Anyone use the Marvel Unlimited service?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Anyone use the Marvel Unlimited service?

Post by Skinypupy »

It's the Netflix-ish service for Marvel Comics. $9.99/month, and you get unlimited access to over 15,000+ comics.

So, I've never been a comic book reader, for a couple primary reasons. For one, investing in and storing individual comic books didn't appeal to me at all. Two, I really just had no damn idea where to start. Having access to a huge curated library like this, where I can explore a ton of different stuff with really no commitment, looks like it could be pretty awesome. Just curious on feedback from anyone who uses the service before I jump in. And a couple quick questions:

1. Does it curate by title and date? So if I wanted to start reading Deadpool chronologically from the beginning, I could do that?
2. Is there any ability to set up different profiles? I think my daughter (8.1) would love this, but I don't want her to have access to everything.

TIA for any impressions.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Re: Anyone use the Marvel Unlimited service?

Post by YellowKing »

I used it for 3 months back when they were having a 99/cents a month deal.

I really liked it. One thing I enjoyed is that they categorize major story arcs together, so if you wanted to read all of Civil War, they give you the issues chronologically even if they cross titles.

I can't speak to the multiple profile thing as I never tried it, but as far as the service itself I found it really entertaining.

The only reason I quit is that I've always been more of a DC fan, so after blowing through the big story arcs there wasn't much that interested me. If DC put out a similar service, I'd be throwing my money at them. Unfortunately for some reason they won't do it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They're doing a free month promo, so I signed up this morning. To answer my own questions:

1. Yes, there are a bunch of filters that allow sorting by character, release date, event, etc. I suppose I'd get more excited if I knew anything about the events (the only two I recognized were Civil War and Star Wars), but there certainly seems to be a lot to dig into.

2. There's no option for separate accounts or age restrictions. That might be a deal breaker, as I don't really want my 8 year old having access to Deadpool comics, y'know?

They seem really slow to load through the app, but that is probably more due to my shitty work wifi connection (seriously, our campus wireless is sub-2mb most of the time. It's ridiculous.). Will try it from home tonight and see if it fares any better.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I have too many entertainment sources already and not enough discretionary time to add another.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Moliere wrote:I have too many entertainment sources already and not enough discretionary time to add another.
I'm cancelling Netflix to make room for this. I just don't watch any TV and the only time I have for movies is on long flights where Netflix isn't an option.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote:
Moliere wrote:I have too many entertainment sources already and not enough discretionary time to add another.
I'm cancelling Netflix to make room for this. I just don't watch any TV and the only time I have for movies is on long flights where Netflix isn't an option.
Netflix allows you to download some content now.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I used it a few times. It worked well enough, but I found that I lost interest quickly. That has more to do with that I'm not that into comics than anything else. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have it still. I like to check in on a few comics each month. Considering that comics are about 3.99 an issue, and an annual Marvel Unlimited subscription comes out to 5.83 a month, if I even read two comics per month, I'm ahead. Well...4 if I were to factor in comic book subscriptions.

Still, it's a steal in my opinion. At least with the annual subscription.

I would dump it in a heartbeat for a similar DC offering though. :cry:
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I have the service. The app on my iPad is buggy, but overall the service is great. I've been using this reading guide to slowly work my way through. I'm currently up to the Infinity event from Marvel Now.

Once I get caught up I expect I'll continue the service. It's 6 months behind publication, but I haven't purchased a new comic since I was in elementary school.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I worked my way through the Dark Reign event, which was almost 200 titles, mostly by IPhone viewing. I need to make a decision on year 3 before I auto renew next month.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Quite unimpressed with their iPad app. Even on a good wifi connection, it will often stall loading pages in the middle of a book. Closing out and restarting the app sometimes fixes it, sometimes not. Had to finally give up after the third volume of Civil War was missing two pages right in the middle (the rest of them loaded fine). I also don't see any easy way to identify stuff I've already read.

Between the tech issues and the lack of any sort of age-gating, I doubt I'll subscribe after this free month.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Decision made. With my undertaking a Masters, I doubt that reading comic books on my phone will be a good use of my time. I'll have plenty of other ways to procrastinate without feeling like I'm not getting my money's worth for another year.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Code: MILES

$61.60 for the year, normally $69.99.

Offer good through 01/11.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Ye-harr!
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.