MLB Season 2017!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Mrs Nym

Re: MLB Season 2017!

Post by Mrs Nym »

Yay, the Mariners snap their 200-game losing streak today!

...well, it feels like 200 games.
Currently playing: Palia
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Enjoy that first place spot for a moment Cubs!!! You will be facing the Dodgers best pitching!! The Dodgers offense is all over the place but hopefully we can put up 2 runs a day in three days, should be enough. Yeah the offense should be FANTASTIC!! FANTASTIC!!! 8 runs a day and all that.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You guys gonna score any runs?
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Oh my....

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=370606117
Cleats, pants, jersey, hat. Scooter Gennett peeled off his uniform -- the one still dripping from a douse of celebratory ice water -- and handed every piece to a clubhouse manager. All of them were headed to Cooperstown.

All so hard to believe.

The diminutive Cincinnati native put on the greatest home run show in franchise history Tuesday night. He tied a major league record with four homers -- becoming the 17th player to accomplish the feat -- and matched the club mark by driving in 10 runs during a 13-1 victory over the slumping St. Louis Cardinals.
"It's surreal, man. It really is," Gennett said, wearing a backup set of clothes after the others were whisked away. "I'm truly blessed. I'm from here, born here. Watching all those guys play when I was little. And to do something that's never been done -- I can't put words on it."

He wasn't the only one nearly speechless. No major leaguer had ever had five hits, four homers and 10 RBI in a game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Gennett's 17 total bases also were a team record.
Nice way to break out of an 0-19 slump.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The Mets have to be close to a record on injuries. I'm surprised they can ever find enough players to field a team.

Just this week:
Harvey - DL 2-3 months
Walker - DL 2-3 months
Cabrera - 10 day DL (This is the Mets so it's probably season ending ;) )
Lagares - Broken thumb...ETA unknown

:lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Damn Giants, you suck all over!!! Find some pitching or something geez.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

This is friggin insane! At least they play each other this week.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Meanwhile, the NL Central is a pile of mediocrity, and the NL East (other than the Nats) is a tire fire. At one point last week, every team in the NL Central would have been in second place in the NL East.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

So the NL Central is one step above tire fire?? :)

BoSox caught the Yankees percentage wise (Yanks have played 2 fewer games) after taking 2 of 3 from Houston over the weekend, which is a fairly impressive achievement. Probably won't last, but it makes for a nice headline.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stessier wrote:So the NL Central is one step above tire fire?? :)
That's pretty much what I said.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

So far the Royals are thoroughly mediocre - which is the worst possible outcome for this season.

They either need to keep their FAs-to-be and make one last playoff run or fall apart completely and sell them off for prospects. Instead looks like they'll stay around .500 in a mediocre AL Central keeping them "in the race" long enough to miss the opportunity to restock the minor league system.

If only they could beat the Twins. They're 1-7 against Minnesota so far this year. Turn that into a 4-4 mark and they'd be a half game behind Cleveland. :|
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Uh Octavious, you can go to bed now :)
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I stopped watching 2 months ago. ;) Team is a joke. I'm waiting for Collins and hopefully the entire staff go at the end of the year. An ya it's not Collins fault that there are 9 million injuries a year. That's on the owners and their shitty handling of pretty much everything. Sigh.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maybe they need a director of performance enhancement.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Octavious wrote:I stopped watching 2 months ago. ;) Team is a joke. I'm waiting for Collins and hopefully the entire staff go at the end of the year. An ya it's not Collins fault that there are 9 million injuries a year. That's on the owners and their shitty handling of pretty much everything. Sigh.
My turn to sigh. Damn Kershaw how many homers are we giving up tonight???
Black Lives Matter
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Lorini wrote:
Octavious wrote:I stopped watching 2 months ago. ;) Team is a joke. I'm waiting for Collins and hopefully the entire staff go at the end of the year. An ya it's not Collins fault that there are 9 million injuries a year. That's on the owners and their shitty handling of pretty much everything. Sigh.
My turn to sigh. Damn Kershaw how many homers are we giving up tonight???
Enlarge Image

So I'm sitting here in great seats, beer in hand with a long time client. It's a balmy 70 with a gorgeous sunset. Dodgers up 7-0 just after the 2nd and Kershaw is being Kershaw. No worries, right? :doh:

Another good game for the Dodgers offense. We haven't been able to enjoy a streak like this for many a moon.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The Dodgers' Kenley Jansen's gone half the season without a walk. Watch him here (Start at 25 seconds in).
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Cubs started off the year with an unconventional approach at lead off - Kyle Schwarber. That didn't go so well. While he's showing patience and drawing walks, which leads to his OBP being ~120 points higher than his batting average, his miserable .176 batting average just ain't cutting it. (I think The Schwarbs may be turning into a more pleasant, media and fan friendly version of Dave Kingman, if I may show my age.)

