kind of makes dieting seem dumb. (Now if only I could get to my ideal weight of 165 and THEN eat whatever, whenever, that would be ideal, but although it takes months of hard work and dedication to lose it. I seem to gain everything back in 3 weeks if I stop tracking...unless I'm already fat, apparently.

I will probably pay lip service to losing and not actually do anything about it (as per usual) but maybe I'll pop in for updates.

1/1 - 187.5
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Zork

Post by Zork »

I lost a little over 15 pounds last year (but put a few back on with New Year's Eve and Day) and would like to do the same again this year.

2017 Goal = 220 lbs

01/02 = 234.0 | bf% = 21.6
-Zork
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Kraken wrote: The burning question is where my friendly rival miltonite finished. :horse:
I was at +1 and am here to make that number red again.

01/02 - 248.4lbs
Total 0.0lbs
I do not have a goal weight, my goal is to beat Kraken. That is all I strive for in life.

Hopefully we will get more to stay in the whole year with us again.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

miltonite wrote: I do not have a goal weight, my goal is to beat Kraken. That is all I strive for in life.
:lol:

Last year you won by gaining 1 lb to my 2.5. Maybe we can agree to get those numbers up this year.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Well I am down for keeping my number in the red if you can do the same. I just didn't want you to end up over your start weight by yourself. I couldn't let that happen.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MHS wrote:eating whatever I want, whenever I want isn't that terrible. I started the year at 190 and ended at 187.5. Kind of makes dieting seem dumb.
I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Isgrimnur wrote:I was asleep.
+1 - though I would like the record to show that I was *not* sleeping with Isg. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I did buy the Jayne hat for my wife...
MHS

Post by MHS »

Kraken wrote:
MHS wrote:eating whatever I want, whenever I want isn't that terrible. I started the year at 190 and ended at 187.5. Kind of makes dieting seem dumb.
I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
I think it's mostly that my torso is so damn full of kidneys that I literally can only eat about half the amounts I used to before I feel super uncomfortably full and vaguely nauseated. You'd think I'd have lost even more weight, given how little I actually eat anymore, but unfortunately all the things I DO eat are sugar-laden carb bombs, and the amount of exercise I get has dropped to almost nil. So even though I weigh less than at the start of the year, I look more doughy.

Diet plan: 2/8 tentacles. Do not recommend.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Here we go.

01/03 185.7
TOTAL ---

Miles walked this week: ----
Miles walked this year: ----
Miles walked 2016: 725.8
Miles walked 2015: 593.9
Miles walked 2014: 735.7

Goals are the same as last year: Get to 175 and stay there, and humiliate miltonite.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

01/06 - 265.0
01/01 - 265.8
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Kraken wrote:and humiliate miltonite.
BRING IT. I am 3/0. :tjg:
:horse:

Smutly

Post by Smutly »

I'll play...!

1/7 - 265 lbs
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Sudy Nym wrote:As well, I've been experiencing occasional irregular heartbeat for the last several months. I don't know whether it's serious (I've been in touch with my doctor, and am in fact wearing a Holter monitor for two days later this week), but at the very least it's uncomfortable. And even if improving my health doesn't help, I'm looking at developing more health issues in the coming decade if I don't start getting things under control. (I'm 32.)
I missed this the first go-around and sorry to hear it. I have been experiencing the same symptoms and just turned in my Holter monitor yesterday. Will see the doc again this Thursday to review that plus blood work. He didn't seem too concerned, but when you're the one experiencing the palpitations it's not very comforting. Anyway, this is part of my motivation to lose weight as well. Good luck.
Black Lives Matter*

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

1/2 - 213.4
1/9 - 213.0
Total change: -0.4
Hodor.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Start 224.1 Up 3.9lbs over last 365 days Goal:180 If I get below 200 will strongly consider buying a Peloton

9 JAN 17 - 220.7
Zork

Post by Zork »

Smutly wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:As well, I've been experiencing occasional irregular heartbeat for the last several months. I don't know whether it's serious (I've been in touch with my doctor, and am in fact wearing a Holter monitor for two days later this week), but at the very least it's uncomfortable. And even if improving my health doesn't help, I'm looking at developing more health issues in the coming decade if I don't start getting things under control. (I'm 32.)
I missed this the first go-around and sorry to hear it. I have been experiencing the same symptoms and just turned in my Holter monitor yesterday. Will see the doc again this Thursday to review that plus blood work. He didn't seem too concerned, but when you're the one experiencing the palpitations it's not very comforting. Anyway, this is part of my motivation to lose weight as well. Good luck.
I am sorry you're going through this, it's scary as shit when you're heart feels all jacked up and you don't know why. I would *highly* recommend you buy some ionic magnesium like this or this. The powdered version is MUCH more tolerable IMHO. I would suggest starting small and working your way up to a larger dose. Insert standard disclaimer notice here: consult your physician before taking any supplements.

