MLB Season 2017!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: MLB Season 2017!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Recall? No.

The Guardian
The St Louis Cardinals were stripped of their top two picks in this year’s amateur draft Monday and ordered to give them to Houston along with $2m as compensation for hacking the Astros’ email system and scouting database, the final step in an unusual case of cybercrime involving two Major League Baseball teams.

Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred also banned former St Louis executive Christopher Correa for life as he ruled the Cardinals must give the 56th and 75th draft choices in June to Houston. They must pay the Astros the money within 30 days. Correa, the Cardinals’ director of baseball development until July 2015, pleaded guilty in federal court to five counts of unauthorized access of a protected computer. He was sentenced last summer to 46 months in prison and ordered to pay the Astros $279,039 in restitution.

“Although Mr Correa’s conduct was not authorized by the Cardinals, as a matter of MLB policy, I am holding the Cardinals responsible for his conduct,” Manfred wrote. “A club suffers material harm when an employee of another club illegally accesses its confidential and propriety information, particularly intrusions of the nature and scope present here. In addition, as a result of Mr Correa’s conduct, the Astros suffered substantial negative publicity and had to endure the time, expense and distraction of both a lengthy government investigation and an MLB investigation.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The guy going to jail for 40 months was a good result as well, don't think we'll see too much of that again.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sigh. :(
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

wow didn't know it was that bad...

The Best Team Ever {snicker} is now 1 and 13 in their last 14 games.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

1 and 14 in our last 15 games, get it right :) It's ridiculous either the pitching is fucked up or the offense can score only one run. Pitchers like Wood and Kershaw with stellar ERA's give up 4-5 runs. The ball takes strange bounces. We go into extra innings if our closer, the best closer in baseball, doesn't give up a home run last night. At the same time, the losing streak is showing up issues. Our framing catcher can't catch balls for example. Our set up pitcher likes to give up home runs, which is ok when we are up five runs, but not ok when we're behind. We can get guys on base but the back of the order is pretty shaky.

And of course now the whole situation is in their heads and everyone is trying too hard. They keep saying we're going to the playoffs, we're going to win the division but the fans are beginning to wonder.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:1 and 14 in our last 15 games, get it right :) It's ridiculous either the pitching is fucked up or the offense can score only one run. Pitchers like Wood and Kershaw with stellar ERA's give up 4-5 runs. The ball takes strange bounces. We go into extra innings if our closer, the best closer in baseball, doesn't give up a home run last night. At the same time, the losing streak is showing up issues. Our framing catcher can't catch balls for example. Our set up pitcher likes to give up home runs, which is ok when we are up five runs, but not ok when we're behind. We can get guys on base but the back of the order is pretty shaky.

And of course now the whole situation is in their heads and everyone is trying too hard. They keep saying we're going to the playoffs, we're going to win the division but the fans are beginning to wonder.

Sounds like you have the case of the SF Giants
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

There has not been a lot to cheer about in Tigertown, as we watch the dismantling of team in prep for a full rebuild but the other night they pulled off a feat that is extremely rare. In fact it's only happened 3 times in the past 70 seasons. That feat was getting a grand slam and a triple play in the same game. They did this against Toronto who, ironically, was the last AL team to pull this off, back in 1979.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

rshetts2 wrote:There has not been a lot to cheer about in Tigertown, as we watch the dismantling of team in prep for a full rebuild but the other night they pulled off a feat that is extremely rare. In fact it's only happened 3 times in the past 70 seasons. That feat was getting a grand slam and a triple play in the same game. They did this against Toronto who, ironically, was the last AL team to pull this off, back in 1979.
Wow I'll look on video for that!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

rshetts2 wrote:There has not been a lot to cheer about in Tigertown, as we watch the dismantling of team in prep for a full rebuild but the other night they pulled off a feat that is extremely rare. In fact it's only happened 3 times in the past 70 seasons. That feat was getting a grand slam and a triple play in the same game. They did this against Toronto who, ironically, was the last AL team to pull this off, back in 1979.
Another fact. The guy who hit the grand slam has been their third baseman most of the season but was making his first (career?) start in RF. The triple play was started by the guy taking his place at 3rd. Wonder how many times someone has been involved in turning a triple play and has hit a grand slam int the same game.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So naednek, you guys will let us have a couple of wins please??? That would be nice :) See ya tomorrow.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Stupid fans are stupid of course. Don't boo the team fucking idiots. I understand completely how frustrating it is for fans, and their feelings that given the salaries of the players why should they really care, but seriously I don't think many players (Panda maybe?) just play for the money and don't care about the results. They booed our best pitching prospect last night when he gave up the grand slam. Geezus, that's what he needs, a confidence crisis. He was pitching to one of the most notorious home run hitters (Mark Reynolds, notorious in that he either hits home runs or strikes out, mostly striking out) in the game.

I was ashamed of the fans for that, I wish I'd have been there, I'd have been cheering him for not backing away from the challenge.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

10:50pm. Game ended at 2:10am startImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Meanwhile the Indians are at what, 18 wins in a row?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

19, actually.

They go for 20 in a row tonight with the Klubot on the mound.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote:19, actually.

Playing against a AAA team featuring Cabrera. 21 should be a lock.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:10:50pm. Game ended at 2:10am startImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I will say this, at least Roberts finally managed in a way that looked like he cared about winning the game. Our once stellar starting rotation is completely unreliable now. We win that game if Maeda doesn't give up three runs in three innings. I don't know why my favorite Ryu was rested, but they needed him last night. And the bullpen is beginning to give the fans flashbacks to 2014. I don't know that Baez can show his face at Dodger stadium anymore, he'll be booed so hard he'll probably cry on the mound.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote:
pr0ner wrote:19, actually.

Playing against a AAA team featuring Cabrera. 21 should be a lock.
Oddly enough, Kluber lost the last game the Indians lost.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's still insane that Red Sox brass drove Terry Francona out of town, incidentally.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Soooo if the Dodgers only played the Giants all season, looks like Bellinger would be intentionally walked about 500 times (with reason!!!).

Thanks Giants I knew you'd help us out in our time of need :).
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Avisail having a freaking day against his old squad. 5-5, 7 RBI.

Detroit is looking so done.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So the Cubs want me to pony up $50 just to participate in their post-season ticket lottery. On the odd chance that they make the playoffs, any thoughts on what sort of premium they might command on the secondary market? I'd be buying them to make a profit (if there is one to be had); I really have no desire to go even if they are (1) the sports team I've seen the most live and (2) the only sports team in town that I've never seen live in the playoffs. I would imagine the demand to be somewhat less than last year, but will it be still be a worthwhile investment?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's annoying that the Yankees are not losing more.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Lorini wrote:Really Octavious?

:lol:
Not like they have anything better to do. Hell if I look at the box score I don't know who half the f'n players are. And Harvey, holy shit what a fall. From his last interview he sounds totally defeated. So in typical Mets fashion the rotation of doom has pretty much crumbled. :roll:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Apparently the Mets are getting a new manager for next season. Something tells me Mattingly may be available.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Incredibly the Angels are still just a game out of the 2nd wild card spot. And playing the Indians and Astros they will definitely have to earn it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You heard it here first. The Dodgers won't make it past the first round this year folks. They insisted on not letting the starters continue into games, and have now worn out the bullpen. Also the hitters aren't adjusting at all to pitchers adjusting to them so the offense is dead as well. Dumb dumb dumb. And our GM thinks he's so smart. Fuck him. Get out of the spreadsheets and watch your damn team play.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If the Dodgers and Indians were in the same division, LAD would have had a 20 game lead on August 24. Today it would be a one game lead. In less than a month.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote:You heard it here first. The Dodgers won't make it past the first round this year folks. They insisted on not letting the starters continue into games, and have now worn out the bullpen. Also the hitters aren't adjusting at all to pitchers adjusting to them so the offense is dead as well. Dumb dumb dumb. And our GM thinks he's so smart. Fuck him. Get out of the spreadsheets and watch your damn team play.
You really wanted to trust Pedro Baez in the postseason? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

He's not going to make the roster. But the rest of the bullpen other than Kenley Jansen (who's gotten plenty of rest because of lack of save opportunities) is shit.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I think that's an overreaction. Cingrani, Watson, Jansen, Avilan, and Morrow have all been just fine in September, and a lot of the crap you're watching now is #SeptemberBaseball and won't make the postseason roster anyway.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Lorini wrote:Apparently the Mets are getting a new manager for next season. Something tells me Mattingly may be available.
The fact that anyone was even THINKING that Collins could come back shows how broken the Mets are. Hell I bet the entire training staff comes back even though they are setting the world record for injuries. Most of the injuries are from players lifting too much weight. Cespedes and Thor I'm talking about you. ;)

They are going to have to do something pretty amazing to get my attention next year. The WS run was awesome, but it's just been a shit show ever since. And a lot of the issues is crappy team management from top to bottom. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

pr0ner wrote:I think that's an overreaction. Cingrani, Watson, Jansen, Avilan, and Morrow have all been just fine in September, and a lot of the crap you're watching now is #SeptemberBaseball and won't make the postseason roster anyway.
I can't find an easy way to compare their Inherited runners numbers for September. I agree that Watson is good and Cingrani has gotten better. Avilan and Morrow have both been up and down. Avilan has a .386 ERA for September and although ERA doesn't mean much for relievers except as a relative stat, it's still relatively high. Stripling they tried to use as a set up guy and that was disastrous. Baez is out of the question. The problem as I mentioned is not season stats but the degradation of their stats over the last six weeks. That's the only way you can actually see that the bullpen is tiring from too many innings.

They've had SIX save opportunities in September out of 21 games, meaning that Jansen has been basically out of the picture. They have to bring some relief pitches and that can't be only Watson, Cingrani and Morrow. The others all have ERA's over 3.5 in September. Avilan's ERA is .386 for that month. What, they are going to magically freshen up? I don't believe it.

Let's look at the offense. Well Seager is hurt and is batting .180 for the month. That's not going to magically change either. Turner has a thumb contusion and who knows what that means for the next few weeks. They are going to have to carry either Forsythe or Granderson, neither reliable hitters. Forsythe likes to watch middle of the plate pitches go by. Apparently Granderson is a 'streaky' hitter and hasn't seen his streak since he got to the Dodgers, he's under .200.

There's little possibility of us getting to the NLDS if we have to depend on Bellinger and Puig for our offense. Maybe the FO will get a clue and stop starting Grandal as catcher, Barnes is awesome and we need him in the starting lineup. Grandal is also under .200 for the month, before yesterday he was .109. Yes there's more to getting on base than batting average but with a .109 average you are not getting on base a lot either.

AZ who is our likely NLDS opponent beat us up and down in September. A 'good' pitcher and a 'good' offense didn't help even when Roberts put them in. So that is why I am not optimistic.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Again, Cingrani, Watson, Jansen, Avilan, and Morrow have been just fine in September.

If you can point to stats degradation for anyone beyond Avilan out of that group in the last 6 weeks, be my guest, but I don't see how you really can.

The rest of your post isn't super relevant to the discussion, since I was only commenting on your bullpen overreaction.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So we're going to win a WS with those five. Got it.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote:So we're going to win a WS with those five. Got it.
If you can't get most of the job done with your stars it's not happening anyway.
Hodor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:You heard it here first. The Dodgers won't make it past the first round this year folks. T
ummm you weren't the first to say that...
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:
Lorini wrote:You heard it here first. The Dodgers won't make it past the first round this year folks. T
ummm you weren't the first to say that...
I know, I know. Just trash talkin :) You'll be happy so at there's that. Happy friends are nice to have :)
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Witnessed my first grand slam attending the DBacks game tonight. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow