MLB Season 2017!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Re: MLB Season 2017!

Post by Lorini »

Poor Rich Hill, he's pitching a perfect game but the offense hasn't scored one run. Could be another heartbreak if Roberts has to take him out for a pinch hitter.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

No perfect game, but no hitter still active.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So of course he gives up a home run in the bottom of the 10th. The f'ing offense better take him to dinner.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

One would think kicking someone while they are on the ground would merit more than a four game suspension but hey it's the MLB, the league that thinks fights mean higher ratings. :evil:
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

No, Millenials aren't killing baseball. Great article on what's really going on behind the scenes with baseball ratings and watchings. Basically it comes down to millenials are poor and can't afford the money for baseball games (Cubs charge $150 on average for seats? WTF?) and that sports watching by millenials is down in general. Also because the Dodgers are a big market team but they are in the bottom five of overall viewership (because you have to subscribe to Spectrum Cable to get the games) they drag viewership numbers down. I will say that we paid $52 for seats over the press box to see the Giants and $40 for the same seats to see the Mets. I'm not sure that the Dodgers could average $150 a seat in Los Angeles, there's just too many other things to do to make people want to pay that kind of a price. The other nice thing about Dodger games is that you can still park for $10. You have to buy your parking pass online, but still that's easy peasy to do. Even preemo parking is only $35 if you buy it online and it's worth skipping the near hour wait to get out of Dodger stadium after games.

In other news, the Dodgers have lost two games in the past 7 days. They are now in a slump. :)
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My preferred seats are 2nd level (Club) down the baselines. I can get tickets there for under $100, even for the Yankees on Saturday night. If I went cheapest seats, I could still get a Sat NYY seat for $30.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The Royals not only were swept by Cleveland this weekend but were shut out in all three games.

Basebal is stupid and I hate it. :grund:

Sometimes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Mariners had 5 errors in one inning yesterday. The video "highlights" of that inning are right out of a movie about professional baseball where ghosts or angels or something is influencing the game. It would be difficult to stomach in little league.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote:One would think kicking someone while they are on the ground would merit more than a four game suspension but hey it's the MLB, the league that thinks fights mean higher ratings. :evil:
I don't even know what to think. Cabrera deserves 7. After that I got nothing. They need to be handed out and sucker punches to defenseless players ought be damning but more damning than starting the fight? I don't really know. 4 games feels like nothing in 162 game season. One thing is for sure, my team is off the rails.

OtOH, hand the fight did spark my interest for the first time this season. The game was still going on my drive home and that's rare for 13:00 start.
Lorini wrote:No, Millenials aren't killing baseball. Great article on what's really going on behind the scenes with baseball ratings and watchings. Basically it comes down to millenials are poor and can't afford the money for baseball games (Cubs charge $150 on average for seats? WTF?) and that sports watching by millenials is down in general. Also because the Dodgers are a big market team but they are in the bottom five of overall viewership (because you have to subscribe to Spectrum Cable to get the games) they drag viewership numbers down. I will say that we paid $52 for seats over the press box to see the Giants and $40 for the same seats to see the Mets. I'm not sure that the Dodgers could average $150 a seat in Los Angeles, there's just too many other things to do to make people want to pay that kind of a price. The other nice thing about Dodger games is that you can still park for $10. You have to buy your parking pass online, but still that's easy peasy to do. Even preemo parking is only $35 if you buy it online and it's worth skipping the near hour wait to get out of Dodger stadium after games.

In other news, the Dodgers have lost two games in the past 7 days. They are now in a slump. :)
I think millennials were probably brought to less games as well. Sports has long since priced out working class families from making a day of seeing a sport. A family of 4 getting cheap seats at a cheap Tiger game, probably still runs you $120 after all of the fees. Then you pay $10 for parking if you want to walk two miles to the game. $20 or more the closer you get. Then is $10 for 2 soda and $18 for two large beers, which likely is not all you'll want outside for four hours. And $20 for four hot dogs. So with nothing even to remember the game by and only the basic food source. $180 is pretty much the floor a family of four for a game that is not given to them by some sort of corporate sponsorship.

The seats I like are the comfy beach seating down the baseline. I guess you call that club level. Standard pricing was $150 and you had get four of them to contain a section, which also comes with stadium parking and access to "the tiger den" and full service runners. I'd have bough them myself but again, corporate sponsorship... and those seats were awesome. Way comfortable. great view. Easy access to and from the concourse. I'd never pay $150 for them or think about the $1000s it cost be a season ticket holder. But they were the best.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I was a teenager, you could still get bleacher seats for $2 the day of the game. And no, $2 doesn't equal $100 today.

The most I ever paid to see a baseball game was $50 per ticket in Arlington; and that was just because I was indulging a friend there (bought tickets on my dime) and I happened to be staying in a hotel walking distance from the stadium. That was probably a decade ago, and was sticker shock. I think I paid for 2 other baseball tickets since, mostly going only when someone else is paying.

When I was a kid my dad took us to one game a year on average; sometimes we went with others. When I was in high school, we used to go all the time. Now, for the cost of a family to go to a game (combined with the hassle going there and back home); I'd much rather spend the money doing something active rather than passive -- a weekend camping, a day at the water park, etc. My current antipathy towards the game could very well rub off on my son; although I'd still prefer he play baseball rather than football or (shudder) soccer.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jeff V wrote:When I was a teenager, you could still get bleacher seats for $2 the day of the game. And no, $2 doesn't equal $100 today.
Yup.

This is how I spent my summers in high school - $3 to sit in right field GA and parking was free or similarly cheap. Now tickets to see the local single-A team are $15.

EDIT - looked it up - the Royals won 5-1 with Bo Jackson starting in LF and Mark Gubicza on the mound. The Tigers had Fred Lynn in LF and Trammell and Whitaker in the middle infield. :wub:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You either have a lot of cash and buy good season tickets and get value, you min/max, or you pay like a sheep. I try to min/max.

$150 for lower deck box/"club" is crazy for regular season baseball.

$175 on the South Side gets you actual club seats, open bar, lounge, parking, and open buffet.

$250 gets you behind home plate, full open bar starting 2 hours before game time, parking, dining room with buffet (good one with prime rib, etc), and unlimited in-seat service as well, all included. And you enter through the same tunnel as the players, complete with open coolers with ice cream sandwiches and lemon ice.

It's nice to go to a game and not have to worry about spending another dime. If you can't get the corporate box, this is the next best thing.

FWIW, I did pay $130 for regular box seats on Buehrle Day. But that's our world series this year.

However, I paid $14 for roughly the same seats on an August weeknight game against the Astros (Sox won in extras!). Just arrived after 5 innings and I got a magic ticket. Ended up in the front row by 3rd base.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:$150 for lower deck box/"club" is crazy for regular season baseball.

$175 on the South Side gets you actual club seats, open bar, lounge, parking, and open buffet.

$250 gets you behind home plate, full open bar starting 2 hours before game time, parking, dining room with buffet (good one with prime rib, etc), and unlimited in-seat service as well, all included. And you enter through the same tunnel as the players, complete with open coolers with ice cream sandwiches and lemon ice.

It's nice to go to a game and not have to worry about spending another dime. If you can't get the corporate box, this is the next best thing.
I'd say interactive pricing is down right now but the cheapest you can find Tiger Seating right now $73 and that is for a season that is over. It looks like you can still get a limited amount of $9 bleacher seats for some games. The the rule aound here is usually half again the price of ticket in fees. So likely that $73 ticket is $108 and that $9 game is $14.50. Still $14.50 wouldn't be bad but it's still $5 for a hot dog and $5 for soda if you are taking the family.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/ticketing ... t=gameflow
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah I think you're right. When a family could go to a game for under $100 with everything, more people took their kids to the games. Now their kids are grown and like you said when they were growing up MLB priced their families out, what should MLB expected to have happened? That someone was going to turn 25 and all of a sudden like baseball?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Dude takes a no-hitter into the 10th inning, next outing gives up five friggin runs in the first inning. Sure glad the game doesn't matter (much).
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Now we just need to bail on Ausmus and rue the fact that there is nothing you can do with Cabrera, VMart, or Zimmerman contracts.

It remains to be seen if Avila and son of Illitch will know how to rebuild....
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Sad day to be a Tiger fan. The minute I heard that they traded Upton, I knew that JV was gone as well. They have completely thrown in the towel. Sadly, it was very clear this season, that they needed to rebuild. It sucks but that's the business of baseball. If you have decided to go full on rebuild, then from a financial standpoint, the JV trade makes sense. They got some good prospects and didn't have to eat a huge portion of JV's salary going forward. I hate the trades but I understand why they did them. Its not going to be fun in Tigertown for quite some time, that's for sure. We are going to be fielding a AA team for awhile, so yeah, strap in Dorothy, it's gonna be a bumpy rid
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Never thought I'd see Upton in an Angel's uniform. They haven't had a decent left fielder since the Josh Hamilton (currently playing for the Round Rock Express) nightmare.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

rshetts2 wrote:Sad day to be a Tiger fan. The minute I heard that they traded Upton, I knew that JV was gone as well. They have completely thrown in the towel. Sadly, it was very clear this season, that they needed to rebuild. It sucks but that's the business of baseball. If you have decided to go full on rebuild, then from a financial standpoint, the JV trade makes sense. They got some good prospects and didn't have to eat a huge portion of JV's salary going forward. I hate the trades but I understand why they did them. Its not going to be fun in Tigertown for quite some time, that's for sure. We are going to be fielding a AA team for awhile, so yeah, strap in Dorothy, it's gonna be a bumpy rid
At least it will probably never be as bad as 2003.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

rshetts2 wrote:Sad day to be a Tiger fan. The minute I heard that they traded Upton, I knew that JV was gone as well. They have completely thrown in the towel. Sadly, it was very clear this season, that they needed to rebuild. It sucks but that's the business of baseball. If you have decided to go full on rebuild, then from a financial standpoint, the JV trade makes sense. They got some good prospects and didn't have to eat a huge portion of JV's salary going forward. I hate the trades but I understand why they did them. Its not going to be fun in Tigertown for quite some time, that's for sure. We are going to be fielding a AA team for awhile, so yeah, strap in Dorothy, it's gonna be a bumpy rid
I don't mind watching young players grow. Here's to hoping Cabrera can be a mentor and VMart won't poison the well. I would have done this two year ago, so my sadness for the team has long since passed. It would have been nice to have JV be a lifelong Tiger but I think that sort of loyalty to a player goes out the window with 20 million a year contracts, especially in a salary (soft) cap based game.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Dodgers get swept and on a 5 game losing streak? Kershaw is back in time to choke in the playoffs. Can't wait!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

LordMortis wrote:
I don't mind watching young players grow. Here's to hoping Cabrera can be a mentor and VMart won't poison the well. I would have done this two year ago, so my sadness for the team has long since passed. It would have been nice to have JV be a lifelong Tiger but I think that sort of loyalty to a player goes out the window with 20 million a year contracts, especially in a salary (soft) cap based game.
Yeah, Im guessing theres a good change Kinsler and Iglesias are gone in the off season and V Mart may be done as well, due to heart health issues. So what we are going to basically have next season in Detroit is Miggy and the Mud Hens. ( hey that makes a great rockband name!)
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:Dodgers get swept and on a 5 game losing streak? Kershaw is back in time to choke in the playoffs. Can't wait!
How many games have the Giants won this season? Five? 10 maybe? I'm fairly sure Yasiel Puig has hit more home runs than the entire Giants team has, just sayin'
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You can have Darvish back anytime, Isgrimmur. I don't know if he's going to make the postseason rotation, if he does, it'll be because of the money they have to pay him, he's pitching like crap. Of course the entire rotation is pitching like crap except Kershaw, so maybe he'll make it anyway.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Royals started a 28 year old rookie who pitched in the Mexican leagues last year against the Twins who they desperately need to beat to have any hope to catch up in the wild card standings.

It... did not go well.

:grund:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Man, 17-0? Did the position players decide to go on strike? :shock:
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

OK naednek, I'll become a Giants fan for next season if these idiot Dodgers don't win the division. You heard it here first.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:OK naednek, I'll become a Giants fan for next season if these idiot Dodgers don't win the division. You heard it here first.

Preserving the post.

Like every year towards the end, we Lorini start to sweat knowing what's to come:)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote:OK naednek, I'll become a Giants fan for next season if these idiot Dodgers don't win the division. You heard it here first.
If the Dodgers blow this lead after reaching 91 wins in August(!), it will go down as the biggest choke in the history of baseball. At least the Padres did their part by taking 3 of 4 over the weekend.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote:
If the Dodgers blow this lead after reaching 91 wins in August(!), it will go down as the biggest choke in the history of baseball sports. At least the Padres did their part by taking 3 of 4 over the weekend.
Fixed that for you. Yeah I was thinking of asking them if we could put Kershaw on a three day rotation since he's had all that rest, shouldn't need much more right??? :)
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Wow Red Sox caught stealing signals using an apple watch. Apparently they have been doing it for weeks. Honestly I think they should be banned from the playoffs, but has that ever been done before?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Octavious wrote:Wow Red Sox caught stealing signals using an apple watch. Apparently they have been doing it for weeks. Honestly I think they should be banned from the playoffs, but has that ever been done before?
Nothing will happen. Manfred is too timid to do much of anything about anything.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Octavious wrote:Wow Red Sox caught stealing signals using an apple watch. Apparently they have been doing it for weeks. Honestly I think they should be banned from the playoffs, but has that ever been done before?
Did they ever ban players on second base from stealing signals? Was there ever a penalty for reading lips during player conferences at the mound?

AFAIK, stealing signals has always been part of the game. If an opponent decides to launch a signal-stealing satellite into orbit, then you have two choices as I see it -- launch a SDI satellite to take it out, or maybe just launch your own signal-stealer for parity. Either way, higher ticket prices ought to cover it.

Baseball has much bigger problems than using mundane technology to do what everyone has been trying to do since Abner Doubleday threw his first beanball on orders from General Hooker over suspected stolen dispatches during the Civil War.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I think using the trainers is out of bounds. What's next, bribing the bat boys/girls with ice cream??
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Stealing signs by using devices is wayyyyyyyyy different than another player stealing signs. This is a serious party foul and should have harsh punishment.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hahaha - you guys are funny. So is the idea that devices have never been used before. I look forward to reading the many stories from decrepit players calling out this "travesty".
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Right on cue.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Doing it manually from second base is frowned upon but not actionable. MLB rules ban using optics (binoculars, cameras, telescopes, etc) and any electronic means (video, radio, presumably Apple watches). Basically if you can do it the old fashioned way and get away with it, good on you. If you try to take it to the next level, not allowed.
stessier wrote:Hahaha - you guys are funny. So is the idea that devices have never been used before. I look forward to reading the many stories from decrepit players calling out this "travesty".
Detecting a pattern there in New England...

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:
Did they ever ban players on second base from stealing signals? Was there ever a penalty for reading lips during player conferences at the mound?

AFAIK, stealing signals has always been part of the game. If an opponent decides to launch a signal-stealing satellite into orbit, then you have two choices as I see it -- launch a SDI satellite to take it out, or maybe just launch your own signal-stealer for parity. Either way, higher ticket prices ought to cover it.

Baseball has much bigger problems than using mundane technology to do what everyone has been trying to do since Abner Doubleday threw his first beanball on orders from General Hooker over suspected stolen dispatches during the Civil War.
I think stealing signals is not the problem. The problem is using assistive technologies to relay stolen signals.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Detecting a pattern there in New England...
That's the volume on radio chatter this morning. The Pats came up even before the mention that electronic devices are verboten and seem to be a louder part of the discussion, synonymous with the assumption that nothing will come of allegations so using assistive technologies will become a lip service rule and, in essence, won't be cheating.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Doing it manually from second base is frowned upon but not actionable. MLB rules ban using optics (binoculars, cameras, telescopes, etc) and any electronic means (video, radio, presumably Apple watches). Basically if you can do it the old fashioned way and get away with it, good on you. If you try to take it to the next level, not allowed.
That was going to be my question - is there a specific rule against it. It sounds like there is, so the Red Sox should get punished. They're not going to get banned from the playoffs - that would be a gross overreaction. They'll probably lose some draft picks and/or international money and have a fine.

Does anyone recall the punishment St. Louis got when they used The Cardinal WayTM to hack into the Astros' computers and get their scouting info? I think that was a more egregious crime, but probably had less overall organizational involvement.
That's my purse! I don't know you!