MLB Season 2017!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Exodor

Re: MLB Season 2017!

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote:Anyhoo, ILB should be happy with Tigers about now.
I'm happy with them throwing in the towel - just make sure they beat Cleveland now and then.

Royals brought in Cahill from the Padres and Melky from the White Sox to try to push for one last playoff spot. They didn't give up anyone of note so I'm OK with it. I feel a little bad about KC beating Boston and putting the Yankees back in first place in the AL East - but only a little. :wink:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Exodor wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Anyhoo, ILB should be happy with Tigers about now.
I'm happy with them throwing in the towel - just make sure they beat Cleveland now and then.

Royals brought in Cahill from the Padres and Melky from the White Sox to try to push for one last playoff spot. They didn't give up anyone of note so I'm OK with it. I feel a little bad about KC beating Boston and putting the Yankees back in first place in the AL East - but only a little. :wink:
I'm just glad you guys smacked the reality of the franchises situation into ownership and management... at least for the time being.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:Happy I'm not a Giant's fan, that's all I'm sayin'

meh, you swept a bad team. When the Giants sweep the Dodgers, it's when the Dodgers are good.

#Choketober is coming. Be Prepared!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Darvish to the Dodgers for prospects at the end of the trade deadline.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sorry to see him go.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm sorry to see him go.
He'll be back, I doubt the Dodgers will keep him.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Uh Cubs fans, is your season over now?

-Concerned (kinda) Dodgers fan
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's certainly not going well. That said, we're still 1.5 games ahead in a weak division. Contreras has been our best player lately, so losing him hurts, but fortunately we picked up a veteran catcher who had been having a good year (Avila) at the deadline, so that might salvage things. Lots of games left to play, and once the Cubs get out of the west coast, they start playing in division (where they've done well) and against some of the poorer teams in the league. My hope is that this will be enough to get us into the postseason, and it's really all a crapshoot once you're in the playoffs.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well we certainly don't want to face the Cardinals in the playoffs, so do what you can :) :)
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote:It's certainly not going well. That said, we're still 1.5 games ahead in a weak division. Contreras has been our best player lately, so losing him hurts, but fortunately we picked up a veteran catcher who had been having a good year (Avila) at the deadline, so that might salvage things. Lots of games left to play, and once the Cubs get out of the west coast, they start playing in division (where they've done well) and against some of the poorer teams in the league. My hope is that this will be enough to get us into the postseason, and it's really all a crapshoot once you're in the playoffs.
I think you'll be happy with Avila this year, especially as you guy gave up squat to rent him and get Wilson. Ha-rumph!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

LordMortis wrote: I think you'll be happy with Avila this year, especially as you guy gave up squat to rent him and get Wilson. Ha-rumph!
But they didnt give up squat. The Cubs gave up one of their top prospect and a player who is ranked in the top 100 of all minor league prospects. Avila is a rental but then most likely Wilson was gone for the Tigers as well. He is up for arbitration and with the season he is having his salary would be way beyond what Detroit would have been willing to pay. It was almost guaranteed that Wilson would be gone in the offseason. So the Tigers got two good prospects for two players who were almost guaranteed not to be on the roster next season. You really need to stop listening to those idiots on talk radio. Detroit needs to rebuild and these are the kinds of deals they need to make if they don't want to take 10-15 years doing it.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

rshetts2 wrote:The Cubs gave up one of their top prospect and a player who is ranked in the top 100 of all minor league prospects. Avila is a rental but then most likely Wilson was gone for the Tigers as well. He is up for arbitration and with the season he is having his salary would be way beyond what Detroit would have been willing to pay. It was almost guaranteed that Wilson would be gone in the offseason. So the Tigers got two good prospects for two players who were almost guaranteed not to be on the roster next season. You really need to stop listening to those idiots on talk radio. Detroit needs to rebuild and these are the kinds of deals they need to make if they don't want to take 10-15 years doing it.
We got one of their top prospects after they're system had been raided by the white sox.

