Super Bowl LII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Super Bowl LII

Post by Jeff V »

Because talk about Buffalo does not belong in an NFL playoff thread.
Last edited by Jeff V on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:01 am, edited 25 times in total.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Re: 2017 NFL Offseason

Post by Isgrimnur »

:hawk:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They can't be forced, and I doubt they'll volunteer.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LA Chargers
The Chargers, who began their NFL existence in Los Angeles 57 years ago before moving to San Diego after their inaugural season, are headed back up Interstate 5 to join the Rams in the City of Angels.
In the weeks and months leading up to the announcement, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora has reported that the Chargers felt that they have no choice but to move to Los Angeles due to the tenuous stadium situation in San Diego.

La Canfora has also reported that the NFL would rather have the Chargers in San Diego, even if Spanos thinks he has a better chance of financially succeeding in L.A. On Tuesday, La Canfora reported the league office and several owners have "grave concerns about the potential of having two teams" in L.A.
The decision to relocate was a difficult one for Chargers owner Dean Spanos, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, but with no stadium resolution in sight, and the Rams already a season into their move, "Spanos believes he needs to start fighting for the Los Angeles market as soon as possible."
stessier

Post by stessier »

FWIW, that is not the new logo - it was for today and marketing purposes only. It will not be on the helmets, uniforms, or field.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If the NFL were really interested in keeping the Chargers in SD, they would have ponied up the extra money for the stadium and future Super Bowls.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It seems like the Chargers would be top on Hard Knocks' list this year, but maybe there's a rule that they don't focus on teams with a first year head coach?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:It seems like the Chargers would be top on Hard Knocks' list this year, but maybe there's a rule that they don't focus on teams with a first year head coach?
Fans of the Ravens, Browns, Titans, Colts, Eagles, Bears, Buccaneers or Saints may get an up-close view of their training camp this summer.
A team can be forced to appear on Hard Knocks if it meets the following three conditions:

1. It hasn’t appeared on Hard Knocks in the last 10 years.

2. It hasn’t made the playoffs in the last two years.

3. It doesn’t have a new head coach.

If a team volunteers to appear on Hard Knocks, that team would appear on the show because the league prefers not to have to force a team to do it. But in many years, no team volunteers because coaches typically don’t enjoy the intrusion into their training camps. So it will probably be one of those eight teams appearing on HBO this summer.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Please don't be the Browns. Please don't be the Browns. Please don't be the Browns...
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You can probably figure at least another two months until it's announced.
Wiki wrote:On June 12, 2014, the Atlanta Falcons announced that the team would participate in the 2014 season of Hard Knocks premiering on August 5, 2014.
On May 27, 2015, it was announced the Houston Texans would be the team featured for the 2015 season premiering on August 11, 2015.
On March 23, 2016, it was announced the Los Angeles Rams will be the team featured for the 2016 season premiering on August 9, 2016.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It was funnier before the NFL deleted their tweet of the new logo.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, that is pretty awesome. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

ImLawBoy wrote:
I think we need to get those two on Maury before Ill be convinced.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Too bad, too. Powder blue goes so well with my eyes.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-cha ... story.html

Chargers shouldn't look for a welcome wagon in L.A.

... just what we need, the return of a professional sports team with no buzz, no tradition, few local fans north of south Orange County, limited success, and an owner who just stole them away from a place where they were loved unconditionally for 56 years.

What was the NFL thinking? What are the Chargers thinking? I know what Spanos is thinking, that he is leaving behind those unwashed heathens who didn’t want their tax dollars to pay for a football stadium and sliding into Stan Kroenke’s Inglewood palace to ride piggyback on the Rams.

What a guy. What a joke.

The problem is not that Los Angeles must now be asked to support two NFL teams after 22 years of somehow surviving with none. We knew this would happen. This was the deal when the Rams returned last year. This is what the NFL has always wanted for Inglewood, so there was no avoiding it.

The problem is, the second team should have been the Raiders. The Southland is filled with Raiders fans everywhere. I have still never met a single Chargers fan.

