Digital Inheritance

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Digital Inheritance

Post by Victoria Raverna »

So anyone here prepare or has a plan for digital inheritance.

If one day you drop dead, do you want to let your family have access to all your user accounts?

If so, how do you do that?
Jeff V

Re: Digital Inheritance

Post by Jeff V »

Make a list of user names and passwords I suppose? As far as actual "ownership" of any digital assets, you should first check the fine print and verify that you do, indeed, own transferable rights to the property and not just a license to use it across your devices.

Personally, I'd just let the electrons go their own separate ways. It would be nice for someone to cancel various things like FB so people aren't still wishing my putrid corpse "Happy birthday" long after I've become worm food. I can't imagine anyone being particularly thrilled to inherent my sizeable music collection; only a portion of which is online though (most exists in backed-up drives at home).
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'd be more concerned about someone being able to access my bank and credit card accounts online (sure, they could track down actual accounts but these days all the information is much better accessible on the bank's website, especially if it's an online-only bank). I remember seeing something on TV about making sure to include logins and passwords with your will-related paperwork - obviously only a good idea if that paperwork is in a safe somewhere...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Which will be out of date with the news of the next data breach.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gilraen wrote:I'd be more concerned about someone being able to access my bank and credit card accounts online (sure, they could track down actual accounts but these days all the information is much better accessible on the bank's website, especially if it's an online-only bank). I remember seeing something on TV about making sure to include logins and passwords with your will-related paperwork - obviously only a good idea if that paperwork is in a safe somewhere...
And you have to remember to update it when you change passwords.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have arranged for someone to pretend they are me on the forums and fantasy sites where I have a presence. So if someday I seem strange on here you will know why.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Is it JonathanStrange?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a list of sites and passwords to access online stuff on a sheet of paper plus instructions for paying the bills and so forth in case of my death.
Except this site's password is not on it. Nor is my Steam account. I'm taking them with me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My Steam account should be transferable, dammit.

But yeah, it's a scary world with how fast someone can liquidate your assets.

When I went under for heart surgery last year, I left a not and a file on my desktop with all of my financial accounts and passwords for parents to find but I left no inheritance instructions.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

From my deathbed, I plan on crawling to my computer, changing my Steam and Vudu email addresses to ChaosRaven's, then resetting the password.

I just like to think about him having to explain to his family why he suddenly owns a copy of Barbie's Island Adventure, and a movie library that consists only of Golden Girls and Mama's Family episodes.
He won. Period.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Scuzz wrote:I have arranged for someone to pretend they are me on the forums and fantasy sites where I have a presence. So if someday I seem strange on here you will know why.
Someday?
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The entirety of OO is a simulation. You're the only human member.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote:From my deathbed, I plan on crawling to my computer, changing my Steam and Vudu email addresses to ChaosRaven's, then resetting the password.

I just like to think about him having to explain to his family why he suddenly owns a copy of Barbie's Island Adventure, and a movie library that consists only of Golden Girls and Mama's Family episodes.
Not to ruin your plan but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't even make Mrs. CR blink twice. :lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Having met Chaosfaerie more than once, I have to admit you're most likely correct. His kids are still scarred from our bathroom jokes at the last Octocon they attended.

...hmmm...they haven't shown up at one since. I wonder...
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jeff V wrote:
gilraen wrote:I'd be more concerned about someone being able to access my bank and credit card accounts online (sure, they could track down actual accounts but these days all the information is much better accessible on the bank's website, especially if it's an online-only bank). I remember seeing something on TV about making sure to include logins and passwords with your will-related paperwork - obviously only a good idea if that paperwork is in a safe somewhere...
And you have to remember to update it when you change passwords.
That's very true, but even if you don't keep up with it, and the password doesn't work - at least your heirs will know that the account even exists. Knowing the username and possibly at that point having access to your email, they can retrieve the password. Or at the very least, they should be able (in theory) to contact the company, provide proper documentation (proof of death, executor power, etc.) and have the assets released to them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

All joking aside, this is actually an interesting topic that I had never even considered. I have thousands of dollars in steam games and digital media. Do I want them to go to someone who would appreciate them after I die? Can I even pass them along by giving someone control of those accounts?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Steam 'Subscriptions' are non-transferable.
stessier

Post by stessier »

But also goes in the "how would they know" category. As long as you can log in with whatever method they use at that time, it should work fine.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

MHS wrote:
Scuzz wrote:I have arranged for someone to pretend they are me on the forums and fantasy sites where I have a presence. So if someday I seem strange on here you will know why.
Someday?

For that I am dropping you out of my will. I will give my Bobblehead collection to someone else.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Steam 'Subscriptions' are non-transferable.
As far as they know... :ninja:
MHS

Post by MHS »

Scuzz wrote: For that I am dropping you out of my will. I will give my Bobblehead collection to someone else.
Do we have a sad tuba emoji? I feel like I need one now.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Victoria Raverna

In theory, in actual practice, you can just give the username and password to anyone you want.

The same with most online accounts. Some of them allow you to transfer to others in case of you are no longer around, some don't. If we can arrange so that your family or kid get your list of username and password when you're no longer live in this world, they can access them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When Im dead Im dead and so is any online accounts. Ill just disappear one day and never return.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote:All joking aside, this is actually an interesting topic that I had never even considered. I have thousands of dollars in steam games and digital media. Do I want them to go to someone who would appreciate them after I die? Can I even pass them along by giving someone control of those accounts?
I used to be like you, but since I had a daughter (she is now only 2 and half years old), I started to have morbid thoughts. All the pain from growing old (or older) also added to those thoughts. I don't know if I'll live as long as my grandma which is now over 90 years old or her mother which lived to over 100 years old. Or I'll live to the age of my grandpa which passed away at 63. Or i'll live a short life since I started to have chest pains a few years ago.

Because of that I think i'll start to make preparation. All my non digital assets are easy, if I die, they'll go to my wife and daughter. But for the digital one, right now only I have access to all my accounts and some of them I want to pass to my wife or daughter if possible.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife or hepcat will post here when I die. Either one is the most likely cause of my demise, followed by the kids.

I have a folder with passwords in txt format for my wife to harvest. Not that she'll want them but my kids will want the steam account.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I get your copy of blood rage. Just sayin'.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There was talk not too long ago that Steam was looking at addressing this. Not following Steam news particularly closely, I have no idea whatever became of that.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I call dibs on JetFred's steam account. His kids already have their own. What will they need his for?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moat_Man wrote:I call dibs on JetFred's steam account. His kids already have their own. What will they need his for?
Guinness.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Just as a test, I asked a few people I know "Would you want..." and listed some of the digital things I could pass on to them. No one was the slightest bit interested. Not because of any unwillingness to talk about death either, it was an honest 'meh' response I got from everyone.

As far as I can tell, everyone has their things already. Whatever they're into, they have, they don't need or want anyone else's. Some things, like with music, it was "That's not my type, but thanks anyways". Other things, like games it was because I didn't have exactly what they wanted. "Do you have a PS4?"

So it looks like in my family no one is inheriting anything digital, but some people have agreed to scrub any data from others' devices ASAP when the time comes. I've helped clean up items after someone died, so I've seen what happens when someone discovers something about someone, something that they didn't want to know. Our digital age adds a whole new possible level to this sort of thing.