Witcher series by Netflix

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Witcher series by Netflix

Post by El Guapo »

TiLT wrote:
El Guapo wrote:ok, in part because I'm procrastinating, I couldn't help but google people's casting for the series. This one is pretty good. (though obviously way too expensive / star-loaded for the actual TV series here).
It's also based on the game models, and this series is pretty much guaranteed to not be based on the game. Not to mention how he emphasizes major roles from the game who aren't all that important in the novels (Triss for example, but a bunch of others as well). If they base this directly off the novels, I suspect a lot of fans who are only familiar with the series through the games will be pretty surprised with a lot of things about it.
So you're saying that you think Felicia Day would be better as Triss?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel the same way about Felicia Day as Tilt feels about Mads.*

*unintentional MST3K pun there.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It'll be interesting to see how the casting shakes out. It wouldn't surprise me if they tap Polish talent for the lead roles rather than going with anything along the line of the more mainstream names that are being tossed around at the moment.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

More seriously, I assume this will be mostly or entirely unknown actors, with maybe one semi-star involved.
Black Lives Matter.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

El Guapo wrote:More seriously, I assume this will be mostly or entirely unknown actors, with maybe one semi-star involved.
Why was John Rhys-Davies the first name that popped into mind for me?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

El Guapo wrote:ok, in part because I'm procrastinating, I couldn't help but google people's casting for the series. This one is pretty good. (though obviously way too expensive / star-loaded for the actual TV series here).
The last one being the all-too-predictable-but-still-made-me-LOL Sarah Jessica Parker as Roach. Honorable mention for Sean Bean as dead soldier (in the comments).
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

For comparison, here are Geralt and Yennefer from the original Polish TV-series:

Insert witty comment here.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

TiLT wrote:For comparison, here are Geralt and Yennefer from the original Polish TV-series:

They look like Brad Pitt and Minnie Driver. (Minnie Driver would make a great Yennefer!)

And they need to get Brian Blessed in this before he passes away.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They're actually not that far off the character depictions in the video games (to my eye, ymmv). Has CDPR ever commented on whether the TV series, in addition to the books, was an influence on the game?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Max Peck wrote:They're actually not that far off the character depictions in the video games (to my eye, ymmv). Has CDPR ever commented on whether the TV series, in addition to the books, was an influence on the game?
Geralt's appearance in the first Witcher game was based on the actor's looks.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TiLT wrote: It's also based on the game models,
As with so many of the 'looks like' bits, it is also based largely on the hairstyle the actor had at some particular point.

With that said, the look of Geralt in the games is pretty iconic, as it was itself based on the look in the Polish TV series, so I'd be surprised if he didn't match that look. What you need there is the right age and the right 'rugged' bone structure (and the ability to carry the character and show.) The beard and hair are irrelevant.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mads Mikkelsen Henry Cavill to star.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, totally not what I expected. I suppose they'll transform him enough to get him looking like Geralt, but it's hard to picture that particular actor as the grizzled veteran brooder. I think they could have done so much better in the casting department.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

They probably appreciate his dedication to facial hair.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've heard that he's a gamer and petitioned for the role, so that may have something to do with it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hope the unicorn makes an appearance in the series...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I think he'll fine once they get him the white hair and weird eyes. If nothing else, he has the build for it. He's also a legit fan of the books and the games so that earns him some brownie points too.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Did that guy play Freddie Mercury?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:53 pm Did that guy play Freddie Mercury?
No, that was Rami Malek.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 pm I think he'll fine once they get him the white hair and weird eyes. If nothing else, he has the build for it. He's also a legit fan of the books and the games so that earns him some brownie points too.
I agree. And him being into the series and knowledgeable about the character is probably the most important thing - suggests that he'll know how to play the character right.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I actually like Cavill as an actor. But man, going from Mads to Henry is a step down.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No matter who it is it would be weird not having the game's voice actor as Geralt.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually think the games will work against them. The games - especially The Witcher 3 - were so popular that peoples' expectations will be set in a way that makes it almost like they're rebooting a very recent film with beloved actors. That can really backfire. Take Geralt, for example. Game Geralt does Batman style dark brooding. Book Geralt, on the other hand, tends more toward self pity and sulking. Another example:
Hamlet3145 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 pm If nothing else, he has the build for it.
He has build for the game. Book Geralt is skinny, wiry, and sinewy. He looks like a runner, not a tough guy. I'm guessing that they're going to try to copy the game's look to avoid backlash, but a lot of stuff about the games diverges from the books.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

