It's no wonder my parents need help with technology.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

It's no wonder my parents need help with technology.

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Big rant below. Spoilered for those who don't wish to see curse words in print.

A big FU to Apple. I changed my password for Apple a while ago. I wanted to put PS Vue on my ipad 2 at work to watch Taboo over lunch. To do that I had to:
Spoiler:
Sign in to iTunes.
Sorry, you need to sign in with your password and the code sent to your "trusded device".
Cancel, try again.
blah, blah, blah...trusted device.
Fuck this. To the internet.
5 minutes of research yields click on I don't have my trusted device with me.
Try again. Nowhere are those words on screen.
More research.
Settings, Itunes, profile, edit.
You must sign in.
Sign in.
You need to sign in with your password and the verificaton code that was sent to your trusted device - AAAAAUUUGGGHHH! Fuck you apple.
More research.
Nope not it. Nope. Nope.
This looks promising.
Sign in to appleid on chrome.
Remove two factor authentication.
You must enter the code sent to your trusted device. FUCK, FUCK, FUCK...FUCK YOU APPLE.
Finally, I can click on I don't have my device.
Get my non-apple phone and get the text. Enter the code.
You must set up security questions.
Pick three questions and answers. All lower case because who knows if they care about case. Don't pick the first car question because I never know if I'll spell Chrysler right.
Uncheck two factor.
You must enter the verification code sent to your recovery account.
Must resist throwing ipad at the wall.
Go to gmail get the code. Enter it.
Save.
Back to ipad. Sign in to app store.
Find PS Vue. Download free app.
You must update your credit card information.
Fucking seriously. Sigh.
Enter in the three digit code because everything else is there and saved.
download PS Vue.
Sign in.
No two factor BS. No updating of credit cards. No trusted device. Just a sweet, sweet password and nothing else.
Please be aware that some shows may not be available on mobile.
Taboo is available on mobile but I'm just going to watch something on Netflix so I don't have to deal with the commercials while running. I'm too worn out for that.
I had a similar experience with Verizon and trying to change the data limit on my son's phone while on vacation. Not nearly as bad but I never was able to get that done from my phone.

When things are this difficult for someone who has been using computers for hours a day for nearly 40 years, works in IT, has an extensive background in answering tech questions, and teaches classes on MS Office, Google Apps, etcetera it's no wonder my parents need help with it. Signing in to the Apple App Store shouldn't take google research and 45 minutes. Ever.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
coopasonic

Re: It's no wonder my parents need help with technology.

Post by coopasonic »

I have had similar issues with Apple... never with anything else ever... and I work in IT at a damn bank.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hmm, toying with the idea of an iPhone for my wife since she has somehow managed to destroy (software-wise) the last 2 androids she's had. The things barely function after being in her use for a short while. I was hoping the Apple-verse might keep her from destroying things.

You are not helping.

Edit: It should be noted that the 2 androids had been in my possession previously and had worked like a charm for over a year, each.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This has been me so, so, so many times. It's almost as if Apple wants people to hate them.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Agree, the whole trusted device thing is a PITA. But it's kind of what all of the big vendors are moving toward. I've been dealing with the same thing with Android and Windows devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hentzau wrote:Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:ninja:

Overall, two factor authentication is like piracy. I'm forced into it because people do stupid things.

It's really annoying having to go through two factor authentication because I signed in to something with Chrome instead of Firefox. There are ways that companies could do it that don't make my life harder than it already is. But they do it the easiest way for them which is almost always the biggest PITA for me. Whenever I can I turn it off.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It's a pain in the @ss to travel overseas now. Have to really think about everything in advance so you can actually log in at banks, yahoo, google, and whatnot while over there without your regular cell phone. I still don't have my paypal working right, and I guess etrade can just keep my money for an infinite period before they release it to me. I'm apparently glad I don't deal with Apple for anything.

Ok, I have to take that back about etrade as funds were available today. Only took a week with a few weekend days in the count.

But Paypal is still hosed ever since I added my phone number. I'm pretty sure I entered it correctly, and their system just isn't sending out the proper verification texts.
Last edited by em2nought on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It's funny that one can predict with exacting accuracy who will and will not have crazy and repeated problems with Apple. Ironically it's not as simple as "people with Apple products". It's a certain kind of person with Apple products. :)

While I typed this, I downloaded and installed the PS Vue app, on two devices.

Incidentally, since 2010, I've had exactly one problem with an Apple product (have had a 4S, a 5S and a 6 Plus, an Apple TV, three iPads). I discovered one day that iTunes wouldn't let me download certain songs from certain albums that I had purchased over the years. It displeased me, and there was no error - it just wouldn't work. After a great deal of anger, I got into a chat session with an Apple monkey and discovered that the file format for the albums in question had changed over the years, and for some reason certain tracks were trying to download the old format and couldn't.

The Apple monkey just gave me enough iTunes credit to rebuy all of the albums in the current format, and everything worked fine after that.

Anyway - this isn't to suggest that problems don't happen with Apple products (it's a technology company, so of course they do), it's just almost comical who these issues seem to always impact.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range