Super Bowl LII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rip

Re: 2017 NFL Free Agency Season

Post by Rip »

stessier wrote:
Rip wrote:What is next, a no tackle rule?
I thought the same thing and then I heard the league's reasoning. The coaches had determined the likely way to defend the play was to have the center fire straight up out of his stance in an attempt to touch the Leaper so it would be a penalty. They feared this was going to lead to head contact, Leapers landing on their own heads as the got upended, or Leaper falling straight on the back of the center/guard.

It stinks as it was a fun play, but it's not totally crazy to ban it.
So ban something that might cause injuries in the future while ignoring all the things that have actually been causing injuries for years. Gotcha.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

That was a play worth banning because it looks dorky. If they want to claim it's about player safety that's fine with me.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rip wrote:
stessier wrote:
I thought the same thing and then I heard the league's reasoning. The coaches had determined the likely way to defend the play was to have the center fire straight up out of his stance in an attempt to touch the Leaper so it would be a penalty. They feared this was going to lead to head contact, Leapers landing on their own heads as the got upended, or Leaper falling straight on the back of the center/guard.

So ban something that might cause injuries in the future while ignoring all the things that have actually been causing injuries for years. Gotcha.
They want to change the celebration rules too. Happy?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Breaking news: Romo is retiring and going into broadcasting.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Isgrimnur wrote:Breaking news: Romo is retiring and going into broadcasting.
Says a source with knowledge of Romo's plans. Romo, himself, has not, at this time, come out and said this.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
stessier

Post by stessier »

The twitter-verse is a twitter. None of the insiders are saying it's untrue.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'm not saying it's untrue either. Just that it's not coming from Romo and is not official. At this point it's a rumor.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

stessier wrote:
Rip wrote:
stessier wrote:

They want to change the celebration rules too. Happy?
They should just rename it "penalty-ball" instead.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

EvilHomer3k wrote:I'm not saying it's untrue either. Just that it's not coming from Romo and is not official. At this point it's a rumor.
He's got the #1 commentator job on CBS with Jim Nantz.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:I'm not saying it's untrue either. Just that it's not coming from Romo and is not official. At this point it's a rumor.
Came to post this. Interesting that they're making a guy with zero broadcasting experience their #1 color analyst.

Wonder what happens with Simms now?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Skinypupy wrote:
stessier wrote:
Came to post this. Interesting that they're making a guy with zero broadcasting experience their #1 color analyst.

Wonder what happens with Simms now?
Cowboys backup.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
stessier

Post by stessier »

Bill Barnwell wrote:I hear the Browns are prepared to absorb Phil Simms's guaranteed salary if CBS will send them a draft pick.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He's angling for a tryout with the Mets.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Get ready to watch Thursday night NFL on Amazon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... g-package/
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow - Dean Blandino (head of officiating) just resigned from the NFL to go work on TV.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It worked for Mike Pereira. Not so much for Mike Carey.

WaPo, June 11, 2016
Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch confirmed the initial report from the New York Daily News’s Bob Raissman stating Carey will not be retained by CBS as the station’s rules analyst for the upcoming season. Carey was an NFL referee for 24 seasons before joining the CBS television crew ahead of the 2014 season. After reviewing his past two years of work, the network opted to go in a different direction for the 2016 campaign, with Raissman reporting CBS will likely not bring in another ex-referee but instead pursue NFL Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino as a possible solution.

The decision comes after a season in which Carey faced public backlash to his incorrect analyses. Most notably, Carey twice drew the ire of social media during the postseason after wrongly predicting booth review outcomes in the AFC championship and Super Bowl.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

So now that Hernandez has been found not guilty can we expect him to play for the Pats this year?

Oh wait, so it is only for the second set of murders? Seems like a tragic waste of money when he was already doing life.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Rip wrote:So now that Hernandez has been found not guilty can we expect him to play for the Pats this year?

Oh wait, so it is only for the second set of murders? Seems like a tragic waste of money when he was already doing life.
Not to the families of the victims.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Yep, families deserve justice and closure.

That's what this was about.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Well, it looks like people got their closure. Aaron Hernandez apparently committed suicide in his cell yesterday. http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aaron- ... z-suicide/
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Not only closure but closure that saves the taxpayers money instead of costing it.

