Free money from milk

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Free money from milk

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: I wasn't even talking about as part of a class action but now that you mention it, I have received rebates toward future purchases as part of a class action suit, and I've been offended by that. My reward for a problem being hidden from me is buying more stuff from the problem creator?
There this, and then the more insidious and even less useful one: "you will receive one free companion ticket good for travel with the purchase of a full-fare." And by "full fare", they mean the list price nobody pays, not the discounted price everyone gets on eXpedia. (I believe this was the punchline following a settlement regarding an Amex travel insurance scandal).
Last edited by Jeff V on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LordMortis wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
What I dislike for trivial amounts of money is rebates. So much so, they are disincentive for me to buy a product. They seem to be 50/50 on whether they actual come and when they do, now I have to make a trip to the bank for two or ten dollars.
Rebates are controversial as a class action remedy. And this is one issue in class actions - there's a divergence in interests between the class action firms on this, because rebates are fine for them (they get a cut in cash of the rebate amount), but are far less useful for consumers generally. So there's pushback on that, and judges sometimes reject rebate-based settlements.

I wasn't even talking about as part of a class action but now that you mention it, I have received rebates toward future purchases as part of a class action suit, and I've been offended by that. My reward for a problem being hidden from me is buying more stuff from the problem creator?
I don't remember the exact product but I have received a rebate like that. And no, I didn't use it.
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Scuzz wrote:
morlac wrote:
Scuzz wrote:
I know the milk industry lost this case, but they have had, at least in California a pretty rough time in the last 10 years. Between environmental laws, the drought and crazy PETA people the industry is slowly moving out of the state.

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable excuse for killing good cows to artificially inflate supply vs demand to raise profits with other dairy farms...nudge nudge wink wink..
They did kill cows during the drought. When the price of feed went up they reduced the sizes of their herds. I guess the beef industry needs a good suing too.

You were justifying the industry engaging in illegal activity to increase profits because profits were low. I called bullshit. That's all.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(you could have said: "I called bull. That's all", and I've have given you points)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote:
AWS260 wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Have you bought milk in the last 15 years or milk products?
Well, I've "acquired" it over the last 15 years. Does that count?
That was a steer, and that's not milk.
The episode of Teen Titans Go where Robin milks the Cow King creeps me out.

I probably watch too many cartoons.
Teen Titans Go is one of my favourite cartoons right now. I like it and watch it more than my kids do.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Unagi wrote:(you could have said: "I called bull. That's all", and I've have given you points)
Agreed, it came off way snarkier than I meant. Apologies to Scuzz and all. :)

Bad situations don't excuse bad behavior is all.

Edit: Dammit Puns!, you win this time!

point still stands on snarkiness. I have plumbers in my house...multiple...I get a pass
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

morlac wrote:
Unagi wrote:(you could have said: "I called bull. That's all", and I've have given you points)
Agreed, it came off way snarkier than I meant. Apologies to Scuzz and all. :)

Bad situations don't excuse bad behavior is all.

Edit: Dammit Puns!, you win this time!

point still stands on snarkiness. I have plumbers in my house...multiple...I get a pass
No problem, and I don't really mean to defend the milk industry except that living in an area where Ag and especially dairy seem to be under constant attack I guess I tend to be a little defensive about them.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Payments are going out now. I got emails saying I can collect ours today. Getting $7.54 or so back for 15 years over overpriced milk seems like crap but hey its still money.

Im wondering though. This was back when my wife was alive and we both signed up. One email is to me with link to collect and one is to her with link collect. I inherited everything on her death. Is it ok for me to collect her $7.54?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's not exactly "free" if you have been overpaying all these years.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also the suit took 4 years! Ugh. Im usually dont do class action suits. For some reason though it irked me about the milk as I drank lots of it. This and the Google+ one are all Ive joined ever. I join then forget about them until some news pops up. haven't heard anything o the Google one in ages.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:01 am Is it ok for me to collect her $7.54?
I guarantee if someone disputes your claim, it'll make national news.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pretty much. It would probably cost a thousand times that just to bring you to court. Nobody would even bother to check. In fact, they probably go out of their way not to check so they don't feel any pressure to respond.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I generally ignore class action notices when I get them, but a while back I got one for a class action suit against a bunch of tech companies in Silicon Valley because they had an agreement between them to not poach employees from each other, which artificially reduced salaries.

I didn’t have to do anything, Intel had already turned over all of my employment data, so I signed up, and many months later a few checks showed up totaling about $6000. Many of the people I worked with at the time had just thrown the letter in the trash.

I’m part of another one now, but that’s more out of spite than anything else because it’s against a health insurance company that screwed me back in 2012 because they knew that I wasn’t going to come sue them in state court (I was in NJ and they are in AL). I don’t care if I only get $0.01, I will frame that check and put it on my wall.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I clicked to choose how to receive my digital payment and it only gives you the option of a gift card...Mastercard, Amazon, Safeway, or Target. I was expecting bank or Paypal or something. $7.50 on a gift card seems wasteful..and silly.

So Im thinking Amazon. Though I haven't had a Mastercard in ages lol.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:39 pm$7.50 on a gift card seems wasteful..and silly.
You clearly don't understand how gift cards work. What happened was Big Milk went to Amazon et al. and said "We need to buy about $25 million in gift cards because laws, but statistics show the majority of people are going to forget to use them anyway so we'll pay you $10 million for them here and now. Deal?".
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ha ha, I just got my payment by email. Took it as a gift card with Amazon so I don't have to think about it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got both my payments today. Got one as MasterCard and one as Amazon. After thinking a few minutes I just used the e-mastercard to add money to my Amazon gift wallet since thats where the other payment went. Easier to use ...or remember to use...that way.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I got my $7.51 today. I wasn't sure I'd even signed up for this one. Asked for an "Amazon gift card," which I understand to just be a credit on our account. That's almost enough for a tub of cat treats.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got an email today saying that after 12 months of inactivity on that pre paid card they sent us they it is charged an inactivity fee. Does that mean they can charge me a fee and then sue me for non payment?....Am I supposed to turn this damn thing off some how?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:58 pm Got an email today saying that after 12 months of inactivity on that pre paid card they sent us they it is charged an inactivity fee. Does that mean they can charge me a fee and then sue me for non payment?....Am I supposed to turn this damn thing off some how?
No, it just means that they will keep taking money off the card's balance until there's nothing left. You need to use up the card before it's wasted.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:58 pm Got an email today saying that after 12 months of inactivity on that pre paid card they sent us they it is charged an inactivity fee. Does that mean they can charge me a fee and then sue me for non payment?....Am I supposed to turn this damn thing off some how?
If you put the entire balance on the Amazon account as mentioned previously, it's effectively dead. If you want try to cancel, you can but don't have to.

Some states don't allow them to charge the inactivity fee. Not sure which ones those are though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was no way to get it all off after I used some of it...theres like $1 left on each one.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got the same email but it also stated that all you had to do was contact them and they would remove the fee. They asked us to use it faster than a year but said anytime a fee was applied, just contact them to get it removed.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:39 pm Was no way to get it all off after I used some of it...theres like $1 left on each one.
If you can't use the remaining balance, I think you can donate it.

Example.

Or just trash it and the bank will get the balance back. They can't hit you for more than the balance since it isn't an account.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wonder if they can ding my credit over this.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:11 pm Wonder if they can ding my credit over this.
No, gift cards aren't part of your credit.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I still can't for the life of me figure out how to use my $18.90 on Amazon (or anywhere else).