Super Bowl LII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: 2017 NFL Week 3

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote:I'll tell you what I can't figure out - how did the Broncos only open as a 1 point favorite? What did Vegas know that I don't?
Against the Raiders? Probably that the Raiders are a good team?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote:I'll tell you what I can't figure out - how did the Broncos only open as a 1 point favorite? What did Vegas know that I don't?
Against the Cowboys? Do you think they should have been favored by more?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

They opened as a 1 point favorite over the Bills. Now do you see my surprise? :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote:They opened as a 1 point favorite over the Bills. Now do you see my surprise? :)
:lol:

Yes, yes I do.

I would guess that the narrow favorite reflected some uncertainty (now removed) over future Hall of Famer "Touchdown" Trevor Semian.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote:They opened as a 1 point favorite over the Bills. Now do you see my surprise? :)
Oh. Wow. Yeah. I mean, the Bills defense is good, but that offense against the Broncos defense....
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Right, last I checked, it was still only 2.5 points - which is still ridiculous. Over a 40+ year history of watching the NFL and being aware of point spreads, I've learned that generally, when Vegas sets a line somewhere that is wildly outside of expectations, something is up, and they know some things that we don't.

I would have expected opening around a 7-point favorite, and I think DEN will easily cover. I would have said that Shady might have an easier time with Denver's D as I think that CAR's front seven is better, but then they curb-stomped Elliot. And so I'm left assuming that the Bills will get shut out.
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote:Right, last I checked, it was still only 2.5 points - which is still ridiculous. Over a 40+ year history of watching the NFL and being aware of point spreads, I've learned that generally, when Vegas sets a line somewhere that is wildly outside of expectations, something is up, and they know some things that we don't.

I would have expected opening around a 7-point favorite, and I think DEN will easily cover. I would have said that Shady might have an easier time with Denver's D as I think that CAR's front seven is better, but then they curb-stomped Elliot. And so I'm left assuming that the Bills will get shut out.
Semian would be my best guess, combined with the good Bills defense. Semian's track record out of college was (as I understand it) less than stellar, so he wasn't projected to be a star. So a Bills win isn't entirely out of the question, if the Bills defense stomps Semian and he has a horrendous game with multiple turnovers, and the Bills offense can manage at least mediocrity.

Although Semian had good first couple games, at least, so... maybe not?
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I remember learning this lesson back in Week 12 of the 1990 season. The 9-1 Bills were riding an 8-game winning streak, heading into a Monday Night game against the 5-5 Houston Oilers. The average margin of victory in those 8 wins was 19 points. At the time, I was legitimately offended that the Oilers were favored to win the game. In the previous three games, the Bills outscored their opponents 101 - 14 (including two shutouts). The underdog? Against a 0.500 opponent? How dare they not give the Bills respect?!

The Oilers went into the game as a 3-point home favorite. The Oilers won the game, 27 - 24. :)
Make up bags of change
DD*

Post by DD* »

Drink up, boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

DD* wrote:Image

Drink up, boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just happy to seemingly have a product worth watching. This makes two years in a row. OtOH, if we somehow beat Atlanta, I'll take me some of that and dream of the idea of a home playoff game and even a playoff win...

I think had Stafford not hurt his hand last year, we would have seen both the voids of a home playoff game and a playoff win fulfilled, so why not have that as an outside shot this year? Let's assume they split with GB and the Viks and sweep Chicago. 4-4 for the rest of the season gets them in. Bengals, Browns, and Saints, and then one more... :oops:
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lets play if I was the Niners coach...

Yes not a fun game to play....

We all know what Hoyer is.... A below average QB. If he doesn't show any improvement in the next two weeks, I'd bench him and put in Beardford. Our rookie QB who shown some promise in the preseason. That way we get a look on how he is. Next year's draft is heavy in QB's so now is the time to evaluate what you have now. We know what Hoyer is. He's not going to be the QB next year. Free Agent QB's price is going to skyrocket no thanks to Carr and Stafford signing the crazy contracts. So I'm not sure going for a FA QB is worth it when we have so many holes to fill in.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

naednek wrote:Lets play if I was the Niners coach...

Yes not a fun game to play....

We all know what Hoyer is.... A below average QB. If he doesn't show any improvement in the next two weeks, I'd bench him and put in Beardford. Our rookie QB who shown some promise in the preseason. That way we get a look on how he is. Next year's draft is heavy in QB's so now is the time to evaluate what you have now. We know what Hoyer is. He's not going to be the QB next year. Free Agent QB's price is going to skyrocket no thanks to Carr and Stafford signing the crazy contracts. So I'm not sure going for a FA QB is worth it when we have so many holes to fill in.
The Niners aren't going to go anywhere this year, right? And if anything they're better off losing to get a high draft pick. Given that, seems like the best course is to play Hoyer for most of the year rather than rushing the rookie. Probably play the rookie a few games towards the end of the year to get some real game experience, but otherwise focus on training him and getting him ready.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

naednek wrote:Free Agent QB's price is going to skyrocket no thanks to Carr and Stafford signing the crazy contracts.

You mean Cousins and Luck. They set the bar before a fairly large cap increase. The going rate for a QB is going to be interesting. Play a rookie contract and spread the wealth before they learn how to lead the offense? Keep a serviceable QB and take a huge hit on spreading the wealth?
naednek

Post by naednek »

LordMortis wrote:
naednek wrote:Free Agent QB's price is going to skyrocket no thanks to Carr and Stafford signing the crazy contracts.

You mean Cousins and Luck. They set the bar before a fairly large cap increase. The going rate for a QB is going to be interesting. Play a rookie contract and spread the wealth before they learn how to lead the offense? Keep a serviceable QB and take a huge hit on spreading the wealth?
I don't know about Luck, but Cousins signed a franchise tag... Those are always high. Carr and Stafford signed extensions that are so high it will dictate similar QB's salaries for years to come.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

DD* wrote:Enlarge Image

Drink up, boys!
Best drink it now. It gets more bitter as time goes on.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Thursday night's Rams-49ers game may be the toughest sell in the history of Levi's Stadium.
As of Wednesday, resale tickets were being offered on StubHub for as low as $14 to see the team host the Los Angeles Rams at 7 p.m.

That price is just cheaper than buying a pair of $7.50 pretzels through the Levi's Stadium app and comparable to the price of a beer and a hot dog at the the three-year-old arena. According to the team's seat licensing map, the cheapest original face value for any seat is $85.

Ticket sale aggregator TicketIQ listed a slightly higher minimum price from their partners at $17, still a bargain compared to all previous games at the stadium.
Still, the Thursday night game appears to be the biggest bargain in the history of the stadium, especially considering how likely the 49ers are to win. The Rams are the only opponent the team has managed to beat at home since the start of 2016 (and they've done it twice).

To put that in perspective, the band Coldplay has taken the stage as frequently at Levi's over that time period as the 49ers have won there. If the team loses Thursday, Chris Martin and company will take the lead when they host a concert on Oct. 4.
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/49 ... 215863.php

:coffee:
Moliere

Re: 2017 NFL Free Agency Season

Post by Moliere »

rshetts2 wrote:Well, it looks like people got their closure. Aaron Hernandez apparently committed suicide in his cell yesterday. http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aaron- ... z-suicide/
Advanced stages of CTE found in Aaron Hernandez's brain
Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez had a severe case of the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, researchers said on Thursday. His lawyer announced a lawsuit against the NFL and the team for hiding the true dangers of the sport.

Dr. Ann McKee, the director of the CTE Center at Boston University, said Hernandez had stage 3 (out of 4) of the disease, which can cause violent mood swings, depression and other cognitive disorders.

"We're told it was the most severe case they had ever seen for someone of Aaron's age," attorney Jose Baez said.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
naednek

Post by naednek »

Offensive Pass Interference my ass. But I'm ok with that loss. Niners stuck with it. They just need to stop making the mistakes.

That was a fun exciting game. People should stop listening to these analysts.... It was classic football.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

naednek wrote:Offensive Pass Interference my ass.
I wish they had shown another angle on the broadcast. It didn't look like much on the one replay they showed, but you could only see the back of the defender.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

NFL Films and Katie Nolan followed 17 Hall of Famers to Israel. Includes Joe Montana, Cris Carter, Aeneas Williams, and Jim Brown.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I wonder how the game would have gone if the Ravens' starters had been able to make the trip to London. I can only assume the guys I'm watching were picked up off the streets and are still learning the game.

That last Flacco INT (his second) was just poor all around.
stessier

Post by stessier »

And a great fake punt by JAC! The Ravens are getting embarassed.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Like I said, sometimes Vegas knows something. I’m posting this while it’s still 10-10. I’m still expecting DEN to cruise. Bills refuse to cover Emmanuel Sanders
Make up bags of change
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The end of the half in Chicago is bonkers.

How is it not a safety?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Houston's front four are GOOD. Their secondary is a bit handsy.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

msteelers wrote:The end of the half in Chicago is bonkers.

How is it not a safety?
Because the Pitt dude batted the ball out of the end zone. That's a penalty.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:

How is it not a safety?
Because the Pitt dude batted the ball out of the end zone. That's a penalty.
Yeah, I wasn't taking into account that the Steelers at that point were on defense. I thought they were still considered to be on offense.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

How is it not a safety?
A bigger question is why is that Bears player still in uniform? Stopping 5 yards short of the goal line should be a career-ending ploy.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Love that QB play of the Broncos!!! :wink:

And I'm rooting for the Lions for you guys who are fans, I like comeback kids!
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

wrong forum
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

RunningMn9 wrote:Like I said, sometimes Vegas knows something. I’m posting this while it’s still 10-10. I’m still expecting DEN to cruise. Bills refuse to cover Emmanuel Sanders
Vegas knows all!
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lorini wrote:And I'm rooting for the Lions for you guys who are fans, I like comeback kids!
:(
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Detroit just got screwed.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

One of my minions was in Vegas a few days ago. He told us he put some money on the Bears (+7 vs Pittsburgh). We had a good laugh over it.

I just texted him to ask how much he won. :oops:
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Oh Lions. :)
Make up bags of change
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Seriously, that was a ref fuck up of epic proportions. 1) I can't see how they could reverse the call and call him down and 2) then running off 10 seconds to end the game? I know that's the rule but it's complete crap. If the refs had just called it down to begin with, Detroit could have gotten in another play.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The day started with players protesting on the field. In Detroit it should've ended that way.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I feel the refs screwed up by missing a few holding calls on the Bears final drive. But I take some comfort in knowing the Lions were absolutely robbed of a win. The TD looked good to me (only saw the replay once though), and that rule is just cruel.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Seriously, that was a ref fuck up of epic proportions. 1) I can't see how they could reverse the call and call him down and 2) then running off 10 seconds to end the game? I know that's the rule but it's complete crap. If the refs had just called it down to begin with, Detroit could have gotten in another play.
It’s not complete crap. It’s just the rules, because if he is down by contact, the clock would have been running. With 8 seconds, if the clock was running it’s unlikely they get lined up for another play. Not impossible, but unlikely.

That said, I saw his knee down with ball at half yard line - where was the contact though? I didn’t see anyone touch him on the angle I saw.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Also, the 15yd unsportsmanlike conduct on Von Miller. That’s the most embarrassing penalty I’ve ever seen, and it cost them the game.
Make up bags of change