Free money from milk

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Free money from milk

Post by Daehawk »

Have you bought milk in the last 15 years or milk products? Live in one of the states listed? Then get money...maybe up to $70.

http://www.boughtmilk.com/

The lawsuit accused milk producers of price-fixing. Instead of taking the case to court, the milk producers settled the case for $52 million. The settlement claims farmers were prematurely killing cows in order to raise the price of dairy products.

You are a member of this class if you, since 2003, purchased milk or other milk products (including half & half, cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt or cream) when you were a resident of one of the following states, you may be entitled to payment from this milk price-fixing class action settlement:

Arizona
California
District of Columbia
Kansas
Massachusetts
Michigan
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
Oregon
South Dakota
Tennessee
Vermont
West Virginia
Wisconsin

NOTE: To be eligible for benefits from this class action settlement, you must have purchased the milk products from a grocery store or other retailer, not directly from one of the defendants. The products must not have been purchased for resale.

http://www.classactionrebates.com/settl ... resh-milk/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Re: Free money from milk

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote:Have you bought milk in the last 15 years or milk products?
Well, I've "acquired" it over the last 15 years. Does that count?
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote:
That was a steer, and that's not milk.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You jest, but...

I've said too much already. Big Milk may be listening.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AWS260 wrote:
hepcat wrote:
The episode of Teen Titans Go where Robin milks the Cow King creeps me out.

I probably watch too many cartoons.
Rip

Post by Rip »

AWS260 wrote:
hepcat wrote:
He can get a steer to ejaculate?

Damn he is better than I ever imagined.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damn it, Rip. You always have to drag politics into things. :x

Spoiler:
:P
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

These type of lawsuits are really annoying. "Have you driven a car in the last 20 years? Let's sue someone so lawyers can try and collect millions in fees while the participants get a $5 coupon for gas." If you drank milk and didn't have a problem why would you contribute to this nonsense?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You'll probably get $10 or $20, or nothing. Just like every other class action lawsuit.

Bought milk?
There is no hug button. Sad!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Moliere wrote:These type of lawsuits are really annoying. "Have you driven a car in the last 20 years? Let's sue someone so lawyers can try and collect millions in fees while the participants get a $5 coupon for gas." If you drank milk and didn't have a problem why would you contribute to this nonsense?
I've collected on four of these things in the past six months, totaling something over $60. I was wronged -- wronged, I tell you! -- but $10 will make it right.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:These type of lawsuits are really annoying. "Have you driven a car in the last 20 years? Let's sue someone so lawyers can try and collect millions in fees while the participants get a $5 coupon for gas." If you drank milk and didn't have a problem why would you contribute to this nonsense?
Because price-fixing made it cost more for 15 years?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pyperkub wrote:Because price-fixing made it cost more for 15 years?
I will have to wait for Isg to find a better graph, but this is what I could come up with in the 5 minutes before I grew bored of the search. Lots of fluctuation in the price.

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm in.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote:
I've collected on four of these things in the past six months, totaling something over $60. I was wronged -- wronged, I tell you! -- but $10 will make it right.
Yep, and some law firm made millions.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Free money from milk

Post by Zarathud »

Some law firm spent millions finding the evidence to get a settlement. Would you rather they not settle and have everyone spend more?

When government won't prevent bad actors in the market, plaintiffs lawyers will try to do the job and collect a bounty.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote:I've collected on four of these things in the past six months, totaling something over $60. I was wronged -- wronged, I tell you! -- but $10 will make it right.
I get notices from time to time. Some drag out for years...decades even. Then, finally a settlement! "To claim your share of the RAM settlement, please provide proof of purchase for computer memory bought between 2001 and 2003." :?

I've collected on exactly one - a lawsuit against the makers of Synthroid that netted me a whopping $20 (my nephew had been on it longer and reaped $75). Oh, and I think I made like $0.14 on the Amazon Kindle lawsuit. The Netflix suit was puppies since the temporary free upgrade to more movies out would flip to higher cost after a month if you didn't remember to reset to your prior plan (and at the time, I was on a grandfathered plan that was no longer available).
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Title should be either "Bought Milk?" or "Milk Money"

just sayin.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Zarathud wrote:Some law firm spent millions finding the evidence to get a settlement. Would you rather they not settle and have everyone spend more?

When government won't prevent bad actors in the market, plaintiffs lawyers will try to do the job and collect a bounty.
So do you think that law firm did this out of a sense of injustice or because they saw a way to make money for themselves?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote:
Zarathud wrote:Some law firm spent millions finding the evidence to get a settlement. Would you rather they not settle and have everyone spend more?

So do you think that law firm did this out of a sense of injustice or because they saw a way to make money for themselves?
Can't it be both?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife andI ended up with over $200 from the kindle book settlement.

My local Microcenter does a fake "rebate" deal to lower shelf prices, but you have to jump through steps that make the product non-returnable within their return period. I'm waiting for them to get sued eventually.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Scuzz wrote:

Can't it be both?
If a law firm is taking on a government agency or industry over something that endangers lives or the environment, I can respect them for that. Sure, get paid for a good cause. If you are getting a paycheck so that I can get a $4.20 check from somebody then I question your true motives.

I know the milk industry lost this case, but they have had, at least in California a pretty rough time in the last 10 years. Between environmental laws, the drought and crazy PETA people the industry is slowly moving out of the state.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:Because price-fixing made it cost more for 15 years?
I will have to wait for Isg to find a better graph, but this is what I could come up with in the 5 minutes before I grew bored of the search. Lots of fluctuation in the price.

Damn, if only the defense counsel had spent five minutes on Google apparently this injustice could have been avoided. Why didn't they think of looking to see if there was evidence??
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz wrote:I know the milk industry lost this case, but they have had, at least in California a pretty rough time in the last 10 years. Between environmental laws, the drought and crazy PETA people the industry is slowly moving out of the state.
LA Times
State regulators want more farmers to reduce emissions with methane digesters, which capture methane from manure in large storage tanks and convert the gas into electricity.

The state has set aside $50 million to help dairies set up digesters, but farmers say that's not nearly enough to equip the state's roughly 1,500 dairies.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Scuzz wrote:
I know the milk industry lost this case, but they have had, at least in California a pretty rough time in the last 10 years. Between environmental laws, the drought and crazy PETA people the industry is slowly moving out of the state.

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable excuse for killing good cows to artificially inflate supply vs demand to raise profits with other dairy farms...nudge nudge wink wink..
Last edited by morlac on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Price fixing tends to happen more in struggling industries than thriving ones.
Black Lives Matter.
morlac

Post by morlac »

El Guapo wrote:Price fixing tends to happen more in struggling industries than thriving ones.

Awesome, well than justified...my bad.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

morlac wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Price fixing tends to happen more in struggling industries than thriving ones.

Awesome, well than justified...my bad.
It's not a justification, it is just a factual assertion. Probably because people are more willing to take the risk of price fixing (it being illegal and all) when they are struggling / desperate then when everyone is fat and happy.
Black Lives Matter.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Kraken wrote:
Last edited by MHS on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Personally I'm udderly shocked at the lack of puns in this thread. I've been waiting for heifer and heifer, and couldn't resist.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote:Personally I'm udderly shocked at the lack of puns in this thread. I've been waiting for heifer and heifer, and couldn't resist.
Eh, moove back to Jersey. I'm sick of this bull.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Unagi wrote:Personally I'm udderly shocked at the lack of puns in this thread. I've been waiting for heifer and heifer, and couldn't resist.
Well, I for one refuse to kowtow to such requests. It's just too cheesy.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's weird to me that so many people dislike class actions. Yes, you get a small amount of money, and the class action firms get a big check. But that's because the whole point of class action is to address situations where a large group is harmed on a small individual scale, as otherwise no one has the incentive to sue, so massive harm goes unaddressed. The firm gets a big check because they're spending lots of money over years and taking on significant risk.

Not that there aren't issues with class action suits, but there are issues with everything.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote:It's weird to me that so many people dislike class actions. Yes, you get a small amount of money, and the class action firms get a big check. But that's because the whole point of class action is to address situations where a large group is harmed on a small individual scale, as otherwise no one has the incentive to sue, so massive harm goes unaddressed. The firm gets a big check because they're spending lots of money over years and taking on significant risk.

Not that there aren't issues with class action suits, but there are issues with everything.
I suspect it's because when a single person wins a lawsuit due to, say, a product defect, they might reap a life-changing reward, even after the lawyers get their pound of flesh. However, when lots of people are involved, the damages awarded appear to escalate with the number of plaintiffs, but the amount actually received in most cases is trivial. Perception is everything though -- I'm sure in cases where physical injury is involved, the plaintiffs fair much better than in cases where a lawsuit was brought because cumulatively, there is a significant financial stake but individually, it's not worth each plaintiff to bother with. The main problem is both scenarios are referred to by "class action lawsuit" and the trivial (per plaintiff) outcomes far outweigh the windfall cases. For the most part, no body is demanding these lawyers spend vast sums of money working on such cases for years -- in the end, they are the ones benefitting from ill-gotten gains; the people wronged, not so much.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:It's weird to me that so many people dislike class actions. Yes, you get a small amount of money, and the class action firms get a big check. But that's because the whole point of class action is to address situations where a large group is harmed on a small individual scale, as otherwise no one has the incentive to sue, so massive harm goes unaddressed. The firm gets a big check because they're spending lots of money over years and taking on significant risk.

I get notices all of the time that generally tell me have to do nothing, and then nothing every happens. I have nothing against them but for the amount of times I've been represented, all I've gotten out of it is the eventual need to recycle junk mail and eye strain from reading the tiny font 3x5 card they sent me.

What I dislike for trivial amounts of money is rebates. So much so, they are disincentive for me to buy a product. They seem to be 50/50 on whether they actual come and when they do, now I have to make a trip to the bank for two or ten dollars.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote:

I suspect it's because when a single person wins a lawsuit due to, say, a product defect, they might reap a life-changing reward, even after the lawyers get their pound of flesh. However, when lots of people are involved, the damages awarded appear to escalate with the number of plaintiffs, but the amount actually received in most cases is trivial. Perception is everything though -- I'm sure in cases where physical injury is involved, the plaintiffs fair much better than in cases where a lawsuit was brought because cumulatively, there is a significant financial stake but individually, it's not worth each plaintiff to bother with. The main problem is both scenarios are referred to by "class action lawsuit" and the trivial (per plaintiff) outcomes far outweigh the windfall cases. For the most part, no body is demanding these lawyers spend vast sums of money working on such cases for years -- in the end, they are the ones benefitting from ill-gotten gains; the people wronged, not so much.
But it also acts as a deterrent against a company. They can get away with low level scamming their customers for years, because wronged individuals, while still harmed, are not harmed enough to make a lawsuit worthwhile/economically feasible. Class actions can act as a counter-balance to that by holding companies accountable for their sins. Yes, the lawyers rake in the dough, but they need to have an incentive to do this work, too.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote:

Not sure I follow this, but regardless - no one is "demanding" that class action firms do this work, but if they don't, no one gets any money. Also companies would then have a greater incentive to screw large groups of people.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

morlac wrote:
Scuzz wrote:

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable excuse for killing good cows to artificially inflate supply vs demand to raise profits with other dairy farms...nudge nudge wink wink..
They did kill cows during the drought. When the price of feed went up they reduced the sizes of their herds. I guess the beef industry needs a good suing too.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Would I be off base in believing that many of the losers in class action suits often pay via insurance money? Even their legal fees would be paid by insurance companies?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
What I dislike for trivial amounts of money is rebates. So much so, they are disincentive for me to buy a product. They seem to be 50/50 on whether they actual come and when they do, now I have to make a trip to the bank for two or ten dollars.
Rebates are controversial as a class action remedy. And this is one issue in class actions - there's a divergence in interests between the class action firms on this, because rebates are fine for them (they get a cut in cash of the rebate amount), but are far less useful for consumers generally. So there's pushback on that, and judges sometimes reject rebate-based settlements.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Rebates are controversial as a class action remedy. And this is one issue in class actions - there's a divergence in interests between the class action firms on this, because rebates are fine for them (they get a cut in cash of the rebate amount), but are far less useful for consumers generally. So there's pushback on that, and judges sometimes reject rebate-based settlements.

I wasn't even talking about as part of a class action but now that you mention it, I have received rebates toward future purchases as part of a class action suit, and I've been offended by that. My reward for a problem being hidden from me is buying more stuff from the problem creator?