[TV] Wheel of Time series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[TV] Wheel of Time series

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
The long-gestating “Wheel of Time” TV series adaptation is moving forward with Sony Pictures Television.
Sony will produce along with Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures. Rafe Judkins is attached to write and executive produce. Judkins previously worked on shows such as ABC’s “Agents of SHIELD,” the Netflix series “Hemlock Grove,” and the NBC series “Chuck.” Red Eagle partners Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will executive produce along with Radar’s Ted Field and Mike Weber. Darren Lemke will also executive produce, with Jordan’s widow Harriet McDougal serving as consulting producer.

This is the first news on the series since April of last year, when McDougal shared an update on the planned adaptation online. “Wanted to share with you exciting news about ‘The Wheel of Time,’” she wrote on Google+. “Legal issues have been resolved. ‘The Wheel of Time’ will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio.”

An adaptation of “The Wheel of Time” novels has been in development in one form or another going back as far as 2000, but the projects mostly never made it past that stage. However, a pilot episode called “Winter Dragon” aired on FXX back in February 2015 starring Max Ryan and Billy Zane. It aired at 1:30 a.m. with no prior publicity. After the episode aired, McDougal released a statement saying she had no knowledge of it being produced.
Spoiler:
I thought we already had a thread on the ashcan pilot, but I can't find it.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Re: [TV] Wheel of Time series

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wired on the horrible 'pilot'.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Spoiler:
Not a thread, but an embedded discussion. If you'd like search tips, I can provide a few. :wink:

Regardless, it probably deserves it's own thread now.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Spoiler:
Not a thread, but an embedded discussion. If you'd like search tips, I can provide a few. :wink:
Oooh, sick burn... :clap:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D :text-thankyouyellow:
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just watched the FXX show. If you take it as an amateur stage production, its not bad. Makes me want to see what someone who knows what they are doing can make,
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I hope the effects budget is big enough to include all of the braid tugging and skirt smoothing.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
DD*

Post by DD* »

Now *this* is a fantasy series tailor made for MTV; maybe they can pick up WoT and give Shannara to someone that knows what they are doing?
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tor
A recent Deadline interview with Jennifer Salke, the new head of Amazon Studios, confirmed what had been rumored for some time: A television adaptation of Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time series is one of the projects in development at the streaming service. While news broke in 2017 that Sony Pictures Television was adapting the series, with Rafe Judkins as showrunner, this interview confirms Amazon’s role in the adaptation.

The project gets one mention in the larger piece:

DEADLINE: What is the status of other high-profile genre projects that have been in early development at Amazon or stuck in deal-making limbo for a long time, The Wheel of Time (based on the fantasy books), and The Dark Tower (based on the book and the movie)?

SALKE: Those are scripts that I haven’t gotten yet. I’ll be seeing those, that material, in the coming weeks. None of those things are dead. They’re very much alive.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How's it doing? Alive and well:
The Wheel of Time had been in the works at Amazon for about a year, with new Head of Amazon Studios Jennifer Salke telling Deadline in June that she was set to read the script over the summer and the project was “very much alive”.

The Wheel of Time has taken its time to get to screen; the multi-volume fantasy epic was first published in 1990. NBC optioned the rights in 2000 but didn’t progress; Jordan sold the TV, film, video game and comic rights to Red Eagle in 2004. In 2015, Red Eagle paid air time to cable network FXX to air Winter Dragon, a 22-minute Billy Zane-fronted “pilot” for a potential The Wheel of Time series that allowed Red Eagle to hold on to the rights to the project, a situation that was resolved with the Robert Jordan Estate in 2016.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

WAIT! I'm only on book four of my read through! I've got about two more years to go at my current rate. Please wait till I'm done!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Meh to the braid puller. Can we get on with Chronicles of Amber already...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:34 am Meh to the braid puller. Can we get on with Chronicles of Amber already...
Wouldn't the point of the series be that they can just strip out all of the annoying repetitive stuff?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 am
Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:34 am Meh to the braid puller. Can we get on with Chronicles of Amber already...
Wouldn't the point of the series be that they can just strip out all of the annoying repetitive stuff?
What are you looking for, a 90 minute film or a 12 season epic?

I kid - and I hope they do away with that "quirk" entirely, except as maybe a joke.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hard Times
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — After greenlighting a TV adaptation of Robert Jordan’s high-fantasy series The Wheel Of Time, Amazon Studios announced they are committed to producing 328 seasons of the fourteen book fantasy epic with production already underway.

Showrunner Rafe Judkins assured fans that the show would be a faithful adaptation of the book series. “We’re committed to making a show that is true to the source material, which means starting off at a fast pace, inevitably slowing down as the story gets more complex and then having someone else take this baby to the finish line when I pass away around season 270.”

Judkins teased hardcore fans with a few story details about the third book’s Battle of Falme, which is planned to take place starting in season 68 and last for three full seasons.

“Sure, there’s going to be ten seasons with nothing but politics and dialogue,” he continued, “but when we reach Season 243 and everything from the last 1,944 hours of television finally comes together? You’re going to look back and think ‘Okay, this is epic.’”
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:02 pm The Hard Times
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — After greenlighting a TV adaptation of Robert Jordan’s high-fantasy series The Wheel Of Time, Amazon Studios announced they are committed to producing 328 seasons of the fourteen book fantasy epic with production already underway.

Showrunner Rafe Judkins assured fans that the show would be a faithful adaptation of the book series. “We’re committed to making a show that is true to the source material, which means starting off at a fast pace, inevitably slowing down as the story gets more complex and then having someone else take this baby to the finish line when I pass away around season 270.”

Judkins teased hardcore fans with a few story details about the third book’s Battle of Falme, which is planned to take place starting in season 68 and last for three full seasons.

“Sure, there’s going to be ten seasons with nothing but politics and dialogue,” he continued, “but when we reach Season 243 and everything from the last 1,944 hours of television finally comes together? You’re going to look back and think ‘Okay, this is epic.’”
Tugs braid
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tor.com
The Wheel of Time, Amazon Studios’ forthcoming television adaptation of Robert Jordan’s epic fantasy series, will go into production starting in September 2019, according to the trade publication Production Weekly. Wheel of Time fan site The Daily Trolloc acquired a sample issue of the weekly publication from December 20, 2018, which lists the series among over a hundred other projects currently in development. Another notable detail is the location: the series will shoot at least in part in Prague, Czech Republic.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I recently finished book one, what an excruciating experience. And people came back for more? Perhaps a more concise TV show will suffice as this badly needs abridgment. I don't think I can muster the will to read book 2.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:25 pmI recently finished book one, what an excruciating experience. And people came back for more? Perhaps a more concise TV show will suffice as this badly needs abridgment. I don't think I can muster the will to read book 2.
This is a *shocking* turn of events. My advice is to simply not read book 2 and to go about your life.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:25 pmI recently finished book one, what an excruciating experience. And people came back for more? Perhaps a more concise TV show will suffice as this badly needs abridgment. I don't think I can muster the will to read book 2.
This is a *shocking* turn of events. My advice is to simply not read book 2 and to go about your life.
:lol: :clap:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:25 pm
I recently finished book one, what an excruciating experience. And people came back for more? Perhaps a more concise TV show will suffice as this badly needs abridgment. I don't think I can muster the will to read book 2.
Stop now. I mean I read them all but if you thought 1 was slow...4 makes 1 seem like a balls to the wall action thriller...and they get progressively more braid tuggier from there until Sanderson comes along to Make Randland Great Again.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Agreed. Book 1 is lightning quick compared to pretty much all the books after 3. If the first book was too slow to you book 10 may put you in a coma forever. (And I adore the series.)

I can't fathom how anyone could consider book 1 "slow".
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm really digging that casting. She's eerily close to how I imagined Moiraine in my head.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Ooh, yes. I really like Rosamund Pike. That's some good news for the series right there.

- Ash
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is Moiraine the braid puller?

I only read the first three books, looks like a good thing I stopped there. Very few series merit a fourth, much less 10.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 pm Is Moiraine the braid puller?
She is not.
Jaymann wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 pm I only read the first three books, looks like a good thing I stopped there. Very few series merit a fourth, much less 10.
Fourteen and a prequel.
JCC

Post by JCC »

She is not AT ALL how I personally pictured Moiraine, but I am sure she will be awesome.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety

Josha Stradowski has been cast in the role of Rand al’Thor, with Marcus Rutherford set to play Perrin Aybara and Zoë Robins playing Nynaeve. In addition, Barney Harris will play Mat Cauthon and Madeleine Madden will play Egwene Al’Vere. They join previously announced cast member Rosamund Pike.
Left to right is Madden (Egwene), Stradowski (Rand), Rutherford (Perrin), Robins (Nynaeve), and Harris (Mat).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And the official announcements:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 pm And the official announcements:

Is SHE the braid puller?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes. Although it’s supposed to be only one.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Isgrimnur wrote:Yes. Although it’s supposed to be only one.
:D :D :D
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Is SHE the braid puller?
Well then she's a smokin' hot braid puller :shock:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hyena wrote:
Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Is SHE the braid puller?
Well then she's a smokin' hot braid puller :shock:
Careful with that talk or she'll box your ears!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
stessier

Post by stessier »

"shone"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I found it really interesting that the actors for Perrin, Nynaeve, and Egwene closely resemble the "white versions" I had in my head when I was reading the book. I hope that doesn't come off sounding cringe-y, but let's face it. As a white guy, I default to white characters in my head when reading unless they're described otherwise. Particularly fantasy where there's traditionally been a scarcity of minorities.

My point is, I love the casting and applaud the decision to diversify. I think they pulled off a very tricky balancing act wherein they were able to make some bold casting choices while still staying true to the character. Very much looking forward to this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also appreciate them reimaging them a little. At the same time, it always feels odd when a series or film shows distinct races in a small, isolated community where nobody comes and goes for generations.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:53 pm I also appreciate them reimaging them a little. At the same time, it always feels odd when a series or film shows distinct races in a small, isolated community where nobody comes and goes for generations.
And then you remember the magic. And Trollocs. :)
JCC

Post by JCC »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:26 pm I found it really interesting that the actors for Perrin, Nynaeve, and Egwene closely resemble the "white versions" I had in my head when I was reading the book. I hope that doesn't come off sounding cringe-y, but let's face it. As a white guy, I default to white characters in my head when reading unless they're described otherwise. Particularly fantasy where there's traditionally been a scarcity of minorities.
It's hard for anyone to resent you imagining these characters as white when Jordan went out of his way to point out characters' skin color when it WASN'T white. (Hello Sea Folk!)

I agree that it's a good idea to diversify the casting, but absolutely NONE of them were as I pictured them (and I don't mean their ethnicity). Very rarely do my mind's eye images for book characters resemble the TV/movie version. I do hope Perrin is bigger than he looks in the picture. (Get that man roided up! LOL)
Black Lives Matter