Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DD*

Re: Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Post by DD* »

It'sa all dark side now!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Goddammit...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, that certainly had its moments.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

So... was it any good?
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes, it was any good. Still percolating in my head as to how good.

Light spoilers:
Spoiler:
It's very much not entirely a typical Star Wars movie. Not exactly sure how I feel about some of the choices they made. Also some of the intentional camp / over-the-top humor struck me as a bit much. But that may just be me.
More heavier spoilers:
Spoiler:
Specifically, I was not impressed with how relatively easily Kylo played Snoke, even though it made for an awesome scene, Not sure how I feel about Luke going full-on One-With-The-Force-While-Still-Alive, nor about where they left the resistance. Though the kid at the end just casually grabbing a broom with the Force was neat.
In short: I liked it. I had a lot of fun. But I also have a bunch of questions and parts of the film that aren't sitting entirely right. Will definitely have to see it again.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

xwraith wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm So... was it any good?
one of the best of the franchise.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I liked it, but like others am still processing some things.

There's no post credit scenes FYI.

A common complaint about Ep7 is that it heavily copied/lifted from Ep4, whether as an intentional homage or lazy writing. There are some parallels in a mostly general sense with other Star Wars movies in Ep8 but it's nowhere near as obvious and I was happy about that.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I largely agree with Scalzi: Spoiler-Free Observations on The Last Jedi https://whatever.scalzi.com/2017/12/15/ ... last-jedi/
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Saw it with my Imperial Guard wife this morning.
Enlarge Image

Definitely some silly-ish elements to the writing to add drama and set some scenes, but on the whole a really enjoyable movie, and I agree, it didn't follow Empire the same way Force Awakens followed New Hope.

If it doesn't change in the next movie, there was one of the big reveals in this that I was really happy about... seriously big spoiler, so please don't look if you haven't seen it.
Spoiler:
Rey's parents were no one special! As long as the don't later reveal her real parents to add yet more drama, I'm really happy she didn't end up being Luke's daughter, or Han's daughter, or Wedge's daughter, or in any way related to previous characters.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

She's very tall.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

McNutt wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 pm She's very tall.
And see, I was going to go with the much more obvious, "Isn't she a little short for a stormtrooper?"

Your's is much better.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It was pretty good. I am still outside so just general impression so far... 6 or 7 out of 8.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Very much enjoyed, but like others have iterated - it's a LOT of movie to process. Whereas The Force Awakens was like slipping on an old comfy pair of broken-in running shoes, The Last Jedi is like putting on a brand new pair you've never worn before. You think they're awesome but you're not quite sure because they feel so different.

It's not a perfect film, but I enjoyed it a great deal. I'm fairly confident it's my favorite Star Wars film so far outside of the original trilogy (including Rogue One).

PROS:
- Doesn't clone Empire the way Force Awakens cloned A New Hope
- Unpredictability keeps you guessing throughout
- Fantastic performances
- Some of the most beautifully shot sequences in all of Star Wars film history

CONS:
- Despite the near-constant action, it still feels like a slow burn movie. I really wasn't totally positive about it until around the halfway mark.
- Due to characters being separated, sometimes feels too much like 2 or 3 separate films being cut together. Wished for more major character interaction.
- Some of the humor didn't *quite* land with me.

And one mildly spoilerish thought that kind of sums up everything for me (does not give away any important plot points, but does describe the overall direction of the franchise):
Spoiler:
Part of the reason this film keeps playing itself out in my mind is that it is in some ways a complete tearing apart of traditional Star Wars norms. Whereas JJ Abrams was content to milk the teat of the original trilogy cash cow, Rian Johnson butchered it and grilled steaks. Those steaks are damn good, but you eat them knowing things are never going to be the same. I left the theater both excited for this new direction and utterly terrified. The ghost of George Lucas is fading away. While I've been clamoring for some originality in the Star Wars universe for years, it's really scary to finally take those first steps out of the comfort zone.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

YK's spoiler-ed summary is about the best way to put it. I'm 100% with you. (And for the uninitiated, it's not that spoilery.)
Holman

Post by Holman »

No to be snarky: did y'all notice there's a Spoiler thread already up?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:03 pm No to be snarky: did y'all notice there's a Spoiler thread already up?
No; thanks. And not snarky at all, as these posts targeted at those who haven't seen the film would have wound up here anyway. I will head over there going forward, though!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:46 pm Tickets Friday night, 6:30pm!
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Surprise slushy traffic-nightmare snowfall in Philadelphia means we can't make our showing on time.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

No spoiler, but I do like the movie. It's NOT Lucas' SW any more. It really *does* feel completely different, with very different story beats. Lucas' SW basically has non-stop-action about half-way onto the end. This felt "kinda" like that, but not quite.

