[tv / HULU] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rip

Re: [tv] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Post by Rip »

Wow, Ep 9 Cupid's Dagger was nearly indescribable.

I have to admit I laughed a lot.

First time I really enjoyed to Captain's pilot buddy. His reaction to the primping for a date stuff was super.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Took me a bit to realize that the blue dude is played by Rob Lowe.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that last episode had me laughing quite a bit, and I think this show has really come into its own. Bortus about to do Karaoke only to be interrupted.... :mrgreen:

I felt this last episode was a real tour-de-force.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rip

Post by Rip »

The doctor and the slime guy bit should get lot's of play going forward.

Looked to me like she was totally into it.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Aye. Loved the lack of awkwardness over the captain sleeping with Robe Lowe's blue dude.

On the Trekian front, also loved the Israel/Palestine analogy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season finale was last night and I thought it was great. Overall I really enjoyed the show - I didn't feel like there was a single clunker episode at all. I know it's coming back, but I do hope it sticks around for a while. I don't watch any other shows like it and I think it could carve out a nice little sci-fi niche on TV.

Also, if you didn't laugh at the "hot potato" game at the beginning of the episode, I really don't even know what to say to you. That was hilarious.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I enjoyed the season also. Much better than I thought. A real nice surprise.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Lotchcum!
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
mori

Post by mori »

Count me as one that is enjoying the show.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:19 pm I don't watch any other shows like it and I think it could carve out a nice little sci-fi niche on TV.
You should try all of the Star Trek series...The Orville was an unabashed rip off of many of their plot lines.

I liked it well enough to watch them all (and wtf, couldn't they manage a full season?) Seth MacFarlane's humor doesn't fit all that well though. Like Star Trek, it's a military hierarchy. A smart ass won't thrive in such an organization, and I think that's the main disconnect.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I expected to hate this show, and I don't. If they can develop some ongoing story arcs that don't have to be wrapped up in 40 minutes, and balance some serious sf with their goofy humor, it could become great. It feels like the show was just starting to hit its stride and I look forward to the next season.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Lassr wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm I enjoyed the season also. Much better than I thought. A real nice surprise.
Same here!
-mf
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:14 pm It feels like the show was just starting to hit its stride and I look forward to the next season.
I dunno. I feel like it was the perfect size for a season. People expect seasons to last 20 episodes or longer, but that trend seems to be slowing in favour of shorter seasons. Having the amount we had, I feel it was fair, especially considering it was such an uncertainty in the beginning that it would be as big a hit as it was. And seeing as it's a sci-fi series, we're lucky Fox didn't push it out the airlock ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m a fan of 10 to 13 episode seasons. It’s just too exhausting trying to keep up with 22 or so episodes of a show each year.

The season finale was quite good. A bit trite and cliched, but they handled it in the end with a surprising maturity reminiscent of Next Gen.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 pm I’m a fan of 10 to 13 episode seasons. It’s just too exhausting trying to keep up with 22 or so episodes of a show each year.
Yeah, same here. I feel they're easier to manage. 22 Episodes per season is for when broadcast networks were a necessity, and when there'd often be mid-season breaks. The shorter seasons I find are much stronger for the most part, and I feel that's in part for the writers not feeling quite as stressed in having to come up with 22 episodes, where there's a greater chance for fluff episodes. I feel they also make more sense in an era where there are a lot more story-arcs. Plus shorter seasons are more netflixable. Finish a season, move on to the next show, etc. They never overstay their welcome.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well in the olden days a season was a full year nearly so more eps. Now you can get 2 or 3 seasons in a year :)

Im glad The Orville found some love here. When I started the thread I wasn't sure how you guys would take it....Seth is either hit or miss with no middle ground opinions.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, put it this way. I'm glad they haven't resorted to "Captain's Log" bathroom humor. They could have easily chosen to do that, given it's Seth McFarland, but they've steered clear of it, and managed to give us some smarter humour along with some actual good stories. I think the early trailer had made people think it would be an outright spoof, but I'm glad that it turned into something much more, with a bit of depth.

My Dad and I watch these things together, and originally he was advocating for Discovery, but after the first two episodes, it fell out of his favor and he really likes The Orville.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:07 am Well in the olden days a season was a full year nearly so more eps. Now you can get 2 or 3 seasons in a year :)
Except this doesn't happen. Instead of having a 1 month holiday break and a 3 month summer break, it's now 9 months until the next new episode. It's hard for me to sustain interest with so much down time.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now you know how the Brits feel.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:28 pm Now you know how the Brits feel.
Something I've frequently never cared to know.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But there are moments when you do care?
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

No, I can't say it ever has.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What about Lithuanians? Specifically their basketball teams.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, for gilraen's sake, sure. Wait, you're not gonna ask me to name a Lithuanian basketball player, are you?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:38 am Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats the vid I snapped that from. Couldn't find it online.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im 5 or so eps behind. I just started the one where they go looking for the 2 missing anthropologist on the planet like 21st century Earth. The place with the down voting. This ep is why im starting to hate The Orville. I try to enjoy it but the blatant inserted stupidity is taking me out of the fun parts of the show. Why would a trained crewman on a secret away mission and not knowing the local culture jump up on a statue and start humping it????? SO STUPID. Its there to progress the show and show how dumb that culture thing is but my god Im yelling at the monitor at the moron. Totally killing my fun. Its stuff like that I hate in the show. Its like Im going along enjoying a well written show when BAM something stupid screams BAD WRITING>>>CHEESY SECTION AHEAD>>>>>DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!!... Its sticks out so bad.

