Super Bowl LII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Ænima

Re: 2017 NFL Week 10

Post by Ænima »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 am Panthers are back, baby!
If only we could play the Dolphins every week!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The game against New Orleans in Week 13 may be the decider of the division. Of course, I still have no faith in the Panthers to not lose a few games they should win (e.g. at Jets). Still, feels a lot better than last year!
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ænima wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:50 pm
OK, good point. Still, we looked like the team I haven't seen in a looong time. May it continue, and may the Saints lose their next two (three!) games.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:06 pm
Ænima wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:50 pm
OK, good point. Still, we looked like the team I haven't seen in a looong time. May it continue, and may the Saints lose their next two (three!) games.
Keep in mind how badly the Ravens thumped the Dolphins and that should assist in keeping things in perspective.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Jeff V

Re: 2017 NFL Week 11

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:21 am Because talk about Buffalo does not belong in an NFL playoff thread.
Black Lives Matter
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:21 am Because talk about Buffalo does not belong in an NFL playoff thread.
Until they are mathematically eliminated, there is always a chance. Believe you me, the amount of shit I got at the bar when I went: "Why are you guys putting yourselves through this again this year?" Leads me to believe Bills fans assume one day every other team will magically roll over and they somehow make the playoffs because they still have a chance.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Bills rushing yards in week 10 - 69
Streaker fan rushing yards at Bills game in week 10 - 100
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Eek, not sure how that got reposted. I was just doing the weekly thread title change.

Doing forum from phone sucks. :x
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 pm Eek, not sure how that got reposted. I was just doing the weekly thread title change.

Doing forum from phone sucks. :x
You quoted instead of edited. The thread still says Week 10. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

:doh:
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Long article on Jerry Jones vs. Goodell.

The intro -
THERE WAS A PAUSE. It was Aug. 9, inside Roger Goodell's sixth-floor office at the NFL's Park Avenue headquarters in New York City -- down the hall, past the executives' offices and his assistant's desk, and through a large, thick wooden door that is both imposing and usually left open to serve as a welcome. Goodell huddled over a speakerphone with general counsel Jeff Pash. On the other end was Jerry Jones. Adhering to the protocol of giving owners a 48-hour heads-up before a major disciplinary issue involving their team is announced, Goodell and Pash informed Jones that after a 13-month domestic violence inquiry, the Dallas Cowboys' star running back, Ezekiel Elliott, would face punishment -- a six-game suspension.

The line went quiet. Seconds passed. Goodell's decision was an unconscionable violation of trust, Jones later told associates, because he believed that the commissioner had assured him this past spring that there would be no suspension. Jones saw in Elliott a genuine opportunity, a player so good that he had made Jones believe that this year he just might win a Super Bowl for the first time since 1996. His anger was palpable. Finally, according to sources with direct knowledge of the call, Jones broke the silence. He aimed his words not only at Goodell's decision but also at his role as judge, jury and executioner in the case.

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 am Tyrod Taylor was benched for this weekend. He really shouldn't have allowed the Saints 290+ rushing yards. Clearly this will fix that issue.
Shaun King was blasting the Taylor benching on Twitter, saying that the Taylor benching is part of NFL teams' continued mistreatment of black quarterbacks.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Roger we hardly knew ye.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 am Tyrod Taylor was benched for this weekend. He really shouldn't have allowed the Saints 290+ rushing yards. Clearly this will fix that issue.
Shaun King was blasting the Taylor benching on Twitter, saying that the Taylor benching is part of NFL teams' continued mistreatment of black quarterbacks.
This is becoming a thing. While I somewhat understand the reluctance to hire Colin Kaepernick, but how is Robert Griffin III not playing for the Texans?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RGIII isn't a good NFL quarterback would be the right answer there.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Tyrod Taylor was benched for this weekend. He really shouldn't have allowed the Saints 290+ rushing yards. Clearly this will fix that issue.
I mean, he didn't make a single tackle the whole game.
Did either of you watch the last two games? There are two clear problems with the Bills right now. The defensive line is getting moved 5 yards off the ball at the snap, on virtually every running down, and Tyrod Taylor has been *horrific* as a QB.

