Super Bowl LII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: 2017 NFL Conference Finals

Post by Isgrimnur »

And never work another postseason game when they override the rules.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: 2017 NFL Conference Semi-Finals

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 am
RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:43 am
Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:12 pmIt's idiotic and with all of the other player protection rules being passed, I can't believe this was allowed to stand. The game should be ruled over if there is no chance the outcome could be changed.
So should the refs stop calling penalties if the game is out of hand, since the outcome won't be changed? Rules are rules. A TD scored as time expires in any quarter must include an untimed extra point / 2 point try. Those are the rules. There aren't any player safety issues, since the defensive players didn't move a muscle, and Keenum just kneeled the ball down.

You are being ridiculous. They can easily make an exception for a TD on the last play of a post season game where the outcome cannot be changed.
It's the NFL. If they don't make an ostentatious show of following their convoluted rules to the letter (except in the instance of a "catch" or when it's the Patriots), the world would end. It's no accident that so many refs are lawyers in their day jobs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 am
stessier wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 am
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 am What was the spread?
It started the week between Vikings -5.5 and -5 ( ended at -3.5). That extra point (or lack thereof) was huge.

Edit: Got my dates crossed on the tabs I had opened. It started at 3.5 and went to 5 by Friday and was 5.5 on Sunday.
The league is not supposed to kowtow to Vegas.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Have you ever thought about why teams need to put out injury reports and get fined if they lie?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

stessier wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm Right now, i just want PIT and their smugness DEAD.
I assume you know how ironic this is coming from a Pats fan?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:56 am
It started the week between Vikings -5.5 and -5 ( ended at -3.5). That extra point (or lack thereof) was huge.

Edit: Got my dates crossed on the tabs I had opened. It started at 3.5 and went to 5 by Friday and was 5.5 on Sunday.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Have you ever thought about why teams need to put out injury reports and get fined if they lie?
That's not kowtowing to Vegas. That's acknowledging Vegas' existence and dealing with reality.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 am If they don't make an ostentatious show of following their convoluted rules to the letter (except in the instance of a "catch" or when it's the Patriots)
Are we doing the league unfairly favors the Pats this week? I can never keep straight when it's the league has it out for the Pats vs. favors the Pats.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am
Are we doing the league unfairly favors the Pats this week? I can never keep straight when it's the league has it out for the Pats vs. favors the Pats.
Doesn't matter. Either way, rules tend to be...overlooked.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 amYou are being ridiculous. They can easily make an exception for a TD on the last play of a post season game where the outcome cannot be changed.
It's not complicated. If a team scores a TD in regulation (which the Vikings did), then they must attempt the point after try. Not "should". Not "Hey, it would be sorta cool if". Must.

It's just the rules. Sure - this time the rule wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game. Given that yesterday was the first time in NFL history a team scored a game-winning TD as time expired in the 4th Q of a playoff game, it hardly seems like we need to alter the rules to accommodate the only time this has ever happened. Just line up and kneel down the way the Vikings did, and go about your business. It will be OK, and no one will get hurt. I promise.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Can we just propose a new rule that says that going for the extra point is optional on the part of the scoring team so that you guys will stop arguing this silly point? :tjg:
stessier

Post by stessier »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 am
stessier wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm Right now, i just want PIT and their smugness DEAD.
Like recognizes like? There can be only one? :)

That being said, I don't think I'm smug. I'm like anti-smug - I always think they will lose. I acknowledge this may be equally annoying.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 am Can we just propose a new rule that says that going for the extra point is optional on the part of the scoring team
That's a terrific proposal.
so that you guys will stop arguing this silly point? :tjg:
That's a terrible idea. Argument is what keeps the dOOrs open.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Hey, I'm not trying to end all arguments. Just remove some of the lesser ones. :P
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 am Can we just propose a new rule that says that going for the extra point is optional on the part of the scoring team so that you guys will stop arguing this silly point? :tjg:
Going for it is already optional. The scoring team can always take a knee.

Lining up for it is not. Although the Saints had less than 11 lined up yesterday, right? You really don't even have to line up.

FWIW, the final spread favored Minnesota by 5.5. The PAT that wasn't was the difference between win or lose for anyone betting on the spread. What they should do is allow for an uncontested PAT to be automatic. Like if the defense doesn't line up and the team on offense kneels, it's 1 point (they can still go for 2, otherwise a defending team up by one or two would just not line up and force 1 on the opposition). Seems complicated enough for the NFL to enact.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am Are we doing the league unfairly favors the Pats this week? I can never keep straight when it's the league has it out for the Pats vs. favors the Pats.
That depends. Are you talking about the refs or Godell?
naednek

Post by naednek »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 am
ya i was going to make that point. Steelers get their lessons from the Patriots when it comes to being smug
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 am Can we just propose a new rule that says that going for the extra point is optional on the part of the scoring team so that you guys will stop arguing this silly point? :tjg:

Lining up for it is not. Although the Saints had less than 11 lined up yesterday, right? You really don't even have to line up.
But... but... but... the game can't end on a defensive penalty!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Meal wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:40 pm

I assume the Vikings declined. If the refs even bothered to call it.

