[tv / HULU] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rip

Re: [tv] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Post by Rip »

Kasey Chang wrote:(Treknologist mode on)

Deflectors are for asteroids and micro particles, i.e. "navigational deflectors")

Shields are for protection against energy weapons and such.

(Treknologist mode off)
Who cares, The Orville isn't Trek.
Bortus to Captain Mercer.
We've just detected a Krill destroyer entering orbit.
Raise deflector screens.
Deflector screens up.
Two Krill shuttles are heading for the surface.
Captain, there are Krill soldiers heading down to you.
Captain.
God, there's no way we're gonna be out by 5:00 today, are we? BORTUS: Captain.
Do you read? ASHTON: Answer him.
Tell him the Krill come in peace - and to stand down all weapons.
- They won't believe me.
- Do it! - Listen, I - Do it now! - Okay.
BORTUS: Captain, do you read? - Please respond.
- Say something! Mercer to Bortus.
The Krill are here in peace.
Uh They just came down for The lab is having a pizza party and the Krill are invited.
Oh, man, can we go? Oh, Bortus, can we please go down there? Did you say a pizza party? It's for office birthdays.
Lot of September birthdays down here.
(grunts) Alara, good work.
Bortus, the Krill are here to attack.
Keep the weapons charged and the deflectors up until we can get to you.
There is no pizza party.
I repeat, there is no pizza party.
https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.u ... ode=s01e01
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'll have to agree with Rip here (doesn't happen often, eh? :lol: ) They very noticeably avoided the use of the word "shields" - "deflector screens" instead of "deflector shields", since "deflector shields" had been used on Trek. Whether it was to avoid a copyright lawsuit or to make fun of CBS's love for copyright lawsuits or just to stress the whole "we are not Star Trek" thing, who knows.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

My daughter (13) was very excited to watch this show this week- she reminded me that a new episode had aired and sat us all down for it.

She loved it, though her favorite character is the security chief, so maybe that's not surprising. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It continues to shoot for a solid TNG vibe - not taking itself too seriously, but still playing everything straight. The jokes were more dialed in than last week, though a few still missed the mark. But what was great was everything else - we got some nice character development and a better view of some of the characters that were mostly out of focus last week.

I'm super impressed. I really didn't expect to enjoy this show nearly as much as I am. And I'm just giddy about the fact that there's a Star Trek show that my kids actually want to watch. That's not something I ever really anticipated.

Can't wait for next week.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And its free.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Start a new sci-fi show, preempt it with an NFL game in week 2 and then move it to a different day in week 3. Never change Fox, never change.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

My kids LOVED it and wanted to watch the second episode which will unfortunately be missed by anyone who wasn't keeping track of when it started.

So, I enjoyed the show and didn't find the humor too crude, or at least, flat considering this is MacFarlane. What did jar me a bit was some of the tonal shifts from MacFarlane/Palicki with the scientist. Namely, when they made the banana jokes. I think they played it a bit too straight instead of kind of showing they were messing with guy. The same thing with the viewscreen. If they'd led with the "stalling for time shtick", then it would have flowed a bit better into the next part of that scene.

As stated, this is the first episode, and people are figuring out their stride with the characters. I'd think it would go better if MacFarlane played the captain more like O'Neill on Stargate SG-1. He can be sarcastic, yet serious when needed. I don't know, it feels like he's doing the opposite at times.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:Start a new sci-fi show, preempt it with an NFL game in week 2 and then move it to a different day in week 3. Never change Fox, never change.
The DVR age has made that less of a dick move. But that's the industry responding to them rather than Fox making better decisions.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Start a new sci-fi show, preempt it with an NFL game in week 2 and then move it to a different day in week 3. Never change Fox, never change.
The DVR age has made that less of a dick move. But that's the industry responding to them rather than Fox making better decisions.
My DVR happily recorded all of the after talk talk talk as it just has the guide information to go on. Thankfully we'd watched the game and then watched the show rather than rely on the recording.
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yup. Pretty much any post-football show should have its range extended for an hour to cover the snail's pace endgame and postgame activities.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote:Yup. Pretty much any post-football show should have its range extended for an hour to cover the snail's pace endgame and postgame activities.
Last week this wasn't an issue because Fox just cuts down the postgame show so that it ends right at 8 for its regular programming.

Yesterday was different because of the weather delay in Denver. The game being delayed that long is something Fox can't control (like they do with The OT).
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Preemption aside, it was always the plan to move The Orville to Thursdays, with Gotham (moved off Mondays) as a lead-in.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not a Fox executive so I can't fully appreciate the decision making here, but it seems strange to start a show in a slot that will likely be bumped by sportsball during it's initial two-week run and then move it to a night where it will hopefully keep people watching as another show returns to a new night. Why not just start with episode 1 this Thursday? Or are they trying to build some momentum before preempting both shows during a Thursday night NFL game?

I'm irritated because now I need to figure out how to watch the second episode in a way befitting my 5 Mbps DSL connection. It's annoying AF.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Yup. Pretty much any post-football show should have its range extended for an hour to cover the snail's pace endgame and postgame activities.
Last week this wasn't an issue because Fox just cuts down the postgame show so that it ends right at 8 for its regular programming.

Yesterday was different because of the weather delay in Denver. The game being delayed that long is something Fox can't control (like they do with The OT).
And not a Fox-specific problem. I'm sure CBS runs into those issues as well on their afternoon game weeks. But not as many people care when 60 Minutes gets delayed.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote:
pr0ner wrote:

And not a Fox-specific problem. I'm sure CBS runs into those issues as well on their afternoon game weeks. But not as many people care when 60 Minutes gets delayed.
CBS has worse issues since they don't have a buffer between football and 60 Minutes like Fox does between football and The Simpsons, so whenever they have the late game, their whole Sunday slate gets delayed.
Smoove_B wrote:I'm not a Fox executive so I can't fully appreciate the decision making here, but it seems strange to start a show in a slot that will likely be bumped by sportsball during it's initial two-week run and then move it to a night where it will hopefully keep people watching as another show returns to a new night. Why not just start with episode 1 this Thursday? Or are they trying to build some momentum before preempting both shows during a Thursday night NFL game?

I'm irritated because now I need to figure out how to watch the second episode in a way befitting my 5 Mbps DSL connection. It's annoying AF.
Again, The Orville wouldn't have been bumped last night if it weren't for the weather delay. That's why Fox has The OT as a buffer between football and their slate, so this stuff doesn't usually happen to them. Fox bumping their Sunday slate is very unlikely. But yes, they put The Orville there to get NFL related eyeballs on the program.

Does your cable company not have an On Demand service?
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote:Does your cable company not have an On Demand service?
Like a knife in my heart.

EDIT: Looks like it's streaming on the Fox site, though it's being scaled for my connection so it looks like I'm watching scrambled TV from 1984. This is great.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, I managed to watch via the above link and actually enjoyed the hell out of it. I guess now that the tone has been set, I found this episode much more...watchable? I'm not sure that's right, but I guess I wasn't as confused as to what I should be expecting. The exchange with his parents in the beginning was uncomfortably too close to home, but yeah, I'm definitely going to keep watching. The ending was fantastic (and also entirely probable).
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I caught the first 15 minutes last night before Fear the Walking Dead started, just to get a taste, and I enjoyed that 15 minutes so I will go back and get caught up.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well crap, guess I'll give it another go then.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

2nd ep was definitely better. Still not sure whether I like it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:2nd ep was definitely better. Still not sure whether I like it.
My 4 year old seemed to really like it. Maybe we're not the target audience.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
My DVR happily recorded all of the after talk talk talk as it just has the guide information to go on. Thankfully we'd watched the game and then watched the show rather than rely on the recording.
Ah. I haven't checked yet, but my DVR must have also grabbed garbage, since I saw the recording light go on promptly at 8. Oh well. Maybe I'll watch it online later this week...or maybe not.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Smoove wrote:The exchange with his parents in the beginning was uncomfortably too close to home, but yeah, I'm definitely going to keep watching. The ending was fantastic (and also entirely probable).
Loved the conversation with the parents. I thought that and the end were the best jokes of the series so far. O the whole though, the middle let me down a bit, but I'm still watching.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I say this with all due respect, you are high.

In fact, you know what? I want to thank you for your infidelity.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

geezer wrote:Loved the conversation with the parents. I thought that and the end were the best jokes of the series so far. O the whole though, the middle let me down a bit, but I'm still watching.
+1
Toe

Post by Toe »

Smoove_B wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Does your cable company not have an On Demand service?
Like a knife in my heart.
If its anything like it is for me, they won't have any episodes on demand for the first 5 weeks of the show, then they will have episodes 2-4 out there. Then the show ends and they never put the final episodes up. :hawk:
geezer

Post by geezer »

Rip wrote:I say this with all due respect, you are high.

In fact, you know what? I want to thank you for your infidelity.
You didn't like the parents or the end, or
Spoiler:
you loved watching whatsherface run around the ship pounding shots and acting like an idiot for WAAAAY too long? Also, Bortas sitting on the egg was amusing the first time. Not so much the 2nd, third and 4th time.
Brian

Post by Brian »

He was directly quoting the show, not responding to you.

:)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
geezer

Post by geezer »

:oops:
Brian wrote:He was directly quoting the show, not responding to you.

:)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just realized The Orville will be airing on Thursday nights against two slightly popular network shows -- Scandal and This is Us. With the ability to only record two shows at once on my DVR, this means I'm out (if I want to stay happily married). Here's hoping it's still being shared on Fox's website. :(
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Usually I have no problem with Fox website having new episodes of -whatever- the day after they air.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I watched the first two episodes over the weekend, and it's really not as bad as I was expecting given all the negative reviews.

If you are wanting a slapstick comedy, this isn't it, but it is a fairly funny, earnest take on ST:TNG.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

2 episodes in and while I will probably keep watching to see if it picks up, it's definitely not something I'll worry about losing...or even miss...if it gets cancelled.

It wants to be Star Trek so bad, I almost feel sorry for it. But it's full of lazy stereotypes, tired cliches being passed off as topical, and sterile stories that aren't humanistic enough to be Star Trek material or edgy enough to be its counter.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote:Just realized The Orville will be airing on Thursday nights against two slightly popular network shows -- Scandal and This is Us. With the ability to only record two shows at once on my DVR, this means I'm out (if I want to stay happily married). Here's hoping it's still being shared on Fox's website. :(
I watched it on the Fox website today. In low rez. With unskippable ads.

Thought it was meh. Less offensive than the first episode, with no dick or balls remarks (vs. 4 in the pilot), and the attempted humor was more appropriate to the story and setting. Not liking the young girl character. I thought she was absurd from the moment she was introduced. If she has super strength due to being from a high gravity world, she would be heavy-boned and thick-muscled, not an elven little slip of a girl. But that's my inner sf nerd wanting some stab at verisimilitude, and this is clearly not serious sf.

The ending bothered me most.
Spoiler:
The consequence of disobeying a direct order from an admiral is...getting the sapphire star?
In spite of all that I'm still in if my DVR cooperates. Not going to watch it online again, that's for sure.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe it's because I'm a casual Star Trek fan, but now that I know what's happening I find the tone (and what appears to be a full-on lampooning of the genre) fine. I also fully admit I'm a fan of sarcastic MacFarlane humor, so maybe that's helping here too. I'm not even sure if I'd consider this a parody. It feels more like actual Star Trek episodes but with a vein of humor.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

FOX . . . FOX never changes . . .
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote:
Spoiler:
The consequence of disobeying a direct order from an admiral is...getting the sapphire star?
In spite of all that I'm still in if my DVR cooperates. Not going to watch it online again, that's for sure.
I was more bothered by the plot point that a civilization that enslaved civilians from what appeared to be hundreds, or even thousands of worlds would be allowed to continue doing so unchecked.
Smoove_B wrote:Maybe it's because I'm a casual Star Trek fan
I readily admit I'm an old Star Trek fan from way back in the day. So I might be a teensy little judgemental. :oops:
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Spoiler:
I was more bothered by the plot point that a civilization that enslaved civilians from what appeared to be hundreds, or even thousands of worlds would be allowed to continue doing so unchecked.
Dammit, Hep. I had really enjoyed that episode until you pointed out that huge plot hole that my admittedly sleep deprived brain had ignored. :evil:
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In their defense, I didn't get the impression that it was common knowledge. They didn't actually volunteer the info. Only beings visiting the the planet (which would likely be very few) would have any chance of figuring it out. The Orville only got the lead because they had the robot dude.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Spoiler:
That and a unilateral order to not interfere that was left hanging with no justification. That bothered me the most in this episode.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought the order was not to interfere because those redhead dudes were so much more technologically advanced than humans that they would just kill them without a second thought.
Black Lives Matter