Witcher series by Netflix

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TiLT

Witcher series by Netflix

Post by TiLT »

Looks like we're getting a live action Witcher series on Netflix. This could be good.
Insert witty comment here.
hepcat

Re: Witcher series by Netflix

Post by hepcat »

Wow, I did not see that one coming. :shock:

I hope the last half hour of every episode is dedicated to Gwent tips.

p.s. Please don't hire the fight choreographer from Iron Fist. That is all.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: I hope the last half hour of every episode is dedicated to Gwent tips.
Loo-Kee will be in the background of every episode with a new card to explain at the end.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In addition to the fact that it's being made by Netflix instead of someone like Syfy, it's promising that Sapkowski will involved as a creative consultant. Hopefully they'll stay fairly true to the source material given his participation.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tgb

Post by tgb »

Gilbert Gottfried had better be playing Geralt or Netflix will have to answer to me!
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finally! People will be able to see how awesome Yennifer really is for Geralt and not that hussy Triss.

But seriously, that's pretty damn cool. The fact that the author will be involved is probably a good sign too.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote:Finally! People will be able to see how awesome Yennifer really is for Geralt and not that hussy Triss.
If season 1 starts with the events from the 1st book (short stories from "Last Wish"), there will be no Triss and very little Yennefer. Of course, they may want to jump straight into the novels but they'll miss out on a ton of character development and overall universe setup if they do that.

Witcher books have very deep philosophical undertones...hopefully with Sapkowski's participation, Netflix will be able to capture at least some of it and not just turn it into another action series.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote:Wow, I did not see that one coming. :shock:
I've been expecting it for a while. In a post-GoT world (which we are approaching), there is a niche for a dark, gritty-realistic fantasy series, and this one comes with a pre-established fanbase.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Unicorn! Unicorn! Unicorn! And some plot stuff of course...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm hoping to see Geralt spend half an hour whacking away at a Gryphon only to realize that his problem is that he had the steel sword out instead of the silver sword. "DAMMIT ZOLTAN, SWITCHING MY SWORDS IS NOT A FUNNY PRANK NOT MATTER HOW MUCH WE DRANK LAST NIGHT!"
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote:Finally! People will be able to see how awesome Yennifer really is for Geralt and not that hussy Triss.

But seriously, that's pretty damn cool. The fact that the author will be involved is probably a good sign too.
Personally I'm excited for the episode where Geralt and Triss get married, while Yennifer hangs outside drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon and yelling at passersby.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Can't wait for this. I've only played the games 2 & 3, but I may have to go back and read the books now. There's something about this universe and these characters I find really compelling.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: I hope the last half hour of every episode is dedicated to Gwent tips.
First half hour will be spent hording alchemy ingredients for potions he then forgets to drink.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That sounds pretty awesome. As far as I know there was a Polish series years ago, but I don't think it ever hit the North American market, but with the success of the 3rd game, it seems like a good time for something like this.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My main demand is that during combat, Geralt must be consuming a gourmet meal plus alcohol while constantly rolling around to avoid enemies.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm stoked. I haven't actually played the Witcher games yet, but I know one of the producers from my game guide authoring days. (He also works on The Expanse.)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote:I'm stoked. I haven't actually played the Witcher games yet, but I know one of the producers from my game guide authoring days. (He also works on The Expanse.)
You really, really should play Witcher 3, at least. Really one of the best if not the best action RPGs of all time.
Black Lives Matter.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I hope the writing is as good as it is in the games.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I'm stoked. I haven't actually played the Witcher games yet, but I know one of the producers from my game guide authoring days. (He also works on The Expanse.)
You really, really should play Witcher 3, at least. Really one of the best if not the best action RPGs of all time.
I have The Witcher: Enhanced Edition in my Steam library but haven't gotten to it. Perhaps the time has come...
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rumpy wrote:That sounds pretty awesome. As far as I know there was a Polish series years ago, but I don't think it ever hit the North American market.
You can even watch the entire series with English subtitles :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yenn voted Trump.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Zaxxon wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
I have The Witcher: Enhanced Edition in my Steam library but haven't gotten to it. Perhaps the time has come...
It is time. Just don't get discouraged as you wander around that stupid village once you get through Kaer Morhen. Also, the game has a habit of introducing characters that you've never seen but it appears that you're expected to know who they are. Just smile and nod. And don't worry too much about collecting the "women Geralt plowed" cards, they don't have much actual impact on the game. And finally, it *is* a big long RPG, so expect to sink a bunch of time into it.
Blackhawk wrote:Yenn voted Trump.
Nah, she doesn't really care about stupid local politics.
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

El Guapo wrote:My main demand is that during combat, Geralt must be consuming a gourmet meal plus alcohol while constantly rolling around to avoid enemies.
For all the joking around with these things, one thing to keep in mind is that the chance that this series will be related to the games is pretty much zero. The books are somewhat different in tone, at least when it comes to the minutia. Geralt does brew and drink potions in the books too, but it comes off more like the intro to the first Witcher game (which depicts a scene from one of the books) instead of the gameplay itself.

