Super Bowl LII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: 2017 NFL Week 4

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote:What happened in the Packers game to cause a player to be taken to the hospital? I missed the game.
This is the hit in real time.

This is the slow-mo replay.

I find it tough to watch the second one.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

When we saw it live last night, it was on an 80-inch TV. It felt like we were watching a snuff film. Leading with the crown of your helmet is such a shitty move by the LB. I'm surprised no one sought vengeance on him for that hit.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Remus West wrote:I haven't checked but multiple people here have been saying that if they checked the clock at the time they rule Tate down there would have been 11 seconds left.
That's virtually impossible. The ball was snapped with 12 seconds on the clock. The play took more than 1 second.
Make up bags of change
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think there was 10 seconds on the clock when Tate was down (after review). The refs put eight seconds on the clock before the run-off, but it wouldn't have mattered if they had put the correct 10 seconds on there.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Remus West wrote:I haven't checked but multiple people here have been saying that if they checked the clock at the time they rule Tate down there would have been 11 seconds left.
That's virtually impossible. The ball was snapped with 12 seconds on the clock. The play took more than 1 second.
I refuse to check but will take solace in your response. :lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

stessier wrote:
Lorini wrote:What happened in the Packers game to cause a player to be taken to the hospital? I missed the game.
This is the hit in real time.

This is the slow-mo replay.

I find it tough to watch the second one.
That hit was just this side of criminal. I felt just like RM9 described: Dirty just for watching it.

Can anyone explain why Trevathan wasn't immediately ejected? And now is when the NFL needs to seriously think about the message it's sending. IF Trevathan isn't suspended for significant time (like 4 games, minimum), there's no way in my mind the league can continue to pay lip service to the notion that it takes player safety - especially head injuries - seriously.

Protests. Domestic abuse. Drugs and other off-field issues. Player compensation. Teams moving.

All important issues, but all pale in comparison to the need for the league to address the fact that it's putting out a product today that forces its fans to watch their favorite players get grievously and irreparably maimed on a regular basis.

I can't imagine fall weekends without the NFL, but I also can't continue to watch snuff like the Trevathan hit on Adams last night.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NFL reviewing Danny Trevathan hit for possible suspension
When referee John Hussey was asked why Bears linebacker Danny Trevathan was not ejected for using the crown of his helmet to hit Packers wide receiver Davante Adams in the helmet when Adams’ forward progress had been stopped, Hussey said that he “didn’t have enough information” from his perspective to judge if the hit was “egregious” enough to warrant an ejection.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote:NFL reviewing Danny Trevathan hit for possible suspension
When referee John Hussey was asked why Bears linebacker Danny Trevathan was not ejected for using the crown of his helmet to hit Packers wide receiver Davante Adams in the helmet when Adams’ forward progress had been stopped, Hussey said that he “didn’t have enough information” from his perspective to judge if the hit was “egregious” enough to warrant an ejection.
Yeah, from the Real Time footage it looks bad (clearly hit in the head) but not as devastating as the reverse angle proves it to be. So I could see the Ref having an issue depending on where he was when it happened (and it looked like he was trailing the play with a similar angle to the live camera shot).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

As a Bears fan, I have no issues with Trevathan getting a lengthy suspension and a large fine. That was difficult to watch.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The media coverage of this alone essentially guarantees a suspension. I'd be surprised if it wasn't for multiple games.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Suspension looks likely but I have seen some analysis that indicates that the efforts the NFL has made has definitely reduced the frequency of these bullshit hits. They probably can’t eliminate them but they are getting more rare (awareness of them might be going up so maybe it can seem like it’s more often when it’s not?).
Make up bags of change
Rip

Post by Rip »

Hey Jay Cutler.

:clap:
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Apologies to any Falcons fans - that fumble return for a TD by the Bills defense was total bullshit. That was an incomplete pass and it wasn’t close. I don’t understand how that held up on review.
Make up bags of change
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LOL Dallas.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Hey Pats fans - how’s that Gilmore working out? :)
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote:Hey Pats fans - how’s that Gilmore working out? :)
Yeah. Was the book on him that he was educationally challenged? There were three plays where it looked like he had no idea what the defense was - 2 of which led to TDs. And the penalties - I actually think that neither was a penalty, but he put himself in a position to allow the refs to call it and they did, so that's on him. They had stopped the Panthers on the Panthers 10! The Pats were going to get the ball back with just over 2 minutes left!! And he somehow had his hands slide up the guy to his face (no good camera angle) on a meaningless route!!! Just brutal.

If it were anyone else, I'd bet he wouldn't be starting on Thursday, but Rowe went out with what looked like a bad groin injury and Jones isn't a #2 yet. The Pats have scored 27, 36, 33, and 30 points and are 2-2. That's crazy.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

As I mentioned when you guys signed him, he has a tendency to be horrendous in early in the season. Every year. Even when the defense doesn’t change.