I like most of the call outs, AND the tributes, and that little bit of a hint left at the end. And I appreciate the bit about how it basically retcon'ed the way Force really works. Some of the humor was... in the wrong spots?
Spoiler:
Yoda, man!

That kid did NOT grab the broom. Think about it.

It's no longer about the midi-chlorians. But then, as other review pointed out, Disney was going this way when they introduced Chirrut in Rogue One. He's force sensitive.

I chuckled when Rey got bonked on the head.

Oh, and it seems that Snokes... Was played by Felicia Day?!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Excellent Star Wars movie just like the last one (the "story" one). If you like Star Wars at all you'll like this one. Spoiler: It's 2:30. Don't drink a lot before you go see it. I was squirming near the end.
Spoiler:
I thought it was going to end a few times before it did. Flee to planet, destruction of doorhammer weapon, buildup to Skywalker/Solo fight. I totally thought they were going to endthe movie when the Empire landed the breach weapon onto the planet.

I love the space penguins.
There is no hug button. Sad!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

SEALOWLS
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

My non-spoiler review is I thought it was just Okay.
Has some great moments and certainly worth seeing, just temper your expectations.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

killbot737 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:24 pm Spoiler: It's 2:30. Don't drink a lot before you go see it. I was squirming near the end.
Good info to know! Thanks.

I'm one to generally hold it (because I still can, and I'm a bit lazy), so will remember this before cavalierly walking into the theater with a fullish bladder.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

*checks username*

Nope, that does not check out...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yea! Reclining in a comfy theater chair and waiting for the movie to start. Was resigned to waiting for after Christmas to watch this but the wife found some tickets for today.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Archinerd wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:55 pm My non-spoiler review is I thought it was just Okay.
Has some great moments and certainly worth seeing, just temper your expectations.
That about covers it. The critical review response made this seem like a perfect movie. Its not and if you go in expecting that you may be disappointed. If you watch it expecting to see a good sci fi space opera and a worthy entry into the Star Wars universe, you should do fine.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The fan score on RT is pretty low compared with the critics. I haven't seen the movie but reading a few non-spoilery synopses, it suffers from some very contrived and illogical situations. I'll give my opinion after seeing it but I'm not expecting much. I didn't like the first one (I thought the story was just a copy of A New Hope, and how many times do outnumbered rebels blow up the Empires most devastating weapon which seems pretty unprotected, but I digress). I just don't think the new Stars movies have very good stories with the exception of Rogue One which I thought was pretty good and different in some ways.

Anyway, I'll see it and then rate it :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I loved the movie.

I get why people find it polarizing. This is part of why I love it.

Looking forward to Rian Johnson having a blank Star Wars slate to play with.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Got tickets for Tuesday. Will try to avoid the internet entirely until then.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Skinypupy wrote:Got tickets for Tuesday. Will try to avoid the internet entirely until then.
It was worthwhile to avoid all spoilers and Star Wars talk until after the movie.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Someone pointed out that this movie basically turned almost all the expectations on their heads. Instead of the usual "hero survives enormous odds, emerges triumphant", this is (censored)
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

[/spoiler][/quote]Fucking spoilers man, theres literally a spoiler thread. Uncool.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Combustible Lemur on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It’s posts like that which make me avoid these threads at all costs until I see the movie.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, I'm a little lost here. You guys don't want ANY spoilers here, and not even the HINT of one?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

No. I came to this thread to see if my fellow OOers liked the movie. If I wanted any spoiler I would go to the SPOILER thread.

Luckily I caught the post below yours first and didn't see whatever you had posted.
msteelers

Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Post by msteelers »

Considering there is a dedicated spoiler thread I would think that would be obvious.

I would be pissed if I read your post before seeing the movie. It would be nice to err on the side of caution on things like this.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, discussion of the arc of the story and direction it heads for the major parties is not a hint. It's a spoiler. Full stop.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Done.

Now if someone will just edit that blockquote...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

You post spoilers about movies all the time, Kasey. This isn't your first time doing so.
Hodor.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It'd kinda difficult differentiating what are interesting points to discuss and what are spoilers.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:13 pm It'd kinda difficult differentiating what are interesting points to discuss and what are spoilers.
When in doubt, DON'T post it. At very least put it in Spoiler tags so the reader can make that decision. I already saw the movie but if I hadn't and read your post I would have been pissed. You described a specific scene, yeah it was generalized, but you still gave away what was going on and that's a clear spoiler. Come on dude.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