This also means that people shouldn't be holding their breaths for a Geralt and Triss romance. It's going to be Geralt and Yennefer all the way, with perhaps a few other trysts here and there (with Shani in particular).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
It is time. Just don't get discouraged as you wander around that stupid village once you get through Kaer Morhen. Also, the game has a habit of introducing characters that you've never seen but it appears that you're expected to know who they are. Just smile and nod. And don't worry too much about collecting the "women Geralt plowed" cards, they don't have much actual impact on the game. And finally, it *is* a big long RPG, so expect to sink a bunch of time into it.
Blackhawk wrote:Yenn voted Trump.
Nah, she doesn't really care about stupid local politics.
Is it worth it to play Witcher 1 or 2 after having played 3, or will those look too primitive relative to Witcher 3?
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Witcher 2 was good, maybe one of the better RPGs for the year it came out, but it is nowhere near the masterpiece that is The Witcher 3. Still worth playing, but think more Dragon Age than Witcher 3. I didn't think the Witcher 1 was all the great even when it first came out, but it definitely had it's fans. I'm guessing it would seem a bit dated now.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Witcher 1 is very rough at this point. I replayed it about a year ago and was glad I was finally over, it was really more of a chore. Unless you want to be a completionist, I say skip it.

Witcher 2 is probably worth playing though. It still has it's rough spots and it feels small in comparison to both W1 & W3, and some of the environments (namely the forest) are more impressive than anything I've seen in W3 so far. Plus you can port your Geralt to W3. And depending on the choices you make, you could have a super cool/dorky (minor spoiler on Geralt's appearance)
Spoiler:
neck tattoo!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just went back to witcher 3 to finish the last DLC. And now I'm completely hooked again. That's how damn great this game is. :wub:
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:I just went back to witcher 3 to finish the last DLC. And now I'm completely hooked again. That's how damn great this game is. :wub:
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
28 hrs on record

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
184 hrs on record
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

A popular choice from comments on the announcement for Geralt seems to be Mads Mikkelson.

Can we suggest Kate Beckinsale for Yenn?
DD*

Post by DD* »

Dogstar wrote:A popular choice from comments on the announcement for Geralt seems to be Mads Mikkelson.

Only if she gets nekkid. A lot. A whole lot. For plot development, of course.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This could be very good.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Mads would be cool. I was thinking Josh Brolin personally but upon checking apparently he'll be Cable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dogstar wrote:A popular choice from comments on the announcement for Geralt seems to be Mads Mikkelson.

I hadn't thought of that, but it's absolutely perfect.
Covfefe!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I'm sick and tired of the "Mads Mikkelsen for X" that happens pretty much every time there's some kind of fan casting going on. When I see Mads Mikkelsen in a role, I see Mads Mikkelsen in a role, not the role itself. I just don't get why he's so annoyingly popular on internet forums.

Second place on fan casting problems that annoy me is when people come up with choices based on makeup and costumes, not the actor. "This actor looked almost like this role when he played another role in another movie". Give me a break.

Both of these have been going on way too much in the discussions I've seen about the Witcher series so far. I guess I can be glad that casting directors are actual professionals.

/rant
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Mads would rock in the role...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TiLT wrote:I'm sick and tired of the "Mads Mikkelsen for X" that happens pretty much every time there's some kind of fan casting going on. When I see Mads Mikkelsen in a role, I see Mads Mikkelsen in a role, not the role itself. I just don't get why he's so annoyingly popular on internet forums.

Second place on fan casting problems that annoy me is when people come up with choices based on makeup and costumes, not the actor. "This actor looked almost like this role when he played another role in another movie". Give me a break.

Both of these have been going on way too much in the discussions I've seen about the Witcher series so far. I guess I can be glad that casting directors are actual professionals.

/rant
Soooo...caffeine. Probably too much?
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

TiLT wrote:I'm sick and tired of the "Mads Mikkelsen for X" that happens pretty much every time there's some kind of fan casting going on. When I see Mads Mikkelsen in a role, I see Mads Mikkelsen in a role, not the role itself. I just don't get why he's so annoyingly popular on internet forums.

/rant
Sooo....Christina Hendricks for Triss, then?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ok, in part because I'm procrastinating, I couldn't help but google people's casting for the series. This one is pretty good. (though obviously way too expensive / star-loaded for the actual TV series here).
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

El Guapo wrote:
TiLT wrote:I'm sick and tired of the "Mads Mikkelsen for X" that happens pretty much every time there's some kind of fan casting going on.
/rant
Sooo....Christina Hendricks for Triss, then?
And can we get some love for Tyrion Lannister as Zoltan?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

El Guapo wrote:ok, in part because I'm procrastinating, I couldn't help but google people's casting for the series. This one is pretty good. (though obviously way too expensive / star-loaded for the actual TV series here).
It's also based on the game models, and this series is pretty much guaranteed to not be based on the game. Not to mention how he emphasizes major roles from the game who aren't all that important in the novels (Triss for example, but a bunch of others as well). If they base this directly off the novels, I suspect a lot of fans who are only familiar with the series through the games will be pretty surprised with a lot of things about it.