[movie] Thor - Ragnarok

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: [movie] Thor - Ragnarok

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jag wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:49 pm I need to watch more stuff from the director, Taika Waititi. Love his brand of kiwi humor.
What We Do in the Shadows, currently available to Amazon Prime viewers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and it's absolutely, brilliantly hysterical.
He won. Period.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:52 pm
Jag wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:49 pm I need to watch more stuff from the director, Taika Waititi. Love his brand of kiwi humor.
What We Do in the Shadows, currently available to Amazon Prime viewers.
I saw that and watching it now. Pretty funny.

This week's Empire Podcast has a good interview with the director as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Vladislav's explanation as to why vampires preferred virgin blood had me laughing for days.
He won. Period.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently he directed a few episodes of Flight of the Conchords.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jag

Post by Jag »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:04 pm
Apparently he directed a few episodes of Flight of the Conchords.
That's also now on my playlist, especially since I loved Jemaine Clement in Legion and Dinner for Schmucks.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Actually got to see this last night. If my mother in law comes back (she leaves next week) we might actually get to see movies regularly, at least until the theater closes. Discount Tuesday, $14.50 for both of us including popcorn and a bottle of water, and we were the first to arrive, 15 minutes for an 8 pm show. I counted 15 people total, and none made a sound. For a major release opening week at prime time.
Spoiler:
There was an early joke that in hindsight came off inn very bad taste given the events of last weekend (I'm not blaming the producers, it's just unfortunate). I forget the character's name...Heimdal's skinhead sub, was flirting with some girls and bragging about his AR-15's from Texas that he named "Dee" and "Stroy."

Unfortunately for me, the humor never rose above "silly;" after reading this thread I was expecting better.

I do wish the Hulk/Fenrir battle was less of a side show, but Hulk' s presence was a reach anyway. My wife liked it, but got memorized by a shirtless Thor and felt the need to comment on it afterward. Now I need to become a muscle-headed meat bag, thanks a lot, Thor.

Thor was one of the few comics I read as an infant during the brief period I was into such things. His transformation into Odin was rather unexpected.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You should feel good that shirtless Thor will never forget your wife.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:48 pm You should feel good that shirtless Thor will never forget your wife.
She agreed he resembled the Lapu Lapu statue near Cebu. The one I told her I modeled for back when I had long hair. :D
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 pm
Spoiler:
There was an early joke that in hindsight came off inn very bad taste given the events of last weekend (I'm not blaming the producers, it's just unfortunate). I forget the character's name...Heimdal's skinhead sub, was flirting with some girls and bragging about his AR-15's from Texas that he named "Dee" and "Stroy."
Spoiler:
It is Skurge, played by Karl Urban. And the names were Dez and Troy. I know because it plays well in Texas because of Dez Bryant and Troy Aikman.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

OK, that does make it a little funnier of a joke, although the timing is still unfortunate.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We went last night. I thought the heightened comedy would bother me, but I ended up loving it. I think it's because as a DC fan I've always viewed Marvel as kind of goofy (and I'm sure the reverse is true of Marvel fans), so the tone worked for me.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Just got back from an IMAX 2d viewing. We loved it! The comedy worked for me, even though it is a big departure from earlier versions of Thor.

Easily the funniest marvel movie, but in terms of overall standing I would have it in the middle of the pack. I still prefer Guardians. Thor is funnier, but doesn’t tug on the emotional heartstrings as well as Guardians does.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Marvel has a knack of making movies with genocidal, apocalyptic stakes fun and entertaining. I enjoyed most of the humor but
Spoiler:
Loki's reactions to the Hulk and his rag doll thumping of Thor
had me laughing my ass off. Hopefully, DC has learned something and Justice League will be more like this and less like BvS. I have no problem with dark movies but they need a balance of humor that DC tends to miss.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

rshetts2 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:05 amHopefully, DC has learned something and Justice League will be more like this and less like BvS. I have no problem with dark movies but they need a balance of humor that DC tends to miss.
I wouldn't hold your breath. DC went all in on the dark movies. By the time they realized that they weren't resonating with audiences the way Marvel was, it was too late. Zach Snyder stepped away from Justice League during post-production, and Joss Whedon was brought in to finish. I know they did extensive reshoots, but there's only so much that can be done. I expect Justice League to be a little bit more fun, but I'm not expecting much from it. There's also the risk that it is choppy. I can't think of many good movies that had two directors.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Went and saw this with Mrs. Kub and we both had a fantastic time - great blockbuster superhero popcorn flick!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

As noted previously, I loved this movie, but there was one big exception due to something that was handled poorly:
Spoiler:
Thor's great life long friends were wiped out almost without even a fare the well. Hela appears and takes two of them out in mere seconds, BOOM. The third gets a little more time than that. And of course, Lady Siff doesn't even appear. And just as bad, Thor takes no notice of this, no anger at Hela, no call for revenge, no nothing, as if they never even existed. Bad on Marvel for this :(
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm As noted previously, I loved this movie, but there was one big exception due to something that was handled poorly:
Spoiler:
Thor's great life long friends were wiped out almost without even a fare the well. Hela appears and takes two of them out in mere seconds, BOOM. The third gets a little more time than that. And of course, Lady Siff doesn't even appear. And just as bad, Thor takes no notice of this, no anger at Hela, no call for revenge, no nothing, as if they never even existed. Bad on Marvel for this :(
Yeah, this really bugged me too.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, I had the same thought after the film. It was an odd story point.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

