[movie] Thor - Ragnarok

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: [movie] Thor - Ragnarok

Post by msteelers »

Great trailer. I'm more excited for this than any other marvel movie right now.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

It is taking all of my self-control to avoid watching that trailer over and over again.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Really looks good. Seems like there will be plenty of humor too - "oh no, I won handily." :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Not sure I like Hulk talking.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

stimpy wrote:Not sure I like Hulk talking.
He's had the ability to talk on and off in the comics. I'm curious whether they have an explanation for why he suddenly speaks, or if that's just something he does now.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

He already spoke in Avengers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsUCRcK7QYc
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Yeah, but that's just two words. He's having a full conversation in the Thor trailer.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

This movie just keeps looking more and more awesome. I thought there was a progression with Hulk. First, he's just an out of control alter ego. Then Banner sort of makes peace with it, denoted by the 'i'm always angry' admission. That's why he gets to the point he can fight with the team.

So, then, if you consider where they're going with that, I think him talking is the next step. Now he can not only fight with the team but talk strategy and tactics with them. It makes the character far more interesting to me.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Surprised there hasn't been more discussion lately about this flick, what with all the trailers and it coming out so soon. The trailers look great and with 81 reviews in, this is sitting at 98% for Rotten Tomatoes, ranking it as one of, it not the best rated superhero movie ever. I'm getting pretty excited based upon what I've seen and the great reviews.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:shhh: You're ruining our media blackout.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've been avoiding trailers since the first one. It's pretty hard to do since they are showing trailers on TV all the time now.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Grifman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:36 pm Surprised there hasn't been more discussion lately about this flick, what with all the trailers and it coming out so soon. The trailers look great and with 81 reviews in, this is sitting at 98% for Rotten Tomatoes, ranking it as one of, it not the best rated superhero movie ever. I'm getting pretty excited based upon what I've seen and the great reviews.
I watched it two days ago. For me this is the best Thor movie. I also think this is better than most Marvel movie, the feel is like the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. It is even more comedy than the first GotG.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This opened last night. For some reason, my nearby theater has showings at 8am and 8:45am. I've never seen them do that before. :shock:
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have tickets with the kids for a Sunday afternoon matinee. I've been doing my best to avoid the trailers, etc.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm going to pay off your youngest and take his place Sunday. I'll call you daddy the whole time.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I had a thor regnarok a couple of weeks ago but a little Preparation H cleared it right up.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

tgb wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:44 pm I had a thor regnarok a couple of weeks ago but a little Preparation H cleared it right up.
I'm surprised that worked, frankly, that's some pretty nasty stuff.

Going to see this tonight, should be fun.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Seeing this at 7 tonight. Woot!
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:35 amI watched it two days ago. For me this is the best Thor movie.
Talk about setting a low bar...
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:35 am I also think this is better than most Marvel movie, the feel is like the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. It is even more comedy than the first GotG.
OK, bar raised.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked the first Thor movie. It focused on characters instead of action for much of the film. Boring for some, I imagine. But I appreciated the thoughtful approach it took to an admittedly cliched origin story.

The second one was okay, but the only real selling point for it was Hiddleston's performance.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I enjoyed both of the Thor movies quite a bit. But I'm an easy sell on Thor. I've always been a fan.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just came out of Dolby ATMOS showing (but regular 2D) It costs as much as IMAX, but I get recliner seats. ;)

It's a fun movie, and it's basically a "fish out of water" story told very very well. It's a load of fun, esp. with all the in-jokes and wink-nudge bits, esp. with call-backs to the first movie.
Spoiler:
"Yes! That's what it feels like!"
:clap: :shifty: :whistle:
Oh, and there is an explanation for the mid-credit tease.
Spoiler:
The name of that BIG ship is Sanctuary II
Don't you get it?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

About your callback:
Spoiler:
That refers to The Avengers, not Thor
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:29 pm I liked the first Thor movie. It focused on characters instead of action for much of the film.
I saw the first one in the Philippines, it was out in theaters there a week or two before here.

Now that my mother in law is about to return to the Philippines, we discovered that the theater near us has discount Tuesdays. We saw The Foreigner a few weeks ago, along with about 5 other people. This was a 7:30 showing, most of the popular movies started at 9-9:30, too late for a work night. When we left though, there was maybe 3 cars in the parking lot. Seems their discount Tuesdays isn't working that well.

