[TV] The Black Company

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[TV] The Black Company

Post by Smoove_B »

Never thought I'd see this day:
IM Global Television is developing The Black Company, based on Glen Cook’s (Garrett P.I. series) fantasy books as a TV series, along with Eliza Dushku’s Boston Diva Productions and David Goyer’s Phantom Four, with Dushku set to star.

Boston Diva Prods. optioned the ten-book epic action fantasy series, as well as the forthcoming book, Port of Shadows, which falls between Book 1 and 2 in the series and will be published by Tor Books in 2018. Dushku (Bull, Dollhouse, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) will star in the pivotal role of the dark sorceress, The Lady.
I found out about this series from OO (or GG, it's all a bit hazy now) and enjoyed it tremendously. I guess with the popularity of anything that could potentially be linked capturing the thunder from A Game of Thrones is now a wise investment.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kelric

Re: [TV] The Black Company

Post by Kelric »

Very excited that it might get made, but already aware that it will probably be disappointing. I hope they start with the first book and follow the first ones. The war at the beginning is the most interesting of the books, I think. Here's to them getting one of Netflix / Amazon / Starz / Showtime / HBO (though that won't happen with GOT kicking around) rather than a cable network.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kelric wrote:Very excited that it might get made, but already aware that it will probably be disappointing.
This is how I know you're an adult - you're now cynical like the rest of us. :D

I actually only read the first three. I don't remember if that was intentional (because I was advised to stop) or I was distracted. If this happened years ago, I think I'd be more nervous, but I'd like to believe after the overwhelming success of shows like Game of Thrones creators are trying to do everything they can to give the source a respectful treatment.
stessier

Post by stessier »

How old were you when you read this series? I think that plays a large role in the nostalgia. I only read them in the last 3 years (and read all of them because I'm not a quitter, darn it!). Either modern story telling has evolved and left them behind, or they have always been...lacking.

That being said, I like Dushku and could see her as The Lady.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was a grown-ass man. According to my Amazon history, I purchased them in July of 2004..so...13 years ago as 30 year old man-child? I haven't read them since then, but they did start me down the path of really enjoying grimdark fantasy. Prior to that I dabbled, but it was just a hop skip and a jump from there to get to what is still my favorite series - The First Law Trilogy.
Jag

Post by Jag »

As long as they don't pull a Shannara or Seeker, i'm on board.

BTW, fans of Black Company should be reading the Powder Mage books by Brian McClellan. Just fantastic.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

This can go wrong is so many ways..
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I would love to see these made right. They also only need concern themselves with the first books as the series pretty much wanders away after that. But done correctly these could be entertaining.

I would love to see an HBO version of the First Law Trilogy though.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote:I was a grown-ass man. According to my Amazon history, I purchased them in July of 2004..so...13 years ago as 30 year old man-child? I haven't read them since then, but they did start me down the path of really enjoying grimdark fantasy. Prior to that I dabbled, but it was just a hop skip and a jump from there to get to what is still my favorite series - The First Law Trilogy.
Ah, well, that explains it then. Simply a different taste in books. :) (I strongly disliked the First Law trilogy.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I wish they'd adapt the Gentlemen Bastard series by Scott Lynch. I think that would make for a great series. Another fun one would be the Dagger & Coin series by Daniel Abraham.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I was a grown-ass man. According to my Amazon history, I purchased them in July of 2004..so...13 years ago as 30 year old man-child? I haven't read them since then, but they did start me down the path of really enjoying grimdark fantasy. Prior to that I dabbled, but it was just a hop skip and a jump from there to get to what is still my favorite series - The First Law Trilogy.
Ah, well, that explains it then. Simply a different taste in books. :) (I strongly disliked the First Law trilogy.)
:shock:
I've met you. You hid this depravity very well. 9 fingers rocked.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Jag

Post by Jag »

Rumpy wrote:Another fun one would be the Dagger & Coin series by Daniel Abraham.
Well Abraham got Expanse turned into the best damn sci-fi show on TV, so there is hope for Citrin, Wester, Geder and company!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jag wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Another fun one would be the Dagger & Coin series by Daniel Abraham.
Well Abraham got Expanse turned into the best damn sci-fi show on TV, so there is hope for Citrin, Wester, Geder and company!

Yeah, ironically, I had bought the first Expanse novel and realized the first Dagger & Coin novel was also included, and liked it well enough to continue on. Thing is, I didn't like the Expanse quite as much and felt Abraham was a better writer on his own.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jag

Post by Jag »

Rumpy wrote:
Jag wrote:

Yeah, ironically, I had bought the first Expanse novel and realized the first Dagger & Coin novel was also included, and liked it well enough to continue on. Thing is, I didn't like the Expanse quite as much and felt Abraham was a better writer on his own.
First Expanse novel takes some time to get into, but the payoff is worth it. Or you can just watch the best damn sci-fi show on TV since BSG, Firefly and TNG.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jag wrote:As long as they don't pull a Shannara or Seeker, i'm on board.

BTW, fans of Black Company should be reading the Powder Mage books by Brian McClellan. Just fantastic.
I'm in (for both).
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

will they put in subtitles for everybody that can't read sign language? will they hire racially appropriate, or is it going to be whitewashed? who is going to play soulcatcher? how will they handle The Limpers sidestory? All these burning questions!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymon wrote:will they put in subtitles for everybody that can't read sign language? will they hire racially appropriate, or is it going to be whitewashed? who is going to play soulcatcher? how will they handle The Limpers sidestory? All these burning questions!
As long as they cast Croaker well, and don't make the Lady the focus (and she shouldn't even be in every episode).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.