Super Bowl LII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: 2017 NFL Draft Season

Post by stessier »

The 49ers traded down a slot with Chicago and then Chicago took Trubisky. 49ers made their selection and this was their awesome twitter notice of the guy's pick -
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You guys just don't understand draft strategy. The thing you do, see, is you find the strategy that works for the most successful team in the league, and then you invert that strategy for even greater success! Sure, the Patriots have done well by trading down and amassing picks, but if you can give away a bunch of your picks to trade up one spot to get a gamble of a QB who will now command second pick money? You've gotta jump at that chance.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote:You guys just don't understand draft strategy. The thing you do, see, is you find the strategy that works for the most successful team in the league, and then you invert that strategy for even greater success! Sure, the Patriots have done well by trading down and amassing picks, but if you can give away a bunch of your picks to trade up one spot to get a gamble of a QB who will now command second pick money? You've gotta jump at that chance.
And this is why we can't have nice Super Bowl parades.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Clinically, what the Bears did is called PCDS ( post cutler distress syndrome ).
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

PLW wrote:Chicago is going to regret Trubiski over Watson. Edit: and Mahomes? What? Texans got a steal.
Mahomes strikes me as more of the Andy Reid style QB than Watson does.

Watson is the most talented QB of the three, and was the most successful college QB, but I get why the draft order was Trubisky, Mahomes, then Watson.
Hodor.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

All I can figure on what Chicago did is some team must have made it seem like they were going to trade up for that guy. So it's not that Chicago thought the 49ers would pick him, but that they were convinced someone was going to jump into that spot. Meanwhile, if you're Chicago and he's the main focus of this draft for you, can you stand by and let that happen? No, you move up to get him.

This entire thing could have been a setup. I'm not sure what the other mystery team would gain if they weren't really trying to move up, but there's always some angle being played.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ian Rappaport reported there was definitely a second team and that Chicago offered a superior package to trade up. No comment on who it was, though, or if they were trying to get Trubisky too.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rip

Post by Rip »

Mixon to the Bengals, perfect fit.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: This entire thing could have been a setup. I'm not sure what the other mystery team would gain if they weren't really trying to move up, but there's always some angle being played.
The angle of course being the current management and coaching staff are looking for an early termination buyout on their contracts. A year from now a whole new regime will be here once again to try to make sense of this mess.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Really liking our new GM. People seemed to underestimate him due to his lack of experience, but so far I like his aggressiveness. Too early to tell if it pans out.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

naednek wrote:Really liking our new GM. People seemed to underestimate him due to his lack of experience, but so far I like his aggressiveness. Too early to tell if it pans out.
I didn't follow too much last night but it's hard to argue against JL's Day One performance. Absolutely fleecing the Bears, and then coming back in to get Foster (although I learned last year to take those medical issues on shoulders seriously ;)).

I was very supportive of the Bills on Day 1. There was no way to say no to the Chiefs offer (they overpaid quite a bit), but I really would have liked to see them hold on to their picks last night (or even pick up another). Trading up to get the WR they wanted (400 catches in college?!), ok.

But coming back into the second round for a RT that most project as a G? I just have to hope that this is a similar situation to Cordy Glenn who was a 2nd rounder who everyone said was a G but who has turned into an above average LT. The guy they took last night is huge and has 35" arms, and has started three years at LT. Need to read more to see why many/most are projecting G for him.

But giving up two extra picks to move up. We need too many bodies for that nonsense.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

gameoverman wrote:All I can figure on what Chicago did is some team must have made it seem like they were going to trade up for that guy. So it's not that Chicago thought the 49ers would pick him, but that they were convinced someone was going to jump into that spot. Meanwhile, if you're Chicago and he's the main focus of this draft for you, can you stand by and let that happen? No, you move up to get him.

This entire thing could have been a setup. I'm not sure what the other mystery team would gain if they weren't really trying to move up, but there's always some angle being played.
Thats the likely scenario. The problem is with the Bears perceived value of Trubisky. Now the one thing that is true is that the QB is a high value pick if he pans out but if he doesnt, this kind of deal is a team killer and will likely cost the GM his job. So from that perspective, its a heck of a gamble on the GM's part. I dont think its a good one but I respect the guy for having enough faith in the kid to put it on the line for him.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

rshetts2 wrote:
gameoverman wrote:All I can figure on what Chicago did is some team must have made it seem like they were going to trade up for that guy. So it's not that Chicago thought the 49ers would pick him, but that they were convinced someone was going to jump into that spot. Meanwhile, if you're Chicago and he's the main focus of this draft for you, can you stand by and let that happen? No, you move up to get him.

Thats the likely scenario. The problem is with the Bears perceived value of Trubisky. Now the one thing that is true is that the QB is a high value pick if he pans out but if he doesnt, this kind of deal is a team killer and will likely cost the GM his job. So from that perspective, its a heck of a gamble on the GM's part. I dont think its a good one but I respect the guy for having enough faith in the kid to put it on the line for him.
Yeah, the Niners were absolutely going to try for a trade out of the 2 slot if Garrett went #1, and the most likely takers were those interested in Trubisky (or at least a QB, and there were a lot of people who traded up for QB's in the 1st round this year). Essentially, it was very likely that a QB was going to go #2, and I think most teams expected it to be Trubisky off the board 1st of the QB's.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

naednek wrote:Really liking our new GM. People seemed to underestimate him due to his lack of experience, but so far I like his aggressiveness. Too early to tell if it pans out.
I know he got some flack for picking up Joe Williams in the 4th, but I think you guys will like him. He's blazing fast, and when he's on, he was unstoppable (given, the 4 O-lineman that were just drafted that he was running behind probably helped that a bit). He had a rough start to last year and actually stepped away for a while, but was able to turn it around and actually has a pretty amazing story. I'm rooting really, really hard for this kid to succeed, even if he is a Niner.

Breakdown of draftees by school. Utah had it's best draft class ever, with 8 being drafted (tops in the P12). The Big 12 only had 14 players total get drafted. WTF??
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote:But giving up two extra picks to move up. We need too many bodies for that nonsense.
Perhaps that's why the Bills' GM was fired this morning.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

pr0ner wrote:Perhaps that's why the Bills' GM was fired this morning.
The Bills GM was effectively fired almost two months ago when the team elected to stick with Tyrod at QB. McDermott has been running the team since then. They just made it official today.

It wouldn't make sense to fire him over the draft (even that trade), since the draft was considered quite good in most circles, and because the owners would have had to sign off on all three trades as well. If they didn't like them, they could have just not approved them.

Clearly McDermott had a theme for this draft (experience, character and versatility), and had players he wanted. So they moved up and got them. His job is on the line, not mine, so I will cut them some slack.

In thinking about it, Whaley's days were likely numbered after that disastrous press conference they held when Rex was fired. That was as embarrassing a display as I've ever seen from an NFL GM.
Make up bags of change
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote:
I know he got some flack for picking up Joe Williams in the 4th, but I think you guys will like him. He's blazing fast, and when he's on, he was unstoppable (given, the 4 O-lineman that were just drafted that he was running behind probably helped that a bit). He had a rough start to last year and actually stepped away for a while, but was able to turn it around and actually has a pretty amazing story. I'm rooting really, really hard for this kid to succeed, even if he is a Niner.

Breakdown of draftees by school. Utah had it's best draft class ever, with 8 being drafted (tops in the P12). The Big 12 only had 14 players total get drafted. WTF??
Ya, i'm not so sure about trading twice to pick up 2 RB's (well 1 drafted RB and one RB through a trade) we are loaded in RB's, and other areas that need filling. I think they may have doubts of Hyde staying healthy, which is a valid concern
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The best thing about Chicago's trade: they would've had the 2nd pick if they hadn't won a (not so as it turns out) meaningless game against SF in December.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:The best thing about Chicago's trade: they would've had the 2nd pick if they hadn't won a (not so as it turns out) meaningless game against SF in December. Image
Coincidentally, the announcers in the Cubs-Red Sox game last night made the point that the Cubs would have had Bendenteni (or whatever his name is) if they hadn't beaten Boston two out of three in a series the year prior.

I'm not sure if the Bears GM is completely incompetent or some kind of super genius who is operating on a level that the rest of us can't hope to comprehend. At this point I'm leaning toward the former.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

While I'm not going to pretend to be a draft expert, the Bears trade seems logically indefensible in a situation where there were (by general consensus) at least three QB prospects who are prospective franchise QBs (including Mahomes and Watson). Is Trubisky a better prospect than Watson and Mahomes? *Maybe*. Is the probability of that so high that it merits everything that Chicago gave up? Odds of that seem infinitesimal.
Black Lives Matter.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

El Guapo wrote:While I'm not going to pretend to be a draft expert, the Bears trade seems logically indefensible in a situation where there were (by general consensus) at least three QB prospects who are prospective franchise QBs (including Mahomes and Watson). Is Trubisky a better prospect than Watson and Mahomes? *Maybe*. Is the probability of that so high that it merits everything that Chicago gave up? Odds of that seem infinitesimal.
Considering that they were guaranteed to be able to draft one of those three and quite possibly the guy they wanted anyway, I have to agree that the move was not worth the draft picks paid. Of course if Trubisky ends up being a good franchise QB it will have been worth it but as history has shown many much more highly touted college QB's have been drafted high and not lived up to the hype. Far more have failed than succeeded. With 3 potential franchise QB options available, giving up those picks for a guarantee at a specific one seems like a bad bet.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It still won't have been worth it - it will just won't be condemned. It seems highly likely that Trubisky would have been available at 3, so giving up all of those picks to get nothing will never be worth it. If it comes out that another team was going to trade with the 49ers to grab Trubisky I might change my mind on that, but for now it's indefensible.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

El Guapo wrote:While I'm not going to pretend to be a draft expert, the Bears trade seems logically indefensible in a situation where there were (by general consensus) at least three QB prospects who are prospective franchise QBs (including Mahomes and Watson). Is Trubisky a better prospect than Watson and Mahomes? *Maybe*. Is the probability of that so high that it merits everything that Chicago gave up? Odds of that seem infinitesimal.
It depends completely on whether you think the draft is luck or skill. I think there's a lot more luck to it than we want to admit, and you're exactly right with your take.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote:It still won't have been worth it - it will just won't be condemned. It seems highly likely that Trubisky would have been available at 3, so giving up all of those picks to get nothing will never be worth it. If it comes out that another team was going to trade with the 49ers to grab Trubisky I might change my mind on that, but for now it's indefensible.
MMQB was embedded in the 49ers draft room. There was another team trying to trade into the #2 spot, but they didn't say who they intended to pick. The Bears didn't tell the 49ers who they were taking either.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote:It still won't have been worth it - it will just won't be condemned. It seems highly likely that Trubisky would have been available at 3, so giving up all of those picks to get nothing will never be worth it. If it comes out that another team was going to trade with the 49ers to grab Trubisky I might change my mind on that, but for now it's indefensible.
You don't think it's fortunate happenstance that The Bears were just a QB away from turning the 3-13 season into a 13-3 season? They are so rock-solid and deep at every other position -- why would they need all of those other draft picks? They would just interfere with the administration's previous draft picks ability to shine.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I heard this morning on the Dan Patrick show that it was the Browns looking to move up to 2. They were rumored to be seriously considering trying to nab the first and second picks in the draft to get Garret and Trubisky.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Only going by what I read leading up to the draft, I thought that none of these QBs was that highly regarded. So even teams that are desperate for one wouldn't waste a high pick on one. Cleveland, with the first pick, seemed to prove it by going with defense.

If I was controlling the Bears' draft day, I'm not going to believe any team is moving up to 2 just to pick a QB. It makes no sense...unless it's the Browns. Given their history in the draft, that's the one team that I could believe would pull a move like that. They also had a ton of picks to deal with too. So I believe that's what happened, they thought someone(Cleveland) was going to take that QB in a deal with the 49ers.

That only leaves the question of why the Bears like this guy so much, but there could be a lot of reasons for that. I know it would be hard for me to get over losing the player I wanted by not moving up ONE spot in the draft. If you're that close you have to make the move if you really want him, and if you really don't want him that much why were you going to draft him at 3?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The Browns make sense. The Jets were also rumored to be pretty keen on Trubisky.
Make up bags of change
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Reports are that Trubisky was shocked to be picked by the Bears, since he'd only worked out once for them and had minimal contact with them otherwise. John Fox and Mike Glennon are also rumored to be super pissed about how this went down.

In the Bears five picks, they got Trubisky (gamble QB with a huge price), an Alabama safety with injury history, and three players from Division II schools. Where is the Super Bowl being played this year? I want to get my hotel reservations early!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

ImLawBoy wrote: John Fox and Mike Glennon are also rumored to be super pissed about how this went down.
Not too surprising since John Fox has likely only one or two years to turn things around if he doesn't want to get fired. The Bears needed more draft picks, not fewer, and not a QB that will likely need a few years on the bench to develop. After all, Trubisky doesn't even know what a hard count is...
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But is Jay Cutler the most overrated football broadcaster hire ever?
[Fox Sports] is inking former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler to a broadcasting deal, according to Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo first reported Cutler's interest in leaving football for the broadcasting booth and added that Cutler would still be interested in playing if the opportunity to be the unquestioned starter came around. The former first-round pick is just 34.
Schrager noted that Cutler would be working a three-man outfit with Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis. This is by design, per Garafolo. Should a quarterback opening develop in the middle of the season, it would allow Cutler to exit broadcasting without disrupting the rhythm established by Burkhardt and Davis. Burkhardt previously worked with John Lynch, now the general manager of the San Francisco 49ers.

Garafolo received the following statement from Cutler: "I don't know if retirement is the right word; I don't feel that anyone ever really retires from the NFL. You are either forced to leave, or you lose the desire to do what's required to keep going. I'm in between those situations at this point in my life.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm not going to say he's an elite broadcaster, but he's clearly got the most raw talent of any Fox broadcaster and could end up being, by the numbers, the best broadcaster they've ever had. Keep in mind, they've employed Matt Millen, so the bar is pretty low.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote:But is Jay Cutler the most overrated football broadcaster hire ever?
[Fox Sports] is inking former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler to a broadcasting deal, according to Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo first reported Cutler's interest in leaving football for the broadcasting booth and added that Cutler would still be interested in playing if the opportunity to be the unquestioned starter came around. The former first-round pick is just 34.
Schrager noted that Cutler would be working a three-man outfit with Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis. This is by design, per Garafolo. Should a quarterback opening develop in the middle of the season, it would allow Cutler to exit broadcasting without disrupting the rhythm established by Burkhardt and Davis. Burkhardt previously worked with John Lynch, now the general manager of the San Francisco 49ers.

Garafolo received the following statement from Cutler: "I don't know if retirement is the right word; I don't feel that anyone ever really retires from the NFL. You are either forced to leave, or you lose the desire to do what's required to keep going. I'm in between those situations at this point in my life.
Ahh, so that's what happened... Cutler lost the desire to do what's required to keep going. I see.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Either that, or he lost the desire to do what's required to not be forced to leave.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jake Butt to collect on loss-of-value policy following torn ACL
Michigan tight end Jake Butt slipped into the fifth round, but he won't go without getting some money back for the fall.

The Denver Broncos selected Butt with the first pick of the fifth round at No. 145 overall, ending a slide stemming from his torn ACL in the Orange Bowl against Florida State.

Butt had taken a $2 million loss-of-value policy that he started collecting insurance on when he wasn't picked in the top half of the third round Friday night.

He first started collecting, at $10,000 a pick tax-free, in the middle of the third round, a source with knowledge of the policy with ISI told ESPN. By being passed over in the fourth round as well, Butt was set to receive $543,000 on the policy.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tom Brady's media team is really good. Here's his video addressing the Madden Cover Curse.
Isgrimnur

Re: 2017 NFL Signing Season

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://twitter.com/TeamFA/status/865539431083589634

Good luck keeping the tires inflated in cold weather.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

So far, I really like the off season the Eagles are having. The Blount signing is going to be huge for them.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Desperation, they name is Miami.

Yep, the Dolphins have signed Jay Cutler, savior of Chicago!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Who's gonna be desperate enough to take Kaepernick?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter