Teach me of maple syrups

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheMix

Re: Teach me of maple syrups

Post by TheMix »

Paingod wrote:
TheMix wrote:I will note that some people don't like the real stuff because it's "too strong" or "too sweet". It can take getting used to.
My wife doesn't care for anything but the lightest maple syrup in small quantities. It is simply pure sugar flavored naturally by the tree, boiled down into a thick, delicious drizzle. It's not a smooth blend of three kinds of chemically combined sugar with artificial flavoring.

While you might drown your pancakes in "tradtitional" syrup, I prefer to use Maple as a side in a small (like teacup) bowl. I gently dip my pancakes in there to flavor them. No good comes of slathering on a thick coating that the pancake soaks up.
Warming the syrup will actually help with that a lot. It becomes very thin, so you don't get that thick coating.

Edit: Figures... I decide not to quote and I end up on a new page. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Let's not forget that maple syrup is actually good for you too.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Z-Corn wrote:Let's not forget that maple syrup is actually good for you too.
Yes, that's going to be my excuse next time I dump half a pint of syrup on my waffles :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

gilraen wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:Let's not forget that maple syrup is actually good for you too.
Yes, that's going to be my excuse next time I dump half a pint of syrup on my waffles :D
You dump that much on your waffles, and I'm definitely going to raise my eyebrows at you. :o

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Oh I love lots of real maple syrup. Pour it all over my waffles or pancakes. Let it soak up the rich sugar. Delicious.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

I also never had real maple syrup until I was an adult. Now I always make sure to have some on hand in case I want to have pancakes or waffles (or a spoon full of maple syrup). It's just incomparably delicious. It is part of what I now call the Sugar Triumvirate:

Maple Syrup
            ^
          /__\
  Honey     Molasses

I don't see myself ever buying "table syrup" again.

I ain't goin back!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been craving Molasses for a month.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

TheMix wrote:Also, for someone that is trying real maple syrup for the first time, you may want to warm the syrup up (I generally just microwave for a bit but a friend likes to warm in a pan of water on the stove). This thins it out quite a bit, so you will probably use less; and maybe not overdose on sweetness. A little actually goes a long way. Plus, it's just nicer to have warm syrup.
Back in the late '70s or early '80s I read an article by a guy named Ted Trueblood. He was a writer for Field and Stream I think it was. Anyways he wrote up a fishing trip he took and in the article he described making breakfast over the campfire. He casually mentioned warming the syrup for his pancakes because he said nothing ruined the enjoyment of warm pancakes like drizzling cold syrup on them.

I thought that was an awesome idea. Since then I've always warmed the syrup when I make pancakes. And yes it does make a huge difference, even with fake syrup, I can imagine with real syrup it's even better.
KDH

Post by KDH »

well, thanks to this thread I have purchased 100% pure Maple syrup (type A) .. but after reading the ingredients of my table syrup I'm nervous about trying it .. I might OD.

I will consider penciling-in pancakes on the schedule .. soon .. soon'ish
Ain't nobody got time for that
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Well, I got some this week, Nova Maple Syrup from northwest Pennsylvania. I know the goto places are either Canada or the NE US, but I read some good things about Nova and decided to go with them. It's Grade A, so not the hardcore stuff.

Yeah, it's good, a lot better than the fake stuff. Mainly I like the 'clean' taste it has. I happen to have some of the fake stuff, so I was able to do a direct comparison test. It's hard to describe but it's like the difference between drinking tap water vs drinking some sparkling clean spring water. They are both just water, but one just feels like what you should be drinking. This syrup makes me think "THIS is what I should have been using all along".

I'd say cost really isn't a factor because, for me at least, I'd use far less of the real stuff than the fake stuff. If you want to add some flavor to your pancakes, a little of this will do it. So you'll spend the same amount, if not less, over the long haul. On the other hand, if you're the type who just likes to drown their pancakes in syrup, and I'm not judging you here, then this kind of stuff would be a waste of money to use.

Added bonus, this syrup works great in baking. It's not as thick as the fake stuff, so it mixes well in your wet ingredients.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I use it in my granola recipe. Yum.

Black Lives Matter

Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

TheMix wrote:I use it in my granola recipe. Yum.
Perfect use for Grade B - or if they no longer label stuff grade B, any darker grade A.

edit to add: Bob puts maple syrup on vanilla ice cream.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Bad Demographic wrote:
TheMix wrote:I use it in my granola recipe. Yum.
Perfect use for Grade B - or if they no longer label stuff grade B, any darker grade A.

edit to add: Bob puts maple syrup on vanilla ice cream.
Ahhhh... We used to put it on snow. I think we even had a specific name. Or not. It might have been just "syrup and snow". :D I'd forgotten all about that.

Black Lives Matter

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of maple syrup, this is a recent headline. Three men were convicted for stealing 18 million worth of maple syrup. Don't mess with the syrup!

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/thre ... bec-601638
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

while St-Pierre must pay $1.3 million over 15 years or be imprisoned for five years.

You could buy a lot of maple syrup, at least a few gallons, with $1.3 million.
mori

Post by mori »

The Holy Grail of maple syrup. I do not like pancakes, but on a Belgian waffle with smoked sausage :dance: , this might be magical. Probably too much for French Toast.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As it turns out I never did get any. Its the way me buying stuff turns out. im sure something came up.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Well, I haven't bought any more so I don't know, maybe you're not missing much after all. It is good but it's not so good that I've felt motivated to get more of the stuff. It's sort of good-ish. My cutoff for being really good is when I like something so much it becomes a staple in my shopping list.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

mori wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:06 pm The Holy Grail of maple syrup. I do not like pancakes, but on a Belgian waffle with smoked sausage :dance: , this might be magical. Probably too much for French Toast.
We got some, the kiddo didn't like it. So that's the end of that. :(
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
KDH

Post by KDH »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:34 pm
... We got some, the kiddo didn't like it. So that's the end of that. :(

Did the kiddo know, in advance, it was something different?
Ain't nobody got time for that
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

mori wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:06 pm The Holy Grail of maple syrup. I do not like pancakes, but on a Belgian waffle with smoked sausage :dance: , this might be magical. Probably too much for French Toast.
Yep, that's a local product for us so I always keep a bottle around.

I believe you tried the beer Frootwood from Founder's. It is aged in the BLiS barrels. I really liked that beer...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

KDH wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:53 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:34 pm
... We got some, the kiddo didn't like it. So that's the end of that. :(

Did the kiddo know, in advance, it was something different?
No. She goes through syrup pretty quickly so she's always getting different sorts but we don't announce a change.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Walmart brand, 1 quart, $14.

I should start a bootlegging business.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Earthworms are often seen as a welcome presence in gardens, and even on fishing hooks. But in the Northeast, experts say invasive "crazy worms" from Asia are creating havoc in forests — and they say the unusual worms are a danger to animals and plants, and especially to sugar maple trees.

"The street cred that they have is hiding the invasion," Josef Görres, a soil scientist at the University of Vermont, says of the worms.
Crazy worms — also known as jumper worms — reproduce rapidly. They also love to tear through the nutritious layer of decomposing leaves and nutrients that blanket the forest floor — a habit that can be very damaging to forests, including maple trees.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Can these worms still catch bass?
Black Lives Matter
Formix

Post by Formix »

On a trip to VT last week, I decided to buy some "local" maple syrup. I went into a store advertising that they had some, and found . . . the exact same syrup I buy in Walmart in NC. Disappointed, I went to the farmer's market and found some truly local stuff, and some smoked maple syrup. I highly recommend it. He even has a website - https://www.sugarbobsfinestkind.com