Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Kasey Chang wrote:It'd kinda difficult differentiating what are interesting points to discuss and what are spoilers.
Not really. Generalities about the movie (e.g. “it’s dark”, “there’s a lot of humor”) are fine. But a post that relates to the plot, even if it doesn’t mention specific things that happened in the story, is a spoiler.

What you posted could reasonably allow people who haven’t seen the movie to know what to expect at specific points of the movie.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Yes, his post was very spoilery... but he DID have it in a spoiler tag. That's better than a majority of the internet.
Really, the best way to avoid it is to immediately close your eyes, plug your ears and go "lalalalala" anytime you see the word STAR.
It's been working for me. The only thing I KNEW going into this movie is that there are
Spoiler:
cute bird things called P-something
and a new
Spoiler:
AT-AT type.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Archinerd wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:25 pm Yes, his post was very spoilery... but he DID have it in a spoiler tag. That's better than a majority of the internet.
Really, the best way to avoid it is to immediately close your eyes, plug your ears and go "lalalalala" anytime you see the word STAR.
It's been working for me. The only thing I KNEW going into this movie is that there are
Spoiler:
and a new
Spoiler:
AT-AT type.
Those were in the previews. Previews are fair game.

Also,
Spoiler:
it's called an AT-M6. :horse:
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:13 pm It'd kinda difficult differentiating what are interesting points to discuss and what are spoilers.
Everything, because somehow, after thousands of stories over their lifetime, people still expect to be surprised with the most mundane and overused shit. I'd rather know whether something is worth the time and money, but I can respect people's wishes.

I'm not condemning this thread, Star Wars is still mythical, for some reason, but I still don't get it.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Nightwish wrote:
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:13 pm It'd kinda difficult differentiating what are interesting points to discuss and what are spoilers.
Everything, because somehow, after thousands of stories over their lifetime, people still expect to be surprised with the most mundane and overused shit. I'd rather know whether something is worth the time and money, but I can respect people's wishes.

I'm not condemning this thread, Star Wars is still mythical, for some reason, but I still don't get it.
Impressive. Not a single word you said was right.
Holman

Post by Holman »

msteelers wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 pm Impressive. Not a single word you said was right.
:D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I see what you did there.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

msteelers wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 pm Impressive. Not a single word you said was right.
I laughed, but I'm serious. It's frustrating, because there's too many threads about new things that don't actually have any discussion about the actual content, they just look like Twitter in a forum format. What's the point? We're not going to all like the same things no matter what, so reading one sentence reviews isn't helpful.

But yeah, this isn't the best example thread at all, I get it. Especially since there's the other one. I just felt safer ranting here because I love you guys when I come here.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Just got back. I'm putting it with 4 5 6 ahead of 7. No clue the order and don't care. It felt right. It gave me chills that 7 didn't. Really freaking good.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 pm
Archinerd wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:25 pm Yes, his post was very spoilery... but he DID have it in a spoiler tag. That's better than a majority of the internet.
Spoiler:
and a new
Spoiler:
AT-AT type.

Also,
Spoiler:
FWIW, I went into the movie without having seen any trailers.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Employee at an AMC with sound problems during an early Star Wars Screening and a shitty manager: terrible job, or worst job ever?

Holman

Post by Holman »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 am
Spoiler:
and a new
Spoiler:
AT-AT type.

Also,
Spoiler:
But as a rule and a definition, would you say that details from trailers count as spoilers?

Since the whole point of this non-spoiler thread was to discuss news, speculation, and trailers, wouldn't someone intent on avoiding all prior info just stay completely out of it?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And also, back to Archinerd's comment--Kasey did not have all of his spoilery comments within spoiler tags. That was the problem.

Yes, trailer content counts as a spoiler, IMO. Less egregious than what Kasey did, for sure, but still a spoiler since not everyone watches the trailers. Especially in this case, where we all knew we had multiple forum members who were intentionally avoiding all trailers. For Random Movie X, I'd be less worried about commenting on trailer content.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I assume that a pre-release discussion thread would absolutely dive into the trailers as they appeared. What else is there to talk about?

If you really want no info at all, wouldn't even casting decisions and publicity photos count as spoilers?

Not trying to be snarky. It just seems that "information revealed in the movie itself" is a good spoiler standard. Otherwise we'll need three or four threads set at different restrictions.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:00 am I assume that a pre-release discussion thread would absolutely dive into the trailers as they appeared. What else is there to discuss? The movie's budget?
But... but the budget would give you info as to what size space battles to expect!
If you really want no info at all, wouldn't even casting decisions and publicity photos count as spoilers?
If you really want no info at all, you shouldn't be in the thread. I agree that avoiding all trailer talk would be difficult, but it's also not the end-all of pre-release discussion. That's ridiculous. Like I mentioned in my prior post, I don't think avoiding trailer discussion in a pre-release thread is something to worry about in the general sense. Certain movies, however, call for a little more tact--when we know our fellow participants are actively trying to avoid spoilers. Perhaps discussing them but putting the big moments in spoiler tags pre-release?

In any event, this isn't something I'd lose sleep over. It's not something that everyone will agree on, and it's small potatoes. The original catalyst for this discussion was an actual spoiler, from the movie itself, in the non-spoiler thread, outside of a spoiler tag.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:52 am
wonderpug wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 am
Spoiler:
and a new
Spoiler:
AT-AT type.

Also,
Spoiler:
But as a rule and a definition, would you say that details from trailers count as spoilers?

Since the whole point of this non-spoiler thread was to discuss news, speculation, and trailers, wouldn't someone intent on avoiding all prior info just stay completely out of it?
If I were in charge of the world, trailer-based spoilers would at least have a little "trailer discussion" or "trailer spoilers" warning at the top.

For me it keeps me out of a lot of episodic tv show forum discussions. I go in hoping to discuss the latest episode that just aired and theorize about the next, and then bam "well we know from the trailer that Soandso isn't really dead" or "well from the trailer we know they're going to finally find the MacGuffin."
Holman

Post by Holman »

Agree about the actual spoiler that occurred here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

TV shows definitely have their own problems. As soon as you're a week behind (or watching years later, like I usually do), spoiler risk is high. On the other hand, it's awkward and weird to expect every post to be in tags just in case.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 am And also, back to Archinerd's comment--Kasey did not have all of his spoilery comments within spoiler tags. That was the problem.

Yes, trailer content counts as a spoiler, IMO. Less egregious than what Kasey did, for sure, but still a spoiler since not everyone watches the trailers. Especially in this case, where we all knew we had multiple forum members who were intentionally avoiding all trailers. For Random Movie X, I'd be less worried about commenting on trailer content.

Kasey's spoilers were when I looked. But I get the anger if not.

In regard to trailers as spoilers - I totally think any talk of trailers is spoilers. But it's also my responsibility to avoid that talk - so I let my co-workers know (and they respect it) and I don't come in threads like this until I've seen the movie.
naednek

Post by naednek »

msteelers wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 pm
Nightwish wrote:

Impressive. Not a single word you said was right.
OMG SPOILER :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Holman

Post by Holman »

My kid reports that some punk at school was going around intentionally yelling out major spoilers.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Saw it this weekend. I wouldn't normally go opening weekend, but I knew it would get spoilered and sure enough we went out to eat after the movie and immediately when I sat down I saw something on my phone that spoiled it.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Holman wrote:My kid reports that some punk at school was going around intentionally yelling out major spoilers.
To be fair, if he said
Spoiler:
Snoke died, Luke drank milk from a mutant alien cow’s tit then died, Captain Phasma does nothing and then dies, Yoda came back and destroyed the Jedi temple, BB-8 saves the day by driving an AT-AT, and the movie ends with so many Rebellion dead that all of the good guys can fit on the Millennium Falcon
nobody would believe him.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Glad I'm seeing it tomorrow night so I can quit avoiding the internet entirely.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Not sure what the big deal about spoilers is.. I thought it was pretty obvious that Snoke turned out to be Darth Jar Jar...I mean, it's been obvious since the prequels that Jar Jar has been behind everything.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:24 pm My kid reports that some punk at school was going around intentionally yelling out major spoilers.
Spoiled brat?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Freyland wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:03 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:24 pm My kid reports that some punk at school was going around intentionally yelling out major spoilers.
Spoiled brat?
Yes.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:09 pm
Freyland wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:03 pm
Spoiled brat?
Yes.
Spoiler:
brat.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I came down with this crazy virus a couple of days ago that gave me a fever and confined me to bed. While doped up on various cold medicines and drifting in and out of consciousness as my body fought this unwelcome invader, I came to a startling realization:

THE LAST JEDI softened my hatred for the prequels.

