2017 Oscars

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

2017 Oscars

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nominees

And, if you're into Best Picture marathons, there's Regal and AMC to sate your needs
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Re: 2017 Oscars

Post by Skinypupy »

I haven't seen one of the best picture nominees. Hell, I've only even heard of 3 of them.

I did see "Fences" on stage last weekend and it was pretty awesome. Will definitely need to check out Denzel in that role.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Out of the Best Picture Nominees, I've seen 2: Arrival, Hidden Figures. Manchester by The Sea was playing at our local movie festival but I didn't get to go, but I'd heard it was so-so from a friend who did see it. I have a feeling Arrival will pretty much win by a clean-sweep.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
geezer

Post by geezer »

La La Land was fabtastic.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Rumpy wrote:I have a feeling Arrival will pretty much win by a clean-sweep.
Seems unlikely. I would be shocked if La La Land or Manchester by the Sea doesn't win most of the big awards. Or possibly Fences.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Haven't seen any of them either, but not for lack of interest. Arrival, La La Land, Hell or High Water, Manchester By the Sea, and Hidden Figures have all been very high on my "must see" list. It's just hard to get out to the theater with kids, and when we do get out we usually gravitate towards the big can't-miss-on-the-big-screen blockbusters.

There was a time when I saw every nominee well in advance, but alas! Such is life.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Seems unlikely. I would be shocked if La La Land or Manchester by the Sea doesn't win most of the big awards. Or possibly Fences.

You could be right. Manchester does seem like an Oscar darling. I'd heard a lot of praise for it, and it does seem like the kind of movie they usually award.

One thing I'm surprised is that Sully isn't up for more than Sound Editing. I felt it was a strong Oscar contender when I saw it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Heard a lot of good things about Moonlight too
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

For the umpteenth consecutive year, I've seen none of them. I am anxiously anticipating seeing movies in theaters again in 2037.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

They got a few chuckles out of me.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have seen 3 of the Best Picture nominees. That may be a personal record, obviously helped by the expansion of the number of nominees.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Arrival was a good movie, but not Oscar worthy. I really want to see Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea. I really do not want to see Fist Fight.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Manchesta by the Feckin' Sea. :lol:

That and Arrival are the only two that I saw. They were each good in their own way, but I hear La La Land is supposed to run the table. Musicals aren't my thing, but Emma Stone is, so I'll see it on dvd.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Manchesta by the Feckin' Sea. :lol:

That and Arrival are the only two that I saw. They were each good in their own way, but I hear La La Land is supposed to run the table. Musicals aren't my thing, but Emma Stone is, so I'll see it on dvd.
I thought it was Moonlight's year and thricely so because Trump won.

Me, I'd go with Hidden Figures but as usual I haven't seen and haven't had desire to see pretty much anything and also as usual I'm completely out of touch with Hollywood... and people, in general.
mori

Post by mori »

Seen zero of any of the nominees so far but I will in the coming years. Hell or High Water and Manchester by the Sea are the two highest on my list to see.

I wonder what the TV ratings of the Oscars will be this year. Word is out that it is going to be a 3+ hour political statement so people are going to tune out. Be interesting to see how it goes.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Solamente Arrival.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Well that was something.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I thought someone had rushed the stage. At least they let Warren explain it wasn't his fault. Someone is losing their job for that one. How hard is it to hand out envelopes?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Something similar has happened before - 1964 with Sammy Davis, Jr. presenting.
This has happened before, according to our colleague Pete Hammond, in 1964, when Sammy Davis Jr. also got the wrong envelope for two music categories. Regardless, the notice posted at the end of the ABC telecast suggests that PwC has a lot of explaining to do: “The results of all the secret voting are known only to the independent accounting firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers until the sealed envelopes are opened on the air.”
As to how it could have happened.
How could the epic mix-up have happened? This is the thinking: Per Academy rules, accountant PricewaterhouseCoopers has two envelopes (two copies) in its charge for every winner. So when they handed the envelope to Dunaway and Beatty, they were given a second one for previous winner Emma Stone for Best Actress rather than the envelope for Best Picture. That’s why Beatty said onstage by way of explaining the mistake he handed the envelope to Dunaway because he was wondering what was going on. Identical suitcases are posted at either side of the Dolby stage in case presenters enter the stage from opposite sides.
There is a picture of Beatty that has been blow up and it's clear he has a "Best Actress" envelope.
Last edited by stessier on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought he was just extending the moment for drama.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't watch but from what I read it was done on purpose and was staged.

Maybe I was on a fake news site.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

I have not seen any evidence that it was fake. The participants certainly didn't appear to think it was fake.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya there's zero chance that was a gag. They looked horrified.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Seems doubtful that it was fake and would be extremely cruel if so. Plus, Beatty seemed genuinely confused when he first opened the envelope.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Who the heck is saying that it was staged? :?

edit: never mind, I found an article on it. I'm pretty sure that's just a conspiracy theory. There's no way in heck the Academy would allow something like that to happen during the ceremony. And the firm behind the security of the ballots would quickly lose their credibility (though it sounds like that's already happening).
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The Academy Award ceremony is taken very seriously and there is 0% chance that this was staged.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If it were a Jimmy Kimmel prank, as is one conspiracy theory in the article linked above, wouldn't he have pranked Manchester By the Sea (and thus Matt Damon) instead of La La Land?
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The Academy would never, repeat never, do that to Warren Beatty and Fay Dunaway. Also, they would get their asses sued by PWC about three seconds later.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Side note, Mel Gibson and his "wife" was just about the creepiest thing I've ever seen. She's 26 and he's 61. All but like 1 of his kids is older than her. She looked like a scared hostage on the red carpet. :lol:

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Octavious wrote:Side note, Mel Gibson and his "wife" was just about the creepiest thing I've ever seen. She's 26 and he's 61. All but like 1 of his kids is older than her. She looked like a scared hostage on the red carpet. :lol:
Why is wife in quotes? Are they not really married? An older famous/successful/rich man with a younger woman. I'm shocked! Who ever heard of such a thing?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

McNutt wrote:The Academy Award ceremony is taken very seriously and there is 0% chance that this was staged.
+1.

Zero chance. Unless someone with actual malicious intent got access somehow. No way this was someone trying to be funny.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just looked up a picture. Yeah, she looks like the daughter he had late in life.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote:
Octavious wrote:Side note, Mel Gibson and his "wife" was just about the creepiest thing I've ever seen. She's 26 and he's 61. All but like 1 of his kids is older than her. She looked like a scared hostage on the red carpet. :lol:
Why is wife in quotes? Are they not really married? An older famous/successful/rich man with a younger woman. I'm shocked! Who ever heard of such a thing?
They're not actually married.

Oh, and she just gave birth to his ninth child in January. He and Rosalind Ross have been together for two years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yes it's not totally shocking or anything, but with his history it amps up the puke scale a billion times. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

McNutt wrote:I just looked up a picture. Yeah, she looks like the daughter he had late in life.
He's still a good looking guy, which is impressive at his age. You can almost see the crazy if you look into his eyes, though.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

This is the first Oscars I've watched end-to-end. We tuned in for the tail end of the red carpet event and MHS commented on her body language. She was very uncomfortable on the red carpet -- hard to say whether it was knowing the number of viewers at the time or if for some other reason. It made me pretty uncomfortable though.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Giving birth five weeks ago, then being shoehorned into a fancy dress and paraded in front of millions would probably give most of us some self-conscious feeling.