You can't really bench the entire D-Line (although Jerel Worthy lost his job and was cut). You can take a QB that doesn't fit the offensive system at all, and replace him with a rookie who does (at least in theory, based on projected skill set). I personally wouldn't have made this move yet, but it was coming.

Over the past two games, here's your drive charts for the Tyrod Taylor-led offense (removing the garbage time stats):

Code: Select all

3 plays,  9 yards, Punt
5 plays, 31 yards, Punt
8 plays, 62 yards, TD
6 plays, 14 yards, Punt
8 plays, 44 yards, Fumble
3 plays,  1 yard,  Punt
3 plays,  4 yards, Punt
3 plays,  4 yards, Punt
4 plays, 32 yards, Fumble
5 plays,  8 yards, Fumble
4 plays,  7 yards, Downs
9 plays, 57 yards, FG
3 plays,  0 yards, Punt
5 plays, 15 yards, Punt
6 plays, 21 yards, Punt
3 plays,  9 yards, Punt
3 plays, -2 yards, INT
3 plays,  5 yards, Punt
3 plays, -6 yards, Punt
10 points scored in 19 drives. *NINE* three and outs. 12 punts. 5 turnovers.

The organization (outside of Rex Ryan) has never believed in Tyrod, because he has three fundamental flaws:
1) He cannot read the middle of the field and almost never throws there.
2) He does not throw with anticipation/timing.
3) He does not throw receivers open.

Peterman is a rookie, but his skill set fits the design of the offense. Dennison runs the Kubiak system. It's passing game is dependent on timing and rhythm, utilizing 3- and 5-step drops. Those plays have all been eliminated from the offense because Tyrod can't run them. The run blocking scheme has had to be adjusted because Tyrod has to play out of shotgun almost all of the time.

In other words, the Bills are a pretty shitty team, with more problems than just run defense. And it's ok to try to fix more than one of them at a time. Tyrod brought this on himself.

Also - the notion that this move is racist is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm Roger we hardly knew ye.
Part of me wonders how many owners would like to see Jerry Jones neutered more than they'd like to see Goodell out. Most owners haven't had any problems with the Commissioner's Office or their players being suspended for cheating or domestic violence. I presume a lot of owners dislike Jerry Jones (speculating based on the fact that he's a self-important douche).
Make up bags of change
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm RGIII isn't a good NFL quarterback would be the right answer there.
He's way better than Tom Savage, TJ Yates, and Josh Johnson.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm Also - the notion that this move is racist is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
It's not that this particular move is racist. It's the ongoing issue of white quarterbacks seem to get a lot more chances than black quarterbacks.

Maybe it's just noise, but Bryan Hoyer still has a job (48 TD, 30 int, 7.0 y/a 59.4% completion) and Robert Griffin (42 TD, 26 int, 7.4 y/a, 63% completion) does not.

David Carr (65 TD, 71 INT, 6.4 y/a, 59.7% comp) played 11 seasons. WTF.

edit: Denver is still rolling with Siemian and Osweiler.
Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:10 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm RGIII isn't a good NFL quarterback would be the right answer there.
He's way better than Tom Savage, TJ Yates, and Josh Johnson.
Way better? I didn't know a fumble prone, sack prone, injury prone QB whose last good season was his only good season and currently doesn't have an NFL job due to massive attitude problems is "way better" than those three.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Way better at what? Playing within the confines of an NFL offense as a passer? I’m not sure about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Make up bags of change
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:21 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm Also - the notion that this move is racist is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
It's not that this particular move is racist. It's the ongoing issue of white quarterbacks seem to get a lot more chances than black quarterbacks.

Maybe it's just noise, but Bryan Hoyer still has a job (48 TD, 30 int, 7.0 y/a 59.4% completion) and Robert Griffin (42 TD, 26 int, 7.4 y/a, 63% completion) does not.

Also, those stats on Griffin have to be misleading because they fold in his golden years in 2012 and 2013. Remember, he was Off. Rookie of the Year in 2012 and made the Pro Bowl in 2013 before a combination of injuries, poor coaching, bad fit and fundamental flaws derailed his career.

Over the next 14 games he played after that, he threw 6 TDs, 9 INTs, was sacked 55 times for -365 yards and fumbled 13 times (losing 5 of them).