This Tuesday will be the last chance for us to see a movie until she returns late January or February. not sure if this movie is playing or what time.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait...are you trying to get me to take your mother in law to this movie? :?

Anyway...

Saw it Saturday afternoon. Did I enjoy it? Yes, a great deal. However, I can understand why a few fans are a little annoyed with it. It’s almost as if Marvel has taken the success of Guardians of the Galaxy and decided to bring full on comedy to everything now. While fun, I do hope they strike a better balance in the Avengers Infinity War entries.

Also, I think the richest person in the universe is the one who makes collapsible weapons. I don’t think there were more than two or three fight scenes that didn’t include someone dramatically extending one.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Seeing this in 3 hours. Stoked.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can you pick up Jeff’s mother in law on the way?
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Will try.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Saw it tonight. Good, not great. Agree with comments that they forced a joke into every scene, including a number of them that should have been played straight. Better than Thor 2, on par with Thor 1 (IMHO). Full disclosure, Thor and Cap are my fav Avengers.

And the Black Panther trailer we saw was seriously badass!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I put my head down for Star Wars and Black Panther trailers. I have no need to see them advertised.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Very fun movie, 15 out of 10 on the fun factor, didn't feel an jokes were forced at all. A nice twist from the regular Marvel typo movie, GOTG excepted. This was even more fun than any of those two movies.

Though this made no sense:
Spoiler:
The whole thing with abandoning Asgard made no sense, unless Asgard was populated by a few hundred people. Millions of people should be living in Asgard and one ship would not be able load them all. And Thor's spaceship could find the people hiding out via a scanner but Hela couldn't? This part of the movie was not well thought out, and it is the only thing that keeps nagging at me unless I totally turn off my brain.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My theory on that:
Spoiler:
Aren't all Asgardians long lived...like thousands and thousands of years long lived? As such, I suspect their birth rate is very, very low (either by plan or by nature) as otherwise they'd have expanded out to all of the nine realms by now. Also, I believe Hella took a lot of them off screen. But I think the best answer is that they didn't have the budget to show millions, perhaps billions of people in exodus. :wink:
He won. Period.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Saw this over the weekend. Loved it. Great dialogue, fun action. 10/10 Jeff Goldblums.
Spoiler:
+ Thor chucking random stuff at Loki all the time.
+ The neck zapper thing.
+ Conversations with the Hulk.
+ "Devil's Anus"
+ "Don't touch anything."
- But now we no longer have a hook (hammer?) for Thor and the other Avengers to have a "you're not worthy" conversation. :(
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:59 am My theory on that:
Spoiler:
Aren't all Asgardians long lived...like thousands and thousands of years long lived? As such, I suspect their birth rate is very, very low (either by plan or by nature) as otherwise they'd have expanded out to all of the nine realms by now. Also, I believe Hella took a lot of them off screen. But I think the best answer is that they didn't have the budget to show millions, perhaps billions of people in exodus. :wink:
So you're saying that...
Spoiler:
They should have had Deadpool walk by and toss out a casual aside about CGI budgets and planet populations?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Only if right behind him the 20th Century Fox legal team was seen frothing at the mouth and chasing after him...
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Win/win :dance:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There was a complaint that this one feels a lot like the Spidey Homecoming movie. I sorta agree with that. It's got that same irreverent tone.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:43 pm Wait...are you trying to get me to take your mother in law to this movie?
Well no, she'd be at home watching the kids. Something me and/or my wife are kind of obliged to do ourselves when she's not here. My wife has every other Tuesday off at her new job so if we make it to a movie tomorrow, that will be two. Next one won't be until (if) she returns, perhaps in February.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let's just put this out there so we cover all our bases: I'm not taking any member of your family to see Thor: Ragnarok.
He won. Period.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Saw it this weekend and loved it. Up there with GoTG 1 for humor and campiness and Winter Soldier for just a solid Marvel movie. Hemsworth really shows off his acting chops. The director's voice over as Kor was fantastic too.

I need to watch more stuff from the director, Taika Waititi. Love his brand of kiwi humor.