MLB Season 2017!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: MLB Season 2017!

Post by Jaymann »

WOW what a game! Indians 9-8 in the 13th.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

El Guapo wrote:
stessier wrote:The Red Sox limped into the playoffs and lost a player on his first at bat. Their best pitcher got lit up. At least I don't have to worry about dividing my concern between them and the Patriots.
Sort of, not exactly. I think they went 17-11 in September. They 'limped' into the playoffs mainly because they lost 3 of 4 in their last series of the season (though the last game didn't matter to the postseason). Also the lost player is Eduardo Nunez, who has played pretty well for them but who still isn't David Ortiz or something.

That said, the bigger problem is that the team that they lost 3 of 4 to at the end of the season was the Astros, and that the Astros are a better baseball team with a better record. So, that's not great.
The Curse of Eduardo Nunez.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote:He's smarter than that.
What Zaxxon said.

Go Cubs!
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

pr0ner wrote:
What Zaxxon said.

Go Cubs!
So, a fun time was had?!? Share with us!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm really enjoying the AL matchups so far. But that wouldn't be surprising with Boston/NYY on the losing end of things thus far.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the NL thus far. I'm pretty ok with any of those teams as long as the Nats go home early.

Indians-Yanks Game 2 was pretty crazy though. Those fans who were at the park will remember that grand slam moment always. Fun.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Baroquen wrote:as long as the Nats go home early.
Agreed!
Indians-Yanks Game 2 was pretty crazy though. Those fans who were at the park will remember that grand slam moment always. Fun.
Yeah, that was just an amazing comeback. Even had the added drama of the Yankees failing to challenge a bullshit HBP just prior to the GS.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Meal wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
What Zaxxon said.

Go Cubs!
On my way to Game 2 now; will have to share more later!
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You lucky bastard.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:
The Meal wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
What Zaxxon said.

Go Cubs!
On my way to Game 2 now; will have to share more later!
Quite jealous. I'm streaming the WJFK audio while watching the game. Took some work but I have the audio synced with the game on the screen.

Oh yeah I'm rooting for the other team. Go Nats!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And here I liked you...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:And here I liked you...
Awwww... :wub:

Whew! Glad they pulled out the win. One does not simply walk into Wrigley two games down...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Dear Dodger manager Dave Roberts: Do you realize that Kershaw has a 25+ ERA in the 7th inning in all the playoffs he's pitched in? Maybe not have him pitch in the 7th inning? Just a thought....
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Big day in playoff baseball! What games are you guys watching? I'm watching all of them, love this time of year.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nats apparently banned (and confiscated) W flags for Saturday's game. That's unsurprisingly not going well for them as far as folks' reactions go.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Zaxxon wrote:Nats apparently banned (and confiscated) W flags for Saturday's game. That's unsurprisingly not going well for them as far as folks' reactions go.
What are W flags? Dodger fans huge Pantone 294 flag (Pantone 294 is the color of Dodger blue) gets confisticated all the time.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lorini wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Nats apparently banned (and confiscated) W flags for Saturday's game. That's unsurprisingly not going well for them as far as folks' reactions go.
What are W flags? Dodger fans huge Pantone 294 flag (Pantone 294 is the color of Dodger blue) gets confisticated all the time.

To my knowledge, the Nats are the only club to have banned these. Not that it's a big deal. But, you know, most teams try to keep the Ws from coming out by... winning the game. Which the Nats did, making this embarrassment all for naught.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote:Big day in playoff baseball! What games are you guys watching? I'm watching all of them, love this time of year.
Bears vs Vikings
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

The only time they should be an issue is when they block others' view of the game. If someone complains, warn the people, if someone complains again, take the flag. Shouldn't be a blanket ban / confiscation, as people bring signs and flags to every park all the time.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kelric wrote:
The only time they should be an issue is when they block others' view of the game. If someone complains, warn the people, if someone complains again, take the flag. Shouldn't be a blanket ban / confiscation, as people bring signs and flags to every park all the time.
Exactly. And these come out, well, after the game has ended, if the Cubs win. So that's not a possibility.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Are they planning on being the Lossington Nationals?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote:Are they planning on being the Lossington Nationals?
I'm hoping the Cubs take things into their own hands so there is no game 5, and therefore the Nats don't have to worry about such bothersome things as flags in their stadium anymore this year.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote:
Kelric wrote:
Exactly. And these come out, well, after the game has ended, if the Cubs win. So that's not a possibility.
I actually saw a couple brave Cubs fans unfurling a W flag after the Game 2 loss on Saturday.

There was also someone in the section over from me who unfurled a L flag after the Nats won Game 2 - it can be seen here:
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Also, to answer Meal's question from the other day, it was fantastic getting to watch the Cubs play playoff baseball. Friday went better than Saturday, of course, but that's to be expected given the outcomes.

There were a TON of Cubs fans there on Saturday. Maybe moreso than Friday. If this series makes it to Game 5, I am curious to see what the split will be between Cubs and Nats fans.

I will note that these are not my first playoff games, however. I've been to every Nats playoff home game since they started making the postseason regularly in 2012. Needless to say, there was a lot of disappointing losses to watch in that batch of games.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote:it was fantastic getting to watch the Cubs play playoff baseball. Friday went better than Saturday, of course, but that's to be expected given the outcomes.
During the moments where I'm able to remove my Cubs fan blinders, I have to admit to myself that Saturday's game had to be exciting to watch. This year's playoffs in general have thus far been incredibly entertaining.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I've been lucky to attend the only two games in the postseason that have ended in close to 3 hours, too, which helps make things more exciting.

Playoff baseball is so damn slow. 2:55 for each inning break and pitching change is too long (especially when it's just 2:05 during most regular season games). Both games would have ended in well under 3 hours if not for the extended inning breaks.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Red Sox fans were chanting "Ka-ate Up-ton" at Verlander before the home run
We are horrible people.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stessier wrote:
Red Sox fans were chanting "Ka-ate Up-ton" at Verlander before the home run
We are horrible people.
And cheating having the ball girl pick up balls in play! :P
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I would feel more umbridge at that comment good sir...but they do kind of suck in the post season. :cry:
Black lives matter!

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

$iljanus wrote:
I would feel more umbridge at that comment good sir...but they do kind of suck in the post season. :cry:
Shoddy defense by the Cubs might just give them a ray of hope.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, that was not great. That's the risk one runs when putting Schwarber in the outfield...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jaymann wrote:
$iljanus wrote:
Shoddy defense by the Cubs might just give them a ray of hope.
And bad pitches by the Nats might give that ray right back! :lol:
Black lives matter!

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fear not. The Cubs will see your bad pitches and raise you terrible baserunning!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:Fear not. The Cubs will see your bad pitches and raise you terrible baserunning!
Even I thought it was going to drop. That was a nice double play. This has been an enjoyable playoff series to watch.
Black lives matter!

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Aaaaaand Kris Bryant strikes out. Was Jeff V watching?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sigh, good win Cubs. And I do have to admit I liked singing Go Cubs Go when I was at Wrigley two years ago. I would have preferred a different outcome of course.
Black lives matter!

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Still only 2-1. Great series so far.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote:Aaaaaand Kris Bryant strikes out. Was Jeff V watching?
I'd like to say yes, but alas, it was not on TV.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Dodgers are the only team that swept so far :horse:
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It was fun having an inside the ballpark homerun in the last Red Sox game, at least.

The outcome isn't surprising, given that the Astros are probably better at baseball. I'm glad that the Red Sox salvaged at least some pride by winning game 3. What's more of a bummer is that Dumbrowski is probably going to further gut the farm system this offseason for a couple more established players, so that we'll have a competitive next couple years or so, but then we're going to have a LONG winter of terrible baseball coming sooner or later.
Black Lives Matter.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

El Guapo wrote:It was fun having an inside the ballpark homerun in the last Red Sox game, at least.

The outcome isn't surprising, given that the Astros are probably better at baseball. I'm glad that the Red Sox salvaged at least some pride by winning game 3. What's more of a bummer is that Dumbrowski is probably going to further gut the farm system this offseason for a couple more established players, so that we'll have a competitive next couple years or so, but then we're going to have a LONG winter of terrible baseball coming sooner or later.
My offseason plan, in no particular order, and avoiding obvious ones like picking up Kimbrel's/Sale's options:
  • Trade Hanley for his last year and eat salary to do it, but don't give up prospects to sweeten the deal
    Re-sign Addison Reed
    Re-sign Eduardo Nunez if the money isn't crazy, or find another utility guy who can play 3rd to pair with Holt off the bench
    Re-sign Fernando Abad if the money isn't crazy (and it shouldn't be)
    Teach Dustin Pedroia he isn't as fast as he used to be and should become a station to station runner
    Trade Sandy Leon or option him to Triple-A and find a new catcher to platoon with Vazquez
    See if Joe Kelly would be open to a reasonable extension
    Extend Drew Pomeranz
    Bring in another bullpen arm or three, you can never have enough
    Find a DH/backup 1B, while seeing if Sam Travis can win the 1B job
    DO NOT SIGN JD MARTINEZ - he's going to cost too much and probably results in one of our young OFers being moved
    Find a SP on a prove it contract (Chris Tillman?)