MLB Season 2017!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Re: MLB Season 2017!

Post by Lorini »

Thanks Puig! It would have been embarrassing for the Dodgers to lose on Jackie Robinson day. And our Manager Roberts shows again he makes decisions to win games not soothe starting pitcher egos as Maeda was pulled after 3 1/2 innings.

Speaking of Jackie Robinson day, imagine the game if only white players played it today. Often discrimination is discussed as a problem for victims of it, but there's a corollary problem for organizations that discriminate, they don't get the best people. They talk about diversity and all but when baseball opened up the league to non white men, they got better players. There are so many black, Asian and Hispanic players that have helped their teams to win games and the sport wouldn't be as good without them. Thanks Dodgers! Thanks Jackie!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Thanks Dodgers! Thanks Jackie!
Shoulders of giants. So many amazing players and stories that led to Robinson and Doby.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Thankfully the Mets aren't playing the Marlins in the next series. They just can't beat that team. :tjg:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
naednek

Post by naednek »

Last time the Giants were in KC...

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I like the inter league play happening all season, makes it interesting. Yeah naednek needs to depend on memories just like me now :)
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

How about Bronson Arroyo?

Dude can still compete even if he has lost a little bit.
The 40-year-old Arroyo (1-2) allowed three runs in five innings, including Adam Jones' two-run homer in the fifth. The victory was Arroyo's first since June 15, 2014, for Arizona against the Dodgers. That was his last appearance before elbow and shoulder injuries knocked him out of action until this month. The longtime Red got his first win with Cincinnati since Sept. 22, 2013.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Arroyo being 40 makes me feel old. Also, being old makes me feel old.

Cubs snapped their 4 game losing streak tonight!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm old. In Dodger world, no the pitching's not great but hey offense, you can't expect pitchers to win games if you can't muster more than 1 or 2 runs.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

naednek wrote:Last time the Giants were in KC...
That sucked but 2015 made up for it. :P

The game last night was sort of pathetic. Other than Merrifield KC has no offense at all and Mondesi has no business batting in a MLB game. I'm starting to really worry about Gordon and his massive contract - but on the bright side we probably won't have to worry about Hosmer getting a big contract offer from a large-market team this offseason.

It would have been nice to win last night because tonight Bumgarner pitches. With the way our offense is going I expect he'll throw a perfect game.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Exodor wrote:

The game last night was sort of pathetic. Other than Merrifield KC has no offense at all and Mondesi has no business batting in a MLB game. I'm starting to really worry about Gordon and his massive contract - but on the bright side we probably won't have to worry about Hosmer getting a big contract offer from a large-market team this offseason.

It would have been nice to win last night because tonight Bumgarner pitches. With the way our offense is going I expect he'll throw a perfect game.

I don't know, Bumgarner hasn't won a game yet... Although he's pitched pretty well, it's our bullpen and lack of offense that hits us when he pitches.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:
Exodor wrote:

I don't know, Bumgarner hasn't won a game yet... Although he's pitched pretty well, it's our bullpen and lack of offense that hits us when he pitches.
Pitchers don't win games just sayin :D
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Lorini wrote:
naednek wrote:
Exodor wrote:

In the National League they do.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Nope, TEAMS win games.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:
naednek wrote:
Exodor wrote:
That sucked but 2015 made up for it. Image

Told ya

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

naednek wrote:Told ya
Not the game I expected them to win in that series but I'll take it.

4 teams in the AL Central are now tied for second at 7-7.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Pretty cool - both what the father does and Rizzo's contribution.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Tyler Anderson, the pitcher last night for the Rockies really pissed Kershaw off. They couldn't/wouldn't start the game until he moseyed his way to his dugout Which meant the game started after the normal 7:10 start time which annoyed Kershaw. So much that Kershaw had a really bad (for him) first inning. Walked a guy, got bases loaded, everything. I thought he was injured, but it turned out he was simply irritated and pitched a Kershaw game after that inning.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote:Tyler Anderson, the pitcher last night for the Rockies really pissed Kershaw off. They couldn't/wouldn't start the game until he moseyed his way to his dugout Which meant the game started after the normal 7:10 start time which annoyed Kershaw. So much that Kershaw had a really bad (for him) first inning. Walked a guy, got bases loaded, everything. I thought he was injured, but it turned out he was simply irritated and pitched a Kershaw game after that inning.
Going to hazard a guess that opposing pitchers in the future aren't going to rush to their dugouts when they're up against Kershaw.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

what a baby
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote:
Lorini wrote:Tyler Anderson, the pitcher last night for the Rockies really pissed Kershaw off. They couldn't/wouldn't start the game until he moseyed his way to his dugout Which meant the game started after the normal 7:10 start time which annoyed Kershaw. So much that Kershaw had a really bad (for him) first inning. Walked a guy, got bases loaded, everything. I thought he was injured, but it turned out he was simply irritated and pitched a Kershaw game after that inning.
Going to hazard a guess that opposing pitchers in the future aren't going to rush to their dugouts when they're up against Kershaw.
Technically they are violating the rules.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:what a baby
I think all baseball players have their peculiarities, I once read about one player who took literally half an hour to get dressed because he had to have everything just so or else his game would be off.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks, Angels!
https://twitter.com/RangerBlake/status/ ... 3569710080
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Like Bumgarner needing to go on the DL after riding his dirt bike, right?
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote:
Like Bumgarner needing to go on the DL after riding his dirt bike, right?
Yeah, dirt bike.

