Super Bowl LII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: 2017 NFL Wild Card

Post by Jaymann »

The Falcons showed why they made it to the big show last year, with poise and experience. I am still not a believer, but they have a chance.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

They’ve got what should be a fairly manageable game against the Eagles, and then probably on to Minnesota. That will be a test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RunningMn9 wrote:They’ve got what should be a fairly manageable game against the Eagles, and then probably on to Minnesota. That will be a test.

How's the Eagles rush defense this year? The Rams was pretty terrible and that was the difference in the game (plus the two early special teams turnovers by the Rams when their defense hadn't broken down).

Side note, I took a nap after the first half of the Chiefs-Titans game. Boy was I surprised when I woke up and saw the highlights!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

This is probably the last time I’ll be allowed to post in here, so Godspeed to the rest of you.

Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There’s still probably 8-10 more punts before we have to pack it in.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:44 pm This is probably the last time I’ll be allowed to post in here, so Godspeed to the rest of you.

But hey, it only took a year but they invalidated the very premise of this thread (see post one, page one).
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

At least I’ve got that going for me.

Make up bags of change
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm hoping that works for the Bears next year.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So you want to be an NFL quarterback. How about 4th and 3 with a buck 17 left...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Oof. That was a bad turn of events for Tyrod. And of course Peterman immediately throws a pick.

Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

That pick wasn't Peterman's fault. It was a really good defensive play.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What trickery is this? A forward pass?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

2017 NFL Wild Card

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:That pick wasn't Peterman's fault. It was a really good defensive play.
That pick was 100% Peterman’s fault. You can’t float a pass on an out route, which is exactly what he did. That will get intercepted almost every time. That ball took forever to get there.

Edit: it was a really good defensive play, but Peterman has to either not throw that, not put it on the inside shoulder, or throw it like he means it so the DB can’t recover in time.
Make up bags of change
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Blake Bortles, playoff game winner. Not since the days of Tim Tebow have I been so...I don't even know how to describe it. It's why they play the game I suppose. Anything is possible. He just wins PT 2.

Carolina did make it exciting at the end, I'll give them that. I can't help but wonder if Newton regrets not diving for the ball back when he was in the Super Bowl. You have to seize your opportunities when they present themselves, waiting for better ones is risky since there might never be a better one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RunningMn9 wrote:
stessier wrote:That pick wasn't Peterman's fault. It was a really good defensive play.
That pick was 100% Peterman’s fault. You can’t float a pass on an out route, which is exactly what he did. That will get intercepted almost every time. That ball took forever to get there.

Edit: it was a really good defensive play, but Peterman has to either not throw that, not put it on the inside shoulder, or throw it like he means it so the DB can’t recover in time.
I don’t get the feeling that he’s had a lot of experience in playing with those wind conditions.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

With all the injuries you can definitely see the advantage of a first round bye. Looks like Steelers at Foxboro is inevitable.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That’s not a “wind conditions” mistake. That’s a rookie mistake, not realizing that you cannot make that throw to the sidelines without putting some mustard on it (which helps cut through the wind). It’s the same mistake he made on his last pick in the Chargers game.
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:16 pm Blake Bortles, playoff game winner. Not since the days of Tim Tebow have I been so...I don't even know how to describe it. It's why they play the game I suppose. Anything is possible. He just wins PT 2.

Carolina did make it exciting at the end, I'll give them that. I can't help but wonder if Newton regrets not diving for the ball back when he was in the Super Bowl. You have to seize your opportunities when they present themselves, waiting for better ones is risky since there might never be a better one.
I will say, not since the Patriots got to play Tebow in the playoffs have I been as excited about a playoff matchup as Patriots - Titans. Should be a fun game to watch.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 pm
gameoverman wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:16 pm Blake Bortles, playoff game winner. Not since the days of Tim Tebow have I been so...I don't even know how to describe it. It's why they play the game I suppose. Anything is possible. He just wins PT 2.

I will say, not since the Patriots got to play Tebow in the playoffs have I been as excited about a playoff matchup as Patriots - Titans. Should be a fun game to watch.
Mularkey got his contract extension, so he is playing with house money. Literally.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The Patriots are in a superior position but I think Mariota is the kind of quarterback that can surprise them. They can't prepare for him the way they would for a conventional QB and any guy who can throw a touchdown pass to himself in a playoff game clearly has some powerful mojo on his side.
naednek

Re: 2017 NFL Conference Semi-Finals

Post by naednek »

In the Bills vs Jax game, the decision to throw at the 1 yard line before the half ended was incredibly stupid. Got called for a holding call (If I remember correctly).
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
stessier

Post by stessier »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:56 pm In the Bills vs Jax game, the decision to throw at the 1 yard line before the half ended was incredibly stupid. Got called for a holding call (If I remember correctly).
No, it was OPI. Good play call otherwise.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I agree that it was a terrible call to pass. 1st and goal on the one against a team whose main defensive weakness is the run? Run the ball twice and throw on third down if needed.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As a Patriots fan, I could not be more supportive of teams deciding to throw at the 1 yard line.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:00 pm I agree that it was a terrible call to pass. 1st and goal on the one against a team whose main defensive weakness is the run? Run the ball twice and throw on third down if needed.
exactly.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:56 pm In the Bills vs Jax game, the decision to throw at the 1 yard line before the half ended was incredibly stupid. Got called for a holding call (If I remember correctly).
Benjamin got called for OPI for Gronking Jalen Ramsey.

The play call was a run, but it gave Tyrod the option to throw the back shoulder fade to Benjamin if it was clear 1:1 coverage. Tyrod chose to do that, which was a terrible decision, and not just because of the OPI. You have four plays to hammer the ball in against a team whose only weakness is run defense. You do that. Four times. And if they stop you, Bortles has to start at his 1 or 2 yard line. Why they would give him an option there, against the NFL's best pass defense, I don't know.

Rick Dennison should be fired. I don't care one way or the other about Tyrod. If they keep him, I can live with that - as long as they run a system that takes advantage of his strengths, and surround him with more talent. If they don't keep him, I'm fine with that too.

At this stage, I'm not going to concern myself with what I think their needs are. Beane and McDermott need to use free agency and the draft to field the team they want to field, and I'll watch. They've earned that at least.
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 pm As a Patriots fan, I could not be more supportive of teams deciding to throw at the 1 yard line.
My statement must have been too subtle. ;)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:59 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 pm As a Patriots fan, I could not be more supportive of teams deciding to throw at the 1 yard line.
My statement must have been too subtle. ;)
It was.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 am

The Patriots are in a superior position but I think Mariota is the kind of quarterback that can surprise them. They can't prepare for him the way they would for a conventional QB and any guy who can throw a touchdown pass to himself in a playoff game clearly has some powerful mojo on his side.
I'm not an expert on the Titans, but my impression is that Mariota is a talented (though inconsistent) quarterback. He's probably good enough to win, but the rest of the team (and especially the coaching staff) is mediocre at best.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m not an expert on the Titans, but I owned Mariotta on several fantasy teams. My impression is that he didn’t take the step forward that many people thought he would this year, and maybe even regressed.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

That's what makes them dangerous. Mariota and his team are pinballing through this season, it could have ended horribly for them at any time. And yet here they are. That's the kind of intangible that you can't really prepare for, preparing for a conventionally good team is a lot easier in comparison. At least then you know what kind of game you're going to have.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm That's what makes them dangerous. Mariota and his team are pinballing through this season, it could have ended horribly for them at any time. And yet here they are. That's the kind of intangible that you can't really prepare for, preparing for a conventionally good team is a lot easier in comparison. At least then you know what kind of game you're going to have.
:lol:

Yeah, if you have a "good" team then you know that they're going to consistently do things like, throw and catch the ball. Whereas if you have a terrible football team, they could do anything at any time! Can't game plan for that. Also - you don't really need to, if they're not throwing and catching the ball.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

msteelers wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm I’m not an expert on the Titans, but I owned Mariotta on several fantasy teams. My impression is that he didn’t take the step forward that many people thought he would this year, and maybe even regressed.
There's a lot of conjecture he's been hampered by injuries though he denies they are affecting his play.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msteelers wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm I’m not an expert on the Titans, but I owned Mariotta on several fantasy teams. My impression is that he didn’t take the step forward that many people thought he would this year, and maybe even regressed.
Regressed was Jameis Winston. I thought he would be a pro-bowl calibre QB this year, especially with the weapons upgrades he got. Derek Carr too, but after the back injury, he gets more of a pass for the year.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 pm
Benjamin got called for OPI for Gronking Jalen Ramsey.

The play call was a run, but it gave Tyrod the option to throw the back shoulder fade to Benjamin if it was clear 1:1 coverage. Tyrod chose to do that, which was a terrible decision, and not just because of the OPI. You have four plays to hammer the ball in against a team whose only weakness is run defense. You do that. Four times. And if they stop you, Bortles has to start at his 1 or 2 yard line. Why they would give him an option there, against the NFL's best pass defense, I don't know.

Rick Dennison should be fired. I don't care one way or the other about Tyrod. If they keep him, I can live with that - as long as they run a system that takes advantage of his strengths, and surround him with more talent. If they don't keep him, I'm fine with that too.

At this stage, I'm not going to concern myself with what I think their needs are. Beane and McDermott need to use free agency and the draft to field the team they want to field, and I'll watch. They've earned that at least.
Not to mention that the Bills have Shady, who -- gimpy ankle and all -- was playing a very solid game. With him in the backfield, giving Tyrod the option to throw was just terrible. I put that on the Bills coaching staff.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Trent Dilfer, Super Bowl Champion starting QB.

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm
gameoverman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm That's what makes them dangerous. Mariota and his team are pinballing through this season, it could have ended horribly for them at any time. And yet here they are. That's the kind of intangible that you can't really prepare for, preparing for a conventionally good team is a lot easier in comparison. At least then you know what kind of game you're going to have.
:lol:

Yeah, if you have a "good" team then you know that they're going to consistently do things like, throw and catch the ball. Whereas if you have a terrible football team, they could do anything at any time! Can't game plan for that. Also - you don't really need to, if they're not throwing and catching the ball.
All the Patriots need to do to win is play smart football (which is something they excel at). The Titans shouldn't even be in the playoffs. They are a mediocre team, at best. This game will only be fun to watch for people who enjoy watching a 30 year old man beat the crap out of a 10 year old girl. The only way this becomes interesting is if Gronk or Brady gets taken out of the game due to injury. Even that would only be interesting due to what it means in the next game.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’ve been living with a creeping dread all week as Saturday approaches. I’ve been rooting for the Eagles since the Ron Jaworski days, and about mid-way through the Rams game this season, I actually started to believe they might have a shot at making a deep run in the playoffs this year. Then Wentz and his stupid ACL. I have very little faith in Foles, and after playing competently in finishing out the Rams game, the Eagles offense sputtered to a halt the final two games, barely beating the Raiders and then losing to the Cowboys to end the season. Although we’ve actually got talent at WR (Alshon, Nelson Agholor, Tory Smith), Foles seems completely unable to get his receivers involved, looking solely to his TE or his checkdowns to his backs.

Now they’ve got the Falcons. Even though this Atlanta team has been a pale shadow of its offense from last year, they’re still potent and can put points on the board. I think the Eagles’ only chance is if our defense plays to its strengths and gets pressure on Ryan in order to protect what I think is a somewhat suspect secondary. The Eagles D has been pretty solid most of the year, but I’m afraid a lot of that comes from playing ahead. I’m not optimistic.

And the Pats get the Titans at Foxboro.

So, two of the things I hate most are likely to occur on Saturday: An Eagles loss and a Patriots win. I’m planning to make a big pot of pulled pork and have copious amounts of good beer on hand to ease my suffering.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, the bad news is that you're probably right. The general expectation is that the Eagles will probably lose to the Falcons (unless Foles pulls an amazing game out of his ass, which is possible).

The good news is that you are now blessed with low expectations. If the Eagles lose...well, that's what you expected anyway. If they win...gravy!
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The weather in Foxboro is supposed to be 20s at game time and dropping. A cold 10-15mph wind and drizzle/freezing rain/snow round out the report. That is running weather and the Titans strength is stopping the run. They have a HUGE running back of their own who is very fresh (having only been starter for a game or two) to go against the Pats suspect run defense.

I want the Patriots to win, but this is not going to be an easy game and I can see them losing easily.