OctoCon XX - April 21 and 22, Chicago, IL

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

OctoCon XX - April 21 and 22, Chicago, IL

Post by hentzau »

Enlarge Image

What: OctoCon XX

When: Friday, April 21st, 1 PM to Midnight and Saturday, April 22nd, 9 AM to Midnight

Where: United In Faith Church, 6525 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL

Who: OOers, spouses, friends, whoever!

Why?: Let's play some games!

The Facilities:

I have acquired the use of the fellowship hall and lounge of my church for us to use for a gaming day. Cost of using said room is whatever donation you care to make. (Note that this is NOT mandatory, just if you feel like donating, donate!)

The church is a converted printing plant, so the main fellowship hall is inside of the main plant space. It is large and roomy and doesn't look very church like (except for the statue of Jesus that will be staring out at the room the whole time. Hoping this might deter cheating.) We will have access to over a dozen 4X8 tables, and more could be grabbed if needed. It is totally handicap accessable. There is a soda machine in the fellowship hall that we are free to use. There is also a kitchen that is part of the hall, we should be able to use the refrigerator there for soda and snacks.

The lounge is right off of the fellowship hall, with couches and places to relax if you are not playing a game at the time. There is a 35" TV in there, so if someone so desired we could have video games running in there during the down times as well.

Food:

There are a number of restaurants in the area. Across the street is a Burger King, a Subway, a Dunkin Donuts, and a chinese fast food restaurant. Down the street is a gyros/hot dog place, a typical Chicago corner greek restaurant, a bar, and another Chinese place (non-fast food). The new official favorite restaurant of OctoCon is now The Jolly Inn, right next door. It's a polish all you can eat buffet, and comes highly recommended by those that have eaten there.

There are two grocery stores right by the church; a large chain store, and a smaller Polish market, for your junk food needs. You can bring your own munchies and soda in with you.

We will do our usual Friday night pizza buy in...probably going up to about $7 a person (bring singles!!!). We'll get a bunch of Chicago style pizzas from Giordanos.

I would provide 3-4 dozen donuts and coffee for breakfast in the morning, on a first come first serve basis. Everyone would be responsible for their own lunch, but we have a wide selection. It seems like nobody stops playing for dinner, so we play that by ear too.

We always have a snack table, where everyone brings community munchies, as well as a few coolers of soda.

Alcohol:

No alcohol in the church for insurance reasons. Sorry. Regardless, there are a number of neighborhood-style bars and pubs around the church.

Lodging:

The closest motel is the LP Motel, 4605 N Harlem Ave, Harwood Heights. This motel is about 5 minutes from the church. Number for the motel is (708) 457-0600. No guarantees about quality, it looks pretty beat up and run down from the outside.

Another option is the Motel 6 at 9408 Lawrence Ave in Schiller Park. Disadvantage is that it is more like 15-20 minutes from the church. If I were coming here and didn't want to stay in a fancier hotel, that would be my first choice. Phone number is (847) 671-4282.

ThatSteveGuy and Kristie have stayed at the Aloft Hotel in nearby Rosemont and have recommended it highly.

Otherwise, lots of hotel choices all very close because we are near O'Hare. Just look at Google Maps or your other favorite hotel site.

Roll Call:

Confirmed:

Hentzau (and Friends)
Joe
Archinerd
Zarathud

Tentative:

LordMortis
Last edited by hentzau on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jeff V

Re: OctoCon XX - April 21 and 22, Chicago, IL (tentative)

Post by Jeff V »

We drove past there last week on our way to the new, massive Filipino supermarket that opened at Elston and 94. I was thinking I could get dropped off there for a few hours while the wife takes the kids there -- lines at all of the restaurants there are still a mile long. The only catch is my wife works every other weekend.

I projected her schedule into April. She works that weekend. :x

edit: might still be possible. Wife is certain her schedule is going to change, maybe as soon as next week as it seems her month as a trainee is ending about 3 weeks early and she assumes her permanent role.
Last edited by Jeff V on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Things are looking so-so. My boss is already on vacation that week and we're not supposed to be out of the office at the same time. Discussion pending....
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Put me down for a 'yes'.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll be there.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Re: OctoCon XX - April 21 and 22, Chicago, IL

Post by hentzau »

Date is confirmed.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Moving ThatSteveGuy and Kristie off of the attendee list (and Tim too, for that matter.) Steve had a minor heart attack over the weekend, and is looking at quadruple bypass surgery this week. :(
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sorry to hear it. Best of luck and wishes to him, family and friends.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

hentzau wrote:Moving ThatSteveGuy and Kristie off of the attendee list (and Tim too, for that matter.) Steve had a minor heart attack over the weekend, and is looking at quadruple bypass surgery this week. :(
I hope the surgery goes well. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, I hope Steve recovers quickly! :cry:
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ugh. Be well and be strong, Steve.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We'll miss you, Steve, but hopefully not for long! Rest and get well for the next Octocon.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Hope surgery goes well, get better Steve.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ouch - g'luck and get well Steve!

I won't make this one, on call plus just spent a ton of money (new PC and significant car repairs). Hopeful money will be better and I can be not on-call in the fall.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Thanks for your well wishes, guys. I'll pass them along to Steve.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

But he has 2 months to recover! He ought to be running ultra-marathons again by then!
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

They ended up not doing surgery, he wasn't a good candidate for it, so they decided to bring in the "A" team for catheters and stents. They put in 4 stents, and are planning on doing another 2 in a few months after he recovers some. But last I heard he's feeling good (first time without chest pain since he had the attack) and is at home recovering now.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Got some good news yesterday about the Fellowship Hall. They just went through and replaced all of the fluorescent bulbs with LED lamps. According to my wife, the room is MUCH brighter now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will dress accordingly.
He won. Period.

Post by Default »

Oh crap! I actually have that Saturday off, and can get Friday off easily.

:ninja:
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote:I will dress accordingly.
Capris pants and a sun bonnet?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't be silly. MC Hammer pants and suspenders with no shirt.
He won. Period.

Post by Default »

hepcat wrote:Don't be silly. MC Hammer pants and suspenders with no shirt.
Can anyone say "nipple chafing"?

Anyone? No?
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I'm going to see about going. Maybe if we plan far enough out we can make it happen this time.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

When I retire I am going to come to one of these things but that's a couple years off right now :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

High noon for the gunslingers!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Any hope of my wife taking the kid to the child prison down the street for a few hours was dashed yesterday when the loan officer suggested we could close on a mortgage that week. My weekends from now until the move is complete and our current house turned back over to our landlord will consist of boxing, moving, cleaning, and shopping. A party has been declared for July so everything must be presentable by then.
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, we're getting close. Two weeks away. Going to need this big time!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So Default, you definitely going to make it in for this?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

LordMortis wrote:Things are looking so-so. My boss is already on vacation that week and we're not supposed to be out of the office at the same time. Discussion pending....
Ah the golden days of yesteryear when LM, RW, bb2112, redrun, and I would try to cram 5 people and their overnight bags into one little car.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis

Post by Default »

hentzau wrote:So Default, you definitely going to make it in for this?
Looking like it might be a road trip, yah mon.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Default wrote:
hentzau wrote:So Default, you definitely going to make it in for this?
Looking like it might be a road trip, yah mon.
Excellent. PM me if you need any detailed directions, instructions, etc.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Things are looking so-so. My boss is already on vacation that week and we're not supposed to be out of the office at the same time. Discussion pending....
Ah the golden days of yesteryear when LM, RW, bb2112, redrun, and I would try to cram 5 people and their overnight bags into one little car.
Sigh. Good times.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Remus West wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:
Sigh. Good times.
Admit it. You've outgrown me. :cry:
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

*I* haven't. Stupid adulting friends.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Child for life!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm really in a miniatures playing mood right now. I watched Rogue One last night again and I'm thinking about breaking out all of my SW minis and the old West End SW Miniatures Battles game. Definitely going to have Zenda out again, but may be trying a new rule set called Desperado.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

You just keep scheduling these things during volleyball seasons when I have little to no time with the wife and daughter. They win over gaming. They certainly win out over 5 hours in the car with CR and LM after a full day of gaming and little to no bathing. :shock:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am clean! I am a child for life and I am clean! Now as to whether or not my Crone's stays under control...