Forum Discord Server

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Forum Discord Server

Post by Sudy »

What is Discord? I have no idea. It's like IRC and TeamSpeak got together and had a kid or something. There's both a desktop client and a web version.

Do we have an OO Discord channel? I have no idea. But I've experimented by creating one. Sign up and join the OO channel by using this invite, if you like: https://discord.gg/FHk4Tnq.

If someone's already created a community channel or would like to run this one, let me know. Otherwise I'll just make everyone an admin who pops in.

I'm not too interested in voice chat, but I figured it might be cool to use as a drop-in chatroom. Or maybe that's what we use the Random Randomness thread for around here and this is doomed to die like the integrated OO chatroom I seem to recall the forum may have once had. Or perhaps all the cool kids are already chatting via Skype or Steam or something.
Last edited by Sudy on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Montag

Re: Forum Discord Server

Post by Montag »

Got an "Instant invite is invalid or expired" message.
words
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

so it's 'Slack for gamers'
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Montag wrote:Got an "Instant invite is invalid or expired" message.
Strange. It's set to never expire. I refreshed it... try again? I also created https://discord.gg/QanU6. It will expire after 24 hours though.
hitbyambulance wrote:so it's 'Slack for gamers'
Ooh, what's Slack? Do we need an OO Slack group?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
DD*

Post by DD* »

I don't think I like any of you enough to actually, you know, talk to you... :)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'd love an OO slack channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Are we going full circle? Didn't we have an ICQ channel way back in the day? It led to both good (Meal + MHS) and bad (the bovine rebellion started there, I think).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

#gg on IRC is what you're thinking of, I believe. I still cringe when I think about all of that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
MHS

Post by MHS »

ImLawBoy wrote:Are we going full circle? Didn't we have an ICQ channel way back in the day? It led to both good (Meal + MHS) and bad (the bovine rebellion started there, I think).
IRC, and yes. :wub:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I tried to use Discord a while back as a light weight replacement for Vent, but found it to be flaky, the UI odd, and the quality well below most of the options out there.

Might have a use as a cheap option for kids who want to chat with strangers in pick up games, but if you can afford a vent server it is a far better choice.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It seemed like it would be cool to have a place where you could access the hivemind in real time for advice or general banter. I'm open to other platforms, or it simply being an unpopular idea. :D

I also wanted to check Discord out in general. I can't comment on it in contrast to other platforms.

So far we have a bustling 6 members. 8-)

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sorry, one wife is plenty.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Just a bump to let everyone know about the OO discord server.

Free voice chat, but possibly more importantly, a very robust chat / message system.

So it's a way to communicate with others while playing games but can be also used as an IRC as well.

This link should never expire and anyone is welcome to use it.

https://discord.gg/HeqMdq8
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Any concerns about quality seem to have gone away. I've used it with redfive and Octavious and others many times and it has always been crystal clear for me.

I lost connectivity only once I believe, and it healed itself without me needing to do anything.

There are some dedicated ARK players on almost nightly, and some others on occasion.

It seems to be used for gaming, mostly, but there's no reason it can't be used for general chat.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Those of us currently playing R6 use it a few times a week, and I've never had a single issue. The sound is good, the options are good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Having a room for every game by name is going to get messy for those not playing a game on the list, as they tend to hop into a currently unused room, after which the people actually playing that game come along and chaos ensues. Chaos! I've got a couple of ideas that might make the whole thing easier:

The easy, but potentially problematic way, would be to set up a few regulars as admins. They could create rooms when needed. The downside is that sooner or later, we'll either end up with a hundred rooms or someone will accidentally change an important setting. (Although having a couple of responsible people with privileges to troubleshoot problems might not be a horrible idea anyway.)

The simplest idea would be to just delete all of the current rooms and create a new numbered set: 1, 2, 3, etc. Perhaps a dozen rooms to ensure there would always be enough. People wanting to play could either plan to meet in a specified room or could just take an available one, and there would never be clutter from a bunch of abandoned games.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

If I went into Room #3 wanting to play PUBG, but was playing Dominions while I waited for others (which it will identify me as doing on the side bar), how will people know I am waiting to play PUBG? Aside from my generally known addiction issues, of course.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

For the record I *never* look at the little doodads showing online status and games being played for discord users/friends on the right hand side. I think it was a couple of months before I even realized they were there.

So for me, whatever the label on the channel, that's the game you are/want to play.

Others might have different ideas.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some information. Periodically a latency issue crops up for the server in which peoples' voices cut out and/or sound like robots. When that happens, the fix is to go into the settings and change the server location (I figure we can swap back and forth between 'east coast' and 'central'.) It takes an administrator to do this. I've not done it with a populated server, so I'm not sure if it automatically reconnects people (although I believe it should.)

I talked to Sudy earlier. He made me an administrator, and he'll be making Cort one as well.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:clap:

Good stuff. We were definitely seeing some issues which caused us to have to abandon the OO server on occasion to find another that was less problematic. I had assumed it was a server farm specific issue since moving servers often rectified the situation, but it was only a guess.

It's cool to learn that they let you migrate your own server to a different farm. That's neat.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With everyone stuck at home and playing online, I thought it might be good to remind everyone that we have an official OO Discord server. It's free, it works just fine (the latency issues we had last year are long-gone), and it is a good, simple option for voice coms for tabletop games, RPGs, video games, and so forth.

https://discord.gg/FHk4Tnq.