[tv / HULU] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: [tv] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Post by Smoove_B »

I have a friend that cut his cable completely and now only does Amazon Prime, Netflix and YoutubeTV. He absolutely loves YoutubeTV. I've been using Hulu since the $0.99 Black Friday sale last year and I don't know if I'll renew it - the commercials are the worst. Painful, repetitive and intrusive. Really made me appreciate Prime and Netflix that much more.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Look into getting a piHole to use as your DNS.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife alternated between Hulu, Amazon Video, and Netflix. I talked her into that $1 Hulu deal I think last Nov. Its all I still have and I never use it. Im about to dump tv again so might get some use from it. Wish she'd gotten to watch more. That girl was a tv holic so to speak. Loved movies and tv. I used to be but gave it up years ago. Its been kinda baby sitting me this year. Feel weird watching it . Im back to looking into Fire tv and such. I want to save money by dumping my $60 tv cable but if I have to pay $40 for streaming thats no use.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hmm, I wonder where that leaves viewing it in Canada. Likely won't change a thing as we view it through CityTV, but still.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I must have TCM, and I really like having a DVR. That means I must have cable, because TCM isn't available any other way, AFAIK. I can't buy a smorgasbord of streaming services, even if my tv could stream, because that makes financial sense only if you can cut the cord (and not always even then).

Someday I'm going to start a thread asking for help and advice in updating my setup (without spending more than I already do). Today is not that day. Sorry, Orville. TV is too damned complicated.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:40 pm Look into getting a piHole to use as your DNS.
Will this make the commercials disappear?

I built a piHole a couple months ago but never got past the stage of testing it on just a couple of laptops around the house. I never moved all devices to it because the piHole doesn't play nice with my VPN service.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Orville to Hulu? Well, shit.
Hodor.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Damn. Guess I'll do like I do for the CBS All Access Star trek (If I decide I want to keep watching). Wait until it comes out on DVD and then wait for a sale or cheap on ebay. Got Season 1 of Star Trek for $8.99 last week.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:40 pm Look into getting a piHole to use as your DNS.

I built a piHole a couple months ago but never got past the stage of testing it on just a couple of laptops around the house. I never moved all devices to it because the piHole doesn't play nice with my VPN service.
It’s supposed to. I do not have one, but have heard good things, and will likely pay a friend of mine to build me one.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:45 pm
Z-Corn wrote:

It’s supposed to. I do not have one, but have heard good things, and will likely pay a friend of mine to build me one.
OK, I'll test.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:21 am Damn. Guess I'll do like I do for the CBS All Access Star trek (If I decide I want to keep watching). Wait until it comes out on DVD and then wait for a sale or cheap on ebay. Got Season 1 of Star Trek for $8.99 last week.
I presume those DVDs will never show up on netflix, so buying is the only way to see it. Thanks for the alert.

Y'know how I was saying TV is too damned complicated? Check out these instructions for watching Discovery via Amazon. Sheesh.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I wonder if the divorce will impact anything casting wise. Hope not.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had to look that up. I had heard that Palicki and Grimes were dating, but not that they had married. Then before I find out they'd married, they're divorced. Sheesh...I'm more concerned that I actually bothered to learn all about this.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Comic Book.com
This marks the first divorce for Palicki, and the third for Grimes. He previously married Dawn Bailey in 1997, and Megan Moore in 2011. She was previously engaged to Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War stuntman Jackson Spidell, but they split before getting married.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Returning to production in December:
Like other productions, filming on The Orville was put on hold when Hollywood went on lockdown in March. Shooting on the third season had started in October 2019 and they were a bit shy of halfway done at the time of the halt. According to a source with the production, cameras will start rolling again in the first week of December.

Prep work for restarting season three has already begun, with some people already at work on the Fox lot in Century City, CA. Most of the cast and crew are expected to be on set after Thanksgiving weekend for rehearsals and to do some pick-up shots. Production will continue through December until the Christmas and New Year break, and then restart in early January.

It is expected that work under strict COVID protocols to complete season three will take five or six months in total. Production will restart on the Fox lot, with location shooting in Southern California also being planned. The Orville creator/executive producer Seth MacFarlane and executive producer Jon Cassar will continue to split directing duties for the rest of the season.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I decided to give this another try after brushing it off a few years ago. I watched the second episode, then re-watched the first one, and then the third. I just kind of hate Seth MacFarlane, in general. Not as a human being or even as an actor, but his cheap, crass humour. 20% of the jokes in these episodes land. Another 20% are amusing. 20% are innocuous but inoffensive. But the other 40% are cringeworthy. I don't know why the helmsman character exists. I don't want him to. The navigator isn't much better, and feels a bit like an offensive caricature to this point. Most of the female characters are genuinely interesting, though hackneyed. Everything about this show is hackneyed... and it never rises to the level of satire. Yet... as hero worship, it somehow succeeds. It's evident there's a lot of love put into it, and there's great attention to detail. After now having watched three seasons of Discovery and one season of Picard, this really does feel more like Star Trek than anything since Enterprise.

The CGI ranges from bad to decent. The music is excellent, though the mimicry is a little too evident. The alien/creature makeup is outstanding. The dramatic writing, while again never feeling fresh, is really solid though. There's some real depth and nuance, which is especially surprising so early in what was originally a network series. I wish it dropped the gag comedy though.