So, the Kyle Schwarber Leadoff Experience has come to a close (at least for now), so we should expect Joe Maddon to go back to someone more traditional. That totally explains why Maddon has had Anthony Rizzo leading off the last 6 games, right? The thing is, it's working. He's reached base as the leadoff hitter all 6 games (including home runs in his first two games, and a walk in his third after having a potential home run controversially ruled foul). It could happen again today via a HBP, as the Padres are pretty steamed about Rizzo steamrolling their catcher on a play at the plate last night.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

At the Dodgers-Mets game. Plenty of Mets attire around but I'm wearing my Hello Kitty Dodger shirt :D
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm starting to believe in the Rockies, wow!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Say that next Monday :D
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Rizzo didn't lead off the game with a HBP as I thought might happen. He hit a HR instead. That's 7 games in a row leading off by getting on base.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Xmann wrote:I'm starting to believe in the Rockies, wow!
I've been calling them the boys of May for a while now. It's great having some excitement into the Summer for a change.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Rizzo flew out to center to lead off today's game. Thus endeth the streak.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote:Rizzo flew out to center to lead off today's game. Thus endeth the streak.
Between home runs and outs, he's doing a terrible job setting up the hitters behind him. :P
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:Rizzo flew out to center to lead off today's game. Thus endeth the streak.
Between home runs and outs, he's doing a terrible job setting up the hitters behind him. :P
Somewhere Joe Morgan is nodding his head.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sorry Octavious but this is too funny not to post:

From Twitter
"Jay Bruce: "Yasiel is very, very talented. But I mean, he's not David Ortiz. This guy doesn't have 500-something home runs.""

@ChadMoriyama "If he keeps facing Mets pitching he will"

30 runs in 3 games by the Dodgers.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Reports (as yet unconfirmed by the Cubs) are that the Cubs are sending Kyle Schwarber down to AAA. That's probably for the best so that he can try to find his swing again. The people of Des Moines should get ready to see some massive dingers!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Lorini wrote:Say that next Monday :D

Rockies need to win 2 of 3 this weekend. I've had concerns about these rookie pitchers since day 1. They need 1 veteran starter and reliever. If not, they won't make the playoffs.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Can the Mets send Collins to AAA? :P I can't believe this team was in the WS a couple of years ago. What a f'n joke they have become.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Xmann wrote:
Lorini wrote:Say that next Monday :D

Rockies need to win 2 of 3 this weekend. I've had concerns about these rookie pitchers since day 1. They need 1 veteran starter and reliever. If not, they won't make the playoffs.
They are going up against the best pitching the Dodgers have, so we shall see. And Octavious, the Mets should be able to get some wins against the Giants, the Giants are flatlined about now.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yup and yup. :D
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

OK Giants it was fine to lose against the Mets, maybe my friend Octavious is a little happier now, but it's time to bear down and beat the Rockies, thanks!!!
:pop:
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Picked a good day to watch the Giants. Was a bit worried that I wasted money see them lose. Instead, they swept the Rockies! Sorry Zaxxon and the Meal

These were our seats
https://www.facebook.com/KenDean/videos ... 351628916/
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The season's just not the same without a competitive rivalry with the Giants. Who knows, maybe when MadBum comes back they'll win 15-18 games in a row and be in the discussion again. Dodger fans miss our rival!!!
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Season is still going? I've watched like 5 games total this year. I'm waiting for the post Collins era to start. Hopefully the training staff goes with him. :P

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote:Season is still going? I've watched like 5 games total this year. I'm waiting for the post Collins era to start. Hopefully the training staff goes with him. :P
I heard the Mets are looking at Fulmer. You can have him free and clear if you take Cabrera, V Martinez, and Zimmerman with him. Deal?

We aren't with just without a season, we have years of bad stupid contracts to offload. And I know I'm a fair weather fan because I've been mostly sports free for the last year. Something is drastically out of place when the Lions have the best outlook in the city and by far and away the best outlook.

I started to give up on the Tigers about 3/4s of the way through Ausmus' innagural season. I gave up on the Pistons during the rise of San Antonio, for which Dumars refused to adapt. I gave up on the Wings somewhere around Lidstrom's retirement. And while I gave up on the Lions a few years ago, I actually watched a chunk of last season after a few seasons of watching the first two games and deciding I'd rather have my Sundays free.

Two more months to go...
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:The season's just not the same without a competitive rivalry with the Giants. Who knows, maybe when MadBum comes back they'll win 15-18 games in a row and be in the discussion again. Dodger fans miss our rival!!!

We are going to be the reverse of last season and have the best 2nd half in the MLB record wise. Just you wait!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:
Lorini wrote:The season's just not the same without a competitive rivalry with the Giants. Who knows, maybe when MadBum comes back they'll win 15-18 games in a row and be in the discussion again. Dodger fans miss our rival!!!

We are going to be the reverse of last season and have the best 2nd half in the MLB record wise. Just you wait!
Just not better than our record at the end of the season. We'll let you have the wildcard :)
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Was it just me, or did that preseason just seem to drag on and on? Regardless, I can't wait for the regular season to start this week so that the Cubs can defend their World Series title!