It the offense wasn't allowed to decline, I imagine some awesome sour grapes could be doled out. A losing team could just lineup offsides/illegally indefinitely.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Final play via espn box score:
3rd and 10 at MIN 39
(0:00 - 4th) Stefon Diggs Pass From Case Keenum for 61 Yrds (Run formation) TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. C.Keenum rushes kneels. ATTEMPT FAILS.
:lol:

MYT
The Meal

See what I did there!?! ;)

Post by The Meal »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:04 pm

It the offense wasn't allowed to decline, I imagine some awesome sour grapes could be doled out. A losing team could just lineup offsides/illegally indefinitely.
Hence the silliness behind rules are RULES! In this case Jeff is correct, things could've been legitimized without the PAT farce. Clearing the field and trotting out the injured punter for a worthless PAT 20 minutes after the last play of the game accomplished less-than-nothing. Imlawboy's suggestion (allowing the PAT try with 0:00 on the clock of a post-season game with a >2 point margin to be an option given to the scoring team) should be codified. Maybe even written on a once-folded index card.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Perhaps Sean Payton will bring it up in the Competition Committee this year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Re: See what I did there!?! ;)

Post by stessier »

The Meal wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:19 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Hence the silliness behind rules are RULES! In this case Jeff is correct, things could've been legitimized without the PAT farce. Clearing the field and trotting out the injured punter for a worthless PAT 20 minutes after the last play of the game accomplished less-than-nothing. Imlawboy's suggestion (allowing the PAT try with 0:00 on the clock of a post-season game with a >2 point margin to be an option given to the scoring team) should be codified. Maybe even written on a once-folded index card.
The other team doesn't have to be out there. It's happened during the regular season. The Pats scored to win as time expired and the Bills walked to the locker room before the extra point. Vinateri lined up and then ran in for an easy 2 points. (For anyone who doesn't click the link - this was 1998 and pre-Belichick.) The Pats and Bills have never really liked each other. :D
Kelric

Re: See what I did there!?! ;)

Post by Kelric »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:35 pm The other team doesn't have to be out there. It's happened during the regular season. The Pats scored to win as time expired and the Bills walked to the locker room before the extra point. Vinateri lined up and then ran in for an easy 2 points. (For anyone who doesn't click the link - this was 1998 and pre-Belichick.) The Pats and Bills have never really liked each other. :D
I don't remember the game, but wow does that article bring back some memories. Bledsoe, Ben Coates, Terry Glenn, Shawn Jefferson, Andre Reed, Eric Moulds... I bet Vinatieri is the only one from those rosters still in the NFL, and possibly the only one from those rosters to have played in this decade.
lytong

Post by lytong »

It is the final spam.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I guess I'm not really sure what to make of the AFC Championship matchup. Bortles is so bad that, even with a strong defense, the Patriots *should* win by a lot. But then, this is 2018, and I can't really argue that Blake Bortles vs. Nick Foles is the Super Bowl matchup we deserve at this point.

Someone should have top NFL and Fox executives on live cams during the championship games to get their reaction shots if we wind up closing in on Bortles v. Foles.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 am I guess I'm not really sure what to make of the AFC Championship matchup. Bortles is so bad that, even with a strong defense, the Patriots *should* win by a lot. But then, this is 2018, and I can't really argue that Blake Bortles vs. Nick Foles is the Super Bowl matchup we deserve at this point.

Someone should have top NFL and Fox executives on live cams during the championship games to get their reaction shots if we wind up closing in on Bortles v. Foles.
The Eagles in the SB would be a huge ratings draw. Widespread fan base. Never won a SB before. And there’s at least a good narrative that goes along with backup QB who almost retired now playing for a SB.

And the Jags hold some interest, too. That D is impressive.

Plus, aren’t people tired of seeing the Brady Patriots win yet another championship? It’s like the old rerun that just keeps airing. Enough already! 👌
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:09 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 am I guess I'm not really sure what to make of the AFC Championship matchup. Bortles is so bad that, even with a strong defense, the Patriots *should* win by a lot. But then, this is 2018, and I can't really argue that Blake Bortles vs. Nick Foles is the Super Bowl matchup we deserve at this point.

The Eagles in the SB would be a huge ratings draw. Widespread fan base. Never won a SB before. And there’s at least a good narrative that goes along with backup QB who almost retired now playing for a SB.

And the Jags hold some interest, too. That D is impressive.

Plus, aren’t people tired of seeing the Brady Patriots win yet another championship? It’s like the old rerun that just keeps airing. Enough already! 👌
I feel like Vikings vs. Patriots would probably be the best TV matchup, of what's remaining. You would have the Vikings (a tortured fan base if there ever was one, and who everyone outside of New England would root for), trying to win the Super Bowl in their home stadium, against the villainous Patriots. Plus both Brady and Keenum are actually good quarterbacks, so you'd probably get some actual scoring. Whereas Jaguars vs. Eagles would feature terrible quarterbacks against good to great defenses (the Eagles defense is pretty decent, right?), and could easily end up like 10-3 or something.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Key words being "supposed to". The NFL has always had a relationship with gambling. Look at Fantasy Football, as well as the daily fantasy, in addition to the NFL being fine with pregame shows hosting gambling experts for 40+ years, and a huge segment on SVP's sportscenter being dedicated to bad gambling beats.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think the NFL would love a Vikings/Jaguars Super Bowl. This miracle play has made the Vikings instant stars. The mainstream viewers the NFL loves to draw in for its SB audience will be there for the Vikings if they make it. On the other side, the Patriots would be the ultimate antagonist for the Vikings. The Patriots are very good, they have tons of post season experience, and are led by all time greats at QB and coaching. However, the Jaguars would be a good opponent for a very different reason.

If they make it, that means they slayed the giant in his own stadium...in the AFC championship game. So while they'd be a nameless, faceless team to the mainstream viewer, that makes them more scary as a threat. Who are these guys? Do the Vikings have a chance against them? Did someone really name their kid Blake Bortles? That's a compelling angle for the NFL to play.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If it is Eagles vs Patriots and NE gets a lead, I will probably turn it off at half time.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:09 pm
More importantly for ratings, aren't people tired of yet another Justin Timberlake halftime show? How is that bland-as-paste yawn inducer still getting this gig? Oh, wait, that's how.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Bortles has been playing really well in the playoffs. Reminds me of the Hoss in '91.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Bortles had 87 passing yards against the Bills. Let’s not start saying he’s playing really well after one extremely effective game.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'd love to see Vikings/Jaguars but I don't think it would be anywhere near as much of a draw as Vikings Patriots. Plus, the game would likely be a low scoring affair that most people don't want to see (I do). No matter what, I'll enjoy the fact that the Vikings beat that douchebag Payton.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 pm Bortles had 87 passing yards against the Bills. Let’s not start saying he’s playing really well after one extremely effective game.
All he does is win.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm
msteelers wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 pm Bortles had 87 passing yards against the Bills. Let’s not start saying he’s playing really well after one extremely effective game.
All he does is win.
That was fantastic... up until the flashbacks started.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:14 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm
All he does is win.
That was fantastic... up until the flashbacks started.
I remember. :wub:
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The wind was pretty terrible in that game, as I recall. He did a lot to sustain drives in that game when it mattered. Of course, I'm of the opinion that the onsides kick was the right call, given how well Jacksonville's offense was moving the ball at the time. I think that if Jacksonville hadn't been in FG range already, they would have not played it as conservatively, and would have run out the clock.

gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

There's that saying "That was then, this is now" and Bortles makes me think of that. Whatever his failings as a QB previous to these playoffs, he did go to Pittsburgh and make big plays against that defense in their own stadium. At 35-28 he could easily have folded and the Steelers win, but he made a big play on that drive.

That's the kind of intangible that makes a win in NE not impossible. Regardless of how the Jaguar defense played, the Steeler defense still had Bortles to exploit and yet he exploited them in the end. NE can fall into the same trap.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That's the stuff of a stirring pregame speech - "Boys, I am telling you today that a win is not impossible!"

I will agree that since Bortles played well enough to beat Pittsburgh, it's possible that he'll play well enough to beat New England. It's improbable, but as long as the Jaguars defense (and Fournette) play well enough, it's possible.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Whelp, the dream is dead. Brady's throwing hand was severed during practice today. No way Hoyer leads us to the promised land.

(Sure they only listed him as limited with a right hand injury, but i know how to decipher Patriot injury reports.)
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 pm
The wind was pretty terrible in that game, as I recall. He did a lot to sustain drives in that game when it mattered. Of course, I'm of the opinion that the onsides kick was the right call, given how well Jacksonville's offense was moving the ball at the time. I think that if Jacksonville hadn't been in FG range already, they would have not played it as conservatively, and would have run out the clock.
I was thinking it was a mistake to onside but you may be right. Pitt had 2 timeouts and over 2 minutes on the clock. I think we would have turtled or BB would have made his trademark INT.

I was at the Bills game. I really don't think the wind on the field was much of a factor...he and the receivers just plain sucked.