Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Post by Skinypupy »

New trailer

Beyond stoked.

And new poster:

Last edited by Skinypupy on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
naednek

Post by naednek »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8s ... ture=share

World Premier Trailer.

Tickets purchased
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote:New trailer

Beyond stoked.
you only beat me because I watched it 3 times already :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I like the poster. Not liking the trailer. Hoping there are some feints in there, to throw off the fans who pore over it all. Not like any trailer is going to stop me from seeing it day 1.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If the first movie was a plot retread of A New Hope, this trailer makes the new movie look like it'll be a complete retread of Empire. Luke = Yoda. Adam Driver = Vader trying to convince Rey to join his side.

I hope I'm wrong...
Black Lives Matter
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If the first movie was a plot retread of A New Hope, this trailer makes the new movie look like it'll be a complete retread of Empire. Luke = Yoda. Adam Driver = Vader trying to convince Rey to join his side.

I hope I'm wrong...
That's the feeling I got too. :(
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont think Disney will ever take a chance and not make a blatant retread.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If the first movie was a plot retread of A New Hope, this trailer makes the new movie look like it'll be a complete retread of Empire. Luke = Yoda. Adam Driver = Vader trying to convince Rey to join his side.

I hope I'm wrong...
Perhaps, but I suspect much of this movie will hinge upon fleshing out more of Snoke's backstory, and what he has planned (perhaps with Benicio del Toro as Thrawn). Hopefully it'll be something more interesting than a mere retread of Palpatine.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

[First impression:]

I've only watched it once, and I hate to say it, but I wasn't stoked.

I'm not going to worry too much about plot elements (although I've thought from the beginning that Rey might go Dark Side).

My real concern is that there isn't any sense of epic sweep, and that's what previews are good at providing. The previews for Ep VII had that it truckloads, but this one feels somehow like an ad for a TV episode.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Based on how much I loved the last two, I’m optimistic that Disney knows how I like my Star Wars, so I trust them to deliver MOTS, here. I have no problem with that.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Daehawk wrote:I dont think Disney will ever take a chance and not make a blatant retread.
Rogue One? :?
-something witty-
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was a little underwhelmed by the trailer. Seemed like a lot of obvious audience fake-outs. Just didn't have the same punch as the Force Awakens trailer, but whether that's because it's inferior or because we've had two new Star Wars movies under our belt at this point and I'm desensitized, I don't know.

Also I'd like to go on record as not liking the Porg because they look like rabbits and I find rabbits creepy.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

How spoilerific is the trailer? I generally don't avoid trailers, but on the fence about whether to view this one since I'm definitely going to see the movie regardless.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

El Guapo wrote:How spoilerific is the trailer? I generally don't avoid trailers, but on the fence about whether to view this one since I'm definitely going to see the movie regardless.
You get to see all the characters, including a snap of a villain you haven't seen before. You see Luke afraid of something he claims he should have been more afraid of before. You see someone planning to finish something terrible they started in the last movie. Aside from that, it's a lot of 3 second shots of space battles, fighting, and scenery.

I don't feel like the movie was spoiled by the trailer, but they certainly wanted to.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote:How spoilerific is the trailer? I generally don't avoid trailers, but on the fence about whether to view this one since I'm definitely going to see the movie regardless.
There are a LOT of hints of how the plot might go, but some of these could be misdirection. At least one of them will be hugely significant, and there's reason to believe it's not a fakeout.

I do feel like someone could make a decent guess at the arc of the movie from this trailer.
Last edited by Holman on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Holman wrote:[First impression:]

I've only watched it once, and I hate to say it, but I wasn't stoked.

I'm not going to worry too much about plot elements (although I've thought from the beginning that Rey might go Dark Side).

My real concern is that there isn't any sense of epic sweep, and that's what previews are good at providing. The previews for Ep VII had that it truckloads, but this one feels somehow like an ad for a TV episode.
Trailer looks like a potential (spoiler only based on people not wanting to see the trailer, not on inside information)
Spoiler:
swap of Rey and Kylo Ren from light to dark and dark to light. Also, Luke didn't exactly look like he was keeping a lid on that famous Skywalker temper, so a potential main character flip, as well. Thought there would be some possible grey jedi-type stuff, but who cares. We got more Star Wars coming!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I went ahead and watched it. Looks interesting. My main hope for this movie is that I just really don't want Luke turning to the dark side - would just ruin the whole point of the OT too much.