If that's the case, then they'll have to strike a compromise between aspects of the games and aspects of the novels. Because when it does come down to it, the games are a lot more popular than the novels (and I'm sure many are not even aware there are novels), and if people end up not getting aspects from the game, there will be disappointment. If it were up to me, I'd just say, base it on the games as that's what most will be familiar with anyway and basing it off the books is bound to cause confusion.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Except that it's likely different licenses. Kind of the way games based on the Lord of the Rings movies can't use elements only in the books, and games based on the books can't use things only from the movies. There can never be Lurtz in Lord of the Rings online, and there can never be a Tom Bombadil in Battle for Middle Earth.
Montag

Post by Montag »

And the number of people who did not play the games greatly exceed those that have.
words
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm pretty sure the Netflix series is based on the books, and not the game(s). More specifically, I thought the Netflix series was going to focus on the first set of short stories (which is essentially a prequel to the games) from The Last Wish.

And you know what's in there? The story of how Geralt meets the love of his life, Yennifer. Suck it haters!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:58 pm And you know what's in there? The story of how Geralt meets the love of his life, Yennifer.
Speed dating at the Cock and Hen?
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Montag wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:11 pm And the number of people who did not play the games greatly exceed those that have.
The first two, maybe. But the third game brought a whole new awareness about the series and The Witcher in general, and ironically it's very likely because of the game's popularity that we're getting this series. Without the game series, the series itself would be much more obscure.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Montag wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:11 pm And the number of people who did not play the games greatly exceed those that have.
The first two, maybe. But the third game brought a whole new awareness about the series and The Witcher in general, and ironically it's very likely because of the game's popularity that we're getting this series. Without the game series, the series itself would be much more obscure.

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:01 pm Except that it's likely different licenses. Kind of the way games based on the Lord of the Rings movies can't use elements only in the books, and games based on the books can't use things only from the movies. There can never be Lurtz in Lord of the Rings online, and there can never be a Tom Bombadil in Battle for Middle Earth.

Ok, I think I understand. It's a bit like how the Star Trek movies and the TV shows are two different entities with two different owners calling the shots and not being allowed to use content from each other, particularly in the case of CBS and Viacom.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Something like that. It probably also ties in to how the licensing contract between CD Projekt Red and Sapkowski reads. You'd need somene a lot smarter than me to make a real guess. But generally, original content created for the game is owned by CDPR, including new characters, events, locations, and specific interpretations (like looks.)

I think if they're smart, they'll write stories based on the books, but make the visuals very reminiscent of the games. Not enough to infringe, but enough to attract and not alienate the game fans.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

At the same time though, I wonder if they wouldn't be involved as consultants in some manner. But yeah, I think a good compromise would be sounds and visuals from the game to go along with the novel's stories.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hollywood reporting is saying the female leads have been cast:
Freya Allan (The War of the Worlds, Into the Badlands) and Anya Chalotra (The ABC Murders, Wanderlust) join Henry Cavill as Ciri and Yennefer, respectively, in the upcoming fantasy series based on the series of novels by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. The books previously inspired a best-selling video game franchise by Warsaw-based game studio CD Projekt Red.
Of note:
Yennefer, meanwhile, is a sorceress and Geralt of Rivia's (Cavill) main love interest. She is also a mother figure to Ciri.
you'regoddamnright.jpg
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wheres Triss?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Book/Season 3.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

TiLT wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 pm For comparison, here are Geralt and Yennefer from the original Polish TV-series:

Is the Polish TV series available to stream in the US with subtitles/dubs?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow..his eyes should be yellow/gold and hers lavender. Its like they dont know about contacts even if they couldn't afford cgi effects.