EDIT: Why cant Isaac hack the system??>
Rip

Post by Rip »

Don't make me downvote you........
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That dumb shit cant keep his mouth shut. I would have laughed my ass off if what he said there at the end put him over and they fried his brain...what little he has.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RTEY%#AQ^$@%#^#%$^$%w&w$^*&uw$^%s& se$%&$%^wy&$^w&$%^w&w$^%s^&#q$%^$%w&$w^%&$^e&$^%

I missed the damn end. Now I cant get it to play like it did. Before I could FF and RW. Now it wants me to watch the entire ep. I also was forced to sign in to watch. Ive never had to do that before. Damnitdamnit

EDIT: Finally see it and its basically nothing lol. She is so cute though.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Finally finished up Season 1. Definitely had its ups and downs, but my kids and I really liked it overall. Last episode was really good! Looking forward to next season.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 pm Im 5 or so eps behind. I just started the one where they go looking for the 2 missing anthropologist on the planet like 21st century Earth. The place with the down voting. This ep is why im starting to hate The Orville. I try to enjoy it but the blatant inserted stupidity is taking me out of the fun parts of the show. Why would a trained crewman on a secret away mission and not knowing the local culture jump up on a statue and start humping it????? SO STUPID. Its there to progress the show and show how dumb that culture thing is but my god Im yelling at the monitor at the moron. Totally killing my fun. Its stuff like that I hate in the show. Its like Im going along enjoying a well written show when BAM something stupid screams BAD WRITING>>>CHEESY SECTION AHEAD>>>>>DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!!... Its sticks out so bad.
The wife and I approach it as 'yep, some idiot would totally do that in real life.'
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kelric wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:29 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 pm Im 5 or so eps behind. I just started the one where they go looking for the 2 missing anthropologist on the planet like 21st century Earth. The place with the down voting. This ep is why im starting to hate The Orville. I try to enjoy it but the blatant inserted stupidity is taking me out of the fun parts of the show. Why would a trained crewman on a secret away mission and not knowing the local culture jump up on a statue and start humping it????? SO STUPID. Its there to progress the show and show how dumb that culture thing is but my god Im yelling at the monitor at the moron. Totally killing my fun. Its stuff like that I hate in the show. Its like Im going along enjoying a well written show when BAM something stupid screams BAD WRITING>>>CHEESY SECTION AHEAD>>>>>DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!!... Its sticks out so bad.
The wife and I approach it as 'yep, some idiot would totally do that in real life.'
I think we are too used to our TV shows being very predictable in how they are scripted...not "predictable" in the sense that we anticipate every plot twist, but predictable in what we anticipate NOT to be in the dialogue or the story line. Real life is soooo much dumber! I mean, not to turn the thread political or anything, but like someone in Hawaii pushing the wrong button and sending a missile alert to everyone's cell phones, you'd be screaming at your TV if they did that on a show because "that could never happen" :lol:

And honestly, the so-called trained Orville crew does plenty of dumb shit on their away missions - you gotta roll with it if you're gonna keep watching the show :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

On the opposite side of that I can tell you exactly what will happen 3 or 4 scenes ahead in the Orville. Its as if I wrote it and already know whats coming.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think people just don't know how to approach the show. If it happened in a straight comedy, nobody would bat an eyelash. People are expected to do nonsensical things for laughs or to set up a situation in a comedy. In an adventure/drama, however, it wouldn't fit.

The Orville is both. It mixes the tropes, and it really throws people off when they start feeling one set of tropes and they switch to another without warning. It took me a few episodes to recognize that and watch the show without those assumptions. I've enjoyed it ever since.

But yes, the plots themselves have generally been predictable. The finale, for example. The very second the planet...
Spoiler:
disappeared the first time, I said out loud, "Oh, Who Watches the Watchers meets Brigadoon!"
Knowing that didn't ruin it, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive loved the show and hope it continues. I thought Id get used to it but I haven't. Maybe because I only watched the first 4 or 5 eps then just now watched another and it will be a bit before the next. I just dont watch it enough to get used to it.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pmBut yes, the plots themselves have generally been predictable. The finale, for example. The very second the planet...
Spoiler:
disappeared the first time, I said out loud, "Oh, Who Watches the Watchers meets Brigadoon!"
Knowing that didn't ruin it, though.
I instantly made a reference to the ST show (I think it was Enterprise) where a planet phases into energy for a century or so, then back to matter, etc.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote:Ive loved the show and hope it continues. I thought Id get used to it but I haven't. Maybe because I only watched the first 4 or 5 eps then just now watched another and it will be a bit before the next. I just dont watch it enough to get used to it.
It has been picked up for another season. Not sure if it's a full season or another half season.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 am
Daehawk wrote:Ive loved the show and hope it continues. I thought Id get used to it but I haven't. Maybe because I only watched the first 4 or 5 eps then just now watched another and it will be a bit before the next. I just dont watch it enough to get used to it.
It has been picked up for another season. Not sure if it's a full season or another half season.
I am not positive but I am pretty sure I read that it would be an expanded season and not a full 22-23 episode season.

Here is where I read that: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-orvi ... der-larger

The number of episodes is TBD. It is expected to be at least 14 but still less than a full season.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?