The Road to My Master's

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

The Road to My Master's

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hello, friends. Isgrimnur here.

As noted in the career thread, I've decided to kill three birds with one stone and go back to school for a Master's in MIS through the online program at the University of Arizona:

1) Increase my career prospects in the long-term, be they here or elsewhere
2) Extract a higher level of remuneration from my company by getting them to pay for it
3) Leverage the tuition reimbursement as a lower-interest debt consolidation vehicle.

1) My boss is retiring as of early July. At the moment, there is no defined plan in place as to his succession. Given that I've been management for under two years, I don't hold out much hope that I'll be seriously considered for a promotion in the fallout. It would be nice, and I've been increasing my work attachment and visibility over the past year to improve my prospects, but I'm not holding my breath.

2) The modern work landscape puts us in a situation where raises, be they yearly or otherwise, are usually in the area of keeping you treading water financially. So I've determined that I want to go back to school for professional development. The tuition reimbursement plan offers a way to do that while acquiring some tangible benefit that I can take with me if the day comes that I separate. My initial job evaluation timeline had me locked in for another year and a half for pension vesting at five years. This two-year program will keep me in a year past completion to avoid having to pay back any of the reimbursement, so that puts me at July, 2020.

3) I still have $20k+ revolving debt, and interest rates are going up. While some of it is under balance transfer rates, the base rates are all over 10% and rates are increasing. I should be able to fund the classes with Stafford loans at more reasonable rates. I can then use the reimbursement checks to pay off the higher-rate debt and consolidate the loans to lock in lower rates.

--------

One other interesting aspect of this is that The University of Arizona was the site of my first attempt at college, and my two semesters of 0.667 GPA led to a rapid departure and a forced year off. While the lessons learned from that year and the fallout have certainly had a positive long-term aspect to my path since then, it's still the site of one of my largest personal failures, and the well-regarded program and the online nature of it offer me an opportunity to return to that venue and vindicate myself in that regard.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Re: The Road to My Master's

Post by Paingod »

I wish you the best of luck. I know I need to go back to school for at least a Bachelor's, and probably more. I've only got the Associates, which is a higher degree than anyone in my family, and doing fairly well - but I could be doing better. I keep dragging my heels because, well, we're not hurting and if there's no fire under my ass it's hard to motivate me.
Isgrimnur wrote:my two semesters of 0.667 GPA
World of Warcraft?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know anything about the online program at Arizona, but try to do your homework for the various instructors (if possible) to see if there is variation in how specific classes are being offered. I am part of a pool of instructors for a intro level course and event though we all use the same book, our take on the material and expectations are all very different. This sounds like a "no duh" comment, but I've found it's not something people consider. Not all instructors are the same and if you have a choice, do some research to find the instructor that meshes with what you're interested in and what they expect from students.

Additionally, as someone that teaches online courses I want to tell you that time management will be critical to your experience. If you're not a highly-scheduled person or have a work or personal schedule that varies week to week, make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into with a specific online course. Again, here's where doing your homework on the instructor might be the most important element. My online classes are asynchronous but I have very specific deadlines for assignments. For some people, it's great. For others (that have poor time management skills) it's a nightmare. I personally would have failed every online class as an undergrad because I was in no way capable of managing a virtual environment. I could barely manage the real world.

The other thing sort of related to time management is the quality of the time you carve out for yourself. You're going to need a quiet place to read or work on whatever it is you've been tasked with. If that's not possible at home or you don't trust yourself to not get distracted by the million other things that are going to be likely more interesting than whatever it is you're supposed to be doing for 3 credits, figure out where you can go to work undisturbed. I spent many hours at a local library, even if it was just to read and process information. At the time, the wife and I were both earning our Masters degrees, so there was mutual respect for whatever time was needed to push through the work. However, I remember many of the people I was in classes with complaining that their spouses were always giving them grief over needing quiet time or time away to work on papers. They were generally miserable and I felt really bad for them.

I loved earning a Masters degree. It was a complete 180 degree difference from what always felt like I was being punished with or tested for as an undergrad. Give 'em hell!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote:
World of Warcraft?
1993-94. Magic: The Gathering, among others.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have the home office, which has doors that I can close. I plan on purchasing the dead-tree version of any books requires so that I can read them out on the back porch while keeping the dogs entertained.