A little history on me:

I am 47 and have a heart arrhythmia (atrial fibrillation aka afib) and before I was officially diagnosed, I had gone to urgent care *several* times thinking I was having a heart attack (heart rate was 150+ for no apparent reason). In fact one time I called 911 when my heart was racing and by the time the paramedics showed up I was back in normal sinus rhythm. I wore an event/holter monitor twice for a week and they never found it. It was frustrating to say the least. I also had a stress test and they found no issues.

My dad (who is 73) has afib and has had two ablations to try and reduce number afib episodes.

After I was diagnosed with afib in April of 2015, I started doing research and ran across this book. It states that a good portion of heart arrhythmias are caused (or at least exacerbated) by a magnesium deficiency.

I started taking Ionic Magnesium and Trace Minerals. Since I was only having an afib episode every 4-6 months I didn't see an immediate improvement, but my dad who would get them almost daily saw a huge improvement. After taking Ionic Magnesium and Trace Minerals my dad's afib episodes were cut by at least 75%. He was also able to cut his heart meds by 66%.

Feel free to take my story with a grain of salt, but it's a least worth a look.

Hopefully this helps! :)

-Zork

[edit: one thing I forgot to mention is that for me, a combination of alcohol and sweets will cause an afib episode regardless of the amount of magnesium I've had. I had an afib episode Christmas Eve after a liberal dose of Fireball/Hard Apple Cider and apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Typically, I can have one or the other, but not both at the same meal.]

Funny video: Heart rhythm dance
Last edited by Zork on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zork

Post by Zork »

2017 Goal = 220 lbs

01/09 = 232.6 | bf% = 21.2
-Zork
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Zork wrote:A little history on me: ...history...
Thanks for sharing. I'm in my mid 40s and my dad is in his mid-70s and has recently been diagnosed with afib...so I certainly appreciate the information! Seeing the doc on Thursday so will hopefully have a path forward from there, but I will definitely keep this in my back pocket. Cheers!
Black Lives Matter*

miltonite

Post by miltonite »

01/09 - 249.4lbs
01/02 - 248.4lbs
Total 1.0lbs

Off to a great start...

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

01/10 184.4
01/03 185.7
TOTAL -1.3

Miles walked this week: 7
Miles walked this year: 7
Miles walked 2016: 725.8
Miles walked 2015: 593.9
Miles walked 2014: 735.7

Ate a lot of soup last week. Planning to keep doing that all winter. Unlike most winter comfort foods, soup is guiltless. Well, except for my lentil soup with dumplings. Mmmmm, dumplings.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jan 1st 2017 -- 230.2
Jan 10th 2017 -- 227.6  -2.6
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

01/13 - 264.6
01/06 - 265.0
01/01 - 265.8
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

And my digital scale broke... Hopefully not due to the physical stress being placed upon it. Anyone have a recommendation? I know, it's just a scale, but who knows...?
Black Lives Matter*

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just peaked at 196.0, so I started running again yesterday. My plan is to go through the entire Zombies, Run! app. I think the farthest I ever got was Season 1 and half of Season 2. This time I'm devoted to finishing up all seasons released so far.

I was really encouraged yesterday when I finished my run and got an email from the app telling me I had run my 100th kilometer with the app. Cool!

The period of January to March is typically my most wasted time of year in terms of getting in shape. I typically don't start doing anything until late March/early April, and by that time I'm starting from square one and rushed to try to lose weight before summer. This year I'm hoping by the time I hit that late March time frame, I'll already have been running for 8 or 9 weeks. That will be a significant head start heading into prime running season.

One way I'm going to accomplish this is running on lunch breaks. I live 10 minutes from work, so provided I pack a lunch I should be able to get home, run 30 minutes, take a quick shower, and get back to work. This eliminates my normal excuse of "it's too dark to run when I get home."
Last edited by YellowKing on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

YellowKing wrote:I live 10 minutes from home
Are there some domestic issues you'd like to share with the group?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

1/16 - 211.2
1/9 - 213.0
1/2 - 213.4
Total change: -2.2
Hodor.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Max Peck wrote:Are there some domestic issues you'd like to share with the group?
More like I spend too much freaking time at work! :doh:
Zork

Post by Zork »

2017 Goal = 220 lbs

01/09 = 232.6 | bf% = 21.2
01/16 = 232.2 | bf% = 21.7
-Zork
Kraken