Wilson is a young gem. Avila is a rental. A bonus for getting Wilson. For a proven gem (that I would keep through arbitration) I get a potential third baseman... to replace/move Castellonos? Who is theoretically the top young infielder we already have. Now if the top prospect had been a future position of need, primarily 2nd base, I'd see your point but as it goes, I don't agree. I think the Cubs got what they needed and Detroit got what the Cubs were willing to give to get what they needed, irrespective of what Detroit needs.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

If I'm not mistaken, Wilson is only under team control for this year and next, and then he goes to free agency. Unless the Tigers' rebuild was going to lead to a run next year, then they gave up someone who wasn't going to help long term for a potential building block in a still very good prospect. That's the kind of stuff that needs to be done, even if it makes the big league squad less watchable in the short term.

(FWIW, Wilson has not been good with the Cubs so far. Small sample size and all, but he's got an ERA of 4.50 and a WHIP of 2.25 in his four appearances, with one blown save.)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

More importantly, the Red Sox are on an eight game winning streak.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:More importantly, the Red Sox are on an eight game winning streak.
It's hard to figure out just how good they are but they are 4 up on the Yankees and they play 9x before the end of the month. Things should be pretty clear by Sept 1.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Wilson is only under team control for this year and next, and then he goes to free agency. Unless the Tigers' rebuild was going to lead to a run next year, then they gave up someone who wasn't going to help long term for a potential building block in a still very good prospect. That's the kind of stuff that needs to be done, even if it makes the big league squad less watchable in the short term.

(FWIW, Wilson has not been good with the Cubs so far. Small sample size and all, but he's got an ERA of 4.50 and a WHIP of 2.25 in his four appearances, with one blown save.)
That's not where I'm coming from though. You got what you wanted, what you needed. We got what you were still willing to give us after you already made your big prospects trades for Qunitana. If I'm going to go looking for prospects then I'm going to go looking for young outfielders, second base men, and relief pitchers, maybe a shortstop. I have a 3rd basemen and 1st basemen is probably the easiest position to fill , so stocking up with 1st and 3rd base prospects is only meaningful if I'm going to parlay them into trades for other positions.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:More importantly, the Red Sox are on an eight game winning streak.
It's hard to figure out just how good they are but they are 4 up on the Yankees and they play 9x before the end of the month. Things should be pretty clear by Sept 1.
Four of those eight games were against the White Sox, who are terrible, so that puts a damper on it a bit. Though I suppose that the other four were against the Indians are the Rays who are competent-to-good.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Wilson is only under team control for this year and next, and then he goes to free agency. Unless the Tigers' rebuild was going to lead to a run next year, then they gave up someone who wasn't going to help long term for a potential building block in a still very good prospect. That's the kind of stuff that needs to be done, even if it makes the big league squad less watchable in the short term.

That's not where I'm coming from though. You got what you wanted, what you needed. We got what you were still willing to give us after you already made your big prospects trades for Qunitana. If I'm going to go looking for prospects then I'm going to go looking for young outfielders, second base men, and relief pitchers, maybe a shortstop. I have a 3rd basemen and 1st basemen is probably the easiest position to fill , so stocking up with 1st and 3rd base prospects is only meaningful if I'm going to parlay them into trades for other positions.
Load up with prospects - who cares where they play? You never know what is going to happen in 3-4 years, but if you have boatloads of prospects, you have options. You can move people around to different positions, you can trade for positions of need, etc. At this point in the rebuilding process (especially if Detroit is going to go for a full rebuild a la the Cubs or Astros, or as the White Sox are currently doing), the important thing is just to load up on prospects.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets trade Jay Bruce for a dead body. Aside from saving 4 million dollars I'm not sure why they bothered. Sure he's going to be a FA, but WTF you could have at least gotten someone that might make the majors someday. I hate my team... :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Hey, remember when the Royals used to win games occasionally? That was fun, I'd like to go back to that.