Bear with me.

I've always been a huge critic of the prequels. I don't think I've ever walked out of a movie theater as let down as I did after THE PHANTOM MENACE. Hell, that movie pissed me off so bad I didn't even see ATTACK OF THE CLONES or REVENGE OF THE SITH until 2-3 weeks after release day.

At the time THE PHANTOM MENACE came out, we had been waiting nearly two decades for something Star Wars. We hungered for the nostalgia of the original trilogy. We wanted something that would take us back and make us feel like kids again. Instead we got....trade federations. The backlash was understandable. This wasn't Star Wars! These pristine cities and ruling elite, droid "stormtroopers" and CGI Jar-Jars. This was nothing like our precious trilogy, and we rejected it outright.

But oh how we suffered for that rejection. What would follow in the next decade was an endless litany of Star Wars content *terrified* to take risks. We sat through countless episodes of CLONE WARS and STAR WARS: REBELS rehashing the same old subplots with the same old stereotypes over and over and over. We asked for nostalgia, and boy did we get it. We were given an all-you-can-eat buffet of warmed up leftovers, culminating with the main course - THE FORCE AWAKENS. The pinnacle of derivative fan-service and safe bets.

I went into THE LAST JEDI overstuffed with those reheated table scraps, expecting more of the same. And instead, it bucked the trend. It said, "New generation, new rules. Strap in or get off the bus." It boldly tossed most of the fan service aside and dared to show a Star Wars universe that wasn't a Xerox copy of the Holy Trinity. I was shocked.

So cut back to me lying in bed, wracked by fever, thinking about Star Wars (which is one of my default states, when I'm not thinking about Batman), and I realized...

We had seen a glimpse of this universe before.

A world very un-trilogy like. A world with underwater cities, grand political scheming, and cyborgs wielding lightsabers, For all the flaws - the bad acting, the wooden dialogue, the sluggish plotlines - the prequels did throw out a vision of the Star Wars universe we hadn't seen before. And at the time we looked right past it.

And honestly, I feel like a weight has been lifted. I've suffered for years under the burden of hating something Star Wars, which goes against my nature. And while this realization doesn't excuse those films many flaws, it does allow me to come to peace with them. I think decades from now the prequels will be seen in a much more forgiving light, if nothing else for the technical standards it set (CGI characters, digital photography, CGI sets) that are commonplace now. I'm sure they'll probably always take a back seat to the new trilogy, but I'm not sure the new trilogy would have been possible without them. Because they not only showed us what *not* to do, they gave us a glimpse of that universe outside of the Holy Trinity.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I get what you're saying, and it's good that you're achieved peace, but the issue with the prequels wasn't "taking risks", it was shitty dialogue and wooden characters.

I will say that re-watching the prequels with my daughter, I did appreciate a couple good things about the prequels:

(1) The very beginning of the Phantom Menace is actually pretty good - Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan escaping from the Droid ship;
(2) Darth Maul's lightsaber fighting / choreography is fairly cool
(3) Ewan McGregor actually does a really good acting job with the shitty dialogue he's given

And....that's it.
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Oh, the first 10 minutes of the Phantom Menace were absolutely fantastic and everything I wanted in new Star Wars. The Trade Federation captain going ashen, looking at his subordinate, and saying "you let TWO Jedi on board?" and then seeing them take apart the ship was epic.

It's just that the plot after that was a train wreck.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:45 pm I get what you're saying, and it's good that you're achieved peace, but the issue with the prequels wasn't "taking risks", it was shitty dialogue and wooden characters.

I will say that re-watching the prequels with my daughter, I did appreciate a couple good things about the prequels:

(1) The very beginning of the Phantom Menace is actually pretty good - Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan escaping from the Droid ship;
(2) Darth Maul's lightsaber fighting / choreography is fairly cool
(3) Ewan McGregor actually does a really good acting job with the shitty dialogue he's given

And....that's it.
Jar-Jar.....enough said.

And then the whole Anniken-Princess romance thing. I guess being a pedo isn't illegal in the future, or the past, or whatever it is supposed to be.
Black Lives Matter