Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[movie] THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI

Post by Daehawk »

Yes the title is all capped :)

Redband version

TRAILER

Seems one of those quirky weird movies. But I laughed well at the trailer. Bout spit my cola when she kicked the girl in the crotch too.

A darkly comic drama from Academy Award winner Martin McDonagh (IN BRUGES). After months have passed without a culprit in her daughter’s murder case, Mildred Hayes (Academy Award winner Frances McDormand) makes a bold move, painting three signs leading into her town with a controversial message directed at William Willoughby (Academy Award nominee Woody Harrelson), the town's revered chief of police. When his second-in-command Officer Dixon (Sam Rockwell), an immature mother’s bo
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Re: [movie] THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI

Post by Kraken »

Saw a matinee today. It being Thanksgiving, we nearly had a command performance. I counted three other people in the theater.

If you enjoy a great cast with a great script, this is a highly satisfying movie. It's particularly good at setting up expectations and introducing apparently stereotypical characters, and then surprising you. Not even remotely a blockbuster, just good solid storytelling with excellent acting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love Woody in stuff. Such a good actor and seems to be the same in RL.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 pm Saw a matinee today. It being Thanksgiving, we nearly had a command performance. I counted three other people in the theater.

If you enjoy a great cast with a great script, this is a highly satisfying movie. It's particularly good at setting up expectations and introducing apparently stereotypical characters, and then surprising you. Not even remotely a blockbuster, just good solid storytelling with excellent acting.
When I saw the trailer (last May, apparently) I immediately told my wife to keep her eye out for it on demand. It looked great. I'm no movie aficionado, so I often miss gems like this one because it's not hyped to death and very few if anything explodes in it, so I'm glad this caught my eye and I look forward to seeing it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:32 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 pm Saw a matinee today. It being Thanksgiving, we nearly had a command performance. I counted three other people in the theater.

When I saw the trailer (last May, apparently) I immediately told my wife to keep her eye out for it on demand. It looked great. I'm no movie aficionado, so I often miss gems like this one because it's not hyped to death and very few if anything explodes in it, so I'm glad this caught my eye and I look forward to seeing it.
If the trailer leaves the impression that this is a knee-slapping comedy, don't be disappointed when you discover a serious and sad story with just the right amount of wry comic relief to provide some release.

I'm glad we threw 22 bucks at it in the theater. Not because it benefits especially from the big screen, but because Hollywood needs to be rewarded for making original films with no franchise designs. It squeaked into the top 10 when it opened last weekend with just over $1 million in box office -- pretty good for a limited release, and it will probably match or exceed that on this holiday weekend, but I'm sure it will sink quickly after that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Honestly I don't remember too much about the trailer now, but while some of the characters seemed humorously inept, a woman fighting for justice for her daughter's murder didn't strike me as too much funny.

Maybe in the same way that Fargo is both dark as hell and funny as it too?

I think it came off as a fight for justice/revengey (but not action revenge) sort of movie? It's hard to remember. The performances in the trailer were pretty awesome, and I love the main actress (who's name has slipped my mind atm).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I can't characterize it precisely without giving away more than I should. I will say that the plot moves along briskly with an appropriate amount of action. It's not a talky movie, although it is character-driven, and I wouldn't classify it as a comedy, although it has comical moments.

I give it 7/8 tentacles, and I'm only withholding the 8th because I thought Peter Dinklage's role was a borderline throwaway.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I saw t a few days ago. Francis McDormand is great as cantankerous women (this, Olive Kitteridge). Woody Harrelson also gives a more nuanced performance than I expected. As Kraken says, it moves crisply and is not nearly as much a talkie as I was expecting from the trailers. And it’s definitely funny but the humor is dark and I definitely wouldn’t classify the film as a comedy.
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Sign me up for anything Martin Mcdonagh writes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kraken wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:31 am I can't characterize it precisely without giving away more than I should. I will say that the plot moves along briskly with an appropriate amount of action. It's not a talky movie, although it is character-driven, and I wouldn't classify it as a comedy, although it has comical moments.

I give it 7/8 tentacles, and I'm only withholding the 8th because I thought Peter Dinklage's role was a borderline throwaway.
We saw it yesterday, loved it and as much as I like Peter Dinklage, I agree on the "borderline" comment.
-mf
naednek

Post by naednek »

thinking about seeing this tonight. Wife and kids are out of town and I never get to see movies I want to see besides Star Wars.

I also have interest in Shape of Water and All the money in the world. So far Billboard is winning my interest
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Shape of Water is worth seeing, too, but Billboards is the better film IMO.
naednek

Post by naednek »

going to have to wait till tomorrow, too much fog for me to feel comfortable driving in.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Will Gompertz reviews Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri ★★★★★

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42615064
Somebody, probably dressed in black with very good teeth, will be opening a golden envelope while simultaneously saying these words: "The Oscar for best actress in a leading role goes to…"

He or she will then pause for dramatic effect, pull out the card and say…

"Frances McDormand! - for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri."

This will happen.

Her only serious competition comes from Sally Hawkins as the amphibian-loving janitor in Guillermo del Torro's fabulous film The Shape of Water, but McDormand edges it for giving life to the remarkable Mildred Hayes; a kick-ass, boiler-suited, bandana-wearing working class woman with a broken heart and a raging soul.
It's a very well written, beautifully shot, expertly told story: it is a modern classic.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:31 pm Yes the title is all capped :)

Redband version

TRAILER
Oh man, I've got to see this movie! :wub:
two months
naednek

Post by naednek »

Went out and watched it today while I was smoking a brisket. I liked it, but I felt it start to fall apart after a certain major event.
Spoiler:
I felt it would have done better if there was more interaction with Mildred and the Sheriff. It kinda started to get whacky. While I liked there wasn't a resolution and not a happy ending, I wished showed us what happen in Idaho.
The performances were great, a little stereotypical, but the casting and acting was enjoyable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm Went out and watched it today while I was smoking a brisket.
I really wish that was a euphemism.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't the rest of the theater object to the smoker in there?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Nobody complains about free brisket.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least he gave up smoking cold turkey.
It's almost as if people are the problem.