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

That's not being a baby, that's being like Jeff Kent

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:That's not being a baby, that's being like Jeff Kent

At least our ace is smart, just sayin'
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

And then the bullpen goes to shit. They've given up eight runs in the bottom of the 8th and still haven't gotten out of the inning. And the offense scored five whole runs!! Geezus
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Dunno maybe Cueto giving up an inside the park home run PLUS a grand slam IN THE SAME INNING makes up for all this :)
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Still reserving excitement about the Rockies start.

They have two rookies in the starting rotation and none of the others, besides maybe John Grey, excite me. I'm not convinced this will continue to last. It's a recipe for the bullpen to be over worked by July.

On the positive side, their offense has been mediocre thus far and they are winning.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Perfect article on why I hate pitcher wins. Sale pitched out of his mind but doesn't get the 'win'?? WTF???
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Xmann wrote:Still reserving excitement about the Rockies start.

They have two rookies in the starting rotation and none of the others, besides maybe John Grey, excite me. I'm not convinced this will continue to last. It's a recipe for the bullpen to be over worked by July.

On the positive side, their offense has been mediocre thus far and they are winning.

The Dodger radio guys were talking about Coors field and it's reputation. Turns out it's fifth in the league in home runs hit, who knew?? (Safeco is first).
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:

The Dodger radio guys were talking about Coors field and it's reputation. Turns out it's fifth in the league in home runs hit, who knew?? (Safeco is first).
The humidor storage of the balls really changed the dynamics of Coors field.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote:Perfect article on why I hate pitcher wins. Sale pitched out of his mind but doesn't get the 'win'?? WTF???
Is there anyone who still puts credence in the wins stat? I mean, it can be fun...sort of like the triple double...but it really is for entertainmenf purposes only.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote:
Lorini wrote:Perfect article on why I hate pitcher wins. Sale pitched out of his mind but doesn't get the 'win'?? WTF???
Is there anyone who still puts credence in the wins stat? I mean, it can be fun...sort of like the triple double...but it really is for entertainmenf purposes only.
Over time it does tend to be a better measurement.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Pyperkub wrote:
Lorini wrote:

The humidor storage of the balls really changed the dynamics of Coors field.
Coors Field is still an awesome hitting park, but primarily because the outfield is so spacious.

The humidor definitely made a difference and it's not the homerun derby that most assume it is.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote:
stessier wrote:
Naw.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets stink this year. If they resign Collins I'm not watching anymore. His contract is ending this year and he's terrible + he's like 900 years old. And the training staff needs to be knifed. No other team has some many mystery injures. Well aside from the dirt bikes. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The only good thing about this month is that the Giants are worse than we are. Most times we have no offense. When we get offense we have no pitching. Yesterday we only gave up 11 runs instead of 13. Woooooo
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
stessier wrote:
Naw.
Ok, why not? You only ever complain about it on here on a game by game basis, not over longer periods of time.
Hodor.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

pr0ner wrote:
Lorini wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Over time it does tend to be a better measurement.
Naw.
Ok, why not? You only ever complain about it on here on a game by game basis, not over longer periods of time.

Start here.
it’s long past time for fans, analysts, baseball people — anyone having anything to do with the game — to stop paying attention to pitcher wins and losses. Doing so would enhance our understanding of the sport and lead to better decisions by both organizations and those charged with handing out hardware.

The idea that we should assign wins and losses to individual players is an absurdity unique to baseball. This is, of course, a team sport, and given the determinative roles the offense and bullpen play in the matter of which team wins and which team loses, it’s inexplicable that we assign glory or blame to an individual pitcher.

As we all know, a starting pitcher gets a win for working at least five innings and giving his team a lead that’s never relinquished. Sounds harmless enough, but in practice a pitcher can — by any reasonable standard — stink up the joint and still get a shiny "W" next to his name.

By the same token, a pitcher can "lose" a game in which he was utterly dominant. The defense can let him down, or the bullpen can fritter away his lead, or he can get no run support. If he’s especially fortunate on such days, he’ll escape with a no-decision despite giving his team ample chance to win. In fact, you can throw a no-hitter and still be slapped with a loss; you can retire the first 36(!) batters you face, give up one unearned run in 12.2 innings and still somehow "lose"; and you can win an ERA title while going 8-16.

Let us only briefly wander into the thicket of idiocy that are the rules governing reliever wins and losses. Some variation of the following happens all the time: Closer blows save at home, offense pushes a run across in the bottom half, closer gets win. If starting pitcher wins and losses are mostly useless, then reliever wins and losses are actively harmful.