I have a hard time saying I like it, but I certainly like elements of it. I'm looking forward to watching more.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What surprised me is that it feels like it's supposed to just be an inane Star Trek-inspired sitcom, but later on the stories and characters really start to take on some oomph.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's clearly a loveletter to Star Trek. What's great is that by the time Season 2 rolls around, it's more comfortable with itself, having found its footing and relies less on gags, and it becomes more of a dramady, with the stakes upped up, and it feels like a world actually worth exploring.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sudy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:36 am I decided to give this another try after brushing it off a few years ago. I watched the second episode, then re-watched the first one, and then the third. I just kind of hate Seth MacFarlane, in general. Not as a human being or even as an actor, but his cheap, crass humour. 20% of the jokes in these episodes land. Another 20% are amusing. 20% are innocuous but inoffensive. But the other 40% are cringeworthy. I don't know why the helmsman character exists. I don't want him to. The navigator isn't much better, and feels a bit like an offensive caricature to this point. Most of the female characters are genuinely interesting, though hackneyed. Everything about this show is hackneyed... and it never rises to the level of satire. Yet... as hero worship, it somehow succeeds. It's evident there's a lot of love put into it, and there's great attention to detail. After now having watched three seasons of Discovery and one season of Picard, this really does feel more like Star Trek than anything since Enterprise.

The CGI ranges from bad to decent. The music is excellent, though the mimicry is a little too evident. The alien/creature makeup is outstanding. The dramatic writing, while again never feeling fresh, is really solid though. There's some real depth and nuance, which is especially surprising so early in what was originally a network series. I wish it dropped the gag comedy though.

I have a hard time saying I like it, but I certainly like elements of it. I'm looking forward to watching more.
After the first few episodes the cheap, crass humor get far less cheap and crass, and far more into the characters, themes and stories. Don't judge the show on the first few eps.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat

Re: [tv / HULU] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Post by hepcat »

I will admit to eventually getting past the writers' constant need to make jokes that are based on 20th/21st century pop culture, and it seemed to tone down the out of place/low brow humor a bit during the second season. So eventually I began to actually kind of enjoy it. I still think Discovery is a better Star Trek show though, but this will do until someone reboots Quark.

<come one, SOMEONE has to be old enough to remember that one>
Covfefe!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Richard Benjamin....The Source....The Bettys...

Oh yeah, I remember it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I don't subscribe to Hulu and this won't make me. I agree with Sudy regarding how humor lands, Seth McFarlane always seems to be on the cusp of genius, but then falls back on frat boy humor. I want to like him more than I actually do.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Been looking forward to the 3rd season. Bring it on. It can't come soon enough.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strangely I dont remember Quark at all. But I know Conrad Janis from Mork & Mindy and of course Tim Thomerson is a cult / b movie hero.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:36 pmI've been using Hulu since the $0.99 Black Friday sale last year and I don't know if I'll renew it - the commercials are the worst.
I signed up for the $4.99 Hulu plan (with commercials) with a free month for a class documentary and it's supposed to be ad-laden. I'm using a combination of Chrome/AdBLock/uBlock and haven't seen a single ad. uBlock racks up a TON of hits on Hulu while I watch, but viewing is never interrupted.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just as a follow up, I'm a full-on HULU disciple now. I watch on an actual TV so I wouldn't be able to ad-block things, but I don't mind paying a little extra to be ad free. HULU is my everything now - Live TV provider and DVR.

Not excited I have to wait until March of 2022 to see more of the Orville, but I'm grateful at least it's coming back in some form.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

6/2/22

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just a bump as Episode 1 of S3 (or "New Horizons") was released today. I think they will be out every Thursday at 12:00 EST on Hulu.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Gasp! Yay!

I'm falling so, so far behind. Obi-Wan, Stranger Things, the last seasons of The Expanse and Lost in Space, now this, The Boys, and another MCU show right around the corner.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes. I went from being completely caught up with shows and nothing new to watch, to being overwhelmed again and immediately behind on like 5 different things. They should really coordinate this stuff better. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haven't seen it since Halston Sage left. And now of course Norm MacDonald is dead. I guess its still a fun show though.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Whelp, doesn't look like I'll be watching Season 3 anytime soon. It's on Disney+ here and I don't plan on subscribing to it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Watched the first episode and enjoyed it tremendously. I'm not sure if they were given a bigger budget, but it looked...better? The episode content was a bit...heavy, though it made sense based on where they left off in S2.

It also absolutely still feels like the best show to follow a Star Trek format that isn't actually a Star Trek show.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

That episode was too long, honestly. I see no reason why episodes of The Orville need to be over an hour long (and next week's is, too).
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Because it's now on a streaming service as opposed to being broadcast, and because of this they feel unrestrained. I know there's a debate about episode length in general for streaming series, but I kind of don't like for them to be overly long. I don't want to feel like I'm watching a movie with every episode. I want the episodes to respect my time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wasn't sure about the length - like maybe they had originally written it as a 2 part "season premiere" when the plan was to be on network TV and it was just edited into a longer (70 minute!) single shot. I didn't realize episode 2 was also an hour. I guess we'll see. Some shows can definitely drag when they bump from ~45 minutes to 60+, but I didn't feel that way about this episode. That might change in future weeks....I guess we'll see.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just watched ep2. The length didn't bother me. One thing i note is the change in tone certainly is striking from S1 and S2.

On the story -
Spoiler:
Who the heck would serve on this ship? They've lost good portions of the crew how many times now?

But more importantly how is he still Captain?! He took an admiral, himself, the XO, the Chief Engineer, the Chief Medical Officer, and the Chief Security officer into a derelict station in an unexplored region they were specifically warned about without any hazard suits.

When the admiral got sick and started to transform they didnt quarantine him or isolate him in any way. He also just wandered out because they left him unattended on a table ten feet from the main door out. Patient privacy seems to not be a concern in the future.

This is on top of the many other times he got tons of people killed.