The wife and I are generally pretty good about not harassing the other at home if one is off doing something else. And I have the weapon of telling her that every drop in letter grade will cost us $600 in reimbursement.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Paingod wrote:
World of Warcraft?
2017-18 Octopus Overlords, Info googling and Steam sales announcements.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
KDH

Post by KDH »

oh, I thought this was a fifty shades of grey thing
Ain't nobody got time for that
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Paingod wrote:
World of Warcraft?
I'm very thankful I went to college from 1991 - 1995 for two reasons - the lack of cell phone cameras and the unavailability of MMORPGs. I spent enough time playing text MUDs - if something like Everquest or WoW had existed I never would have graduated.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

KDH wrote:oh, I thought this was a fifty shades of grey thing
Yeah, I was like, "wow, I'm glad Isgrimnur feels that he can be so open here."
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's obvious there are Jim Nantz fans around here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:It's obvious there are Jim Nantz fans around here.
You engage in BDSM with Jim Nantz??
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You wouldn't believe what that man can do with a putter and a mic cable.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:I don't know anything about the online program at Arizona, but try to do your homework for the various instructors (if possible) to see if there is variation in how specific classes are being offered. I am part of a pool of instructors for a intro level course and event though we all use the same book, our take on the material and expectations are all very different. This sounds like a "no duh" comment, but I've found it's not something people consider. Not all instructors are the same and if you have a choice, do some research to find the instructor that meshes with what you're interested in and what they expect from students.
Unfortunately, each session has 3-4 classes total, one per topic. Professor-shopping will not be an option.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've also found that even for bigger schools that it is increasingly difficult to get good faculty information. Every class seems to be taught by adjuncts now. Not that they aren't good but as mentioned they have widely different approaches to things. But that is true of any academics so I don't see it necessarily as a downside. It just isn't like when I went to undergrad (in those good old days!!) and everyone knew who the terrible professors were.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Another online instructor here. The online format is a really great way to earn a degree while not totally uprooting your life. I'll echo the above and say that time management is key (keep in mind that every forum post you make and assignment you upload is date stamped). Bonus tip: e-mail each instructor that you have at the start of the course to introduce yourself as well as to express your goal of earning an A. We're not robots, so if we have a bit of personal relationship with you and know what you are shooting for then you are way more likely to get leeway.

Also, for any paper make sure to use proper academic essay formatting. You'll likely use APA format. This entails both how the text looks on the page as well as proper use of in-text citations and a reference page. Your papers will almost certainly be run through Turnitin, a service that matches your text to sources and provides the instructor with "similarity index" score. Generally, anything above 25% is going to get scrutiny and plagiarism does not require intent. Any information that does not come from your personal experience or is not common knowledge needs to be cited. Quotations, paraphrases, and summaries all require in-text citations. (Apologies if you already know this stuff--I'm just being a salty old writing instructor :lol: )

Good luck and have fun!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

While nobody is complaining, we do expect to see a marked improvement in the quality of your research here once you complete your degree. :coffee:

See El Guapo for your new improved title (is Master Intern a thing?)
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now if I can just get the registrar to remove my 'permanent disqualification' hold from 2010 so that I can register for classes.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As a side note, you should be aware that it is generally considered poor form in academia to yell "BAM!" when you answer a question before another student.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote:While nobody is complaining, we do expect to see a marked improvement in the quality of your research here once you complete your degree. :coffee:

See El Guapo for your new improved title (is Master Intern a thing?)
Hmmm, you know, I could use a new forum intern (or forum graduate student TA), since stessier keeps slacking off on the job.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am glad this did not exist when I was in college. I have always researched and quoted heavily, while adding my own commentary and analysis in reaching a conclusion. I dread what a computerized score of my writing might conclude.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote:I've also found that even for bigger schools that it is increasingly difficult to get good faculty information.
Sadly, that's true. There are surveys that go out and the results are published to the community, but they have a very low response rate and they tend to be completed by min/max reviewers. Ratemyprofessor is the same way. Reviews are filled with students that love or hate someone...no middle ground. Word of mouth is absolutely still the greatest way to get information, but I don't know how you'd do that for a distance learning program. Might need some on-the-ground operatives.
Every class seems to be taught by adjuncts now.
My employer has indicated adjuncts (like me) teach about 30% of all the credit hours provided at the school. And for a fraction of the price! Such a deal! My attitude as an adjunct is that I'm there to provide students with a unique experience. They should be learning from me something that they cannot learn from someone else - because my class(es) are amalgamations of my education and work experiences. If you can learn what I'm providing completely from a textbook, why bother coming to class? I am pretty sure most if not all of my lecturers from graduate school were non-academics. It's another reason I enjoyed graduate school so much - because it was a healthy mix of theoretical and actual. Not sure how that'll be for MIS but hopefully there's a blend.
Isgrimnur wrote:Unfortunately, each session has 3-4 classes total, one per topic. Professor-shopping will not be an option.
My program was the same and there really weren't too many options for instructors either. Explore if you can, resign yourself to learn something about dealing with difficult people as a worst case scenario. :D
Hamlet3145 wrote:Bonus tip: e-mail each instructor that you have at the start of the course to introduce yourself as well as to express your goal of earning an A. We're not robots, so if we have a bit of personal relationship with you and know what you are shooting for then you are way more likely to get leeway.
I'm totally an emotionless robot, so this wouldn't work on me. :D I do appreciate getting to know students as part of the online discussions and it's actually nice to get emails from students with information about why they're taking the class. What their interests are, how their experiences relate to the topic we're examining and maybe what they think they'll be doing after graduation. The online environment can feel rather sterile, so I'd agree that any connection you can make will help. I totally support doing anything that converts you from a student ID number to a person, for sure. Just don't be a grade grubber. We hates grade grubbers. Hates.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I think my niece is currently in an on-line program to get her masters at Arizona. Small world.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Fantastic, this is exciting news Isgrimnur! Just please take pity on your significant other and give her twice as much slack as you normally would. I've seen a lot of couples struggle when one is off getting an advanced degree, hug her often and early. :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Who's your Master? Good isgrimsquatch... have you been chipped yet?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Zarathud wrote:I am glad this did not exist when I was in college. I have always researched and quoted heavily, while adding my own commentary and analysis in reaching a conclusion. I dread what a computerized score of my writing might conclude.
Plagiarism-wise, as long as you cited everything appropriately you would be fine. Stylistically, using too many quotes can come off as fragmented and can leave the reader wondering what the essay's author actually thinks. What I tell students is to save direct quotes for emphasis or if you want to call attention to the original source's actual words. Most of the time, outside information should be included through paraphrasing or summarizing in your own words.*

*In-text citation still needed!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So classes have started. And by class, that means listening to a recorded lecture with an accompanying PowerPoint presentation with the full transcript attached. As that's going to absolutely nothing for my retention, I'm sitting down and writing notes as if I were actually in class.

Of course, the dogs don't like to leave me alone when I'm in the office and no one else is entertaining them, so I'm listening to the audio on the XBox while I peruse the slides on my phone. I am all about the 21st century education experience.

Post by Default »

Webcam live streaming or it never happened!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Doing my masters online was well, had to pause this year with my wife being sick but back at it next year.. my program mark is 100% final exam, it sucks but it is what it is.

My advice, make a study schedule and absolutely write notes. Otherwise I would come out of a four hour study session and realize I remember 10% of the content. I'm a shitty theory student though, I do way better hands on.
No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

400 total points available before any extra credit (max 20 available). 375 needed for an A. I got 384.

CNSS 4011 – Information Systems Security Professionals
CNSS 4012 – Senior Systems Managers
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:400 total points available before any extra credit (max 20 available). 375 needed for an A. I got 384.

CNSS 4011 – Information Systems Security Professionals
CNSS 4012 – Senior Systems Managers
:clap:

So my computer is running a little slow. Can you figure it out? Also, I need you to show me how to install Google.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I can probably tell you how bad your passwords are. Post them, and I'll let you know.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:I can probably tell you how bad your passwords are. Post them, and I'll let you know.
I heard 123456 is bad so I changed them to 654321. Tricky, eh?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Absolutely.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Next up: Information Security Risk Management

Post by Default »

Did we establish yet whether the road led through Mordor?
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:Next up: Information Security Risk Management
We have a team at work by the same name... they are in contention with auditors for most dreaded contacts. They never email to say everything looks great.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Excellent...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Next up: Information Security Risk Management
We have a team at work by the same name... they are in contention with auditors for most dreaded contacts. They never email to say everything looks great.
I mean, would it kill them to not be such nervous nellies all the time?
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Whoa, missed this. Way to go, sounds like a solid plan!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks.

Grading for this class will be:
  • 30% based on three risk assessment assignments
  • 25% quizzes
  • 20% final
  • 25% online discussion participation (blech)