I suppose the good news is that even after getting stomped three times in a row by the Cardinals ( :x ) we're only 1 GB in the wild card race. The Cahill trade with SD was sure a bust though - he's been terrible so far.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:Well we certainly don't want to face the Cardinals in the playoffs, so do what you can :) :)
doesn't matter who you will face. Dodgers will find a way to choke...
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:
Lorini wrote:Well we certainly don't want to face the Cardinals in the playoffs, so do what you can :) :)
doesn't matter who you will face. Dodgers will find a way to choke...
As long as it's not the Cardinals we're good. We certainly won't have to worry about your team, just sayin' :D
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Marlins to be sold
Jeffrey Loria will sell the Marlins to a group led by Jeter and New York businessman Bruce Sherman, the Miami Herald reported, for $1.2 billion. The paperwork is expected to be at the MLB’s office Friday, but the Herald reports there will not be a formal vote on the sale next week at the owners’ meetings in Chicago.

Sherman will be the “control person,” similar to a managing general partner, but Jeter will run the business and baseball side of the organization, according to the Herald. Their group reportedly has 16 investors, and they have raised the money needed to complete the sale.

Jeter is contributing $25 million to the bid, according to the Herald.
Man, you get a lot of control with a 2% stake.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Btw, Darvish stumbled through his start last night. If he keeps pitching like that I'm sure the Dodgers will make him available to the Rangers via free agency.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Um Cubs?! Cardinals have caught up with you. Do better please! Thanks much,

Your (very worried) Dodger fan :D
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Angels in second wildcard spot! (For a day four days).
Last edited by Jaymann on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote:Um Cubs?! Cardinals have caught up with you. Do better please! Thanks much,

Your (very worried) Dodger fan :D
I'm not entirely sure why you fear the Cards more than the Cubs, particularly since the Cubs are the more talented team (on paper) who knocked out the Dodgers last year, but the Cubs are back alone in first after beating AZ and the Cards losing to ATL.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

We've only lost to the Cubs once in the playoffs in the last 10 years or so. We've yet to beat the Cards in the last three times we've played them in the playoffs and Kershaw has melted down every damn time he faced them. I think we have like 20 starting pitchers now so maybe they won't have to start him on three days rest. :)

Glad to hear you guys are back in first place :D
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Glad to see the Giants fans are still out there!! (6% of the voters thought that the Dodgers would win 105 games or less, meaning that they'd only win 18 games for the rest of the season).
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't mean to make you too nervous, Lorini, but the two teams tied for most wins in a season (1906 Cubs and 2001 Mariners) both failed to win the WS.

Cubs had a crazy game yesterday. Down 5-3 in the 10th, they staged the comeback with the help of two men reaching on dropped third strikes.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ImLawBoy wrote:I don't mean to make you too nervous, Lorini, but the two teams tied for most wins in a season (1906 Cubs and 2001 Mariners) both failed to win the WS.

Cubs had a crazy game yesterday. Down 5-3 in the 10th, they staged the comeback with the help of two men reaching on dropped third strikes.
So whose catcher will be on waivers this morning?? :)
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blue Jays. (I don't think it was Montero, though. Someone else had subbed in by that point.) The pitcher had something to do with it, too. The pitches were bouncing really far outside and in front of the plate.
naednek

Post by naednek »

this year's choke job in the playoffs will be bigger than today's eclipse! It's going to be epic
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:this year's choke job in the playoffs will be bigger than today's eclipse! It's going to be epic
Yeah let me know when the Giants will be in playoffs again, just sayin'
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not sure the Mets have enough players left to field a team. What a bloodbath. Curious to see what they do in the off-season. They still have a decent staff if they could keep half of them on the field. :doh:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Incredibly, the Angels go 7-2 on a road trip and are clinging to the second wild card spot!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh and this happened last week. Only the Mets could pull something like this off. :lol:
Due to injuries and trades they didn't have an infielder available and put a catcher in the field. They swapped him back and forth based on what side the batter was hitting.

Enlarge Image

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

That's what's cool about baseball, you never know what's going to happen!!!
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:That's what's cool about baseball, you never know what's going to happen!!!
except when the Dodgers get to the play offs. You definitely know. :P

Sorry, you set that up
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:
Lorini wrote:That's what's cool about baseball, you never know what's going to happen!!!
except when the Dodgers get to the play offs. You definitely know. :P

Sorry, you set that up
Hmm, the Giants were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yesterday.
Black Lives Matter