The NFL will feel the full embarrassment of this move next fall when the Raiders play the Chargers here and the stadium will be painted in silver and black. At least that game will be sold out. Whether they initially play in the giant Coliseum or the tiny confines of StubHub Center, it’s hard to imagine the Chargers selling many tickets for any of their other games in the next two years before the Inglewood palace opens.

The Chargers aren’t even the second team in town behind the Rams. The Chargers aren’t even the third team of interest here behind the Rams and Raiders. The Chargers might not even be in the top-five favorite NFL teams in Los Angeles.

And now they’re going to play their home games here? It’s difficult to imagine many people really caring. Look at how many fans fled the Rams after they won only four games in their dismal return season here. Are those fans now going to get behind a team that has advanced to one Super Bowl since the Super Bowl began being played 51 years ago? The Chargers have won four playoff games in 22 years and, like, don’t we already have one of those teams?

The Rams have been awful, and are currently terrible, but because they played here for 48 years, they still feel like “our” Rams.

The Chargers will brag about how they were born here in 1960, but, seriously, they stuck around only one year before fleeing south.

The Chargers are San Diego’s team. The Chargers are beloved there. The Chargers belong there. And in coming days, don’t listen to all these NFL experts moan that because of stadium issues, the Chargers couldn’t make it work there.

Sure they could. According to a recent Forbes ranking, the Spanos family is worth $2.1 billion. They could have made it work there if they weren’t insistent on using public money that the people of San Diego smartly refused to give them.

Think about this. The NFL gave Spanos an unprecedented $300 million to make a $1.2-billion stadium work, and he still couldn’t figure out a way to come up with the rest without picking the taxpayers’ pockets.

So he moves the Chargers to a foreign land where they will play among strangers so his team can play for one dollar a year — seriously — in a $2.6 -billion stadium that Kroenke is building with no public money.

It gets worse. Spanos will have to pay as much as a $650-million relocation fee to bring his team here. Think he could have used that money toward a new stadium in San Diego?

While the Rams returned home in triumph, Spanos will come to Los Angeles in shame. Remember how Art Modell gave 35 years of his life to owning the Cleveland Browns, then suddenly moved them to Baltimore? The once-beloved Modell spent the rest of his days as the scourge of Cleveland. The same will happen to Spanos in San Diego, his legacy sold up the freeway.

And who exactly will be coming up that freeway with him? Who cares? The Chargers have better players than the Rams, but they still generally stink. They don’t have a coach, they fired the last guy, whoever he was. They have a 35-year-old quarterback named Philip Rivers who’s a pretty good dude, but how much longer will he keep playing?

The team will be unfortunate, unwitting participants in this mess, and it’s hard to imagine them initially being received as much more than a novelty act.

The good news about the Chargers’ move is that nobody will have to spend much money on a welcome parade. It will be a short one. There will be one limo carrying Spanos and one Brink’s truck carrying his loot, both moving hurriedly up that freeway ahead of the muffled San Diego cries, all of Los Angeles peering briefly out the windows before closing their blinds.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Pegulas (the Bills' owners) gave an interview. I don't know what to think about it. They really declined to answer most of the questions and I was confused by the ones they did answer.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It sucks for Chargers fans, although I am very glad that San Diego refused to pony up for a new stadium. Taxpayers funding stadiums for billionaires can't stop soon enough.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I will buy some steeply discounted tickets on Stubhub to watch the Chargers, just for the novelty of it. They named Anthony Lynn (from the Bills) as their new coach. And they need to draft a new quarterback ASAP.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

And the Broncos pick Vance Joseph as their new head coach.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

If I owned the Bills, I would never put Doug Whaley in front of the media again. Holy Underpants. Today at McDermott's press conference, someone asked Whaley why their focus this year was on candidates without any head coaching experience.

His answer was that winning is about two things: Players, and winning.

Oy vey.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote:I will buy some steeply discounted tickets on Stubhub to watch the Chargers, just for the novelty of it. They named Anthony Lynn (from the Bills) as their new coach. And they need to draft a new quarterback ASAP.
The Chargers need a new QB? That's one hot take.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote:I will buy some steeply discounted tickets on Stubhub to watch the Chargers, just for the novelty of it. They named Anthony Lynn (from the Bills) as their new coach. And they need to draft a new quarterback ASAP.
Aren't they playing in a high school football stadium for the next couple of years? Surely there will be enough die-hard fans willing to make the drive to fill the place.