NOT way better.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Kurth wrote:

Also, those stats on Griffin have to be misleading because they fold in his golden years in 2012 and 2013. Remember, he was Off. Rookie of the Year in 2012 and made the Pro Bowl in 2013 before a combination of injuries, poor coaching, bad fit and fundamental flaws derailed his career.

Over the next 14 games he played after that, he threw 6 TDs, 9 INTs, was sacked 55 times for -365 yards and fumbled 13 times (losing 5 of them).

NOT way better.
At least he had a career to derail.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

noxiousdog wrote:
Kurth wrote:

NOT way better.
At least he had a career to derail.

Btw, Blaine Gabbert is starting for the Cardinals today.

Black Lives Matter

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I’d start Blaine Gabbert over Kaep or RG3 too. I’m not sure what your point is? How many chances did Josh Freeman get? Five? The league was so racist that it gave how many extra chances to Michael Vick? Culpepper shredded his knee and still got three more chances.
Make up bags of change
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

KC vs NYG. Do we have a 60 point game? Do I hear 70?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

RunningMn9 wrote:I’d start Blaine Gabbert over Kaep or RG3 too.

Kap wasn’t setting the world on fire last year, but he was certainly serviceable: 16/4 TD/INT ratio and a 90+ QB rating. He also ran for almost 500 yards and 4 TDs (but fumbled way too much). You don’t think he’d be better than Gabbert who had 5/6 TD/INT ratio last year?
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kaep can only function in a specific kind of offense (which the Cardinals don’t run). It’s the same problem that Tyrod will find himself in this offseason.

Kaep also brings a PR circus. He’s not good enough to be worth it.

Make up bags of change
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Wow just got back to the house and the KC NYG game is certainly not a 60 point game! Go Giants!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

RunningMn9 wrote:I’d start Blaine Gabbert over Kaep or RG3 too. I’m not sure what your point is? How many chances did Josh Freeman get? Five? The league was so racist that it gave how many extra chances to Michael Vick? Culpepper shredded his knee and still got three more chances.
Josh Freeman is a great example. You're telling me he wasn't good enough to be a backup?

How is Gabbert still in the league, but Freeman isn't?

It's either starter or you're done.

Last edited by noxiousdog on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Are you serious? That’s what you take from the story of Josh Freeman? Five teams gave him a chance. The idea that he was somehow wronged by the NFL because of his race is ridiculous. He got five chances because he was a former first round pick. He washed out because he wasn’t good enough to play in the NFL and he had off the field issues.

That you think Freeman is example for your position is confusing.

Make up bags of change
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

RunningMn9 wrote:Are you serious? That’s what you take from the story of Josh Freeman? Five teams gave him a chance. The idea that he was somehow wronged by the NFL because of his race is ridiculous. He got five chances because he was a former first round pick. He washed out because he wasn’t good enough to play in the NFL and he had off the field issues.

That you think Freeman is example for your position is confusing.

I can't believe you think he's less qualified than Blaine Gabbert.

Black Lives Matter

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I can’t believe you don’t. And that’s not an endorsement of Blaine Gabbert.

Make up bags of change
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

And I cant believe youre arguing over the credentials of Blaine Gabbert and Josh Freeman. That's like arguing over whether you want a hot poker in the eye or up the butt!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Back to the matter at hand, I'm sure they are going to blame Taylor for not making any tackles on those 5 INTs in the first half.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Again, I don’t understand why people are incapable of understanding that a team can have more than one glaring issue. This isn’t rocket science.

Tyrod was playing poorly and forced the offense to be too restrictive. The defense blows giant whale dong. Both things are true.

Now a third thing is true: Peterman is a rookie who isn’t close to being ready.

Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Watching a team go from 5-2 to this raging dumpster fire is super fun.

The good news is that two months ago I would have lost my mind if the Bills used multiple picks to trade up to get a QB. At this point trade them all if you have to. I can’t watch this horseshit any more.

Make up bags of change
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

That last Bears kick was so Bears.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

And the last Lions kick was so Prater. That guy has won/saved so many games for the Lions. Once again, thank you Denver!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The Lions are going to get embarrassed by Minnesota Thursday if they can not figure out how to stop the run between now and then. They have been horrible on run defense and this time it was against a rookie QB with no real #1 receiver. How they hope to slow down the Vikings I don't know. :(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken