Super Bowl LII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: 2017 NFL Week 1

Post by stessier »

There are a bunch of people stopping by my cube to rub in the result but they aren't big NFL fans (college football is much bigger here) and didn't watch the game. I tell them that it is fake news being spread by fake media and they are confused enough that they actually run back to their desks to google the result. This is surprisingly entertaining.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
naednek

Post by naednek »

Well, Alex Smith actually looked like a QB.

And yay for me for picking up Hunt!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:The Bills play the Jets this weekend and MIA is off. So on Monday, either the Bills or Jets will be in first place in the division. Wonder if there was a prop bet for that.
It will be the Bills. The Jets' GM would probably start shooting his players in the kneecaps if he needs to in order to keep them from winning this season.
Black Lives Matter.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

What happens more this season? The Pats lose games, or the Bills / Jets win game? (Not combined, just individually)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

naednek wrote:Well, Alex Smith actually looked like a QB.

And yay for me for picking up Hunt!
Someone I'm going up against in one of my leagues has Hunt and Hill. I'm getting creamed already.

Of course, I also left Gillislee on my bench in my other league. :doh:
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote:Can we put the fantasy talk into a fantasy thread?
Given how entwined fantasy football is with the NFL these days, I think there's going to naturally be some fantasy talk in this thread, even with a dedicated fantasy thread.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

pr0ner wrote:
Given how entwined fantasy football is with the NFL these days, I think there's going to naturally be some fantasy talk in this thread, even with a dedicated fantasy thread.
There will be, but posts specifically asking for fantasy advice (which is what Lorini was responding to) are probably better suited to the fantasy thread.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
There will be, but posts specifically asking for fantasy advice (which is what Lorini was responding to) are probably better suited to the fantasy thread.
I 100% agree with that one.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Yeah, I'm not going to gloat over my last minute switch to get Hunt in as my flex late in the afternoon in some other thread. :)

Haven't watched the game yet (was out last night at Roger Waters concert), so I can't speak about what went wrong for the Pats. I'm assuming Hightower going out didn't help?

I did see the All-22 camera angle of the Tyreek Hill TD. Oof. That Safety fuct up big time. But a little piece of me enjoys that the shot of Hill running down the field includes a jogging Stephon Gilmore behind him. ;)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

At least we don't have to put up with that "undefeated season" nonsense that was be spouted during the pregame.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jeff V wrote:At least we don't have to put up with that "undefeated season" nonsense that was be spouted during the pregame.
Enlarge Image
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote: Haven't watched the game yet (was out last night at Roger Waters concert), so I can't speak about what went wrong for the Pats. I'm assuming Hightower going out didn't help?
It didn't help, but it's not like Smith and the Chiefs were incapable of moving the ball when Hightower was playing. Hightower can't prevent the secondary from badly blowing coverages.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I did take special joy in one of the Bills defensive players, after seeing the Tyreek Hill TD with Gilmore appearing to get burned (it was the Safety), tweeted out something to the effect of "At least we got to see Gilmore on national tv!".

Sweet, sweet burn. :)
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

naednek wrote:
Jeff V wrote:At least we don't have to put up with that "undefeated season" nonsense that was be spouted during the pregame.
Enlarge Image
The Chargers finishing ahead of the Chiefs and the Broncos is probably even more laughable.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It certainly looked like Brady was missing Edelman last night, especially in the 2nd half. He got caught with the pocket closing and no outlet valve.

Of course, last night was more about the failure of the Pat's defense (which I started in one league. Oops.) than a failure of their offense.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I got season tickets this year for the Broncos.

Good news with that? Some awesome home games including Cowboys, Giants, Chiefs, Raiders, Patriots.

Bad news? Not sure how many of those we win. I think the defense gives us a chance on most nights, but no idea how our offense will produce.

Broncos might go 10-6 or 6-10. Neither would surprise me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:It certainly looked like Brady was missing Edelman last night, especially in the 2nd half. He got caught with the pocket closing and no outlet valve.
We must have been watching different games. Brady had all night to throw. It was kind of stunning at times just how long he had. That being said, he missed Edleman - especially after Amendola went out and our third WR was a guy who joined the team 5 days ago. I also think Gronk got hurt in the first quarter when he dove for the touchdown that he just missed pulling in.
Of course, last night was more about the failure of the Pat's defense (which I started in one league. Oops.) than a failure of their offense.
There is a lot of work to be done on both sides. From play calling, to execution on offense (2 shots at 4th and 1 and no conversions?) - there is plenty of blame to go around.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Maybe it was more that his other guys weren't getting open like Edelman always seemed to do. But Brady definitely seemed to have less time to throw in the second half than in the first; I remember one play in the first when he literally had 10+ seconds with no one near him.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote:I did take special joy in one of the Bills defensive players, after seeing the Tyreek Hill TD with Gilmore appearing to get burned (it was the Safety), tweeted out something to the effect of "At least we got to see Gilmore on national tv!".

It's funny because there's no other way that one would see a Bills player on national TV.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote:It's funny because there's no other way that one would see a Bills player on national TV.
No, see, it's funny because Gilmore made a douche comment about never getting to be on national TV before (even though he was on national TV every year), but he seemed to not understand that he was part of the reason that the team wasn't featured on national TV more. Him getting burned for long receptions and him committing quite a few pass interference penalties is one of the (admittedly many) reasons that his team wasn't good enough to be featured on national TV as much as he wanted. Maybe if he paid more attention to doing his job (same goes for his teammates), national exposure wouldn't have been such a problem?

That his first appearance on national TV with his new team was him running after the WR he just turned loose, while watching him score an 80-yard TD, well, that was satisfying, no matter how you try to defend him by taking a swipe at my shitty team. ;)

That it came from a teammate, well, that tells you a little about how his teammates felt about him doing his job here. Good luck with Gilmore. I personally liked him, and thought better of him than much of the fan base, but even I wouldn't have been able to stomach my team paying him that much money. I just thought it was a sweet twitter burn.
Make up bags of change
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:It certainly looked like Brady was missing Edelman last night, especially in the 2nd half. He got caught with the pocket closing and no outlet valve.
We must have been watching different games. Brady had all night to throw. It was kind of stunning at times just how long he had. That being said, he missed Edleman - especially after Amendola went out and our third WR was a guy who joined the team 5 days ago. I also think Gronk got hurt in the first quarter when he dove for the touchdown that he just missed pulling in.
There is a lot of work to be done on both sides. From play calling, to execution on offense (2 shots at 4th and 1 and no conversions?) - there is plenty of blame to go around.
Yeah Amendola was playing well, but he's just too fragile for those drag /underneath routes.

On the other side, the Chiefs were playing really fast despite only rushing 3 a lot of the time. And that offense looked great at times with speed. It's weird, as they've had fast players before, but Hill and Hunt just looked so much faster in that game.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:It's funny because there's no other way that one would see a Bills player on national TV.
No, see, it's funny because Gilmore made a douche comment about never getting to be on national TV before (even though he was on national TV every year), but he seemed to not understand that he was part of the reason that the team wasn't featured on national TV more. Him getting burned for long receptions and him committing quite a few pass interference penalties is one of the (admittedly many) reasons that his team wasn't good enough to be featured on national TV as much as he wanted. Maybe if he paid more attention to doing his job (same goes for his teammates), national exposure wouldn't have been such a problem?

That his first appearance on national TV with his new team was him running after the WR he just turned loose, while watching him score an 80-yard TD, well, that was satisfying, no matter how you try to defend him by taking a swipe at my shitty team. ;)

That it came from a teammate, well, that tells you a little about how his teammates felt about him doing his job here. Good luck with Gilmore. I personally liked him, and thought better of him than much of the fan base, but even I wouldn't have been able to stomach my team paying him that much money. I just thought it was a sweet twitter burn.
Ah, knowing that Gilmore was complaining about not being on national TV makes more sense. I was just amused that the Bills teammate was making that joke, when part of the joke (in addition to Gilmore getting burned for a long TV on national TV) was that you don't get to play on national TV when with the Bills. So that the burn had a bit of a self-burn in it too. :)

But yeah, neither he nor Kyle Van Noy really shone in their Patriots debuts. :(
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:But yeah, neither he nor Kyle Van Noy really shone in their Patriots debuts. :(
Van Noy was on the team last year and got a ring. He also got a 2 year contract extension on Friday...which was greatly surprising to me based on what happened Thursday night.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:But yeah, neither he nor Kyle Van Noy really shone in their Patriots debuts. :(
Van Noy was on the team last year and got a ring. He also got a 2 year contract extension on Friday...which was greatly surprising to me based on what happened Thursday night.
Oh right. On FB yesterday I saw a bunch of Lions fans reminiscing about Van Noy being bad, just like Bills fans and Gilmore, so I guess I wound up grouping them together mentally.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I wouldn't say that Gilmore is bad. At times I think he's exceptional. At other times you wonder how he made it to the NFL. He's just been a bit frustrating, that's all. There's much more of the former though so I don't expect you to be disappointed.

He and Darby were mostly miserable last year though.
Make up bags of change
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

RunningMn9 wrote:I wouldn't say that Gilmore is bad. At times I think he's exceptional. At other times you wonder how he made it to the NFL. He's just been a bit frustrating, that's all. There's much more of the former though so I don't expect you to be disappointed.

Just fyi, Eagles fans around here think Darby is going to solve all their cornerback issues...apparently he's going to play both positions at the same time.
Stupid & lazy
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Eightball wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:I wouldn't say that Gilmore is bad. At times I think he's exceptional. At other times you wonder how he made it to the NFL. He's just been a bit frustrating, that's all. There's much more of the former though so I don't expect you to be disappointed.

Just fyi, Eagles fans around here think Darby is going to solve all their cornerback issues...apparently he's going to play both positions at the same time.
It's all relative. When your CBs are total shite, Darby looks like a world-beater!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Eightball wrote:Just fyi, Eagles fans around here think Darby is going to solve all their cornerback issues...apparently he's going to play both positions at the same time.
I work with some Eagles fans and they apparently think that last season didn't happen. They keep going back to 2015 when PFF had Darby and Gilmore both in the Top 5 rated CBs in the NFL.

Last year was a totally different story. Darby was trash last year. I was still shocked that they traded him, although he's a pure man cover corner and McDermott's defense needs zone corners. So I guess I get it.
Make up bags of change
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Eightball wrote:Just fyi, Eagles fans around here think Darby is going to solve all their cornerback issues...apparently he's going to play both positions at the same time.
I work with some Eagles fans and they apparently think that last season didn't happen. They keep going back to 2015 when PFF had Darby and Gilmore both in the Top 5 rated CBs in the NFL.

Last year was a totally different story. Darby was trash last year. I was still shocked that they traded him, although he's a pure man cover corner and McDermott's defense needs zone corners. So I guess I get it.
You just wait until next year when Darby and Sidney Jones prove to be an elite corner tandem in the NFL for my team. Elite, I tell you, elite!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It's certainly possible that Darby can be elite. It looked like that was where he was headed after his rookie deal. But then last year happened.
Make up bags of change
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Unfortunately for Darby, he's going to have a tough time proving that he's elite with the ankle he just dislocated.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Also, Carson Palmer is terrible.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bummer, down goes Darby.
And this in, the Rams chose the wrong quarterback.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Another news flash: the Texans are terrible.
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

I *told* RM9 Cousins was not to be trusted.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'm not positive, but I think my picks were terrible this week.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Unfortunately for Darby, he's going to have a tough time proving that he's elite with the ankle he just dislocated.
That was gross.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

geezer wrote:I *told* RM9 Cousins was not to be trusted.
I've been told he's an elite QB. :)
Make up bags of change
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

RunningMn9 wrote:I did take special joy in one of the Bills defensive players, after seeing the Tyreek Hill TD with Gilmore appearing to get burned (it was the Safety), tweeted out something to the effect of "At least we got to see Gilmore on national tv!".

Gilmore lost him at the 40 and then admired his speed for the last sixty yards. It was ugly. I'm guessing that the Pats thought he gave up last year or was hurt by bad play calling, otherwise how do you justify that contract for a guy who dropped from like 5th to 65th in the PFF rankings? Obviously the Pats don't use those to scout their guys, but their rankings pass almost everyone's basic eye tests.
stessier wrote:
I was wondering for most of the night where were James White and Dion Lewis on passes out of the backfield? Easy targets, quick releases, get the ball to the guys who can make a move.