Once they move into bigger digs, though, I suspect there will be much local blackout. And that'll help them gain more fans, won't it?
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Elway isn't screwing around.

Mike McCoy will be new Broncos OC and Bill Musgrave new QB coach.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The side of the field affects referees' willingness to throw flags in a statistically significant manner. You hear that Caldwell? START BITCHING (just like your fanbase).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote:
The Chargers need a new QB? That's one hot take.
The man is psychic I tell you!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Dear Chargers,
WE WON'T MOVE YOU TO LOS ANGELES.
Love,
Your Local San Diego Moving Companies
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Second in NFL career receiving yards with 15,934.
Third in NFL career receiving touchdowns with 153.
Led NFL in touchdowns three seasons.
A five-time Associated Press First Team All-Pro.
:think:
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I don't know how you let Kurt Warner in while keeping TO out. But he's not the first WR that's had to wait.
Make up bags of change
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I have no problem with Warner - I think he still holds the top 3 places for most yards in a SB? - but clearly TO should be in the Hall. He's obviously being snubbed for personality rather than statistical reasons.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

My problem with Warner is that half of his career, he was great. For the other half, he was trash.

He's in though, so it's not like my opinion matters.
Make up bags of change
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Kurt Warner got the Rams to the Super Bowl and a win there. He got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl as well, the CARDINALS! The man is a football god and deserves to be in the HOF. The only greater possible accomplishment is if a QB someday gets the Lions and Browns into the Super Bowl.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

gameoverman wrote:Kurt Warner got the Rams to the Super Bowl and a win there. He got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl as well, the CARDINALS! The man is a football god and deserves to be in the HOF.
I get that, and I understand why he's in the Hall of Fame. From 1999-2001, he was incredible. For 2008 and 2009, he was good.

From 2002-2007, he was garbage. Over those 6 seasons, he made 42 starts (out of a possible 96) due to a combination of injury and losing his job multiple times. In those 42 starts, his teams were 13 - 29. He was less than mediocre during the entire stretch. Think Tyrod Taylor passing skills without any mobility.

And that was 6 years of his career compared to only 5 good years, of which only 3 would be considered great.

But the voters voted. I'll have to take solace in the knowledge that I was right, that he wasn't a first ballot HOFer. :)
Make up bags of change
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm mostly excited about TD finally being recognized. LT too, but TD is the reason Denver finally won a Super Bowl and was absolutely dominant while he was healthy
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LT seemed like a lock. Good for TD though, he was incredible before his knees exploded.
Make up bags of change
geezer

Post by geezer »

RunningMn9 wrote:Good for TD though, he was incredible before his knees exploded.
He had one fewer good years than Warner. :ninja:
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

He did, but he also had no complete garbage years. ;)
Make up bags of change
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

RunningMn9 wrote:He did, but he also had no complete garbage years. ;)
Did you just completely ignore 1999-2001? Those were not good years.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

As EvilHomer said, his post 2000 yard season career was pretty garbage.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Again, during the off season, it's all about Tom Brady...

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/most-po ... 6818-story
ATLANTA - Zoo Atlanta has a sense of humor when it comes to Super Bowl LI. They say they had made a bet with the Providence Zoo, Roger Williams Park Zoo and Carousel Village, that the losing side would name one of their baby animals after the winning team's star quarterback.

But instead of picking an adorable baby animal like a penguin or a bear, Zoo Atlanta named a Madagascar hissing cockroach after Patriots quarterback Tom Brady
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

pr0ner wrote:
As EvilHomer said, his post 2000 yard season career was pretty garbage.
Right, because a handful of games into each season his knees detonated. As I mentioned earlier, TD (and I wasn't at all bothered by it taking 10 years for him to get in) was because he was ridiculous until his knees started exploding.

Warner had three years when he was great, followed by six bullshit years where he got benched repeatedly for being poop, followed by two good years.

In my world I don't think either make it in. In this world, both made it in. I can live with that.
Make up bags of change