I don’t know why. But by the end of the season he plays like a top CB, so I’m sure he’ll still win you a goddamn super bowl.
Make up bags of change
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

/goes into phone booth with Giants jersey on... spins around... comes out with Bills jersey on

GO BILLS!
18-1™ & 2-0
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Trent Steel wrote:/goes into phone booth with Giants jersey on... spins around... comes out with Bills jersey on

GO BILLS!
Haha. Apparently the key was getting rid of cursed Sammy Watkins.

Also, I noticed that the Bills tried to help the Falcons out on that last fourth down play by only putting 10 defenders on the field. There were a few other coaching mistakes in the game, but it’s hard to argue the impact of McDermott on this team.
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote:As I mentioned when you guys signed him, he has a tendency to be horrendous in early in the season. Every year. Even when the defense doesn’t change.

I don’t know why. But by the end of the season he plays like a top CB, so I’m sure he’ll still win you a goddamn super bowl.

I don't know that he's going to get the chance to make it to the second half of the season. They had him off the field to start the second half and only put him back in because Rowe promptly got the aforementioned groin injury. He was just sooo bad.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Trent Steel wrote:/goes into phone booth with Giants jersey on... spins around... comes out with Bills jersey on

GO BILLS!
Haha. Apparently the key was getting rid of cursed Sammy Watkins.

Also, I noticed that the Bills tried to help the Falcons out on that last fourth down play by only putting 10 defenders on the field. There were a few other coaching mistakes in the game, but it’s hard to argue the impact of McDermott on this team.
Apparently all you have to do is guarantee 100% that the Bills will lose in order to get a win! Can I borrow some of that mojo for the Lions?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

$40M guaranteed says that he’s going to get the chance. He can’t be cut or traded, and the idea that he would make that kind of bank sitting on the bench? Unlikely (for any other team anyway).
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

rshetts2 wrote:Apparently all you have to do is guarantee 100% that the Bills will lose in order to get a win! Can I borrow some of that mojo for the Lions?
The key is that you have to believe it. I got ejected from my survivor pool after getting strikes in back-to-back weeks. I selected DEN last week and ATL this week. I didn’t do it to give the reverse jinx, I did it because I didn’t see any way the Bills could beat the Broncos at home or the Falcons on the road.

This week, I expect them to beat the Bengals, so they will lose.
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
If it were anyone else, I'd bet he wouldn't be starting on Thursday, but Rowe went out with what looked like a bad groin injury and Jones isn't a #2 yet. The Pats have scored 27, 36, 33, and 30 points and are 2-2. That's crazy.
And on top of that, they're one Brady last-minute pass away from being 1-3.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:
stessier wrote:
And on top of that, they're one Brady last-minute pass away from being 1-3.
Good point. And they had to go on fourth down twice during that last scoring drive against the Panthers to score. And Brady has gotten sacked 13 times and gotten hit 26. There's a lot of bad stuff going on. Amazingly, relying on a 40 year old quarterback is on the good side of the ledger. With the exception of the KC game, he's been amazing (and even against KC he wasn't bad - just rushed and hit....repeatedly).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Dolphins have scored a total of 6 points in their last two games against the Jets and the Saints (!!!). We all know he is worthy of the Hall of Fame from his glorious years with the Bears, but Cutler has been terrible this season. The fact that Miami hasn't even flown Kaepernick in for a workout is beyond ridiculous.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:The Dolphins have scored a total of 6 points in their last two games against the Jets and the Saints (!!!). We all know he is worthy of the Hall of Fame from his glorious years with the Bears, but Cutler has been terrible this season. The fact that Miami hasn't even flown Kaepernick in for a workout is beyond ridiculous.
But good enough to beat the Chargers :(
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Re: 2017 NFL Week 5

Post by noxiousdog »

From Football Outsiders Quick Reads
Ordinarily in this space I give you, the reader, some granular data about each quarterback and his performance in that weekend's game. Today, I would like to discuss Brady in the big-picture sense. Going into Monday Night Football, Brady led the league with 555 passing DYAR, 140 more than the next-highest passer (Jared Goff). He's completing 67 percent of his passes for 9.0 yards per throw, with 10 touchdowns. There is another quarterback, though, who is completing 70 percent of his passes, for 9.4 yards per throw, with 11 touchdowns. That quarterback is named Whoever Is Facing The Patriots Defense. I mean, think about this: Brady has put up the best individual stats of any quarterback this season, but it's barely enough to keep up with the mistakes his own defense is making when he's on the sidelines. If that doesn't tell you what a mess the New England defense has been this year, I don't know what will.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jerry Rice apparently crashes about one wedding per week.

My favorite line:
“The best was when my mother-in-law was kissing Jerry Rice,” Restani said. “My husband went over to his dad and said, ‘Dad, mom is kissing Jerry Rice,’ and his dad just nodded and said ‘It’s OK.’”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote:From Football Outsiders Quick Reads
Ordinarily in this space I give you, the reader, some granular data about each quarterback and his performance in that weekend's game. Today, I would like to discuss Brady in the big-picture sense. Going into Monday Night Football, Brady led the league with 555 passing DYAR, 140 more than the next-highest passer (Jared Goff). He's completing 67 percent of his passes for 9.0 yards per throw, with 10 touchdowns. There is another quarterback, though, who is completing 70 percent of his passes, for 9.4 yards per throw, with 11 touchdowns. That quarterback is named Whoever Is Facing The Patriots Defense. I mean, think about this: Brady has put up the best individual stats of any quarterback this season, but it's barely enough to keep up with the mistakes his own defense is making when he's on the sidelines. If that doesn't tell you what a mess the New England defense has been this year, I don't know what will.
I have seen a lot of pieces like this, but I still haven't seen much of an answer on *why* the Patriots defense has been so historically bad thus far this season.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:The Dolphins have scored a total of 6 points in their last two games against the Jets and the Saints (!!!). We all know he is worthy of the Hall of Fame from his glorious years with the Bears, but Cutler has been terrible this season. The fact that Miami hasn't even flown Kaepernick in for a workout is beyond ridiculous.
Even more ridiculous: the Titans tried out Brandon Weeden, Matt Barkley, Matt McGloin, and T.J. Yates to backup Matt Cassel while Mariota is out. There is no possible football justification that Kaepernick, who would fit well with the offensive scheme the Titans use, was not invited for the try-out. Hopefully teams will at least stop pretending they haven't brought him in due to football rather than political reasons.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:
I have seen a lot of pieces like this, but I still haven't seen much of an answer on *why* the Patriots defense has been so historically bad thus far this season.
General feeling is that communication between the Safeties and DBs has been poor. Jerod Mayo was on this Quick Slants talking about the situation. Only 32 minutes.

Really, though, only the guys in those meetings know for sure.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
General feeling is that communication between the Safeties and DBs has been poor. Jerod Mayo was on this Quick Slants talking about the situation. Only 32 minutes.

But Patricia's good at his job, right? It's weird that it's suddenly become so catastrophic.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Even more ridiculous: the Titans tried out Brandon Weeden, Matt Barkley, Matt McGloin, and T.J. Yates to backup Matt Cassel while Mariota is out. There is no possible football justification that Kaepernick, who would fit well with the offensive scheme the Titans use, was not invited for the try-out. Hopefully teams will at least stop pretending they haven't brought him in due to football rather than political reasons.
It's ridiculous that Vick was welcomed back but Kap isn't. He isn't a good QB, but neither are the other names you listed, and at least Kap has had success before. There's no doubt in my mind he would have at least been worked out multiple times by now.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:
stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

But Patricia's good at his job, right? It's weird that it's suddenly become so catastrophic.
That's what Mayo was saying - these are the same guys we hailed as geniuses during DYJ-2 - it's not like they suddenly forgot how to coach. The players are responsible for a lot of it, he says, so I don't know. RM9 will tell us it will be fine come November. Of course, we'll be totally out of the running by then, so that doesn't really help.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

msteelers wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
It's ridiculous that Vick was welcomed back but Kap isn't. He isn't a good QB, but neither are the other names you listed, and at least Kap has had success before. There's no doubt in my mind he would have at least been worked out multiple times by now.
He wasn't great last year, but he still had 16 TDs and only 4 INTs in 12 games. That's pretty impressive, especially considering how shitty the 49ers offense was/is. That's certainly better than at least a handful of current starting QBs.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

msteelers wrote: It's ridiculous that Vick was welcomed back but Kap isn't. He isn't a good QB, but neither are the other names you listed, and at least Kap has had success before. There's no doubt in my mind he would have at least been worked out multiple times by now.
It's because Vick was a good starter, and Kap is just a backup. I also think it's a bit silly depending on the situation. Tennessee or Houston would be a good spot. Anything where you need a scrambler to mimic your starter if your current backup is just a guy. I don't think it's a big deal that pure pocket passing teams wouldn't want the headache that would go with him.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

noxiousdog wrote:
msteelers wrote: It's ridiculous that Vick was welcomed back but Kap isn't. He isn't a good QB, but neither are the other names you listed, and at least Kap has had success before. There's no doubt in my mind he would have at least been worked out multiple times by now.
It's because Vick was a good starter, and Kap is just a backup. I also think it's a bit silly depending on the situation. Tennessee or Houston would be a good spot. Anything where you need a scrambler to mimic your starter if your current backup is just a guy. I don't think it's a big deal that pure pocket passing teams wouldn't want the headache that would go with him.
Tennessee, Houston, Seattle, Buffalo, Carolina. Other than Carolina who has a weird love affair with Derek Anderson, they all should have had Kap on their shortlist for backups. I understand Tennessee not bringing Kap in mid-season when Weeden is already familiar with the offense, but the rest of them?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Kelric wrote: Tennessee, Houston, Seattle, Buffalo, Carolina. Other than Carolina who has a weird love affair with Derek Anderson, they all should have had Kap on their shortlist for backups. I understand Tennessee not bringing Kap in mid-season when Weeden is already familiar with the offense, but the rest of them?
Weeden can't be that familiar. He was only signed after being cut by the Texans at the end of training camp.
Black Lives Matter