The Rey / Kylo Ren dynamic should be interesting, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

My first reaction after watching it (other than 'AWESOME!') was that they gave too much away re: Kylo and mom. Sheesh, everyone knows that had to happen given RL, but did they have to hit us over the head with it? They might as well have put up a flashing sign indicating what he was doing. If THAT one is misdirection, I will be mightily surprised.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

El Guapo wrote:I went ahead and watched it. Looks interesting. My main hope for this movie is that I just really don't want Luke turning to the dark side - would just ruin the whole point of the OT too much.

I read an interview with Mark Hamil, and his reaction was,
Spoiler:
"...after reading Rian Johnson’s script for The Last Jedi, Hamill said, “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to realize your vision.'”
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Hyena wrote:
Spoiler:
"...after reading Rian Johnson’s script for The Last Jedi, Hamill said, “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to realize your vision.'”
Ug, I wish I hadn't read that spoiler :) :shock:
-something witty-
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

There is a lot going on in that trailer and I assume much of it is misdirection.

I can't wait for it to hit the theaters.
Black Lives Matter
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Hyena wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I went ahead and watched it. Looks interesting. My main hope for this movie is that I just really don't want Luke turning to the dark side - would just ruin the whole point of the OT too much.

Spoiler:
Keeping in mind that:
Spoiler:
Hamill has said it would be fun to explore Luke falling to the dark side.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
My first reaction after watching it (other than 'AWESOME!') was that they gave too much away re: Kylo and mom. Sheesh, everyone knows that had to happen given RL, but did they have to hit us over the head with it? They might as well have put up a flashing sign indicating what he was doing. If THAT one is misdirection, I will be mightily surprised.
It looks like Kylo's fighter scene is early in the movie - his scar is bandaged and fresh. We see what he looks like later - at the end of the trailer, his wound is healed. Sources say that Carrie Fisher will have a prominent role in Ep 8, so it's hard to believe they'd kill her off early in the movie. I'm thinking he fails to kill her in that attack.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Holman

Post by Holman »

On misdirection:

I went to see Blade Runner 2049 today, and they were still showing the first Ep VIII trailer.

Some of the same scenes of Rey training with Luke in the new trailer are there too. In the new trailer the music over those bits is ominous; in the old trailer it's uplifting.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Spoiler:
See comments.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not long now.

Im wondering if Luke lives this movie and makes the 3rd I wonder what it will be like for Mark to work on that film with Carrie gone and Harrison not there either on set? I wonder if it would feel kinda empty to him. Sad.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Son and I got our tickets for the 11:10 PM showing on the 14th. Been a while since I did a late late night movie.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Reviews are overwhelmingly positive, currently sitting at 94% at RT. I probably won’t get to see it until next week, but am really looking forward to it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Sunday 7pm IMAX 70mm. Yas Queen!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Tomorrow (Friday) at 7:00 for me! Two of the people I'm going with are dressing up. It will be pretty funny if they're the only ones.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Funny story I think I've told before. My barber's nephew was always a bit of a screw up. Never did well in school. Left college for a few semesters. Eventually he straightens up, graduates, and gets a good job. About a week after he starts his job he calls in sick to see the opening of the Phantom Menace. The next day there is a huge picture of him dressed as a Jedi swinging a lightsaber at a guy dressed as Vader while waiting in line for the movie. He was fired that afternoon.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

9:15 PM tonight for me. Holy crap are there a lot of showings, almost entirely sold out. I predict this film will earn a few dollars by tomorrow.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

Not really a spoiler unless you really care about knowing absolutely zero.
Spoiler:
I read that it's actually a fully original story for Star Wars this time. I still don't care that much anymore, but that might make me go see it.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That guinea pig that's copiloting(?) the Falcon really has me concerned.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

McNutt wrote:That guinea pig that's copiloting(?) the Falcon really has me concerned.
Oh that's just the emergency rations for Chewie.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:22 pm
McNutt wrote:That guinea pig that's copiloting(?) the Falcon really has me concerned.
Actually, that's Chewie's son
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Punisher wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:22 pm
Actually, that's Chewie's son
And he's still going to eat him?!? That's grimmer than Empire Strikes Back!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm going in VERY early Friday. 1st show, in fact.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Tickets Friday night, 6:30pm!