If only all killers could be so thoughtful.

I'm not normally forgiving of killers but this final gesture earns him forgiveness from me.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

rshetts2 wrote:Well, it looks like people got their closure. Aaron Hernandez apparently committed "suicide" in his cell yesterday. http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aaron- ... z-suicide/
FTFY
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:Well, it looks like people got their closure. Aaron Hernandez apparently committed "suicide" in his cell yesterday. http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aaron- ... z-suicide/
FTFY
So "they" got to him? :ninja:
Black Lives Matter.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:
FTFY
So "they" got to him? :ninja:
I would be talkin' to Goodell. He seems to have a thing for the Patriots.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I thought he would last longer. I wonder if this was a financial move. If he dies does it benefit his estate in some way? If he lives years in prison, does it cost him anything? I read that he'll technically be considered innocent since he wasn't able to appeal any of this. I'm sure dying innocent vs dying guilty would have financial ramifications for someone with a lot of money to leave behind.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hernandez was not a good guy, but there should still be an independent investigation into his death. The method seems difficult to believe - did you see the guy's neck? It certainly wasn't quick if he did it on his own.
Rip

Post by Rip »

So coming out now that he left a note to his gay jailhouse lover as well as wife wife and daughter.

Also hearing that this may tie into WHY he killed Odin because Odin knew and had been teasing him and he may have been worried Odim would out him to his girlfriend who we all remember happened to be Hernandez's girlfriend's sister.

Wow, this is going to make one hell of a movie.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Rip wrote:So coming out now that he left a note to his gay jailhouse lover as well as wife wife and daughter.

Also hearing that this may tie into WHY he killed Odin because Odin knew and had been teasing him and he may have been worried Odim would out him to his girlfriend who we all remember happened to be Hernandez's girlfriend's sister.
Links? I've seen nothing from the Boston Globe, the New York Times, or the District Attorney's website to suggest any of that. Not to say it isn't possible, and it would not surprise me, but I haven't seen any such thing suggested.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kelric wrote:Links? I've seen nothing from the Boston Globe, the New York Times, or the District Attorney's website to suggest any of that. Not to say it isn't possible, and it would not surprise me, but I haven't seen any such thing suggested.
Newsweek:
One of the notes left by Hernandez was to his prison boyfriend, who is now on 24/7 suicide watch, multiple law enforcement sources confirm. Hernandez’s sexuality would, of course, not be relevant save for the fact that an intimate relationship he allegedly had with a male former high school classmate was at the center of the investigation into Lloyd’s murder.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

ESPN is laying off a bunch of people today - including Ed Werder. I always liked his reporting. He tweeted out that he has been let go, but he is not retiring. Be interesting to see where he pops up.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will say that I am finding ever less use for ESPN.com. I still go there periodically, but the content there generally isn't terribly interesting.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:ESPN is laying off a bunch of people today - including Ed Werder. I always liked his reporting. He tweeted out that he has been let go, but he is not retiring. Be interesting to see where he pops up.
If you are laying off Ed Werder, Jesus.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I wish they would move away from the bombastic, argue everything type shows. I still am a fan of PTI, mainly because I like Kornheiser and Wilbon, but I can't stand guys like Stephan A. Smith and Skip Bayless (who at least they got rid of last year).
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I wish they would move away from the bombastic, argue everything type shows. I still am a fan of PTI, mainly because I like Kornheiser and Wilbon, but I can't stand guys like Stephan A. Smith and Skip Bayless (who at least they got rid of last year).
+more than my keyboard will type

Can not stand Smith or Bayless both are simply assholes spouting opinions they think will generate the most controversy.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, Trubiski sounds like a Bears QB.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Time to change the thread to Draft Weekend.

Niners won the 1st round. Thanks Chicago!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote:Well, Trubiski sounds like a Bears QB.
We're renaming him Cutler to save on uniforms.
Black Lives Matter
PLW

Re: 2017 NFL Draft Season

Post by PLW »

Chicago is going to regret Trubiski over Watson. Edit: and Mahomes? What? Texans got a steal.
Last edited by PLW on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

naednek wrote:Time to change the thread to Draft Weekend.

Niners won the 1st round. Thanks Chicago!
I agree. Then to come back into the first round and grab Foster at 31. Good job.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter