King Arthur. Swords! Magic! Zeppelin!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jag

King Arthur. Swords! Magic! Zeppelin!

Post by Jag »

KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD

One day someone will make a King Arthur Movie worthy of Excalibur. Today is not that day.
Daehawk

Re: King Arthur. Swords! Magic! Zeppelin!

Post by Daehawk »

Will never happen.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder why Eric Bana isn't a bigger star. I mean, the guy was amazing in Chopper.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hmmm, I dunno. Many years ago I read a lot of different takes on the Arthur legend. This doesn't look like it's up to any of them, but we'll see how the reviews look.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jude Law? Does he owe someone money?

Arthur is not Michael Bay. Arthur is T.H. White.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Guy Ritchie is no Michael Bay, thats for sure. I also understand that they are making a action adventure film and not a historical treatise, so Im willing to give it chance.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Jax Teller is English isn't he?

He sounds like..Jax Teller.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I tend to like most things Guy Ritchie does, and thought his Sherlock Holmes films were a blast. This looks like it might be some mindless fun in that same vein.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Saw the trailer on TV last night which made no sense. Still have no idea what the movie is about. Looks like they just made a fantasy/action fairy tale for the sake of fancy sets and SFX, and used just enough existing lore to call it King Arthur. I predict a big-budget flop.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote:I tend to like most things Guy Ritchie does, and thought his Sherlock Holmes films were a blast. This looks like it might be some mindless fun in that same vein.
That's my take as well.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Redfive wrote:Jax Teller is English isn't he?

He sounds like..Jax Teller.
It will be a treat to hear him calling a vote at the Round Table for a visit from Mr. Mayhem.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

Post by Default »

Severely disappointed in the dearth of lighter-than-air vehicles.

Hardly worth seeing, imho.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also was looking for dirigibles in the trailer. :oops:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Was watching the DC show Legends of Tomorrow last night with my son and they went back in time to a fictitious Camelot. When my son asked what was Camelot and who was Merlin, I realized I need to educate him. I don't think he's ready for Excalibur yet and he would never watch Sword in the Stone.

So what are some good King Arthur movies for a teen?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's a 2008 series, Merlin. I have not seen it, so I can not vouch for it. Wiki suggests that it's Smallville for the Arthur set. It's available on Netflix.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jag wrote:Was watching the DC show Legends of Tomorrow last night with my son and they went back in time to a fictitious Camelot. When my son asked what was Camelot and who was Merlin, I realized I need to educate him. I don't think he's ready for Excalibur yet and he would never watch Sword in the Stone.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Seriously.

Of course my parents actually took me to Excalibur when it came out. (They had no idea about That Scene.) I was twelve, and it was awesome.

For books, though, I'm all about T.H. White's The Once and Future King. Disney's Sword in the Stone took just the first quarter of the novel and made it a kid's show, but most of it is so so much more than that.
Last edited by Holman on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Jag wrote:Was watching the DC show Legends of Tomorrow last night with my son and they went back in time to a fictitious Camelot. When my son asked what was Camelot and who was Merlin, I realized I need to educate him. I don't think he's ready for Excalibur yet and he would never watch Sword in the Stone.

Give him The Once and Future King to read?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Of course T.H. white is putting a modern stylistic and satiric spin on the story, so it's not a pure introduction to the basic myths. The classic source for that would be Thomas Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur, which at its full length would not be the most enjoyable read for a teen. Maybe just use excerpts from that? Most editions will probably make it easy to find the most important parts.

I just did a cursory search and didn't find a good straight-up retelling of the Arthur myths for a teenage reader. (There's a lot of stuff for younger kids and a number of YA re-imaginings.)
morlac

Post by morlac »

TheMix wrote:

Give him The Once and Future King to read?

Bingo!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I saw Excalibur at age 11 or so and I was a huge Arthur fanatic for many many years.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I honestly don't think he'll understand any of Excalibur and I have to be careful with the books I suggest because he reads, but he's not an avid reader. I'm feeding him a steady diet of light YA fantasy which he seems to like well enough, but he's not ready for anything stronger yet.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

The clive owen reimagining is fun, first knight is more a fairy tale rendition and has Connery and lots of fights, does he like old musicals? Camelot
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I like the cast. Could be a fun action movie.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

gilraen wrote:I predict a big-budget flop.
Well, I called it...

Box-Office Bomb: 'King Arthur' Limps Toward $14M Debut Behind 'Snatched'
Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow's King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is a flop of epic proportions. The movie opened to an estimated $5.3 million Friday from 3,702 locations for a projected $14.5 million weekend after costing $175 million to make before a major marketing spend. It also appears to be falling on its sword overseas, where it only grossed $6.8 million on Friday from 51 markets for an early three-day foreign total of $11.6 million. In China, it opened to a mere $1.8 million to place No. 3.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

big ouchie
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I prefer the musical, C'est Moi! :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc5NPVWd1CI
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The release timing probably wasnt the best as it is up against GOTG 2 early in its run. That being said maybe there just isn't a big call for Arthurian fantasy these days.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm a big fan of Arthurian legend and Excalibur is my favorite movie. However, I have no interest in this film. It's like King Arthur for the Fast and Furious generation.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Your best bet would likely be The Resistance: Avalon game, which provides a vastly superior and more entertaining means of learning the fundamentals of Arthurian legend than most books and movies. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's basically a social deduction game that plays like an Arthurian version of Mafia/Werewolf, but without the need of a moderator.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

gilraen wrote:Saw the trailer on TV last night which made no sense. Still have no idea what the movie is about. Looks like they just made a fantasy/action fairy tale for the sake of fancy sets and SFX, and used just enough existing lore to call it King Arthur. I predict a big-budget flop.

I liked the King Arthur story in general, I liked the Disney cartoon, and love Excalibur, but I got the same impression you did from the trailers and such.

What's this about and why should I care? I just didn't see anything worthwhile in all their lead up to the movie. If they were banking on "It's King Arthur, what more do you need!" then they screwed up. I've seen Excalibur, what does this movie bring to the table? That's what they should have promoted, assuming this movie brings anything to the table.

One other thing, and this is just a personal preference, is that I think Excalibur did the right thing in making the story beautiful to look at. Boorman could do visuals and he was peaking with Excalibur. The trailer for this new King Arthur movie has a standard post-LOTR action fantasy look, it couldn't make this movie look more generic if it tried. That kills a lot of the potential joy right there.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I always lived how Boorman had these big battles with armies of knights fighting each other when there was never more than a handful of people on the screen at once. He certainly knew how to make more from less.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Your best bet would likely be The Resistance: Avalon game, which provides a vastly superior and more entertaining means of learning the fundamentals of Arthurian legend than most books and movies.
Other than the names of a few people in the stories and the general who is good/bad, how does Avalon teach about the Arthurian legends? Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game for people that like social deduction, I just don't know that there's more than the bare minimum of educational value in the game.
Last edited by Ralph-Wiggum on Mon May 15, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Was having this discussion with some friends about good Arthurian movies, and it was amazing how hard it was to come up with a recommendation other than Excalibur. The second recommendation was Camelot, followed by The Sword in the Stone. I have vague memories of both Knights of the Round Table (1953) and Prince Valiant (1954) but not enough to recommend.

Oh, and as far as games? I would totally recommend Shadows Over Camelot before The Resistance:Avalon. Very fun co-op game that you can play with a traitor thrown in.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had always been told that Le Morte d'Arthur was essential reading for Arthurian legend, but I skipped that and went straight to a Cliff's Notes style source.

He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Morte D'Arthur is pretty out there. Lots and lots of killing with heroes chopping down dozens of knights in a battle. I read it in college and it was no t what I was expecting.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You wanted more Zeppelins?
He won. Period.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Your best bet would likely be The Resistance: Avalon game, which provides a vastly superior and more entertaining means of learning the fundamentals of Arthurian legend than most books and movies.
Other than the names of a few people in the stories and the general who is good/bad, how does Avalon teach about the Arthurian legends? Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game for people that like social deduction, I just don't know that there's more than the bare minimum of educational value in the game.
I wasn't suggesting it as a comprehensive treatise on the subject. But for a teen completely unfamiliar with the subject, I think the game provides an entertaining and engaging introduction to many of the fundamental characters and tropes of the tale. Come to think of it though, I do think hentzau's suggestion of Shadows over Camelot may be even better. The point being though, with the Excalibur movie out of the question, I think games may offer a more approachable way of introducing the basics of the tale to a teen.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:You wanted more Zeppelins?
Isgrimnur wrote:It's no Three Musketeers.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It made Tarantino's list of top 10 movies of 2012!
The A.V. Club also was puzzled, but smartly noted that QT “probably has some very long, arcane explanation as to why” he chose “Musketeers.” That’s a good bet considering that Tarantino probably has a very long, arcane explanation as to why he chose to eat lentil soup for lunch today.
He won. Period.