But how would Thor know any of that happened?
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Asgard Tribune?
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It bothered me too that they died without any fanfare whatsoever. They weren’t my favorite characters, but they deserved better than that.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:07 am The Asgard Tribune?
:lol:

But really, sometimes what are perceived as plot issues really aren't. If Thor has no way of knowing what happened, how can he address it?
Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

pr0ner wrote:

But really, sometimes what are perceived as plot issues really aren't. If Thor has no way of knowing what happened, how can he address it?
I feel like at some point he would be asking around about them, and Heimdall would tell him what happened. Certainly by the time that all remaining Asgardians are on the ship at the end he must know they are gone.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Not Thor. He's incredibly self-centered even in Norse legends.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

msteelers wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:31 am It bothered me too that they died without any fanfare whatsoever. They weren’t my favorite characters, but they deserved better than that.
Spoiler:
Back when I was a young lad and read comics until the covers fell off, I used to love the Warriors Three when they would show up in the comics. Plus, as a fan of Zach Levy, I was hoping he would get some quality screen time. And I'm spoilering this because I am coming right out and saying who it was that died.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:38 am Not Thor. He's incredibly self-centered even in Norse legends.
This is very true.
Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 am
Zarathud wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:38 am Not Thor. He's incredibly self-centered even in Norse legends.
This is very true.
I don't think it's all that true of the Thor we've seen on screen though. His character arc has very clearly moved him from a self-centered god to a selfless king.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msteelers wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:52 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 am
This is very true.
I don't think it's all that true of the Thor we've seen on screen though. His character arc has very clearly moved him from a self-centered god to a selfless king.
I wouldn't consider Marvel's on screen version of Thor to be a selfless king, personally.
Hodor.
DD*

Post by DD* »

hentzau wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 pm
Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm As noted previously, I loved this movie, but there was one big exception due to something that was handled poorly:
Spoiler:
Yeah, this really bugged me too.
Bothered me as much as:
Spoiler:
The moment in SW: The Force Awakens when Chewy - the wookie with a life-debt to Han, his oldest friend and comrade - walks right past Leia without any attempt to even acknowledge Han's death. Was really, really out of place - so much so that I wondered if Lucas snuck in to direct just that scene...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

msteelers wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am
pr0ner wrote:

I feel like at some point he would be asking around about them, and Heimdall would tell him what happened. Certainly by the time that all remaining Asgardians are on the ship at the end he must know they are gone.
Well, the mad dash to the ship was pretty hectic and we don't know the time frame from the ship taking off the the ship meeting the other ship at the end.. Plus, did hiemdall actually see them? Doesn't he have to actively be looking for something?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

My son and I saw this last night. Neither of us are Thor fans, and thought the first two were just OK, but we loved this one. The humor was a perfect fit. Still not a fan of the Hulk either but he worked in this movie.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Finally saw this today with my wife. Absolutely fantastic. By far the best Thor movie and among the best Marvel movies for me. Just completely bad ass in every way along with being completely hilarious.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I went out and saw this Saturday with my 9 year old son and we both enjoyed it.

His favorite scene...
Spoiler:
Banner flying the stolen orgy ship, desperate for a weapon, and mashes the fireworks button. The confused look on the face of the woman chasing his ship made him laugh.
I didn't have a favorite scene, but god a good laugh out of a lot of pieces of it.
Spoiler:
  • Matt Damon's cameo
  • Loki having left Odin at Shady Pines
  • Loki standing up during the arena match "THAT's how it feels!"
  • Banner jumps out of a ship to save the day, sans parachute
  • "Sparkles"
  • "Another day, another Doug"
Just a lot of fun in this one. It felt less serious than the other Thor movies, and more organic.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

When Banner slammed into that bridge I chuckled quite a bit.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I also caught Thor over the weekend. It was delightful, light, and weird. If this had come out before Guardians of the Galaxy, it would be a revelation, but "goofy space comedy" is now firmly in Marvel's wheelhouse.

I'm mildly disappointed that the movie didn't capture the epic feel of the 80s comics, despite borrowing a few characters and classic moments. But to be fair, the movie is very much its own story, with a completely different tone and clever resolution.

2017 turned out to be the year of the light Marvel movie: GotG2, Spider-Man, and Thor. A palate-cleanser before Thanos kills everyone next year?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 amA palate-cleanser before Thanos kills everyone next year?
Or Deadpool steals the gauntlet, resets the MCU, and we get a whole new roster of characters and adventures.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:20 am When Banner slammed into that bridge I chuckled quite a bit.
So we finally saw the movie last night. I will admit to thinking it was all most too much humor, but it is hard to complain when 99% of it works. And the scene noted above, brought great laughter from the entire theater.

As noted above I was also a little disturbed by the quick deaths of the "Warriors Three".

And of course I left the theater wondering if I had Thor's Led Zep theme at home. I don't think I have that CD. Damn.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I love humor when it's done well, like with most of Thor: Ragnarok and especially with Korg. When the humor just isn't funny it kills the movie even when it's not as prevalent as it was in Thor.

This was lighthearted and a nice break from some of the more serious comic movies I've seen. It reminds me of Star Trek: The Voyage Home which emphasized humor and really worked.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm I love humor when it's done well, like with most of Thor: Ragnarok and especially with Korg. When the humor just isn't funny it kills the movie even when it's not as prevalent as it was in Thor.
i thought the tone shift was jarring - it killed the movie for me. (and this is from someone who liked _What We Do In The Shadows_)